Which players would you sell to raise funds ?

Ekeke

The players I'd sell would be the ones that seem to be decently rated but with the money that a team might stump up for them, we could find someone better or give a young player the chance who might play just as well. You back yourself to make the right signings that you'd come out ahead.

Fred and Lindelof would be 2 pretty good players for another team that should raise enough money to make a significant difference to our team. I would think thats around £60-65 million that would come in combined. We have a load of midfielders who want chances who could play instead of Fred and we could spend the money on a top CB to stop conceding so many goals. Alternatively we could buy a good enough DM that we don't need to play 2 of them and therefore could play Pogba and Fernandes in front of someone allowing us to play midfielders further forward, or attempt to try and change our style to be more possession based and less reliant on counter attacks.

I think we'd cope without Pogba and hes another that could raise funds for team surgery, but this past match was an example of why we'd perhaps be better off keeping him. He isnt a player that shows his true talent every week through thick and thin, but when the team is doing well he has that extra bit of quality to do something a bit special and help us out.

CM

Aside from the obvious deadwood who we won't get any return on; Henderson, Williams and James are the ones who strike me as players we can get a decent fee for without any of them being important first team players.

You could possibly add one of Lindelof/Tuanzebe/Bailly to that list too. It's a position we will likely look to improve upon in the near future so probably won't need all of them, though they all have their role to play as things stand.

davidmichael

It’s clear to see who Ole considers deadwood but I’m guessing the fact we're in an unexpected title race means Ole won’t want anyone outside of Dalot, Jones, Rojo and Ighalo going this month.

As I said before you’d throw in Romero, Grant, Pereira, Mata, Lingard and Chong in with Jones and Rojo too and maybe if Diallo shows enough then you’d throw James in there too but at most I think you’d get maybe £50-£55 million including James for them all and save about £500-£600K a week in wages.

Scholsey2004

Pogba, van de Beek, James, and Tuanzebe who I like but we've got at least 3 right footed centre halves who are better than he is. Then you're down to the deadwood and players with little resale value. Martial we could probably sell but I get the impression he's too popular at the club for that to be realistic.

RashyForPM

Pogba, van de Beek, James, and Tuanzebe who I like but we've got at least 3 right footed centre halves who are better than he is. Then you're down to the deadwood and players with little resale value. Martial we could probably sell but I get the impression he's too popular at the club for that to be realistic.
Selling VdB would be absolutely nuts. He hasn’t started brilliantly but who would if they got 1 game in 7 and generally plays around backup players in cup games? He’s also still adapting to English football. He’s a top player with technical ability in abundance, intelligence and an excellent work-rate. He’s a CL semi-final level player as he showed in 2018-19. Watch his performances against Bayern, Real, Juve and Spurs again. Scored a difficult chance against Athens too.

I can see where you’re coming from with Pogba because he clearly wants to go, but I’d love to keep him here. James is definitely one, and unfortunately Axel has never impressed me either.

If it were up to me, I’d sell:
Romero
Rojo
Jones
Axel
AWB (can be easily upgraded)
Dalot
Matic (see AWB)
Mata
Lingard
Pereira
James

This list just shows me how much deadwood we have, amongst the top class players who are playing magnificently atm.

Scholsey2004

Selling VdB would be absolutely nuts. He hasn’t started brilliantly but who would if they got 1 game in 7 and generally plays around backup players in cup games? He’s also still adapting to English football. He’s a top player with technical ability in abundance, intelligence and an excellent work-rate. He’s a CL semi-final level player as he showed in 2018-19. Watch his performances against Bayern, Real, Juve and Spurs again. Scored a difficult chance against Athens too.

I can see where you’re coming from with Pogba because he clearly wants to go, but I’d love to keep him here. James is definitely one, and unfortunately Axel has never impressed me either.

If it were up to me, I’d sell:
Romero
Rojo
Jones
Axel
AWB (can be easily upgraded)
Dalot
Matic (see AWB)
Mata
Lingard
Pereira
James

This list just shows me how much deadwood we have, amongst the top class players who are playing magnificently atm.
I think you're drastically over-rating van de Beek and drastically under-rating AWB.

RashyForPM

I think you're drastically over-rating van de Beek and drastically under-rating AWB.
We clearly have differing opinions on VdB’s ability, but from what I see of AWB, he’s just a guy who can tackle and not do much else. Can’t mark the back post, always drifts inside leaving the opposition LB or LW wide open and has very little technical ability, certainly not good enough for us. His double destruction of Robertson in the last few minutes yesterday was genuinely one of the first times I’ve been impressed with his ball work since he arrived.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
First and foremost the usual suspects need to go and reduce the wage bill.
The money that some of these players are on is an absolute joke and costing the club Millions that could be much better used elsewhere.

Rojo, Romero, Grant, Dalot & Jones (how has he escaped for yet another transfer window.??? Oh yeah, because he is bloody injured again...!!)
These players clearly have no future at the club and what they cost in wages probably outweighs any nominal fee we'd likely collect.
Mata is another on massive wages, and has now been phased out of the first team.
Again, I can't see us getting a fee for him that outweighs his wages, as he is apparently on more than £8M per year. It's another free transfer.
Matic probably won't have much of a price tag, but again, another player past his best on a large wage.

Lingard would surely be worth a decent sum in today's market, and I wouldn't hesitate to cash in on Martial if we could get a good sum to be used against a better striker.
If Pogba wants to leave, not sure what we'd get for him given his current length of contract, but should still be a significant amount to reinvest.

Dve

Perhaps Lindelöf. I rate him, but if we could bring in someone like Upamecano, we could do with Bailly and Tuanzebe as back-ups. Not sure how much we could get for him, but probably in the range of 20-30m. And Martial, unless he goes on to have a great second part of the season, like he did last year. And I think he could.

ChaddyP

Henderson. Great goalkeeper.. Needs games... Needs to move on because de gea any going anywhere imo. We could get a good bit of cash for him

Pavl3n

Yeah, we all want to get rid of the deadwood for £10m each: Romero, Lingard, Dallot, Rojo, Jones, Pereira, Mata. It's not happening.

Martial, Lindelof or Bailly, Henderson - these are the players that could fetch around £25m on average.
Martial is definitely a weak link. He's been here over 5 years and apart from a couple of purple patches, I don't think he's done anything significant.
Lindelof or Bailly are decent defenders, who seem to be lacking that extra bit to be considered as top defenders. Lindelof might be reading the game well,
but his lack of pace and aerial presence are standing out comparing to his good qualities. While Bailly can't seem to string more than 3-4 games,
whether the reason is injury or he gets complacent and loses that sharp concentration.
Henderson - he's a good keeper, worth having him as a back up to De Gea as that competition for places has sprung De Gea to find back his form. But if we're
looking to raise funds, Dean would fetch a good transfer fee - maybe somewhere around £30/£40m.

Manoucha09

I've been thinking about this recently. While we're not a selling team, it's strange how little we make from player sales. Other than Lukaku and Di Maria, both of whom we basically made a loss, I can't remember us making much from player sales in recent years. I guess that will hopefully change with our revamped academy and Ole's transfer policy.

We have a tendency to hold on to players for too long. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the following leave this summer along with the expected departures (Jones, Lingard, Romero and Mata):

Dalot - 5m
Pereira - 5m
Pogba - 60~70m
James - 15m
Chong - 5m

That would give us around 100m extra to spend this summer. I would retain Matic for his experience and give Martial and De Gea one more year and see if they can show any improvements next season.

Infra-red

We should hopefully get £40m+ for Pogba

We need to move on a goalkeeper or two - we're spending about £500k a week on De Gea and Henderson, which is ludicrous - at least one of them should be sold.

Martial is a waste of space, but will probably stick around for another year.

The deadwood (Lingard, Dalot, Chong, James, Pereira, Jones etc) won't get us much, but every little helps.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Right now, in this market?

Hard to say. But if you told me to get rid of three players with the following in mind: 1) how much would you get for 'em and 2) how much would you lose from selling 'em (in football terms)...

...I'd probably go for Pogba, De Gea and Martial.

SAFMUTD

For the deadwood we are not getting significant money, so I would say Martial, De Gea, Maguire should get us around 100M. As other posters have said, we are spending a lot in wages for Henderson and De Gea, we need to either loan out Henderson or sell De Gea for him to take his place or sell Henderson. But its stupid to keep two players earning so much for just one position that hardly rotates because of need.

Rauður Djöfull

Get rid of

Jones
Lingard
A. Pereira
Dalot
Romero
Bailly
Mata
Matic
Martial (to try and buy Haaland)
J. Pereira
Grant (retire)
Chong
Tuanzebe (permanently or a loan to PL club where he gets minutes constantly)
D. James?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Need to shift Tuanzebe off while teams like Villa still think he's got good potential.

Either as a way of getting the Grealish fee down, or just a straight £20m if we're very lucky.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Need to shift Tuanzebe off while teams like Villa still think he's got good potential.

Either as a way of getting the Grealish fee down, or just a straight £20m if we're very lucky.
Let's add 5m more and go for Mbappe. Worst case scenario we add James to the deal but I hope PSG won't be that greedy!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ok then I thought I missed something :lol:

But still I think this price might be a bit too high for Tuanzebe. About 10 times too high.
I did have to re-check what I'd written :lol:

But that's where the "very lucky" part comes for Tuanzebe.

If we keep playing him we'll have to pay someone by the end of this season with any more own goals and hapless moments.

OleGunnar20

Outside of the obvious deadwood (Lingard, Jones, Pereira et al ), I'd go:

Tuanzebe - I feel we need a new starting CB alongside Maguire, someone physically dominant along the lines of Konate or Kounde. He's unlikely to get enough minutes to develop and likely has more value than Bailly currently so, I'd move him on.

Levitt - Looks decent, but with a (hopefully) DM coming in soon we'll be stacked at senior level in the middle of the park, with the likes of Garner & Mejbri also knocking at the door for chances soon enough. Better for his career to move on and for our bank balance to get some cash while he's still all potential.

De Gea - Crazy wages, an accident waiting to happen. Such a shame since he was so, so good for us for many years, but it's been 2/3 seasons that he's been costing us big time now and he doesn't even seem to pull off those amazing relex saves so often these days. I'd like Henderson to get a real chance at the #1 this season, and reasses in the summer.

James (?)- Gives his all and is a very likeable player but doesn't appear to have what it takes, and if anything appears to be going backwards since that red hot start. I like him as a backup LW but we should move him on if we expect Diallo / Pellestri to join the senior squad.

Chong - Looked bright at youth level, but completely out of his depth when given chances in a wide open RW berth. Move on while he still has the 'Potential' value.

Williams (Unless Ole is moving him to RB) - LB looks well covered and right footed left backs never quite fit for me, what with wingers all wanting to cut in these days. I'd have expected him to get game time at RB this year or at the very least a loan, but he's had neither. Weird season for him so far and unless Ole wants to develop him as backup to AWB I think it'd suit all parties to move on.

I like Matic for another year and have no idea what Mata's plans are. Seems a good character to have around the squad but is presumably still on decent wages.

I'd be looking at CB / DM / CF or RW as the positions to strengthen with some real statement signings. Konate / Ndidi / Haaland or Sancho please .. easy as that right?

croadyman

Outside of the obvious deadwood (Lingard, Jones, Pereira et al ), I'd go:

Tuanzebe - I feel we need a new starting CB alongside Maguire, someone physically dominant along the lines of Konate or Kounde. He's unlikely to get enough minutes to develop and likely has more value than Bailly currently so, I'd move him on.

Levitt - Looks decent, but with a (hopefully) DM coming in soon we'll be stacked at senior level in the middle of the park, with the likes of Garner & Mejbri also knocking at the door for chances soon enough. Better for his career to move on and for our bank balance to get some cash while he's still all potential.

De Gea - Crazy wages, an accident waiting to happen. Such a shame since he was so, so good for us for many years, but it's been 2/3 seasons that he's been costing us big time now and he doesn't even seem to pull off those amazing relex saves so often these days. I'd like Henderson to get a real chance at the #1 this season, and reasses in the summer.

James (?)- Gives his all and is a very likeable player but doesn't appear to have what it takes, and if anything appears to be going backwards since that red hot start. I like him as a backup LW but we should move him on if we expect Diallo / Pellestri to join the senior squad.

Chong - Looked bright at youth level, but completely out of his depth when given chances in a wide open RW berth. Move on while he still has the 'Potential' value.

Williams (Unless Ole is moving him to RB) - LB looks well covered and right footed left backs never quite fit for me, what with wingers all wanting to cut in these days. I'd have expected him to get game time at RB this year or at the very least a loan, but he's had neither. Weird season for him so far and unless Ole wants to develop him as backup to AWB I think it'd suit all parties to move on.

I like Matic for another year and have no idea what Mata's plans are. Seems a good character to have around the squad but is presumably still on decent wages.

I'd be looking at CB / DM / CF or RW as the positions to strengthen with some real statement signings. Konate / Ndidi / Haaland or Sancho please .. easy as that right?
Unfortunately there is no chance of us being able to make statement signings in any of those positions due to the current financial situation, would be a different story if we were a club bankrolled by oil but our yankee leeches are more interested in spending money on their American Football plaything to make it the best instead.

OleGunnar20

Unfortunately there is no chance of us being able to make statement signings in any of those positions due to the current financial situation, would be a different story if we were a club bankrolled by oil but our yankee leeches are more interested in spending money on their American Football plaything to make it the best instead.
The glazers are leeches of the highest order, no doubt about it. They have however shown in the past that they're happy to pay big fees, as recently as our man Bruno even who wasn't exactly cheap.

On the other side of things - we're in a really privileged position as one of the most insulated clubs in world football. The Spanish clubs are in financial disarray, the French league too after their TV deal crisis - there are going to be some real desperate clubs out there looking for cash, and we could be one of the few who can provide it in any large quantities.

If I were the Glazers I'd be taking advantage and hoovering up some top players at reduced fees, even if it meant a few years of relative austerity afterwards (we've a young squad who hopefully wouldn't need major surgery given a few major additions to the spine).

Of course whether they will is another thing entirely, but I think it makes business sense which has to help things.

Konate / Ndidi / Sancho was toungue in cheek football manager talk, but I don't see why one or two of the above and a lesser alternative(s) to the remaining would be completely out of the question, especially if we were able to shift wages elsewhere in the squad.

davidmichael

Seeing as it’s become even more clear than it already was that Lindelof and Maguire can’t ever play together and Lindelof seems to have become a bit injury prone with this back problem I’d look at including him in a deal for a new centre back or moving him on seeing as we’d still have Maguire, Bailly, Tuanzebe and a new centre back.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Grant - release (doesn’t play so promote Kovar to 3rd choice)
Romero - release (doesn’t play and wants to leave)
Jones - release (doesnt play as injury prone)
Mata - release (rarely plays, give minutes to pellestri)
Andreas P - 5m (on loan anyway)
Lingard - 15+m (rarely played. Pellestri take minutes)
Pogba - 45+m (too inconsistent and wants to leave. Replace with grealish)
James -18m (Diallo has arrived)
Chong - 2.5m (no where near good enough)
Williams- 10m (bring Dalot back from loan)
Tuanzabe - 20m (include in deal for grealish)

thats 120m in fees + salary savings

Last edited:

stevoc

Get rid of

Jones
Lingard
A. Pereira
Dalot
Romero
Bailly
Mata
Matic
Martial (to try and buy Haaland)
J. Pereira
Grant (retire)
Chong
Tuanzebe (permanently or a loan to PL club where he gets minutes constantly)
D. James?
14 players in one window?

Louis is that you?

stevoc

Grant - release
Romero - release
Jones - release
Matic - release
Mata - release
Andreas P - 5m
Lingard - 15+m
Pogba - 45+m
James -18m
Chong - 2.5m
Williams- 10m
Tuanzabe - 20m

thats 120m in fees + salary savings
I'd agree with list except for Matic and maybe Tuanzebe. I'd swap Tuanzebe for Bailly and sign a new centre back to replace him.

Doesn't look like Pogba is signing a new deal so we need to sell him despite his recent good form.

14 players in one window?

Louis is that you?
we have been very lucky with injuries this season, usually we would need a deeper squad.

can’t argue too much with any of the individuals on the list - but you can’t get rid of that many players in one go.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'd sell Pogba and buy Graelish and then I'd sell most of the shitty squad players to try make up the fee to buy Haaland. Feck Martial out while we're at it. Job done.

I think then in a normal season without crazy congestion we'd have a squad capable of winning the title. Maybe grab a Lindelof replacement too, seeing as Bailly can't stay fit.

siw2007

Romero - free
DeGea - hope to get around £25m but with big wages I'm not sure he will go, though he does need to go to re-discover his form.
Grant - free
Tuanzebe - £15m, he is at an age where he needs games in order to develop. Its a shame to let him go, I really hoped he would make it here but he isn't pulling up any trees at the moment so its best that he leaves. Maybe he can come back one day if he starts to fulfil his potential.
Pogba - £50m We need the transfer fee, he has done better recently but if he wants to go, now is the time too let him.
Dan James - £25m He is a player I think we will want to upgrade on in the summer so I think we can sell for a nice profit.

There might be the odd young player like Levitt or Chong we can sell to raise an extra £10m from.

With the financial crisis, I wouldn't be surprised if our budget would only stand at around £50-£60m without sales but hopefully with them, we can go out and buy a new CB, CM and RW. We might look for a new back up keeper as well for a cheap fee.