He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
5. Everton
4. Portsmouth
3. Bayern away goals
2. Arsenal FAC final
1. Real (Cunter Cakir)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That 2005 FA cup final, the (2003?) Portsmouth one, Porto with the offside goal, Bayern in 09 where we destroyed them and somehow lost... but the worst was Spurs v United, New year's Day under Moyes, they won comfortably and they played utterly shit. Couldn't get rid of that moron soon enough.

Pav1878

Losing 4-1 at home to Liverpool
Losing 6-1 at home to City
The Porto game
The Portsmouth game
The Newcastle draw at home when they got a pen that was soft as hell and we went on to lose the title on goal difference.
The arsenal, city and Liverpool losses this year have been awful to watch. Seriously awful.

Too many to mention.

Old Ma Crow

The one where that thug Carragher took Nani out with his studs straight into his shin(lots of blood) and that twat Gerrard telling Nani to get up. Utter scum.

RedNed77

Nothing hanging on mine like a champs league, but the 3-3 at Anfield where Ince scored and they mustered a comeback. Hated that game :mad:.

edit: @SerenityValley beat me to it :mad:

Last edited:

youngrell

Echo the sentiments of the handful of frustrating CL exits. These stick out more than the league losses because it was instantly over.

Steerpike

I still think about Portsmouth in the FA Cup. The year Portsmouth went on to win it.

We had so many missed sitters, so many bad ref decisions against us, Portsmouth were shit and then won with a jammy penalty. We should have won about 5-0.

We won the PL and CL that year. And I’m absolutely convinced we would have won the treble again had we won that match.
Yes, I remember the blatant barge into the back of Ronaldo in the penalty area when the score was 0-0. We may well have completed our second treble but for some wasteful finishing and a bizarre performance from the officials.

The FA Cup final against Arsenal when we absolutely thrashed them 0-0, then lost on penalties, was also very annoying.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Porto. Scholes offside. About 3 yards on side in reality.
The great sliding doors moment of modern football. How many more titles would Fergie have won if Jose hadn't ended up at Chelsea, all off the back of that decision?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The 5 - 3 against Leicester

We saw what could have been. I think if we won that day that team would've gone on a run, Van Gaal wouldn't have put the shackles on either.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The great sliding doors moment of modern football. How many more titles would Fergie have won if Jose hadn't ended up at Chelsea, all off the back of that decision?
That decision probably affected Wenger more than Fergie. Arsenal were at their peak and had just won the title when Mourinho arrived in England while united were in transition. United were able to rebuild, Arsenal weren't, they might have won an extra title or two before United returned to the top.

Siorac

It was annoying seeing fecking Keown jumping on Ruud, but we won the league that year, so hard to be too fussed about it. The Champions League screw ups were far worse.
No we didn't. That was their unbeaten season. We won the league in the previous season (and beat Arsenal at Old Trafford as well).

redshaw

Yeah the Porto one was bad. I still see the ball flying over a stranded Phil Neville for their goal. Wonder if Jose ends up at Chelsea if that doesn't happen?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
No we didn't. That was their unbeaten season. We won the league in the previous season (and beat Arsenal at Old Trafford as well).
Thinking about it, we drew late 2-2 away in 2003 late in the season- the offside Henry goal. Can't remember the OT game.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Nani red card. Porto being lucky. But the one that pisses me off the most is probably Monaco in '98.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
West Brom 2-2 at Old Trafford in 11/12 I think it was. Van der Saar’s butterfingers gifts WBA an equaliser and those were the only two points we dropped at home all season. Robbed of a 100% home record by a goalkeeping clanger.

Siorac

Thinking about it, we drew late 2-2 away in 2003 late in the season- the offside Henry goal. Can't remember the OT game.
2-0, Veron and Scholes. First goal came after a handball by Van Nistelrooy, second was some brilliant work by Scholes. Arsenal did feck all despite being hyped to infinity and beyond early on in the season.

AR87

- West Ham away in 2015 after going up 2-1, we just got manhandled the rest of the way and lost 3-2. Would have put us in 4th over City and cost them CL in Pep's first year at the helm.

- Cakir/Nani/Real

- Blackburn 0-0 in the final stretch of the 09/10 season. Berbatov was a complete waste. Cost us the title.

- 4-4 draw against Everton in 2011/12. Ridiculous to throw away the three points in the manner we did.

- The entire knockout tie against Bayern in 09/10. Stupid late goal conceded in the first leg, and Rafael getting suckered into being sent off by Ribery and a moronic offical in the 2nd leg.

jem

Everton match at the tail end of the 2011-12 season. Absolutely infuriating.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Semi-final against Dortmund in '97, missed so may chances. Every chance we would have gone on to win it too, it if we got through, heartbreaking!
This is what came to my mind also. Also think we had one or two disallowed but not sure if I’m remembering correctly.

big rons sovereign

4-1 defeat to city at the start of Moyes reign. It was clear as day the man's a cretin and should've been fired then.
Downhill from there.
Was on my honeymoon too.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Everton 4-4 is the immediate one that comes to mind. The Real Nani red card one was rough too - and it annoys me that so many people argue it was a fair red card.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Barcelona 2009 Champions league final - we should've been the first team to win back to back CLs.

Everton 4-4 in 2012 - The league was lost that day.

Real Madrid 2013 - Red card for Nani was absurd.

Schmeichel=God

I like this question. Should get some interesting responses.

For me I have a few.

Necaxa, Vasca da Gama 2000 - Club World Championship
&
1-2 vs Zenit 2008 - Super Cup

Back when we were still on top of the English game it seemed we didn't appreciate how important these 'Charity Shield type' competitions were in persistently peddling our being perceived as a super team across the world; how that can affect future stars decisions on which club to go to, which clubs they view as the best.

Yes we dropped out of the FA cup in 99/00 to enter the Club World Championship (as it was called), but we went there woefully under-prepared and outclassed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20660585. Look at Real's media drive when they win the Super Cup, the Club World Cup, the old Intercontinental Cup. The effect is cumulative.

Add in our performances throughout the best part of a decade and we're left with youngsters the world over thinking City amongst others are the clubs to go to. You can imagine the discussions between foreign fathers and sons;
Father: "Son, Manchester United are probably the biggest club on earth, they...."
Son: "*roflmao*, I've never seen them win anything. Their football is horrible. And but, but...City...Pep...De Bruyne...Aguero...PSG...Neymar...Mbappe..."

Now Liverpool's recent success should have them joining the pack prising future top talent away from us; starting with Sancho if today's article proves true: https://www.skysports.com/football/...-sanchos-next-club-kaveh-solhekol-the-insider

1-1 vs Celta 2017 - Europa League

The pathetic way we approached and ended this game filled me with disgust. Also see.....

0-0 vs Sevilla 2018 - Europa League
&
1-2 vs Sevilla 2018 - Europa League

Another disjointed dour Mourinho approach to both legs. These performances plastered proof far and wide for all to see how far we had fallen.

1-1 vs Liverpool 2019 - League

The way Ole changed the formation twice, single handedly handing Liverpool the ascendancy in a game they were choked out of with our initial approach. For 65+ minutes we were full value for the three points and for breaking, early in the season, Liverpool's now ridiculous run. This game had all the feeling of another invincibles stopper. What that loss could have done for Liverpool's mentality at a time when City were closer... Also, despite my tactical grievances, all we had to do was close down the cross.

There's probably more but these were the ones that popped straight back into my mind. The Nani red card is definitely still a sore point. But when I consider than injustice I just end up thinking about Drogba vs Ovrebo, and I'm alright again.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The 2005 Arsenal v United FA Cup final. We absolutely battered them and somehow managed to hit everything but the back of the net. I can't remember another single match where one team was so dominant, and still managed to lose.

The Irish Connection

I still think about Portsmouth in the FA Cup. The year Portsmouth went on to win it.

We had so many missed sitters, so many bad ref decisions against us, Portsmouth were shit and then won with a jammy penalty. We should have won about 5-0.

We won the PL and CL that year. And I’m absolutely convinced we would have won the treble again had we won that match.
Portsmouth immediately came to mind. So frustrating.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Portsmouth and Madrid were the first 2 that came to mind and the first 2 mentioned in the thread.

That Portsmouth one stands out for so many people as an infuriating game, because of what could have been. Could have been well on the way to another treble!