Which player do you find hardest to dislike?

MrBest

Phil Jones for me. Compared to 90% of this current lot of players, one thing you know you will get from him is 110%. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont, i appreciate that ethic a lot.

Fred would be up there too, runs around a lot, never stops, its not really his fault he has been play DM for 3 years. The other i would say is brandon williams, yes he is on laon, but again, work ethic, just throws himself in there whenever and wherever.

Work ethic and commitment get me all gooey, eveyone loves a cult hero, our two times prem winner phil jones, takes my vote.

Irwin99

Probably Ronaldo, although his actions have annoyed me a lot. Some people in history are just lovable a-holes that you know are self-centered, self-serving and almost certainly don't love you as much as you love them, but still you forgive them for all their brilliance and the fact that they make you smile. He's the Alcibiades of Manchester :D .

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably Pogba for me - someone I work closely with met him earlier last year and the interactions they had with him are about what I expected. He seems like a super nice and charismatic guy.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
As an antidote to Dwazza’s negativity (boo!) which player do you consistently have a soft spot for, even in the midst of our most shambolic performances?

For me it’s Fred. No matter how shit he plays I never feel like he’s giving anything less than 100%. Plus he seems like a nice, friendly bloke. Second place goes to DDG. Not sure why. But reasons don’t have to be rational in this thread.
Definitely Fred. No airs and graces, has his obvious limitations but I admire his work ethic. The lad just never stops running. McTominay seems like a fairly normal, likeable guy as well.

BuzzKillington

DDG, Jones, Varane, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred, Mata, Greenwood, Cavani & Rashford, but Rashford is currently working his way onto my shit list with his self pitying performances on the pitch.

The rest of them can get in the sea.

Edit: Picking one, McT

Born2Lose

McTominay probably in relation to how many seem to hate him on the forum.

Tries his best, doesn't moan or down tools and gets paid a fraction of what guys like Mata earn for never playing.

Whether he's good enough or should be starting games or not is not on him, it's the managers decision.

Same probably applies to Fred.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Fred. Bruno. AWB. Maguire. Varane. Cavani. Ronaldo. Sancho. Lindelof, DDG, Greenwood and even Shaw to some extent. I struggle to dislike any of them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Probably Ronaldo, although his actions have annoyed me a lot. Some people in history are just lovable a-holes that you know are self-centered, self-serving and almost certainly don't love you as much as you love them, but still you forgive them for all their brilliance and the fact that they make you smile. He's the Alcibiades of Manchester :D .
Ronaldo might honestly be the easiest to dislike sportsperson in history. And that's including Tonya Harding.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Definitely Fred. No airs and graces, has his obvious limitations but I admire his work ethic. The lad just never stops running. McTominay seems like a fairly normal, likeable guy as well.
Yeah I'll say Fred too. He's a diminutive, hard working, cheerful Brazilian. Can play some God awful football sometimes but he's also underrated by most fans and media.

We need an rvn

Bruno, Baily, Fred

Edit: Mata should go without saying for everyone
Complete opposite for me...he's been milking a salary for the last 3-4 years without hardly even getting on the pitch but because he's a nice guy we keep him and give him an extension

Very frustration but I agree with Fred 100%

Eric Bailly and Ronaldo for me. One makes a lot of mistakes and the other is way past his best. I like Erics gung-ho aggressive play always giving 110%. Ronaldo is obviously just viva Ronaldo!

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There are many, but I'll single out Phil Jones.

He's been nothing short of professional during his entire career here. Never complained about a thing. He's been out with injury for so long and made it known recently just how hard it is on a personal level, and what it meant when the manager came out and defended him after Rio opened his mouth. He's suffered abuse in public from "fans" who embodies the matchday thread at Redcafe.

It speaks to the absolute class of our matchgoing fans when Jones left the pitch in tears following the Wolves debacle. Not to boos for the effort, but to fans singing his name. Just imagine what that means after being out for so long. Its a moment he'll remember for the rest of his life, and a reminder that there is a lot more to football than winning a game. Its about how you treat the people around you, and in this regard the fans at the Stretford End and the Sir Bobby Charlton stand did the club proud.

This is a player who doesnt feel like he deserves to have a testimonial match because he doesnt feel the fans want to attend one. I think fans absolutely would attend. The matchgoing fans treat their players well and with respect.

I don't know if Jones will have a career here after his comeback, but if one of his last moments in the club is walking off the pitch with the song of the fans in his ears and tears of pride in his eyes, I'd say thats a good sendoff.

This is incredible. He's one of the last remnants of a title winner within our squad. Incredible.

wolvored

Greenwood. People say he is greedy, but he looks our best option in attack if you include running dribbling passing as well as scoring. Maybe he is greedy as he feels he has to do more than the others. Hes always the first to be dropped/subbed when he doesnt deserve it. In fact I could see him moving on if we get it wrong again in the summer.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Fred Pogba Bailly Jones Dalot, basically those players the majority of the Caf hates, I like.

Fred mostly, out of them all though, mainly because some my mates (other clubs fans) think he’s really bad but thats simply not true. Want him to score a banger every match.

Volksie316

Always found Lindelof to be very professional and has a very good attitude.

Of course, his performances can be a lot better, but you can't question his work ethic or professionalism.

CloneMC16

Fred 100%. Over the past couple years, I've felt he gets the most stick out of all of our players. He's definitely not a great player, but he's better than what a lot of the fans say. Even if you want to criticise him for not being good enough on a technical level, you can never question his commitment and how hard he tries on the pitch. Never seen him do or say anything negative off the pitch. Even after getting tonnes of abuse. Always smiling when he's on it. Seems like a great guy.

oleoleoleole

If the players were to read this thread, I think it would be an eye opener. Look how frequently Fred appears on peoples lists. The first and most important thing we fans want to see is a player giving their absolute all, then talent comes second. Not the other way around. Just run a bit more and look like you give a damn….first step to having the fans on your side. It really isn’t complicated!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Slightly surprised at how often Fred has been mentioned.

Not that I find any player particularly dislikeable but the guy who served a year doping ban wouldn't be the one I feel most warmth for either. Tends to taint the "he never stops running" praise.

Last edited:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Phil Jones.
Always seems like he cares.Has actually won a league with us. Tries his damndest every time.
Went into the United end at Anfield supporting the team.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Which thread? This one is way better. Shows how low we’ve fallen. I like Bruno; always will. Jones, too. I like Shaw and Maguire. I have a soft spot for Martial. Mata seems like a great bloke. Greenwood is cool. For top prize it’s a draw between Matic - great player and personality and Edinson.

Kopral Jono

Pogba for me. He went through our ranks, is actually world class on his day and scored a goal in a World Cup final as a our player.

Mercurial

Bruno, Jones, Matic, Mata, Fred, McT, DDG, Cavani. They are all likeable and put effort into it even if some of them lack a bit 'je ne sais quoi'. Mata & Matic are pretty much grandfathered in the squad at this time.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
DDG
McTominay
Varane
Cavani

Also Bruno. This might be controversial because he’s very vocal on the pitch which might come across as whingy to some but he always gives it his all along with his obvious talent.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
DDG, Cavani, Bruno, Varane....that's basically it

Mick1

I believe I have developed a soft spot for Rashford. I always used to like Martial better up until recently, and I still find myself deeply frustrated with his performances at times, but if you look at the human behind the footballer, that guy is actively trying to improve society. Top rate human

Phil Jones, I still have a bit of hope in the back of my mind that he will go on an injury free run and still reach some of that pre injury potential. Absolutely loved him in his first couple of seasons when he was dominating the flank or central midfield ( his performance vs peak Spain put him on the map as a future England great. Shame.

Fred is what Anderson could've been for us, without any of the talent but a lot more commitment.

I also like Fletcher. Random I know, but him coming back after years out with intenstinal issues and surgeries and what not, people love a good come back story

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
McTominay and Lindelöf for me. I just like them, and the more people pile up om them, the more I do. Not world beaters by any means, obviously, but you don't need 11 world beaters

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Mata - always big hugs from him, most genuine/sincere man I’ve heard of. Never said a bad word about anything, never complain even he is not playing for majority of games

DDG - he is mostly likeable as he has been saving our ass on so many occasions

Varane - can’t find a reason to dislike him, he has been a model professional/classy player

Ronaldo - I am huge Ronaldo fan so there’s no way I could dislike him. Plus he is GOAT, legend at our club, and currently our top scorer too. In fact he is my most like footballer.

Last edited: