Which players will be the biggest winners and losers under Rangnick?

Zevvythered

For me the winners will be
Fred, DVB, Lingard, Rashford, Dalot,
losers
Pogba, Tony, AWB, Slabhead, Shaw, McTominay,

jesus when you see the list of losers it Certainly could be a busy January.

does anyone know what happens after the 6 months does he automatically move up stairs?

Zoo

Shaw
Maguire
Martial
Pogba

All in trouble
Shaw is able to stay on top of his fitness now so I think he'll be fine. Rangnick brought through and gave worlds slowest centre back Per Mertesacker his debut, so Maguire should also be fine when he recovers his form. Martial and Pogba are question marks, Pogba especially will be fascinating.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Rangnick brought through and gave worlds slowest centre back Per Mertesacker his debut, so Maguire should also be fine when he recovers his form.
Per has got a brain, that's why he played for us. Not so sure about Maguire in that regard, but maybe he has simply lost his once he went to United, I know next to nothing about him before.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I see a lot of people mentioning Maguire being on the loser end. I think he will be vastly improved with better movement and pressing in front of him.

Bruno, Donny and Sancho will also benefit greatly. Can Laird be recalled?

Some youth prospects to be elevated as is the case with every new manager it seems.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I guess Pogba, possibly Maguire. His criticism of Shaw could also foreshadow that he'll find himself on the bench but I have a feeling he'll be a starter under Rangnick. Wan-Bissaka could also be in danger.

Moreover, if anyone told me that Rangnick would one day coach Cristiano Ronaldo :D That's going to be the most interesting part. From a bright partnership to an absolute meltdown, everything is possible. Rangnick isn't particularly diplomatic and has no fear of making unpopular decisions if he thinks it's the correct one. Should he think the team would be better without Cristiano given his reluctance to press.. that would be a recipe for disaster.

As for the winners.. Sancho, Bruno, van de Beek, possibly Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani and Martial.

doomy20

It will be perfect to watch the new style of play for 6 months and then have a clear view on who needs to be sold/bought

RUCK4444

On the bolded - it's far more controversial statement than saying there isn't much between Rashford and Martial when it comes to defensive contribution. For me they are both lazy, I would put Martial below Rashford in that regard but I still maintain it's a negligible difference.

I expect every player to commit to Rangnick's tactics, unless Martial is already in different place in his head (which might be the case).
I think Rashford's energy dropped when he was carrying that injury but I think we will see a more high energy Rashford and my honest opinion is that Rasfhord is far more involved in the game whenever he is on the pitch compared to Martial, the latter just seems to let the game pass him by time and again.

Yeah I want to see every player give their everything to the new managers gameplan, no excuses.

Teja

Do you think this is because he hasn’t had war chest to spend like Ole has had?
with more cash will he not look to bring in a bigger names?
I think this fear is unwarranted. Surely an interim won't be given carte blanche for a clear out, especially in January where prices will likely be lower?

How much of the structural approach of RB isn't just because they can't afford well known players in their prime?

Not too worried about the clear out specifically. As SirScholes says there, I just wonder if he has it within him to splash the cash when needed or if he can coach established stars to play his pressing game.

It seems like his style is to get young players and indoctrinate them into the dark arts of pressing but we don't necessarily have to buy young unknown players and wait for them to develop at United.

Andersonson

I think Fred and Rashford will be very good. I dont think Fred will play alongside DvB, and DvB wont take Bruno's spot. So he will continue to struggle for game time.

AwB will hopefully be replaced, thats in the card. We've been linked to different RB's for a while now.

miked99

I think the effect of him taking over in terms of player's futures is being somewhat overstated. He's only going to be the manager for six months. He isn't going to transfer list half the squad in January.

I'm sure he'll have input, but ultimately the future of the players will be decided by whoever the next manager is.

OmarUnited4ever

If the current group of players were in situation where this was the start of the season, and they were successful or used to winning trophies, it might be harder for a new manager to stamp his authority.

But, this group of players have never been serial winners in club football (apart from Varane & Ronaldo, and to some extent Pogba with Juve & Matic with Chelsea), and they already in mid season and also coming of a terrible form in recent weeks, they know a change is needed to turn things around and rediscover their form, so they will have no choice but to accept what the new manager will bring (in terms of tactics and work rate),

So, maybe apart from fringe players like Mata and Jones, I think most will try their best to adapt to the new style.

Losers: Mata & Jones, probably Matic too who I think tries to work hard but at his age he is too immobile for a midfielder. Also anyone deemed not good enough in terms of ability (working hard alone is not enough)

Winners: most of the players, except those deemed not good enough.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think Fred and Rashford will be very good. I dont think Fred will play alongside DvB, and DvB wont take Bruno's spot. So he will continue to struggle for game time.

AwB will hopefully be replaced, thats in the card. We've been linked to different RB's for a while now.
We will see, if Rangnick decides to play a 4222 system I could imagine a midfield of Fred, van de Beek, Bruno and Sancho, with two out of Rashford, Greenwood and Ronaldo up front.

lysglimt

Scout
Don't agree with McTominay - I think he could fit right into the Rangnick-style. He is quick, hard-tackling and quite decent at pressing. I also think AWB will benefit as Rangnick mostly use full-backs for winning the ball back .. not as attacking players.

Pogba is not for Rangnick - but he will love Declan Rice. Rice is a Rangnick-player

KingCavani

On the bolded - it's far more controversial statement than saying there isn't much between Rashford and Martial when it comes to defensive contribution. For me they are both lazy, I would put Martial below Rashford in that regard but I still maintain it's a negligible difference.

I expect every player to commit to Rangnick's tactics, unless Martial is already in different place in his head (which might be the case).
Rashford's laziness only started under Ole but yeah it's become a huge issues. Mourinho would pick him and specifically cite his work rate as the reason, especially in his first two seasons.

Ole started comparing him to Ronaldo early on in his tenure and it was the literally the last thing that guy needed to hear.

romufc

Rashford's laziness only started under Ole but yeah it's become a huge issues. Mourinho would pick him and specifically cite his work rate as the reason, especially in his first two seasons.

Ole started comparing him to Ronaldo early on in his tenure and it was the literally the last thing that guy needed to hear.
I remember this. Rashford was hard working under Jose, would chase lost causes down and everything.

Under Ole, we saw a shift, he was told to cheat and stay up top for counters and became lazy.

This also happens when you know the manager wont drop you, complacency kicks in and it becomes a trend.

None of that anymore, every player will have to put a shift in now.

Jibbs

Winners:
DVB, Lindelof, Tony, Greenwood, Sancho

Loosers:
Pogba, Maguire, Rashford.

OTRightWinger07

rashford can resurrect his career no doubt but i still think his off-pitch activities are his main priorities in life now.
rangnick must be clear with him or sell him asap. he is worth 60M at least yet.

ronaldo will probably suffer, he likes the zidanes, ancelottis of the world, managers that are friends and have great relationship with players

greenwood, this young man can become a top star, he breathes football and under a modern football manager he can finally fulfill his potential.

bruno, can he do 100% what the manager tells him to do ? we shall see. i trust in him.

awb needs discipline, he has potential. i trust in him.

Luke1995

While I agree that Matic seems too immobille for a midfielder, I think he could maybe be turned into a CB. It remains to be seen whether the new manager could try something like that.

hatchetmac

Rashford should flourish under him if he is willing to put the hard work in.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'll go against the grain and say i expect to see a return to form from Maguire, with both him and Shaw showing the levels they have done previously.

I also expect to see a good 5 or 6 games from Pogba, before he then chucks the towel in again.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Actually I strongly feel he will be one of the biggest winners. Because a big part of what Rangnick brings is about transforming somewhat lazy players into hard pressers.
Depends on the players' attitudes to be honest. Mourinho struggled to motivate Martial enough. Even Ole gave up on Martial. I have doubts over Martial's mentality.

I'm actually interested in what will happen with DDG and Dean Henderson.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard

I think Rashford's energy dropped when he was carrying that injury but I think we will see a more high energy Rashford and my honest opinion is that Rasfhord is far more involved in the game whenever he is on the pitch compared to Martial, the latter just seems to let the game pass him by time and again.

Yeah I want to see every player give their everything to the new managers gameplan, no excuses.
Quoting both of you just to highlight everybody sees it differently, but also everybody does acknowledge the problem. Personally I always took Rashford as below average in terms of general defensive contribution, but agree it was even worse last season with the injury.
Anyway, new manager is a clean card for every player, both Martial and Rashford should be treated equally. They are in good position because they've been saving energy for a while :)

Canagel

Winners: Martial, Sancho, Fred, VDB, Lindelof

Losers: Ronaldo, Bruno, Maguire, Shaw, Mctominay

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I think De Gea will lose out and as a result Maguire will improve.

You can't play a high tempo pressing game with a keeper who is rooted to his line. Even playing out from the back against Villarreal he was ignored for a pass several times, its ridiculous. We concede the chances that he has 'saved' us with this season because of him.

I wonder as well how Ronaldo would fit in to his system, seems like Cavani is made for it and could thrive.

I think Amad will get more chances with AWB and Fred being the players that improve the most.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Shaw, he’s so lazy it’s painful, probably the worst at not running under Ole. Greenwood doesn’t press well, he’s gonna struggle to get onto the team now. Martial as well.

Greenwood may end up a fringe player for now, he may have to wait till Cavani is gone to be the backup striker.

Mata is done, he couldn’t press a sticker onto a piece of paper.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Biggest winners Varane Sancho and VDB (Varane because of rest when needed meaning less injuries)

Losers
Greenwood (sadly)
Mcfred
Ronaldo ? Depends how he fits into the pressing style of Ragnick you cant leave Ronaldo out so hopefully a solution can be found :)
Surely Fred and Scott are two of the best runners in the team, I think they’ll do well if they can get better with the ball at their feet. But they do struggle there. But then most of our players are mediocre with the ball at their feet, it’s outrageous considering our wage bill.

We’re gonna need a lot of new players, and I’m glad, there’s no substitute for being quality on the ball. Our guys generally need an extra touch and it kills our play.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Whats amazing about this thread is that it shows that there are so many possibilities with the current players, e.g. some say Ralf will hate AWB, others say he will thrive. Ultimately it will all depend on the desire and attitude of the players to work. If Ralf phones at 12 midnight to meet at Carrington in 1 hour, who will be up for that without moaning and whining? If for example Maguire says ' sorry Ralf cuz i is out in a restaurant in Sheffield with my Mrs and Crispin Maguire' he will be out the door. I actually think Maguire is a player who will do well for Ralf and get back to form. In an interview Ragnick actually comments that he does not need his CB to be quick, but to be able to read the situation and hold good positions. I feel he just needs a strong manager who gives clear direction.

I think Pogba is f%*ked though, he is injured anyway and may never even play again at the club. I can easily need him been sold for 10m in January with Ralf bringing in some unknown gem to replace him for 5M.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Whats amazing about this thread is that it shows that there are so many possibilities with the current players, e.g. some say Ralf will hate AWB, others say he will thrive. Ultimately it will all depend on the desire and attitude of the players to work.
And then it will depend how he can combine those players and what formation he can use for them. Let's just look at AWB for example, how he could work in different formations:

4222 - horrible, FBs would need to cover the whole wing from front to back, total disaster with AWB
433 (attack minded, so one 6, two 8s) - not much need to move forward, as an 8 can support the winger. Build pressing traps to force the opponent playing into AWB's direction and just let him tackle and win balls for fun.

Most other variations of a 433 or 4231 would be a bit in between, a back three system would be the same disaster as the 4222 (except he becomes a part of the back 3 itself, than it could go similarly to the 433 described above).

Depending on the formation and pressing structure the role of the RB changes a lot and therefore how well AWB could work in that system.

Lee565

I hope the club back him over not pandering to the big names in the team, if he believes his best 11 does not feature a Fernandes, ronaldo, maguire, rashford or a pogba then hopefully goes fully with it and stop this culture in the club of players feeling bigger than the club.

Resch

RR preferred formation 4 2 3 1
Winners: Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford, VdB
all useful players to play direct, fast and aggressive
Telles or Dalot
RR likes attacking and hard working FBs
Maguire benefits from playing in a strict regime. RR likes strong CDs.
Loosers: Marta, Magic, Pogba, CR7,
RR likes fast and hard workers.
Shaw or AWB
RR likes at least on attacking FB.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think the younger attacking players are the biggest winners. Acutely having a manager who can train a footballing a style of play and football philosophy is something a lot of them have never really experienced at this club at first team level.

cyril C

If the current group of players were in situation where this was the start of the season, and they were successful or used to winning trophies, it might be harder for a new manager to stamp his authority.

But, this group of players have never been serial winners in club football (apart from Varane & Ronaldo, and to some extent Pogba with Juve & Matic with Chelsea), and they already in mid season and also coming of a terrible form in recent weeks, they know a change is needed to turn things around and rediscover their form, so they will have no choice but to accept what the new manager will bring (in terms of tactics and work rate),

So, maybe apart from fringe players like Mata and Jones, I think most will try their best to adapt to the new style.

Losers: Mata & Jones, probably Matic too who I think tries to work hard but at his age he is too immobile for a midfielder. Also anyone deemed not good enough in terms of ability (working hard alone is not enough)

Winners: most of the players, except those deemed not good enough.
Why Mata and Jones are losers? They have been winners all along, getting paid for doing nothing. Mata got to sweat once in a while, Jones just chat up the nurses. The best deal that they can get is paid in full to leave early, worst is to leave at end of season, which is already planned I think, Ole or Rangnick.

In fact, almost the same can be said on Pogba, who will leave end of this season. Only difference is whether he will get any game time, and how much BS will we hear from his agent.

IMO the losers are McKinner, and a no. of assistance that have done a shitty job in past few months, who will get the boot next summer, whoever is in charge. Carrick might be lucky to keep his job, if the new boss still need 1 old hand to assist.

Nikelesh Reddy

As in who'll improve the most, or play the most, or become the most important?

And also the opposite, if you want to get negative about it.
Greenwood,Sancho,Rashford,Cavani may all play a very important role.I”m not really sure how Cristiano fits into a Rangnick team,I guess we”ll have to wait and watch.I also think that maybe Dalot may get an opportunity to prove himself now,AWB has been terrible this season …..

KennyBurner

Young players like Amad, Elanga, Shoretire and maybe Hannibal will benefit, I think

Martial is an obvious loser, but I guess he's not really winning anyway.
This is so funny because I can bet you right now Martial is the first name on the team sheet. Let the proceedings go to charity. It always surprises me to see posters insinuate that martial doesn’t press when he actually does.

hobbers

Rashford and Greenwood will have to seriously up their work rates if they want to stay in the plans here.

Bruno will have to work on how effective he is at pressing. He runs a lot but his actual effectiveness when pressing is abysmal.

Martial and Pogba will be out the door asap and no big loss.