Which player do you find hardest to dislike?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As an antidote to Dwazza’s negativity (boo!) which player do you consistently have a soft spot for, even in the midst of our most shambolic performances?

For me it’s Fred. No matter how shit he plays I never feel like he’s giving anything less than 100%. Plus he seems like a nice, friendly bloke. Second place goes to DDG. Not sure why. But reasons don’t have to be rational in this thread.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Phil Jones.

I was one of what felt like a small handful on here who was companionate towards his situation before the Wolves match. I’m pleased that he’a beginning to get the recognition (simply that he’s a human that’s been struggling) that he deserves.

OL29

Fred for me too, his attitude is exemplary and I don’t think he’s as incompetent as a lot seem to think.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Always liked Lindelof. Even though he's clearly not a good enough player he always comes across well and he seems to at least try give it his all.

Ixion

Bruno, Baily, Fred

Edit: Mata should go without saying for everyone

Last edited:

Corridor of Uncertainty

Fred.

He doesn't have elite ability on the ball, he never will. But one thing you can never accuse him of is not working hard. A shame his more talented team mates don't have the same mentality.

Last edited:

Rockets Redglare

Fred and Cavani. Just love the effort and pride they seem to have when playing for United.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Phil Jones.

I was one of what felt like a small handful on here who was companionate towards his situation before the Wolves match. I’m pleased that he’a beginning to get the recognition (simply that he’s a human that’s been struggling) that he deserves.
That basic human compassion would put Lingard high on my shortlist. Just slipped a few places because of all this bollockology about him being a possible mole.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Fred Bruno and Cavani. Jones and Mata can be included as well.

Last season would have included Rashford. But his surgery before start of the season while warming the bench at Euros irked me.

Bennie Blanco

DDG

He handled the critiscm he received incredibly well, and now he's back to his best.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That basic human compassion would put Lingard high on my shortlist. Just slipped a few places because of all this bollockology about him being a possible mole.
Yeah same, I had a similar thoughts about him when I read about him having to be a father figure to his younger siblings and generally having a lot of shit on his plate.

I think he’s manufactured his current situation though, angling for a big payday while painting his situation the same as Donny’s.

Tarrou

McTominay

probably a fair bit of youth player bias coming through, but he's a top lad

Speako

Martial…….. Only joking of course.

Definitely Cavani. And Varane for leaving Madrid for us, instead of the other way around for a change.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Quite a few actually:
DDG, Lindelof, Jones, AWB (controversial I know, but I dont think there have been instances where he has given less than his 100%) , McT, Mata, Bruno, Cavani.

There were instances where I thought I cant dislike Rashy, but in some games he just seems as not giving his all or playing for himself instead of the team

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
As an antidote to Dwazza’s negativity (boo!) which player do you consistently have a soft spot for, even in the midst of our most shambolic performances?

For me it’s Fred. No matter how shit he plays I never feel like he’s giving anything less than 100%. Plus he seems like a nice, friendly bloke. Second place goes to DDG. Not sure why. But reasons don’t have to be rational in this thread.
Good list because for me it’s also those two that came to my mind first. The amount of retrospective hate that De Gea got during his poor form (and I’m not denying that he was an absolute liability at the time) was ridiculous, people were willing to forget everything he’s done for us, rewriting history.

Mata would join the list as well even though I’m not sure if he still constitutes as a player.

I also love Jones & Bailly for some reason. Probably similar to Fred — you just know that they’re giving it all even though sometimes it’s not enough (or way too much in Bailly’s case).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Quite a few actually:
DDG, Lindelof, Jones, AWB (controversial I know, but I dont think there have been instances where he has given less than his 100%) , McT, Mata, Bruno, Cavani.

There were instances where I thought I cant dislike Rashy, but in some games he just seems as not giving his all or playing for himself instead of the team
Rashford’s a weird one. This time last year I had nothing but love for him. Now - based on performances alone - I’m struggling to find even a hint of fondness towards him. Which probably says more about me than it does about him. Part of the reason I can’t warm to him now is how miserable he always looks. That should make me feel compassionate but somehow has the opposite effect.

I have a horrible feeling we’re going to find out at some point that he’s been going through some fairly serious mental health issues and we’ll all feel like cnuts…

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I like the players that work hard and give everything. There’s not many of them unfortunately - Scott, Fred, Cavani, Bruno (whinging aside) and Jones. If everyone had their attitude we’d be doing fine I think. I also like Lindelof - he’s improved so much since he arrived and his on-the-ball ability is massively underrated. Many of the others are very talented but seem to think 1 good game in 4 is enough and start acting with a bizarre arrogance - their baseline in terms of work rate is also truly baffling.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I actually find most of them ok, a bit bland but ok; the problem is there are few obvious twats and that stands out over the bland.

like @anant I too have no issue with AWB, he comes across as a bit lost rather than unlikeable.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fred Cavani Bruno McT and Dan James last season. He should have been given more responsibility. Couldn’t have been any worse than Martial whole season or Rasford second half of last season and all of this one so far.

Work rate and going through the motions is our main problem and has been for ages. Those players above and Herrera knew what kind of intensity was needed to succeed here but they were the exception to the rule.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Rashford’s a weird one. This time last year I had nothing but love for him. Now - based on performances alone - I’m struggling to find even a hint of fondness towards him. Which probably says more about me than it does about him.
I dunno, their effort is pretty much how we always judged them as footballers. And based on that he's not earned much love from me.

LoneStar

Tier 1 - DDG

Tier 2 - Fred, Bruno and Greenwood. All for different reasons.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah its fred for me as well , he may be shit sometimes but he always does his best and thats what matters in the end

Also Dave because why not

MUFC OK

Pogba because he has world class ability. I might be alone in this though.

L1nk

Fred, because whilst he may not be the best, he's still better than McTominay, and his heart and enthusiasm is in the right place, even if it often doesn't come off

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mata. It'd be like hating a particularly PR-savvy puppy.

De Gea second, a bit less than Mata because I can at least see plenty of reason to be frustrated with him sometimes. But it reached a point over the last few seasons where if I wasn't watching a game and saw we had conceded my first thought was "please don't be another De Gea mistake", as watching him get kicked around online made the already disheartening experience of being a United fan that bit too glum.