Which old match still annoys you?

zenith

The city win at OT on the day of the landmark Munich anniversary.

Siorac

Jesus, that Olic goal. Carrick played like a big jessy in these matches for about two years, I remember. That Bayern goal being the height of his passiveness.
The Rafael red in that game had me spitting blood but in hindsight, the real turning point was the Olic goal. It was so stupid, so avoidable, right at the worst possible time. Had it been 3-0 at the break, we would have done it.

Josh 76

Most of these I agree with. But if I could change one match, there is no doubt whatsoever it has to be the 2009 CL final against Barcelona. That victory would have meant a CL and PL back to back double. Just imagine that. The worst thing about that game was Utd were favourites and we should have won. I still have nightmares about it 11 years later.

TRUERED89

The 50 Year anniversary, where United were just wearing old school kits with no branding or names on the back? Yep shocking that was. OT exhibiting all those scarfs and the occasion itself just seemed to flatten the team completely.

Even more shockingly those scumbag City fans were also holding up their scarfs in respect to 58' too, makes a change.

Hellboy

Barca 2009, Portsmouth 2008, Bayern 2010 in this order.

As much as 2013 against Real was painful, I think it's highly likely we would have lost to either Dortmund or Bayern.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Sure, we were the better side at Stamford Bridge and were massively fecked by the officials. They outplayed us at Old Trafford though: we looked seriously toothless without Rooney, they created more and better chances - and the Drogba goal is massively overblown. Yes, it was miles offside but they were already 1-0 up and then our consolation goal was a handball anyway. They deserved that win overall.

feck Gerrard though. His slip was the sweetest karma imaginable.
Nah they were the better team in the first half. When Drogba scored we were actually well on top with plenty of time still to go.

It was also an inexplicably bad decision. Drugs was literally a metre offside and he was standing still, so it's not like it was even a timing thing.

The Porto one was annoying fit example but at least you can see how the linesman thought Scholes was offside. With this one the only explanations are that the linesman either didn't know what offside was, want even looking, or got it wrong on purpose.

Siorac

Nah they were the better team in the first half. When Drogba scored we were actually well on top with plenty of time still to go.

It was also an inexplicably bad decision. Drugs was literally a metre offside and he was standing still, so it's not like it was even a timing thing.

The Porto one was annoying fit example but at least you can see how the linesman thought Scholes was offside. With this one the only explanations are that the linesman either didn't know what offside was, want even looking, or got it wrong on purpose.
We never really looked like scoring until that Macheda handball though. We played far, far better at Stamford Bridge where we were quite literally robbed.

I actually can't really see how the linesman thought Scholes could have been offside. Not even close. Both decisions were absolutely shocking and in the category of "didn't even know what offside was".

Gopher Brown

2011 was not a great team compared to 2009 and their dominance was completely expected.
When you reach the final of the best competition in club football you expect to have a chance - they were on a different planet to us.

On paper at least, having reached the final, we were the 2nd best team in Europe, but the gulf in class was enormous.

Gopher Brown

I hate it when we do something different/flashy and then lose. Like if we've had a training camp abroad and lose the next game, or, in this case, special kits and the whole ceremony of the occasion.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, but it makes us look like idiots when we don't then win.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
When you reach the final of the best competition in club football you expect to have a chance - they were on a different planet to us.

On paper at least, having reached the final, we were the 2nd best team in Europe, but the gulf in class was enormous.
Yeah. I do think Barcelona 2010/11 was the best club side of all time.

DVG7

Most of these I agree with. But if I could change one match, there is no doubt whatsoever it has to be the 2009 CL final against Barcelona. That victory would have meant a CL and PL back to back double. Just imagine that. The worst thing about that game was Utd were favourites and we should have won. I still have nightmares about it 11 years later.
it’s funny how retrospectively, we were massive underdogs in that game, given what that Barca side went on to achieve

AshRK

Madrid 2013 boils my blood. We dominated Madrid just like we dominated Bayern in 2010 and both times we good booted out. Nowadays there are so called top teams who don't even dominate anyone like that and yet win CL.

I was also pissed after losing to West ham in 2015-16 season, which meant we lost out on the top 4 position. We blew a 2-1 lead to lose 3-2.

Paul_Scholes18

The Bayern one when. We totally dominated, but a silly red card för Rafael did cost us a lot.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Costinha's goal vs Porto.

Borussia in 1997 was also annoying and United was quite close in reaching European trophy plus the further heartbreak of Cantona saying goodbye.

In last six years there was few matches with LvG at helm when players were specifically told not to shoot on goal.

GMoore23

6-1 Loss to City at Home. I felt completely humiliated just watching the game so can't imagine how Sir Alex and the players felt. If I remember correctly, Johnny Evans got sent off and then instead of going more conservative, Sir Alex actually kept more of an attacking formation to try and get back into the game, we got absolutely slaughtered for that decision. Worst defeat at home in something like 60 years.
I'm not sure I like this thread, Brings back too many bad memories :(:(

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That game when Park and Rafael were our midfield. I think we lost the League because of of that by losing 2 points.

That Bayern CL game when we were 2 goals up, and Rafael did something stupid and was sent off.

THat semi-final CL against Dortmund, where Schmeichel had a brainfart, spilling out an easy to catch long range shot.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Bayern 2009-10. Such fluke goals by them.

2011 CL final was more upsetting to me than 2009. In 2009 the match was over in the 1st half once Eto'o scored. They just played keep-away for the rest of the match. 2011 Barca might have been a better side, but we pulled a goal back and were 1-1 by half-time. We just had to hold on for one more half and anything could have happened.

Teja

Bayern 09-10. It's somewhat unbelievable that the 06/07-12/13 United side only won 1 CL. Two finals, Two semi finals (3 with Milan 06/07 - But they were better than us ultimately that year), bar that freak once in a lifetime Barca team, we should've won more.

Somewhat less famous ones:

Leicester 5-2 - still rankles, bunch of thugs, wasn't really happy they won the title that year.
Leeds FA Cup (2010? one of the initial rounds) - Was really sick / miserable that day and was hoping a Utd win could cheer me up. We served up shit on a stick instead.

Maticmaker

Every match we should have won but didn't and every match we lost and should have lost... well ever match we lose I suppose!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Leverkusen in 2002 (final at Hampden against Madrid would have been epic), Porto in 2004 (we would have won the CL), Portsmouth in 2008 (we would have won the Treble) and Bayern in 2010 (I think we could have taken Inter in the final)

The FA Cup Final with Arsenal in 2005 gets an honorable mention. I'm over it now, but it took a while.

Last edited:

Josh 76

Bayern 2009-10. Such fluke goals by them.

2011 CL final was more upsetting to me than 2009. In 2009 the match was over in the 1st half once Eto'o scored. They just played keep-away for the rest of the match. 2011 Barca might have been a better side, but we pulled a goal back and were 1-1 by half-time. We just had to hold on for one more half and anything could have happened.
Eh?
2011 we got battered.

BestRed

This is what came to my mind also. Also think we had one or two disallowed but not sure if I’m remembering correctly.
Yeah, that's a good shout. It really got to me. That Lars Ricken goal too, before he just disappeared into nothingness
Ah had forgotten the little feckers name. Yeah missed chances, disallowed goals and Cantonas last European match for us too, depressing night all round.

LDUred

Real Madrid (H) in 2013 in the last sixteen of the Champions League.

We were ahead in the tie when Nani was sent off for a reckless challenge. The FIFA laws actually dictated that it was only worth a yellow card, at worst.

You never know how the game would've panned out whether he was sent off or not, but it certainly opened the door for Real. We seemed shell-shocked by the decision and Mourinho punished us by bringing on Modric. I remember when the challenge happened and the palpable shock in the stand when Cakir produced the red card. It seemed like an ordinary, inconsequential stoppage in the game as there was no real reaction from the players to the challenge itself.

To be honest, I've never really got over how harsh that dismissal was or how crucial it turned out to be.

pascell

That game when Park and Rafael were our midfield. I think we lost the League because of of that by losing 2 points.

That Bayern CL game when we were 2 goals up, and Rafael did something stupid and was sent off.

THat semi-final CL against Dortmund, where Schmeichel had a brainfart, spilling out an easy to catch long range shot.
I think the bold was Blackburn at home and we also ended the game with Jones and Carrick at CB, Yakubu bullied them both that day.

Pughnichi

Few great shouts reading through.

for me it would be the cup final v Arsenal when we battered them in 90 mins only to lose on penalties.

secondly and the one that really frustrates me was v Leverkusen in champs league semi final. 2xJohnson headers off the line. A Veron volley destined for back of net deflected away. The goal line clearance from a Forlan volley with the keeper in no mans land was agony. Even OGS had a clear chance as well at the death. Such a frustrating tie to have lost. To be fair, it was a good Leverkusen team.

Luke1995

Those two finals against Barcelona gets me very angry. We should have played them one-on-one, attack vs attack. Even if we lost, would have been better than defending with fear like it happened.

Ace Krampus

I think the bold was Blackburn at home and we also ended the game with Jones and Carrick at CB, Yakubu bullied them both that day.
I sometimes wake up at night thinking about that game. Berbatov had a double but the moment that stands out is when he found himself marking that beast Chris Samba and had no choice but to foul him.

That game cost us Pogba, the first time, anyway, and we all basically knew it at the time.

Mr Smith

Most obvious ones already mentioned, but to go with a more recent one, losing to West Brom 1-0 and handing City the title a week after we beat them 3-2 Was absolutely infuriating.

stubie

A lot of matches annoyed me from Dec 28th 1997 - April 18th 1998

That season we threw the league away

Rafaeldagold

FA Cup final vs Arsenal in 2005. We battered them, they were absolute shite yet they still won on pens.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
You bring back some bad memories mate. I recall Cole missing a few sitters in the final minutes of that game
I've always believed that had we beat west ham that day and clinched the league, we would also have beaten Everton in the FA cup final a week later very comfortably.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The 2005 FA Cup Final against Arsenal. The biggest injustice EVER. How the Arsenal won is beyond comprehension -- a lesson in life that its not always about fairness.
Cnuts!