Which players would you allow to leave on a free to move them on?

Craig Ward

I have no issue with Mata seeing his contract out as long as he doesnt feature prominently in competitive games - nice guy, great pro, technically great but his legs have gone.

Jones and Rojo should never kick a ball for us again or even be in the squad named for the season - i'd get rid and be done with the wages. Time to be ruthless.

Smalling will be sold - like the two above he has no future here. Difference is, there is interest. We need to stop demanding a high fee and just get the deal done and move him on.

I'd love to boot Lingard out but the club wont. He'll be stuck here as no one is foolish enough to buy him and we'll end up renewing his contract like we did with Jones.

Shambles

Andersons Dietician

Rojo and Jones are probably the only ones anyone would really consider letting go on a free. I doubt their market value is that much and doubt there are any takers with their wages.

Mata still has his uses every now and then and quite happy for him to see out his contract if he’s mostly just a bench option.

Lingard I’m sure there would be buyers if not for his wages. Perreria who knows, sure someone would take him.

dutchred

I would lert the following go without a fee
Rojo
Jones
Pereira
Mata
Lingaard
And even offer to subsidize their salaries
Why?
If we kept them we would be paying their salaries till the end of their contract and they are obviously are not in Ole's plans for the first team.
I would keep Dalot as he is young and we haven't given him a full chance yet. And we can get a fee for Smalling.
I'd keep James but only as back up for Rashford on the left. He's useless on the right
And finally I'd take any price for Lindelof. We have Axel and Teden who are much better than him

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
With incomings seemingly being delayed by the lack of spending or outgoing transfers, which players would you allow to leave on a free?

This would probably help them secure better contracts elsewhere that can match their current wages and contracts.

My list:
Jones
Mata

I'd want a fee for:
Smalling
Dalot
Rojo
Romero (If he has to leave)
Pereira
Your list doesn't include Lingard so I can't take this seriously.

MUFC OK

Jones, Mata, Rojo, A.Pereira - completely disregarding the fact that they'll be here for the duration of their contracts due to the obscene wages we are paying them.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If by free transfer it means terminating the contracts to no cost to the club, I'd say Mata, Jones, Rojo. I think fees can be acquired for Smalling and Romero. Lingard can still offer something if no one wants to buy him. I'd sell Bailly too, for a half decent price. Pereira and TFM are probably not earning huge money, but I'd sell them for low fees if possible.

An interesting question: who would you sell for the price you originally paid for him?

eltigreFalcao

To be honest, I'll find it perfectly fine if:

Rojo
Jones
Grant
Romero
Pereira
Lingard
Ighalo

Go out on a free, they mean nothing but wage money loses to the club. Only care if Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw, De Gea, Maguire, Dalot, James get shipped for money, all of whom I could defo wave goodbye no problems at all

USREDEVIL

To be honest, I'll find it perfectly fine if:

Rojo
Jones
Grant
Romero
Pereira
Lingard
Ighalo

Go out on a free, they mean nothing but wage money loses to the club. Only care if Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw, De Gea, Maguire get shipped for money, all of whom I could defo wave goodbye no problems at all
For a lot of those players we should just get what we can and not be demanding. Their wages alone will make up the difference. So rather than keeping a player we barely use for another year, just sell now for cheaper. This is a big problem with our club. Leaving it too late to negotiate. Should be putting on the market so we already have a buyer before we negotiate the new contract. I know it's easy to say that but it seems very much like we have no plan for the players. I imagine every single player has a file where they analyze when they should be sold, even the likes of Pogba, etc.

eltigreFalcao

For a lot of those players we should just get what we can and not be demanding. Their wages alone will make up the difference. So rather than keeping a player we barely use for another year, just sell now for cheaper. This is a big problem with our club. Leaving it too late to negotiate. Should be putting on the market so we already have a buyer before we negotiate the new contract. I know it's easy to say that but it seems very much like we have no plan for the players. I imagine every single player has a file where they analyze when they should be sold, even the likes of Pogba, etc.
In a world in which Vidal goes from Barca to Inter for 1m, Rakitic for free, and Suarez for 5m, gosh I hope this guys simply walk out and save us some wage money rather than using the only two neurons our board has available for transfers in selling them for pennies

ForeverRed1

The only one I’d let go for free would be Phil Jones, absoloutly pointless him even being here.

the others I would want to re-coup something for. Something is better than nothing.

Amerifan

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you release a player on a free you still need to pay them their remaining contract.

I assume for this discussion you are talking about both the player and club agreeing to terminate the contract? If not its not worth us releasing anyone as we pay their full wages in one lump sum, receive no fee and allow them to strengthen possible rivals.
This. None of the suggested names are negative influences in the dressing room.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Grant, Jones, Rojo, Dalot, Mata, Lindgard, Pereira

Sure they probably have some value, but i dont see who would be interested in buying them and its just another testament to how feckign badly we are run as a club. When Klopp arrived at Liverpool, they purged all the rubbish in about two-three windows and opened up space and wages for new arrivals

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Jones 0 - high wage, injured, useless
Rojo 0 - high wage, played very few games
Mata 0 - very high wage, getting old
Dalot 3m - not even good enough for bench at Man Utd, played very few games
Pereira 7m - bench player at best
Lingard 7m - bench player at best, high wage
Smalling 15m - decent squad player, but getting old, high wage

lex talionis

Jones and Rojo, if anyone is willing to pick up their wages. Smalling will be sold. There will be no takers for Lingard unless we agree to subsidize his wages for the duration of his contract.

A grueling season awaits us and we’re going to need the likes of Mata and Dalot, but Jones and Rojo are the two in particular who should never suit up for us ever again. Best wishes to Smalling who got a bit too much stick here but it can’t be denied that he never reached what we thought his potential was.

USREDEVIL

Jones 0 - high wage, injured, useless
Rojo 0 - high wage, played very few games
Mata 0 - very high wage, getting old
Dalot 3m - not even good enough for bench at Man Utd, played very few games
Pereira 7m - bench player at best
Lingard 7m - bench player at best, high wage
Smalling 15m - decent squad player, but getting old, high wage
This is a fairly reasonable assessment. Think Lingard could get a bit more but still.

MrSingh2002

Your list doesn't include Lingard so I can't take this seriously.
I'm no Lingard fan but he would have one more season for me to prove he can be a decent squad player. He was clearly not focused on football over the past year and gained alot of weight.

For a player thats reliant on mobility and energy that was fatal. He has got himself back in shape now so see how he does. If not sell in January/next summer.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I don't get the mentions for Grant.
He's here only in case all other goalkeepers get injured, and is happy with that.
Worst case he'll be on the bench once or twice a season, so we can send youngsters on loan.
Romero is too good to be backup for the backup keeper.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Free - players who nobody will bid for due to wages but also due to wages is entirely wasted money from the club with no role
  • Jones
  • Rojo
  • Mata
  • Ighalo - loan but still. High wages for someone we don't use. Waste of money.
Fee - Players we can hope to get a fee from, and we should be looking to sell due to limited role/wages not worth the role they have/low quality
  • Romero
  • Dalot
  • Fosu Mensah
  • Smalling
  • Pereira
  • Lingard
Soon to join the list
  • Matic - big wages to be a backup, starter for now but not got too long left as that
  • De Gea - obscene wages to be anything but a starter, Henderson the very near future
Was hoping that last year and this year we would have turned over everyone from the first 2 lists. Need to be way more aggressive with sales. And need to stop extending contracts in the hope to sell for a slight fee. Never works.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Free - players who nobody will bid for due to wages but also due to wages is entirely wasted money from the club with no role
  • Jones
  • Rojo
  • Mata
Fee - Players we can hope to get a fee from, and we should be looking to sell due to limited role/wages not worth the role they have/low quality
  • Romero
  • Dalot
  • Fosu Mensah
  • Smalling
  • Pereira
  • Lingard
  • Ighalo
Soon to join the list
  • Matic - big wages to be a backup, starter for now but not got too long left as that
  • De Gea - obscene wages to be anything but a starter, Henderson the very near future
Was hoping that last year and this year we would have turned over everyone from the first 2 lists. Need to be way more aggressive with sales. And need to stop extending contracts in the hope to sell for a slight fee. Never works.
Ighalo is here on loan, mate.

Dr. Dwayne

I'm no Lingard fan but he would have one more season for me to prove he can be a decent squad player. He was clearly not focused on football over the past year and gained alot of weight.

For a player thats reliant on mobility and energy that was fatal. He has got himself back in shape now so see how he does. If not sell in January/next summer.
Personally, I feel he's had enough second chances and it's time for him to move on.

SAFMUTD

We have a lot of deadwood, just keeping them because we are short of bodies is the same as signing any free player just for the sake of it. In addition most of this players are way overpaid for what they contribute to the team. I would gladly let go the following:

Grant
Rojo
Jones
Pereira
Lingard
Mata

wolvored

Jones. I don't think he has any takers if there is a fee involved due to his wages.

10 years at the club and has picked up 1 league title. Not a slight on him but just hit me we have only won 1 title in a decade.
2, 2011 and 2013

snowkarl

Juan Mata - 8m saved
Pereira - useless, no one would ever pay for this guy. we can't even loan him out.
Jones - never gonna be fit again, at least for the PL
De Gea - almost 20m a year in salary... unbelievable really. Henderson's better
Romero - old, high wages
Rojo - no explanation needed

also
Bailly - 8m
Tuanzebe - 10m
Smalling - 12m
Dalot - 5m
James - 10m

Just get rid of em all.

Irwin99

I think Rojo and Jones could be completely written off at this point. There was talk a few years ago of Rojo joining Everton either on loan or being sold there and it never materialized for whatever reason and it's a shame (for us) that it never happened. I don't think we'd have much cause to regret either leaving. In an injury crisis at centre defence I honestly think Matic or Mctominay or our defensive minded full backs couldn't do just as good a job or better anyway.

Revan

Assumptionman
Jones and Rojo, possibly Mata.

We should get a fee (not a high one) for Romero, Pereira and Dalot (though I would have kept Dalot and tried it more often).

We should get an 8 digit fee for Smalling and Lingard.

Hanky panky

Jones and Rojo. I think we could get around 10M for Lingard and maybe Pereira. But Jones, nobody's paying anything. And we maybe need to pay some part of his salary also. Mata, somebody could pay few millions but he will go as a free agent next summer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Lingard, Andreas, Rojo, Jones

Problem is haven't half of them signed a new contract recently? :(

Murray3007

Rojo, Jones and Mata on free's

Smalling, Lingard Dalot and Periera would bite the hands off for 15m each,

Romero and TFM if got 5m would be a bonus

if got decent offers for Fred, Bailey or Lindelof would let them leave as well if it meant getting in a couple of extra players.