Which player will dominate football in the next decade?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Haaland. There is nobody else who really stands out. Mbappe maybe but I think Haaland has a better attitude.
Someone else coming out with this? Where does this notion come from? Because of some media stuff about him falling out with people? He’s a competitive guy. His attitude as far as success and winning is perfectly fine, and if the past is anything to go by, he’s gonna do a lot more of it in his career than Haaland will. It doesn’t help that Haaland has literally the worst agent in sport.

UpWithRivers

It depend where they end up. If they play for PSG then they will never be considered great because of the quality of the league. Same for most leagues really even if they play for Bayern. They need to be in the Prem or Spain. Lets say Mbappe plays for Real Madrid and Haaland PSG and both have a great season. Mbappe will always be considered the greater player. Even if Mbappe scores like 25 and Haaland 30 or something like that.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It depend where they end up. If they play for PSG then they will never be considered great because of the quality of the league. Same for most leagues really even if they play for Bayern. They need to be in the Prem or Spain. Lets say Mbappe plays for Real Madrid and Haaland PSG and both have a great season. Mbappe will always be considered the greater player. Even if Mbappe scores like 25 and Haaland 30 or something like that.
That’s false. You don’t need to be in the Prem or Spain to be considered great.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Spain yes, England nah, apart from EPL fanatics, individual awards have hardly been ever dominated by EPL players.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Mbappé is better than Haaland, not because of his scoring, he is clearly more talented and can play very well outside of the small area.

Resuming Mbappe qualities to just scoring is ridiculous, he reminds me of young Henry, and i doubt anybody would think that Haaland has the same qualities as Henry.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Someone else coming out with this? Where does this notion come from? Because of some media stuff about him falling out with people? He’s a competitive guy. His attitude as far as success and winning is perfectly fine, and if the past is anything to go by, he’s gonna do a lot more of it in his career than Haaland will. It doesn’t help that Haaland has literally the worst agent in sport.
Yeah, in the context of this thread mentioning Mbappé's attitude is extremely strange. Mbappé is highly competitive and upset at the smallest of his underperformances, based on how he is described on the training ground he must be insufferable but what is said mirrors players like Henry or Keane.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Mbappé is better than Haaland, not because of his scoring, he is clearly more talented and can play very well outside of the small area.

Resuming Mbappe qualities to just scoring is ridiculous, he reminds me of young Henry, and i doubt anybody would think that Haaland has the same qualities as Henry.
Mbappe does not have the same attributes as Henry. Not even young Henry. He has faster acceleration but doesn't have the size and strength nor the finesse of Henry.

Haaland is a completely different animal. He is Adriano, without the mental issues.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yeah, in the context of this thread mentioning Mbappé's attitude is extremely strange. Mbappé is highly competitive and upset at the smallest of his underperformances, based on how he is described on the training ground he must be insufferable but what is said mirrors players like Henry or Keane.
Absolutely. It’s very weird. This guy has achieved more than anyone in history by age 22 bar a tiny handful of all time greats and people keep talking about his ‘attitude’. Ridiculous. He’ll do well with PSG (again) this year, then he’ll go to Real Madrid and become a legend. That is what’s most likely to happen IMO, if he stays injury free (knock on wood).

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Mbappe does not have the same attributes as Henry. Not even young Henry. He has faster acceleration but doesn't have the size and strength nor the finesse of Henry.

Haaland is a completely different animal. He is Adriano, without the mental issues.
He’s a far better player than young Henry was. Whether he’ll go on to eclipse peak Henry remains to be seen, there’s work to do in that regard.

Hester_manc

I want to try with a bid on a player who is not yet known, but who will be really big. I think FC Copenhagen's Roony Bardghjis will become very big. He is just 16 years old, but has already made his debut in the best Danish league on the 21st of november this year. He was only 16 years and 6 days old. In his 2nd league match he scored a great goal.

He is winger, technically good, physically stronger than many adults. He is Swedish, but born in Kuwait. He is the youngest player ever in the Danish league and the youngest goal scorer.

lexisonfire

Supports
Dortmund
Perhaps Haaland but he has a horrible agent in Raiola. Look at Pogba's career.

Ultimately players who shine at BVB have the potential to do well elsewhere but they must pick the right coach who wants to develop them further (e.g. Gundogan suffered an ACL injury and Pep made the team wear tribute shirts :lol: that's how much he's appreciated ) rather than a club that offers the highest wages. Greed ruins career, see Dembele. Lewandowski unfortunately chose to stay in the BL where he was most comfortable, he could have earned more elsewhere but nobody can argue he made a wise career move. Young Dortmund talents look ubermotivated because they are striving for a top club move and big pay cheque, but the ones who succeed post-BVB are those who chose a coach who genuinely wants to develop them into top players. Haaland needs to talk to top coaches ( Pep Klopp Tuchel maybe ETH if he joins Utd) and decide based on the role they offer, not listen to Raiola tell him how much they pay per week.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Perhaps Haaland but he has a horrible agent in Raiola. Look at Pogba's career.

Ultimately players who shine at BVB have the potential to do well elsewhere but they must pick the right coach who wants to develop them further (e.g. Gundogan suffered an ACL injury and Pep made the team wear tribute shirts :lol: that's how much he's appreciated ) rather than a club that offers the highest wages. Greed ruins career, see Dembele. Lewandowski unfortunately chose to stay in the BL where he was most comfortable, he could have earned more elsewhere but nobody can argue he made a wise career move. Young Dortmund talents look ubermotivated because they are striving for a top club move and big pay cheque, but the ones who succeed post-BVB are those who chose a coach who genuinely wants to develop them into top players. Haaland needs to talk to top coaches ( Pep Klopp Tuchel maybe ETH if he joins Utd) and decide based on the role they offer, not listen to Raiola tell him how much they pay per week.
Pogba made the mistake of joining a poor United side who was in shambles after SAF left. His reputation got tarnished for not winning anything relevant with United (PL or CL).

Same is gonna happen with Frenkie de Jong at Barcelona

I hope Mbappé and Haaland join established sides rather than joining some big club on shambles looking for a rebuilt.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Will probably switch every year there is not a definitive answer. Their isn't one player even remotely close to the worse version of Ronaldo or Messi.

We will never see anyone like those two again.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
In terms of goals. Haaland and Mpabbe.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Will probably switch every year there is not a definitive answer. Their isn't one player even remotely close to the worse version of Ronaldo or Messi.

We will never see anyone like those two again.
We obviously will because we’ve already seen two players that are arguably better in Pele and Maradona. We’ve had Alfredo DiStefano before that. Then there’s all the players pre the 50s that were not even filmed. There’s obviously a player of that quality that comes along every 20-30 years.

SportingCP96

Supports
We obviously will because we’ve already seen two players that are arguably better in Pele and Maradona. We’ve had Alfredo DiStefano before that. Then there’s all the players pre the 50s that were not even filmed. There’s obviously a player of that quality that comes along every 20-30 years.
I meant right now. There is not a talent in the game that comes remotely close to Ronaldo or Messi.

Obviously we will get a generational talent close to but probably not better in the next 10 years.

Hoof the ball

Either Mbappe or Haaland, however......

I'm going on record in saying that both Ansu Fati and Vinicius Jnr will match the standards of the above and maintain it over the next ten years.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I meant right now. There is not a talent in the game that comes remotely close to Ronaldo or Messi.

Obviously we will get a generational talent close to but probably not better in the next 10 years.
Oh right, I agree with you there.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

This is ridiculous. Mbappé, Halaand? Not remotely close, have you ever seen them :houllier:

We've had talents not far off those two in the past decade(suarez, robben, zlatan...), and we are seeing a couple right now

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Defenses are only getting better now than in the Messi Ronaldo decade. So players will perform worse and everyone will be overly nostalgic of the two.

Conversely, I always thought the decade prior to both had much more legendary players compared to Messinaldo’s peers (Fat Ronaldo, Del Piero, Totti, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Seedorf vs Suarez, Hazard, Iniesta, Ibra etc) but maybe thats because defensive systems also evolved from 00s to 2010s. Rinse and repeat for next decade

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
This is ridiculous. Mbappé, Halaand? Not remotely close, have you ever seen them :houllier:

We've had talents not far off those two in the past decade(suarez, robben, zlatan...), and we are seeing a couple right now
Both will not dominate the Sport the way Ronaldo and Messi have.

pacifictheme

Defenses are only getting better now than in the Messi Ronaldo decade. So players will perform worse and everyone will be overly nostalgic of the two.

Conversely, I always thought the decade prior to both had much more legendary players compared to Messinaldo’s peers (Fat Ronaldo, Del Piero, Totti, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Seedorf vs Suarez, Hazard, Iniesta, Ibra etc) but maybe thats because defensive systems also evolved from 00s to 2010s. Rinse and repeat for next decade
I think more players would be romanticised from the last decade if not for Messi and Ronaldo. Aguero has 300 career goals? Not impressive when Ronaldo has 800 etc.

If they had been in the del piero era it would have probably felt the same.

The other side is that football is arguably more about the collective now than 15 to 20 years ago as has been discussed in that other thread.

Ladron de redcafe

Both will not dominate the Sport the way Ronaldo and Messi have.
Nobody is going to win 7 balón d'ors. It's going to be impossible to dominate in the way Messi has.

Ronaldo is more reachable.

On topic, I wonder whether Haaland will end up as the best player on the planet at some point?

SportingCP96

Supports
Nobody is going to win 7 balón d'ors. It's going to be impossible to dominate in the way Messi has.

Ronaldo is more reachable.

On topic, I wonder whether Haaland will end up as the best player on the planet at some point?
Such a silly post that I won’t even bite the bait.

Hester_manc

I have mentioned Roony Bardghji in this thread, but I will have to highlight him again. Christian Eriksen's childhood friend, Rasmus Falk, who is a teammate with Roony in FC Copenhagen, says that Roony is the greatest talent he has ever played with. Bigger than his buddy, Christian Eriksen. The Danish pundits, former national team players, say that Roony is the greatest talent ever in the Danish league - which must mean larger than, among others, the Laudrup brothers and Elkjær. He is still only 16 years old and plays in the starting 11 for the team that sees itself as the biggest in Scandinavia. Unfortunately, he is not Danish, but Swedish.

I posted a link earlier in the thread. Here's a link from his last match from this weekend. He plays with No. 40 on his back. He did okay in this match and scored, but remember, if you watch the clip, that he is 16 and not 20:

Ladron de redcafe

To suggest that he's a better talent than Laudrup is a big claim. Let's see how good he turns out to be. From the way you describe him, he seems destined to be a top level player.

Hester_manc

To suggest that he's a better talent than Laudrup is a big claim. Let's see how good he turns out to be. From the way you describe him, he seems destined to be a top level player.
It is not my claim. I refer to the Danish pundits saying that he is the greatest talent ever in the league. I then mention some of the greatest talents that have been up to now. Whether he will be as big a player as Eriksen or the Laudrup brothers, no one knows. The different pundits say so too - but his talent is the greatest they have seen in the league.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I have mentioned Roony Bardghji in this thread, but I will have to highlight him again. Christian Eriksen's childhood friend, Rasmus Falk, who is a teammate with Roony in FC Copenhagen, says that Roony is the greatest talent he has ever played with. Bigger than his buddy, Christian Eriksen. The Danish pundits, former national team players, say that Roony is the greatest talent ever in the Danish league - which must mean larger than, among others, the Laudrup brothers and Elkjær. He is still only 16 years old and plays in the starting 11 for the team that sees itself as the biggest in Scandinavia. Unfortunately, he is not Danish, but Swedish.

I posted a link earlier in the thread. Here's a link from his last match from this weekend. He plays with No. 40 on his back. He did okay in this match and scored, but remember, if you watch the clip, that he is 16 and not 20:

Well, when he goes to Spain and dominate La Liga like Michael Laudrup did, with both Real Madrid and Barcelona....then we can talk about the "best danish talent ever".

Until then he is just an unproven youngster with talent, like Robinho, Afellay, Drenthe, etc

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I don't think anyone will "Dominate" the way Messi has and I think we will see a return to the pre Messi era of "Pass the Parcel" when we talk about the world's best player.

Haaland and Mbappe obviously the front runners, when I watch Foden I see an absolute superstar and Pedri if he can avoid his more injury problems will be in for a shout too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
My take from this thread is Mbappé needs to leave France asap :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pintu

Mbappé is already dominating. See how Paris plays and their results with and without him.

wr8_utd

:'(
My take from this thread is Mbappé needs to leave France asap :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbappe is great but the Ronaldo fan in the thread is right when he says no one is going to dominate like Messi and Ronaldo have done. I'll be stunned if anyone even puts up those numbers for 15 years straight.

wr8_utd

:'(
Either Mbappe or Haaland, however......

I'm going on record in saying that both Ansu Fati and Vinicius Jnr will match the standards of the above and maintain it over the next ten years.
IF he can stay fit that's a decent shout but he seems to have way too many recurring injuries and I have a feeling injuries will adversely impact his career. Pedri will never have the stats to match the goalscorers but he looks easily the best young player in the world right now. The maturity (and skills to go with it) with which he plays is just unbelievable.

Righteous Steps

Mbappe is great but the Ronaldo fan in the thread is right when he says no one is going to dominate like Messi and Ronaldo have done. I'll be stunned if anyone even puts up those numbers for 15 years straight.
Haaland is already on his way.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Well, when he goes to Spain and dominate La Liga like Michael Laudrup did, with both Real Madrid and Barcelona....then we can talk about the "best danish talent ever".

Until then he is just an unproven youngster with talent, like Robinho, Afellay, Drenthe, etc
Wouldn't you talk about "best Danish player ever" at that point? (if he had been Danish) For me a talent is just what you say, an unproven youngster, and I'm pretty sure these guys are judging Roony within the parameters of the Danish league. They're not saying he's better at 16 than other players who have gone on from the Danish league and then become some of the best players in the world later in their career, just that he's showing more promise right now than they did when they played in the league.

Otherwise you could never say that a teenager is a bigger talent than an established superstar even if they are indeed better at that age, which sort of misses the point of the word talent. (at least in the way I define it)

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

Still very early days, but he looks like the real deal. The way he just strolls past defenders is something I’ve never seen in Superligaen. Nevermind from a 16 year old.

Big future ahead of him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why not? Mbappé(and Haaland) are already coming close now. And the sport is heading in that direction in general. Top strikers are scoring more than at any point over the past 30 years

Mbappè is 23, he's been performing at a roughly similar level or even better than Messi or Cristiano at the same ages since he was 18. He was already decisive in winning a world cup and reaching a CL final, not to mention winning a bunch of league titles, including one with Monaco in which he was their best player once he started playing consistently