Which player do you find hardest to dislike?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Phil Jones. No matter what you think about him, he puts in the effort every time. His problems have always really boiled down to poor footballing brain, and then he puts his body in the shit trying to correct his mistake. Hence all the injuries.

Below is the perfect example of Phils unlimited determination to defend, and the perfect example of why he gets injured so much. Luckily, no injury here. But it could have been horrific.

I cant fault any player who puts themselves on the line like that. Phil Jones is someone I want to succeed.Whether here or somewhere else, I want him to do well.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There are many, but I'll single out Phil Jones.

He's been nothing short of professional during his entire career here. Never complained about a thing. He's been out with injury for so long and made it known recently just how hard it is on a personal level, and what it meant when the manager came out and defended him after Rio opened his mouth. He's suffered abuse in public from "fans" who embodies the matchday thread at Redcafe.

It speaks to the absolute class of our matchgoing fans when Jones left the pitch in tears following the Wolves debacle. Not to boos for the effort, but to fans singing his name. Just imagine what that means after being out for so long. Its a moment he'll remember for the rest of his life, and a reminder that there is a lot more to football than winning a game. Its about how you treat the people around you, and in this regard the fans at the Stretford End and the Sir Bobby Charlton stand did the club proud.

This is a player who doesnt feel like he deserves to have a testimonial match because he doesnt feel the fans want to attend one. I think fans absolutely would attend. The matchgoing fans treat their players well and with respect.

I don't know if Jones will have a career here after his comeback, but if one of his last moments in the club is walking off the pitch with the song of the fans in his ears and tears of pride in his eyes, I'd say thats a good sendoff.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Phil Jones. No matter what you think about him, he puts in the effort every time. His problems have always really boiled down to poor footballing brain, and then he puts his body in the shit trying to correct his mistake. Hence all the injuries.

Below is the perfect example of Phils unlimited determination to defend, and the perfect example of why he gets injured so much. Luckily, no injury here. But it could have been horrific.

I cant fault any player who puts themselves on the line like that. Phil Jones is someone I want to succeed.Whether here or somewhere else, I want him to do well.
Gets a bit lost in all the post-match misery but a similar moment of lunatic bravery almost set Bruno up to score an equaliser against Wolves.

Loony BoB

Generally play quality itself isn't a reason for me to dislike an individual, but the signs of their character. In order of how "sacred" they are to me:

#1 - McTominay, Fred, Cavani. Hard workers, they never suggest they don't care about the result or put in less effort than I'd like.
#2 - Greenwood, Rashford. Home grown bias, never suggested a desire to move that I'm aware of.
#3 - Telles, Shaw, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, Maguire. Haven't suggested a desire to move to another club that I'm aware of.
#4 - Ronaldo, legend. Still a bit burned from him leaving us in the past, though.
#5 - Mata, Matic. Past it, but I appreciate their past nonetheless.
#6 - Verane - Pure class makes me not want to dislike him, I've admired him for a long time.
#7 - Jones, Bailly, Sancho. I don't think they're doing poorly due to lack of trying, and I'm not aware of them ever trying to leave.
#8 - Elanga, Diallo, Henderson, Lingard, Dalot, VDB. Not given the gametime in the past year to justify a dislike. I like to give people time.

I don't dislike players easily, needless to say.

Bruno is a moaner and gets too many yellow cards for pissing on the ref, needs to work harder. DDG punches too often instead of just catching the ball when compared to previous keepers we've had and it is a pet peeve of mine. I don't dislike either of them, regardless, but they aren't pure saints in my book. I'd still put them on the team every week regardless.

Pogba, actively dislike. Guy is a mercenary and a half.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Easily 70% of the squad are likeable chaps. This became a huge dilemma for Ole who is also likeable person trying to please everyone.

De Gea takes the prize for me. Back in Moyes and LvG days when we played some shocking stuff with some of Fergie's players he was already putting life saving performances, this trend remains today. No matter how shit he'll be commanding his defensive line, he'll always get my vote as someone who actually did something for the club.

jem

Mata is at the top of the list - love the guy (more for human reasons than footballing ones.) Same goes for Cavani. Rashford is a weird one: I love the person but I can't stand what he becomes on the pitch. I have a soft spot for Martial, and am generally quite fond of the likes of DDG, Lindelof and Dalot. I'm indifferent towards Greenwood (great talent, but not sure about the attitude); have a love/hate with Bruno and Ronaldo; and pretty much can't stand the rest.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Generally play quality itself isn't a reason for me to dislike an individual, but the signs of their character. In order of how "sacred" they are to me:

#1 - McTominay, Fred, Cavani. Hard workers, they never suggest they don't care about the result or put in less effort than I'd like.
#2 - Greenwood, Rashford. Home grown bias, never suggested a desire to move that I'm aware of.
#3 - Telles, Shaw, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, Maguire. Haven't suggested a desire to move to another club that I'm aware of.
#4 - Ronaldo, legend. Still a bit burned from him leaving us in the past, though.
#5 - Mata, Matic. Past it, but I appreciate their past nonetheless.
#6 - Verane - Pure class makes me not want to dislike him, I've admired him for a long time.
#7 - Jones, Bailly, Sancho. I don't think they're doing poorly due to lack of trying, and I'm not aware of them ever trying to leave.
#8 - Elanga, Diallo, Henderson, Lingard, Dalot, VDB. Not given the gametime in the past year to justify a dislike. I like to give people time.

I don't dislike players easily, needless to say.

Bruno is a moaner and gets too many yellow cards for pissing on the ref, needs to work harder. DDG punches too often instead of just catching the ball when compared to previous keepers we've had and it is a pet peeve of mine. I don't dislike either of them, regardless, but they aren't pure saints in my book. I'd still put them on the team every week regardless.

Pogba, actively dislike. Guy is a mercenary and a half.
He played the most games in football last season and carried us for as long as he could. One player isn’t going to be enough to win anything but it’s a step the right direction. We burned him out and he let us. He's entitled to a moan or a rough patch of form, look at what is going on around him. We need more like Bruno who actually care. They want the fans to be happy at the end of the day. His main problem is he’s trying to do everything by himself and it’s not going to work when teams have your card marked. Ronaldo was the worst signing we could have made for Bruno. You just had to look at them at slow boring international level to know that they don’t compliment each other enough to go and win us the league or the CL

Swiss_Red89

Rashford. His break through was such a nice story and he was so likeable in his first seasons. When on fire I absolutely love watching him. He has become annoying recently though. But there is hope that he turns his form and behaviour around.

Other than that it's Jones, always had a soft spot for the lad.

Loony BoB

He played the most games in football last season and carried us for as long as he could. One player isn’t going to be enough to win anything but it’s a step the right direction. We burned him out and he let us. He's entitled to a moan or a rough patch of form, look at what is going on around him. We need more like Bruno who actually care. They want the fans to be happy at the end of the day. His main problem is he’s trying to do everything by himself and it’s not going to work when teams have your card marked. Ronaldo was the worst signing we could have made for Bruno. You just had to look at them at slow boring international level to know that they don’t compliment each other enough to go and win us the league or the CL
To be fair, "he needs to work harder" was a very rough criticism, he works harder than many others. I definitely only get annoyed for his moaning at the ref. It's something I disliked about Ronaldo back in the day, flapping his arms around every time he went to ground without getting a foul. Bruno gets carded for (presumably) saying offensive things to refs way more than any other player in our squad. He barely gets carded for actual fouls or anything, it's his personality that gets him into trouble. Have passion, yes, yell at the sky, don't abuse the ref.

Agree that Ronaldo hasn't suited our playstyle at all. I said it before we even signed him that I don't feel he's the right signing for us.

Rare opinion, I remain convinced that Ole wasn't the reason we were doing badly at the end of his tenure (although his sacking was inevitable by the time he went). He was partly to blame as he is the one that refused to mix up his coaching staff, but I think the coaching staff were and still are the problem, and Pogba is the other problem. Ronaldo is a great person to have in your team but I do agree that he isn't the right player for Ole's system and Ole was screwed the moment we signed him, because he was blasted for not playing him when he didn't, and blasted for always playing him when we did, despite us having built up for a different style of forward for the past two years.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Everyone who plays for Utd unless they try and engineer a move to Liverpool or City.

Dan_F

Rashford. It’s hard to know what is happening behind the scenes at the moment, but I do believe he’s been completely hung out to dry in terms of his fitness and this, as well as the general team performance, has completely shot his confidence.

Apart from that, I wouldn’t flinch if any other player was sold. Apart from Greenwood obviously.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I find Fred, McT and Cavani hard to dislike, they always give 100%.

I personally also find the following players hard to dislike even though some of them are out of form / should leave / need to improve, etc:
Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Maguire, DdG, Matic

I would believe Sancho and Varane join my hard to dislike group soon but so far I have not managed to build any “connection” to them yet due to our disastrous ongoing season.

The United

Rashford’s a weird one. This time last year I had nothing but love for him. Now - based on performances alone - I’m struggling to find even a hint of fondness towards him. Which probably says more about me than it does about him. Part of the reason I can’t warm to him now is how miserable he always looks. That should make me feel compassionate but somehow has the opposite effect.

I have a horrible feeling we’re going to find out at some point that he’s been going through some fairly serious mental health issues and we’ll all feel like cnuts…
Good point. I felt the same that something seriously is going on with him in his mind.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fred and Mata, don't enjoy them as players but are both likeable characters.

spiriticon

Jones and Mata.

I've warmed to Jones a lot more recently. Went through a lot of injuries in the last couple of years, and prior to that was an internet meme for facial expressions.

Yet he is still here doing his thing. Never said a word even though he was wronged by Ferdinand.

Good on him. Strong character.

Zevvythered

Phil Jones for what he’s been through.

Yes he has made a fortune from United but the game against Wolves told me everything about the lad. Reminds me of Graig Gordon had a really bad injury on his knee and could have retired on a massive insurance claim from the Premiership, but decided to give it one more go and at 40 has just signed another 2 year contract with Hearts!! #legends

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Said it before so won’t repeat too much but don’t have any feeling of love/hate for any of them beyond performances.

So all I could answer is who ‘seems’ to me to be perhaps the nicest of the players currently:-

Mata - just seems a nice guy. I can imagine him having time for people

Bruno - On a good day I think he would appreciate fans and take time out of his day

Pogba- For the stick he gets, he’s known to be generous with his time to the foundation and the young academy kids. Is a dedicated professional family man. No drama’s off the pitch and has been helpful to the like of Bruno etc when he signed.

But who knows really? I remember Mark Hughes having a reputation for being reserved off the pitch but meeting him as a kid he was great. Took loads of time to talk to us and gave us a mint. McClair…..what an arrogant tosser.

GL21

The biggest mercenary in the squad is Ronaldo.
Absolutely with you about Ronaldo. Started when he first wanted to leave but was made to stay by SAF for another year. Then the ignored fact he was considering city before his return.

Said it before so won’t repeat too much but don’t have any feeling of love/hate for any of them beyond performances.

So all I could answer is who ‘seems’ to me to be perhaps the nicest of the players currently:-

Bruno - On a good day I think he would appreciate fans and take time out of his day

Pogba- For the stick he gets, he’s known to be generous with his time to the foundation and the young academy kids. Is a dedicated professional family man. No drama’s off the pitch and has been helpful to the like of Bruno etc when he signed.

But who knows really? I remember Mark Hughes having a reputation for being reserved off the pitch but meeting him as a kid he was great. Took loads of time to talk to us and gave us a mint. McClair…..what an arrogant tosser.
Wow about choccy, disheartened to hear he was a tosser. I seen him, Cole and blackmore a few years ago at an event and he was hilarious the way he told stories about SAF.

Anyway I feel I'm unable to dislike
DDG just too much gratitude towards him.
McT, Greenwood probably home grown bias
Varane, for such a superstar he seems humble and down to earth.
Shaw and Jones I just really always hope the best for them, both seem good lads and have had misfortunes.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Absolutely with you about Ronaldo. Started when he first wanted to leave but was made to stay by SAF for another year. Then the ignored fact he was considering city before his return.

Wow about choccy, disheartened to hear he was a tosser. I seen him, Cole and blackmore a few years ago at an event and he was hilarious the way he told stories about SAF.

Shaw and Jones I just really always hope the best for them, both seem good lads and have had misfortunes.
Yeah, listen it could’ve been a bad day for him to be fair but he was rude and obnoxious and we were about 13 years old.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Mata, Cavani, Fred, Lindelof, de Gea.

Maureen-yo

I know Shaw’s dad quite well and by proxy have met Luke a couple of times. Can honestly say that he is really down to earth and genuinely a nice guy, he’s quite reserved and not a primadona or ego type at all.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
As an antidote to Dwazza’s negativity (boo!) which player do you consistently have a soft spot for, even in the midst of our most shambolic performances?

For me it’s Fred. No matter how shit he plays I never feel like he’s giving anything less than 100%. Plus he seems like a nice, friendly bloke. Second place goes to DDG. Not sure why. But reasons don’t have to be rational in this thread.
With you on Fred. He’s almost lovably shit

acnumber9

Ronaldo. Based strictly on what a great player he is/was and what he’s previously done at United. Despite the obvious reasons to dislike him and doubts as to whether he should be here now, I find it impossible not to still love him.

GL21

I know Shaw’s dad quite well and by proxy have met Luke a couple of times. Can honestly say that he is really down to earth and genuinely a nice guy, he’s quite reserved and not a primadona or ego type at all.
Ah I'm delighted to hear this, thanks. Restores faith that not all these young millionaires become d1ckheads. Would have felt conned if it was any other way as he does lead me to believe he's sound. Even with me being irish he's one I definitely support while he plays for England and I was buzzing with his efforts in the euros. Actually he also went up a notch in my estimation with his last interview after the wolves game

studs

Fred, I always had a soft spot for. Seems a very likeable character and always gives his all when playing football.

caid

To be honest theres a lot. I find its a pretty likable team.
Fred was the first to come to mind and I've never felt any negativity towards Phil Jones, just feel bad for him and his injuries. De Gea, Mata, Cavani all very easy to like. Disliking Ronaldo feels like a waste of time somehow. Pretty hard to dislike Rashford

Red_Aaron

Lingard

Born and raised a united fan
Came through the ranks to play for the first team and his country
Scored the winning goal in an fa cup final
Plays with a smile on his face and dances when he scores
Loves united, loves football, plays on the front foot. He's one of us

Literally baffles me how anyone can dislike the guy tbh

stevoc

No wonder that was probably Choccys last mint Hughes gave you.