Which players will be the biggest winners and losers under Rangnick?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Messi Neymar and Mbappe will be biggest losers by far. Joke aside, I don’t know much about RR, but if his pressing game is similiar to poch, then Fred will be a huge winner. the good thing is that each of our players beside those that are getting older in age can adopt a good pressing game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
My favourites. James if he was still here would have been useful too. I wonder who RR will bring in. What workhorse gems he has up his sleeve and will it work out in a more difficult league.
James wouldn't have been that useful. Rangnicks said in the past he prefers quicker minds than quicker feet. Of course they need to know how to press and have stamina, but he doesn't want dumb players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Personnel wise I'm not sure if we'll see a dramatic change. Certain guys like Sancho will instantly be key though IMO. Fred as well will continue to be key. Others like Van de Beek I'd be tempted to say yes with his history in Ajax, but he won't get in ahead of Bruno anyway. Maybe alongside Bruno and Fred? My guess is we see something like:
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Varane Maguire Shaw
Van de Beek Fred Bruno
Sancho Ronaldo Rashford​

Newtonius

Personnel wise I'm not sure if we'll see a dramatic change. Certain guys like Sancho will instantly be key though IMO. Fred as well will continue to be key. Others like Van de Beek I'd be tempted to say yes with his history in Ajax, but he won't get in ahead of Bruno anyway. Maybe alongside Bruno and Fred? My guess is we see something like:
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Varane Maguire Shaw
Van de Beek Fred Bruno
Sancho Ronaldo Rashford​
Cavani for Ronaldo imo but yeah, far too attacking, and its exactly what you want to see.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Shaw had been in diabolical form for a while at the time when RR made that comment. Most people on here thought we needed an upgrade on him too.

As for the OP - who knows. I think we could see some surprises.

Hard to imagine Pogba as part of a well oiled, hard pressing "heavy metal" outfit, though.

SAFMUTD

I don't see any players loosing with this, they'll get way better coaching and will certainly improve. Some will lose their starting spot but that's on them.

Davicho

Winners: Sancho-Bailly-Dalot

Looser: Maguire-Wan Bissaka

Lee565

I think lingard could be a winner in this and make him change his mind on staying with the club if he fits well into the setup and believes the next manager will be of the same philosophy and style of play.

I think this means bye bye for pogba though as I don't believe he will hold out till the summer to find out who our true permanent manager will be

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes I wasn’t sure with him as I think his best role is as a box-to-box, high intensity player and in that respect Ragnick’s style will suit him.

However, I think he will face greater competition for that position from VDB and may find himself either out of the team or playing permanently as a DM which is not his strength IMO. Maybe in a more “front foot” team he can be coached to succeed in that role.
There's a hell of a lot to work on with McTominay from his positioning to how he receives the ball and all sorts in-between, so he's going to get a lot of drilling and repetition put into him, I would expect.

If McTominay is receptive and willing to learn, it should be a really exciting time for him that should put him out the other side a far better player than he currently is.

I think he'll lose his place too, but his onus has to be on being ready to go and up for the challenge when he gets his chance to shine, so it will be paramount for him that he does his best under the new tutelage.

I believe he, Wan Bissaka and Shaw are going to get the most dedicated programs of the lot as Rangink needs modern full-backs and McTominay, as one of so few midfielders, really has an important role to play, even if that's off the bench.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He apparently prefers younger players, mainly buying those under 23. Not sure where this leaves Old Man Ronnie

Member 101269

JLINGZ no more rabbit runs; Martial called out; Maguire too slow.

I just wonder who will come with him, he cannot do it alone

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's impossible to tell, an head coach with an actual vision and coaching skills can be transformative for players and from the outside it's difficult to tell who is going to click with him. Martial was good under Van Gaal who is a bit of a maniac, same with Rashford and Lingard.

The only player that is a bit of a worry is Maguire because it seems that he doesn't fit with a high defensive line.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Will benefit greatly
Sancho van de Beek Greenwood Shaw

Will struggle to adapt
Rashford Pogba Martial McTominay

Will benefit because the team gets some proper coaching at last
Everyone else

JPRouve

Scout
He played Raul at Schalke
Raul was brilliant at Schalke, it was a joy to watch him. It's so weird to see Rangnick at United because for some reason I was following Schalke closely at the time and they were very entertaining.

edcunited1878

It's impossible to tell, an head coach with an actual vision and coaching skills can be transformative for players and from the outside it's difficult to tell who is going to click with him. Martial was good under Van Gaal who is a bit of a maniac, same with Rashford and Lingard.

The only player that is a bit of a worry is Maguire because it seems that he doesn't fit with a high defensive line.
Not necessarily that Maguire isn't a bad fit. Rangnick mentioned in one of the YT videos that has been shared, CBs don't have to be fast to play a high back line, but they have to mark the forwards tightly as the players ahead are pressing and closing down when trying to regain possession.

Maguire is in wretched form and confidence is miles deep. Lindelof starts over Maguire on merit with Varane. But then Varane needs to be managed and get his fitness in order.

JPRouve

Scout
Not necessarily that Maguire isn't a bad fit. Rangnick mentioned in one of the YT videos that has been shared, CBs don't have to be fast to play a high back line, but they have to mark the forwards tightly as the players ahead are pressing and closing down when trying to regain possession.

Maguire is in wretched form and confidence is miles deep. Lindelof starts over Maguire on merit with Varane. But then Varane needs to be managed and get his fitness in order.
It's not about speed, it's about the fact that Maguire positioning and anticipation are often suspect, on top of that he isn't agile and turns very slowly so can't compensate for his other issues. His actual speed is perfectly normal.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Gives me a bit of hope for Mejbri and/or Galbraith.

pebbles8

Losers A.W.B, Shaw, Mcguire and Lindelof, hopefully Martial and Matic never play again

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's not about speed, it's about the fact that Maguire positioning and anticipation are often suspect, on top of that he isn't agile and turns very slowly so can't compensate for his other issues. His actual speed is perfectly normal.
If his first steps were in his head, I'm not sure how much his pace would ever be spoken about. Unfortunately...

edcunited1878

His agility isn't the best, but positioning and anticipation can be coached back into him. He's shown he can do it more than not from most of last year and then some. But he's all over the board right now. Would not mind seeing him dropped for Lindelof once Varane is fit.

But with Ralf being appointed as interim manager, he will be able to sound out every player in and around the first team, including younger players like Amad, Elanga, etc.

Then with that in mind, he'll work with Murtough, Fletcher, and co. He's going to be their mentor and teacher.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Will benefit greatly
Sancho van de Beek Greenwood Shaw

Will struggle to adapt
Rashford Pogba Martial McTominay

Will benefit because the team gets some proper coaching at last
Everyone else
Old Ralf isn't a huge fan of Luke Shaw. Hadn't you heard?

CSMUFC90

Winners: shaw, VDB, sancho, Greenwood, rashford, lingard, bailly, diallo, Fred, Dalot

Pogba/Bruno/cavani/ronaldo/lindelof - neither

Losers: matic, maguire, AWB, mata, Mctominay

Marwood

We all thought LvG and Mourinho would come in, kick arse, sort out lazy, incompetent players. Didn't work out like that.

So who knows.

From what I've read of his style and given the CM options he'll have, it's possible we'll still see a lot of McFred for example.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Shaw, Martial, Bruno and Ronaldo could all stand to lose to some degree or another. Pogba is sure to be binned.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Think McTominay could learn a lot.
Scottie loves the side/back pass. I fear that Scott will be ousted as he struggles when it comes to quick forward passing.
Fred, has a lot of energy with a very high workrate and Ralf may like that.

Gazautd18

James wouldn't have been that useful. Rangnicks said in the past he prefers quicker minds than quicker feet. Of course they need to know how to press and have stamina, but he doesn't want dumb players.
Good luck Maguire then..
Be interested to see what happens with Lingard and McFred though!