Which players will be the biggest winners and losers under Rangnick?

KennyBurner

Losers are definitely Pogba, Maguire and AWB. I just don’t see a way we play a high line with Maguire in the side. Pogba also has no position if it’s not on the left plus he lacks positional awareness. Don’t even think he wants to be here.

wise_old_man

Losers are definitely Pogba, Maguire and AWB. I just don’t see a way we play a high line with Maguire in the side. Pogba also has no position if it’s not on the left plus he lacks positional awareness. Don’t even think he wants to be here.
Why AWB? His weakness is positioning, but he's not someone who is lazy at making runs. It's up to Rangnick to teach him WHERE to run to.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Given he speaks of the importance of set pieces I don't see Maguire being a 'loser' as he's still by far our best player in the air.

gajender

Though Pogba most Probably would leave in Summer but I think that the notion he would definitely struggle Under Rangnick is way off the mark he should in theory relish playing in the team with lot of movement and quick transitions with actual plan and system .

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He has said on record you don't need pace to be a good defender. Maguire, being a ball playing defender is likely to enjoy a lot of time and confidence under Rangnick.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Sancho, DvB, and Greenwood will see a lot of development. Bruno and Rashford, if they listen. AWB and Bailly if they actually has what it takes. Hopefully Luke Shaw, too. Telles may get a lot of chances.

Maguire, De Gea could be losers if they don't become consistent and don't get their shit together.

I expect McTominay, Matic, Matta, Martial to clear out. Pogba will leave on his own, not sure about Lingard, but probably too.

NoPace

Though Pogba most Probably would leave in Summer but I think that the notion he would definitely struggle Under Rangnick is way off the mark he should in theory relish playing in the team with lot of movement and quick transitions with actual plan and system .
Yeah I think Pogba could go either way. He seems perfect on the ball for how Rangnick wants to play and terrible off it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pogba is out till end of Jan or start of Feb. Lot depends on how the results are in these 2 months. If it's bad, we will be desperate for him to come and add his qualities, if we are doing well with all players playing how Rangnick wants then he will play smaller role.

roonster09

Scout
He's technically way behind any top team full back when it comes to the ball at your feet. I hope I'm wrong about this though.
In 4-2-2-2 fullbacks are expected to play wingback role and cover whole flank, can AWB hurt teams if he gets lot of space? Chances are very slim.

Also if we hire someone like ETH, then good chance Laird will start as RB.

I think he will be in the squad but not as first choice player.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
All centerbacks and DDG will look a class better in a well structured team. So will Sancho.
This is my opinion as well. People still don't see how difficult it is to play in defense for current United with so little support of attacking players & midfielders all over the place. I wouldn't worry about CBs, GK and Shaw. Wan Bissaka - I bet he's not long term solution as he's not a threat even if given space and time.
What happened to Williams? I thought he might be a good FB in the future.

StonedhamsterZA

This is my opinion as well. People still don't see how difficult it is to play in defense for current United with so little support of attacking players & midfielders all over the place. I wouldn't worry about CBs, GK and Shaw. Wan Bissaka - I bet he's not long term solution as he's not a threat even if given space and time.
What happened to Williams? I thought he might be a good FB in the future.
Loaned to Norwich. Played 8 games for them this season. Been pretty decent. Hopefully will come back and add support on the left and right.

UpWithRivers

Rangnick said on his tactics video's that the CB doesn't have to be fast. They just have to block the striker and stop them getting the ball. So Maguire is probably fine.

backpass

Ragnick has always put extreme importance on sprint speed and endurance.
He always applies 30m dash tests on regular basis and normaly is not happy with guys slower then 4.2 seconds (was alot discussed in German Media between 2015-2018).
It will be interesting to see how this will impact uniteds squad and future transfers.

A good example is Lucas Klosterman as defender with a 3,72 on 30m, back then he had a lot of other weaknesses but speed toped it all. I think there was even a rule that only players with very high sprint speed requirements were allowed to be signed.

I think United could sign Werner on top of at least 1 very fast fullback (my biggest concern, fullbacks not fitting the playstyle)

Reactions: roonster09

Cabby

Ragnick has always put extreme importance on sprint speed and endurance.
He always applies 30m dash tests on regular basis and normaly is not happy with guys slower then 4.2 seconds (was alot discussed in German Media between 2015-2018).
It will be interesting to see how this will impact uniteds squad and future transfers.

A good example is Lucas Klosterman as defender with a 3,72 on 30m, back then he had a lot of other weaknesses but speed toped it all. I think there was even a rule that only players with very high sprint speed requirements were allowed to be signed.

I think United could sign Werner on top of at least 1 very fast fullback (my biggest concern, fullbacks not fitting the playstyle)
This is exactly why I think we may see a lot more of Elanga if he isn't sent on loan in January, he is exactly the profile of player Rangnick targets.

I also think he will prefer Dalot over AWB, purely for on-the-ball quality, and possibly even Telles over Shaw(depending on how Shaw adapts).

Goku1983

Surely Fred and Scott are two of the best runners in the team, I think they’ll do well if they can get better with the ball at their feet. But they do struggle there. But then most of our players are mediocre with the ball at their feet, it’s outrageous considering our wage bill.

We’re gonna need a lot of new players, and I’m glad, there’s no substitute for being quality on the ball. Our guys generally need an extra touch and it kills our play.
Agreed thats why I think Mctom or Fred will be out ine of them will make way for Donny I feel we also need a new partner for Varane unless Maguire can improve a lot. But your right about our players not having great touches the only ones that do is Varane Donny Bruno Rashford CR7 Cavani and Sancho thats 7 players but they cant all fit in the same team I fear. It will be really interesting to see how we line up

Mr PG

Martial should theoretically be one of the biggest beneficiaries. All the talent in the world but poor application and poor fitness and high intensity training should improve that...alot. Good example is Hudson-Odoi who wasn't even as lazy as Martial and less talent imo and Tuchel has him looking like a world beater.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He has said on record you don't need pace to be a good defender. Maguire, being a ball playing defender is likely to enjoy a lot of time and confidence under Rangnick.
It's less his pace and more that he's heavy footed and laborious on the ball.

KennyBurner

Rangnick said on his tactics video's that the CB doesn't have to be fast. They just have to block the striker and stop them getting the ball. So Maguire is probably fine.
Stop them getting the ball? Maguire isn’t very aggressive. Both him and lindelof love to back off and we also have some very mobile and strong attackers in the league.

Rolaholic

Expecting him to really take off for us under RR as the team gets back to a playing style that he broke through under.

Expecting Van De Beek to be utilized much more regularly as well

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This is exactly why I think we may see a lot more of Elanga if he isn't sent on loan in January, he is exactly the profile of player Rangnick targets.

I also think he will prefer Dalot over AWB, purely for on-the-ball quality, and possibly even Telles over Shaw(depending on how Shaw adapts).
Ha, what ? Dalot is just as poor with the ball.

roonster09

Scout

Dalot is not good on the ball, just average. Telles is poor on the ball compared to Shaw.

sp_107

Who can be a winner? If they are at UTD means already they are good players so who ever got more willingness to take Ralf's instructions and work hard for team.

When so many coaches like Klopp/Pep/Tuchel/Nigelsman said Ralf is their role model then he could make some impact on our current players, np doubt.

December is bad time to come in as we will have 2 matches every week means we dont get much time to practice in between games but I am sure eventually we will improve as a team.

United in sin

My favourites. James if he was still here would have been useful too. I wonder who RR will bring in. What workhorse gems he has up his sleeve and will it work out in a more difficult league.
RR wouldn't play a limited winger like James at united. The likes of Elanga and Amad would be given more chances IMO

tjb

I think too many people are making too much about who the potential losers are.
Rangnick sets up with shapes that make it easier for forwards to press because they have the right support and they do it in a high narrow space.
They also move the ball quickly, so aren't a very slow build up overlapping team, which means AWB doesn't have to be some attacking dynamo in his team.
Matic and Pogba will struggle to get in his teams due to how long they take whilst on the ball and how slow they are in covering space, but that's about it in terms of style clashes. I think every other player has a chance to be in the team. Sancho, Greenwood, Ronaldo, Rashford..will all benefit from having a more systemic coach. Fred will benefit from the support he will get to press.

People also need to realize that German football is different from English football. Rangnick may also need to adapt his style a bit. Klopp's Dortmund are not his Liverpool, so that may be something to look at. He's not Klopp or Tuchel; he may have inspired elements of their tactics, but it doesn't mean we should expect exact replicas.

devips

With Rangnik at the helm, I predict the biggest loser will be David de Gea.Rangnik's system will ruthlessly expose his limitations.

HailtotheKing

Personnel wise I'm not sure if we'll see a dramatic change. Certain guys like Sancho will instantly be key though IMO. Fred as well will continue to be key. Others like Van de Beek I'd be tempted to say yes with his history in Ajax, but he won't get in ahead of Bruno anyway. Maybe alongside Bruno and Fred? My guess is we see something like:
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Varane Maguire Shaw
Van de Beek Fred Bruno
Sancho Ronaldo Rashford​
Nice team but looks like incredibly porous midfield. Would have to work the shit out of the system to ensure Bruno, Fred and Donny don’t go walkabout. Does Ralf normally play with a strong CDM like Klopp with Fabinho etc. That would be my biggest concern with those 3. Fun times ahead though that’s for sure.

MasterCode

Fred and Rashford are the big ones for me. Mason is probably another one given RR history that he'll have his eyes on (reports stats, in training say he is our quickest player before Rashford, and he likes speed) in transitions Mason and Rashford get in behind defenses with pace regularly.

Keen to see how he works with Sancho as RR likes his forwards to be direct and quick and Sancho likes ball at feet and beat his man with skill. I think if Sancho does well under him, it's not going to be a Sancho we recognise he is going to change him to be more direct and play on the line etc, IMO. Sancho presses very well however so we'll see. I think he turns Bruno into an 8 make him a pressing machine as Bruno is already very quick playing the ball in transitions.

I think Martial suffers (I'm losing faith) Maguire is im danger, Shaw (Someone who I am also a fan of) is also in trouble. Ronaldo is a bigger issue than folks want to admit. Pogba is on borrowed time.

I want to see how he handles AWB. Ralf Ragnick loves a chequebook but also finds simple cheap options - so lets see if he chooses to coach certain players or throw money at problem positions.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What are you on about ? Maguire is a ball playing CB. Guy can play in midfield when on song.
Hes laborious and heavy footed on the ball. What about this do you not understand?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Sancho, DvB, and Greenwood will see a lot of development. Bruno and Rashford, if they listen. AWB and Bailly if they actually has what it takes. Hopefully Luke Shaw, too. Telles may get a lot of chances.

Maguire, De Gea could be losers if they don't become consistent and don't get their shit together.

I expect McTominay, Matic, Matta, Martial to clear out. Pogba will leave on his own, not sure about Lingard, but probably too.
De Gea getting his shit together? You cannot be serious? He’s consistently saved our ass all season!

Guy can play in midfield when on song.
He'd be absolutely woeful in midfield.

Maguire is above-average on the ball for a defender: he can bring the ball out and pick out passes when he has the entire pitch in front of him. Put him in midfield where he has to receive it on the turn under pressure and he'd be hopeless - it's a completely different skill.