Which players will be the biggest winners and losers under Rangnick?

Cabby

Ha, what ? Dalot is just as poor with the ball.
Dalot is not good on the ball, just average. Telles is poor on the ball compared to Shaw.
When his competition is AWB he is definitely the better option when it comes to basic footballing ability... doesn't take a genuis to see that. I dont even rate Dalot, I just think AWB's skill set isn't suited to Rangnick's style at all.

As far as Shaw vs Telles goes it's not a quality issue. I don't think he has the mentality for it (Poch and Mou have both been critical of that), which is why I have said it depends how he will adapt.

Either way it'll be interesting to see how the team shapes up over the next few months.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
De Gea getting his shit together? You cannot be serious? He’s consistently saved our ass all season!
He has made some great saves, but that doesn't mean he necessarily fits into what Rangnick needs out of this team. De Gea has been inconsistent too often over last several years. There is no guarantee he will not start making horrible errors again, second part of the season, just like he's done several times in the past

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He'd be absolutely woeful in midfield.

Maguire is above-average on the ball for a defender: he can bring the ball out and pick out passes when he has the entire pitch in front of him. Put him in midfield where he has to receive it on the turn under pressure and he'd be hopeless - it's a completely different skill.
I'm not saying he's a midfielder, I'm saying as a CB he can roam into midfield and pick up passes which means he's a ball playing CB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Matic will be the losers imo so don’t be surprised if VDB end up stays while Matic leaves. As a midfielder, he is too slow and has no stamina to play in high intensity press system.

lex talionis

Speaking of Martial, it’s hard to imagine that he gives a shit whether he’s a winner or loser under new management.

largelyworried

I'm really hopeful Rashford and Greenwood will up their game under Rangnick. There's really no reason that a couple of young, pacy players like those guys can't be excellent at pressing. Its not like asking a slow player to become fast, pressing is something that can be learned.

Lee565

As many predicted, It looks like bissaka is not going to get it all his own way with clear favouritism shown towards him like ole did after Dalot's performance in the past two games.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Messi Neymar and Mbappe will be biggest losers by far. Joke aside, I don’t know much about RR, but if his pressing game is similiar to poch, then Fred will be a huge winner. the good thing is that each of our players beside those that are getting older in age can adopt a good pressing game.
First goal in ralf regime.. Of to a great start. Always knew he was a scapegoat

Newtonius

Nice knowing you McTominay, not mobile enough and hes so sloppy with one touch football.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sancho looks the biggest winner so far.
Bruno is by far the biggest loser, he is a total misfit for that deeper role. He's not effective that far from goal, totally useless off the ball and limited on the ball as he's being tackled and pushed around constantly. It doesn't happen around the box so often because players are less willing to dive into tackle, that's where he should play.

Rashford is so off form I'm not even considering him.

Foxbatt

Rashford is the obvious winner because he does feck all and he gets to play and do whatever he wants on the pitch. At least with Ronaldo, he tries hard and Bruno does run around too.

Tragically Hip

He has made some great saves, but that doesn't mean he necessarily fits into what Rangnick needs out of this team. De Gea has been inconsistent too often over last several years. There is no guarantee he will not start making horrible errors again, second part of the season, just like he's done several times in the past
Honest question: what does Rangnick need from a keeper that DDG doesn't provide?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Honest question: what does Rangnick need from a keeper that DDG doesn't provide?
The way De Gea has been playing this season is hard to not love. But looking at longer tenure:

1. De Gea has had some horrible dips in form that most goalkeepers of his experience and skill usually don't. So - long term reliability and consistency?

2. Skills-wise I think De Gea's biggest weakness that he never has been able to fix is inability to effectively come forward during defense. He mostly plays on the goal line. Even Dean is much better at this aspect and it is a skill that a well rounded goalkeeper of a major club should have in their arsenal

All that said, in his current form, De Gea is obviously great and super valuable for us, definitely not our problem

Marcus

McTominay is going to be a star for Ralf. Mainly because he seems to be able to follow instructions - His passing has become more progressive in the last few games. In addition to his natural gifts like stamina, determination and shooting ability, I predict that he will be an absolute powerhouse of a player in Ralf's system by the end of this season.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
So far Fred, Sancho, Mctom, Dalot and Telles are the biggest winners.

Shaw, AWB and Bruno the losers.

It's only been 3 and a half games though so very small sample size.

simplyared

In terms of improvment wouldn't surprise me if he can get Fred more on the front foot. Definately a player in there. Feel pretty sure RR will develop him further.

Daengophile

It makes zero sense what many people are saying here.

No player has had enough game time or even training time to show Rangnick whether they can do what HE wants

The key question for the players is whether they want to stay at Manchester United to show what they can do. And in the cases of players holding out for contracts it should be "sign now or be placed on the market"

kundalini

I reckon Elanga will find his way in, his speed is very useful for such a system.

Dalot will probably find more minutes too.
Respect.

I've read every post in this thread. Yours is currently the most accurate by a mile. While Dalot gets 7 optimistic mentions and perhaps by implication, benefits from the 11 who expect Wan-Bissaka to lose out, Elanga only gets 3 positive mentions.

The number of people who have Donny Van de Beek as a winner is just unreal. The confidence in Sancho also looks questionable at this point. 12 mentions for Lingard as a winner don't appear wise so far.

The Cafe correctly predicted Martial would struggle and that Fred would benefit. 8 had McTominay as a winner, while 14 viewed him as a likely loser. The 8 people who predicted Juan Mata to be a loser, seem on track at the moment.

Interestingly, while 15 thought Luke Shaw would be a loser, only 2 mentioned Telles as a winner.

Last edited: