Which players would you allow to leave on a free to move them on?

MrSingh2002

With incomings seemingly being delayed by the lack of spending or outgoing transfers, which players would you allow to leave on a free?

This would probably help them secure better contracts elsewhere that can match their current wages and contracts.

My list:
Jones
Mata

I'd want a fee for:
Smalling
Dalot
Rojo
Romero (If he has to leave)
Pereira

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Given his reported wages and length of contract, as well as the fact that I do not think that players can rediscover their old form after being poor for two years, I would have absolutely no problems if De Gea left on a free.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Free
Jones
Rojo

Fee
Smalling (£20m)
Pereira (£10-15m)
Lingard (£20-25m)
James (£10-15m)
TFM (£5m)
Dalot (£10-15m)
Fred (£35-40m) (if Thiago is coming, Fred is too good to be 6-7th choice CM might as well cash in & we’d get more for him than McT who is a 15-20m player)
Romero (£10-12m)

Id keep Mata as 3rd choice 10.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
With incomings seemingly being delayed by the lack of spending or outgoing transfers, which players would you allow to leave on a free?

This would probably help them secure better contracts elsewhere that can match their current wages and contracts.

My list:
Jones
Mata

I'd want a fee for:
Smalling
Dalot
Rojo
Pereira
No lingard?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
There's absolutely zero benefit of letting Mata go for free. He's happy to be a squad player, is a tremendous influence on the younger players, and still contributes goals and assists when played as a #10.

Rojo is the only one, as he's made it clear he doesn't want to be here anyway.

wolvored

Jones Rojo Mata. Smallish fee for Periera and Lingard. If we got shut of those 5 along with the probable sale of Smalling I think that would be a good season for getting shut of some deadwood.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Given his reported wages and length of contract, as well as the fact that I do not think that players can rediscover their old form after being poor for two years, I would have absolutely no problems if De Gea left on a free.
You forgot the white text.

Banana Republic

Mata has 1 season left on his current 2 year contract.
I can’t see him leaving this window and I’m fairly confident he’ll leave next year on a free, either to retire, or to finish off his career in Spain.

This season is going to be hard on the squad with the congested fixture list and involvement in the CL, as well as the domestic cup competitions.
Even with his limited usefulness, we’ll need Mata for his experience as a rotation player for the cup games and as a sub, as we can’t drive the first pick players into the ground.

Other players under contract can’t just be released, unless they want to go. Otherwise they’d have to be bought out of their contract and given a big wad of dosh to go away. Unfortunately, unless some mugs want to sign them up, Jones and Lingard will be hanging round for a while yet.

Reactions: Sultan

My list:
Jones
Mata

I'd want a fee for:
Smalling
Dalot
Rojo
Pereira
I’d pay money (my own money, up to £100) for Rojo to leave, no chance anyone is paying a transfer fee for him. When you add in the subsidised Nani loan, he’s one of our worst ever transfers.

Mata can stay for another year, he’s useful, he makes up the numbers and can go next summer.

Jones and Rojo I’d be happy if Utd subsidise their wages just to get rid.

Bailly needs to go as well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Only Jones

We should be competant enough to demand a fee, even if its a small one, for the rest of our players.

Bwuk

No-one.

The likes of Jones wages aren’t breaking the bank.

L1nk

Jones
Rojo
Mata
Lingard
Pereira

Could we get rid of some of them for a fee? Probably, any club would be stupid to pay it though, and because we were absolutely thick as pig shit to pay these players beyond their capabilities, nobody wants to pay their wages either, so we are stuck with them.

diarm

Obviously I would like to receive a fee for all of them, but if it was a choice between keeping Lingard, Pereira, Rojo, Smalling and Jones in the squad, or releasing them on frees, I'd pick the latter.

Our squad is still infected with mediocrity.

Gopher Brown

He’s not the player he was, but we conceded the fewest goals in the league last season. This would be a silly thing to do.

K Stand Knut

Wow, I entered this thread debating whether I dare to write De Gea and bang, first reply.

well done and fair play mate.

I agree. I think, although I also see it as a bit stupid

M Utd

My list:
Jones
Mata

I'd want a fee for:
Smalling
Dalot
Rojo
Pereira
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you release a player on a free you still need to pay them their remaining contract.

I assume for this discussion you are talking about both the player and club agreeing to terminate the contract? If not its not worth us releasing anyone as we pay their full wages in one lump sum, receive no fee and allow them to strengthen possible rivals.

SAFMUTD

Ideally we should be getting rid of a lot of players but since we havent had a lot of incomings we cant give ourself the luxury of getting rid of all the deadwood.

The ones we should let go are:

Romero - no point in having him as third choice when we already have Henderson.
Jones and Rojo - not good enough and never fit anyway.
Dalot - Ole doesnt trust him at all, the fact he cant even get minutes before TFM speaks for itself.

In an ideal world we would let go Pereira, Lingard and Mata as well but as I said before we have a short squad and we need the bodies no matter how shitty they are.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Phil Jones. How he survived the cull for so long is a mystery to me.

hmchan

This.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To answer the actual thread question, Jones and Mata are the two definites with no resale price.

Rojo is borderline.

Everyone else we would need a fee for.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Jones. He is on a ridiculously long contract and he is the epitome of every thing wrong with this club

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you release a player on a free you still need to pay them their remaining contract.

I assume for this discussion you are talking about both the player and club agreeing to terminate the contract? If not its not worth us releasing anyone as we pay their full wages in one lump sum, receive no fee and allow them to strengthen possible rivals.
I am assuming he means a free transfer to another club, meaning they would pick up the players salary.

Isnt Grant being used more as a goalkeeping coach?

Jones and Rojo. No one will pay for them so just get rid.

Im amazed nobody will take a chance on Dalot and Pereira.
Ref Grant. Yes, and you need an experienced 3rd choice who knows his chances of playing are pretty much zero. There’s no need to move him on.

Not a club in the world who is paying a fee for Jones or Rojo. Both are on massive wages as well. Even on a free I don’t see how anyone would want them.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jones. I don't think he has any takers if there is a fee involved due to his wages.

10 years at the club and has picked up 1 league title. Not a slight on him but just hit me we have only won 1 title in a decade.

MrSingh2002

Yeah that's right. I was referring to a mutual decision to terminate the contract and allow the players to maybe get a better deal elsewhere as there's no transfer fee involved for the new club.

Maureen-yo

My list:
Jones
Mata

I'd want a fee for:
Smalling
Dalot
Rojo
Pereira
I’d personally keep Maya, by all accounts he is a very strong character on the changing rooms and also is very influential and a positive role model for the younger players.

foolsgold

I don’t see how Phil Jones ever plays for Manchester United again, not his fault with what’s happened with injuries and all. He’s never given less than 100%, if someone else wants him we should give him a free transfer.

Rojo I’d drive to the airport myself (if I didn’t live 12,000 miles away). Never understood the wisdom of the signing, just get rid.

Eric Bailly, could have, should have but really just didn’t. Happy to cut loses and get off the wage bill.

Leonzo1

At the end of the day the club wants to make as much money as possible on players we no longer want in the squad. If we have a player on a massive wage and no one's willing to pay a fee to get him we'll let him leave. If we benifit more by keeping a player on a fairly low wage we'll keep him. We as fans don't have all the information we need regarding fees and wages to answer the question, But it's a very simple one.

Devil81

Realistically only two players are likely to leave without a fee Rojo and Jones.

Mata will leave at the end of his contract.