Which players would you sell to raise funds ?

lysglimt

Scout
Lets forget Romero, Rojo, Jones etc - players we might get £5 million pounds for on a good day - if OGS is told in order to sign a Sancho, a Grealish etc - he must raise a lot of money by selling players and freeing up additional wages - which players would you be willing to sacrifice ? Let's for arguments sake say - you need to raise over £50 million pounds to bring in Grealish or Sancho

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pogba seems to be the obvious one. He is at the end of his contract, we don't necessarily need him and he is probably worth around 50m.

Alemar

Lets forget Romero, Rojo, Jones etc - players we might get £5 million pounds for on a good day - if OGS is told in order to sign a Sancho, a Grealish etc - he must raise a lot of money by selling players and freeing up additional wages - which players would you be willing to sacrifice ? Let's for arguments sake say - you need to raise over £50 million pounds to bring in Grealish or Sancho
Jesse Lingard
Andreas Pereira
Joel Pereira
Sergio Romero
Marcos Rojo
Phil Jones
Eric Bailly
Brandon Williams
Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Diogo Dalot

All of those combined may fetch some money, and their absence wouldn’t influence the team one bit

Last edited:

SamVimes

Pogba is the most obvious. If his Agent is anything to go by, he wants out.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The sum of Bailly, Jones, Romero, Lingard, Dalot and James should probably give us something, and at a minimum free up wages. Maybe Tuanzebe too. Could also consider Donny if he is as useless in training that he is in games.

And if we want Grealish we could consider selling Pogba and/or Martial. Grealish would be a good replacement for both of them.

AneRu

Martial and Pogba.
I think Martial is safe, for now at least because it would cost us more to replace him as the only other player capable of playing his role is a 34 year old veteran recovering from a major injury.

Pogba, James, Pereira and Lingard would be top of my list particularly the former two could earn decent fees. With Telles and Shaw for LB I no longer see the need for Williams but I guess with Dalot going out he could fill in on the right.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think Martial is safe, for now at least because it would cost us more to replace him as the only other player capable of playing his role is a 34 year old veteran recovering from a major injury.

Pogba, James, Pereira and Lingard would be top of my list particularly the former two could earn decent fees. With Telles and Shaw for LB I no longer see the need for Williams but I guess with Dalot going out he could fill in on the right.
The OP said to raise significant funds. martial would generate at least £70m, o don’t think the players you have mentioned do, unless we sell the whole lot.

I suggested Martial because we have Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood who can play at CF plus we have Mata and James as cover for the wings/Inverted forward positions, and Diallo and Pellistri within 18 months. Also the incoming player suggested in OP is like Sancho or Grealish, who can also play wide.

id love to keep Martial, he is versatile and can be a sensational player at times, very useful to have in a top level squad, but he is expendable if the situation demanded so.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Jesse Lingard
Andreas Pereira
Joel Pereira
Sergio Romero
Marcos Rojo
Phil Jones
Eric Bailly
Brandon Williams
Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Diogo Dalot

All of those combined may fetch some money, and their absence wouldn’t influence the team one bit
But it’s highly unlikely we can sell all in one go, so doesn’t solve the issue.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Even if hypotetical, it is an interesting topic. If Grealish got the mentality for it, he would be able to push us close to 90 points. If we had him from the start his year instead of Donny, we would probably be challenging for the title.

In terms of talent, he is even better than Bruno. He could have a similar impact as Bruno, and make us less voulnerable to injuries on Bruno/Rashford. I think Bruno/Grealish would be really complementary aswell.

Do we have the cash to sign Grealish? Probably not, and we need other players too.

AneRu

The OP said to raise significant funds. martial would generate at least £70m, o don’t think the players you have mentioned do, unless we sell the whole lot.

I suggested Martial because we have Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood who can play at CF plus we have Mata and James as cover for the wings/Inverted forward positions, and Diallo and Pellistri within 18 months. Also the incoming player suggested in OP is like Sancho or Grealish, who can also play wide.

id love to keep Martial, he is versatile and can be a sensational player at times, very useful to have in a top level squad, but he is expendable if the situation demanded so.
I don't think he has done enough to attract the interest of clubs that are capable of paying in excess of £70m.

I agree that he is expendable but I think that selling him to buy say Grealish would be counter productive because we'd still need a CF who is ready to start week in and week out which I think is a game too many for Cavani and we are too far gone in our rebuild to start another project with Greenwood as a serious CF option.

If I am selling Martial I want a top striker to replace him and hopefully fire us to a title not to place reset and have the forward line being set back with consistency issues again.

Pogba (£50m), James (£20m), Lingard (£5m), Pereira (15m) and Dalot (£15m) would give us significant funds to buy someone like Grealish.

edcunited1878

Martial's importance to the team continues to get misunderstood. Rashford and Greenwood are forwards who score first and have a hard time bringing others into play. Martial has a better balance of bringing others into play from the left, upfront, and dropping back. He allows Bruno to drift up the pitch as a forward. You can run off him knowing he can pass to you.

If it's only 50M pounds to be raised, then it's Pogba and only Pogba. A Grealish or Sancho walks right into Pogba's wages with some to spare.

AneRu

Even if hypotetical, it is an interesting topic. If Grealish got the mentality for it, he would be able to push us close to 90 points. If we had him from the start his year instead of Donny, we would probably be challenging for the title.

In terms of talent, he is even better than Bruno. He could have a similar impact as Bruno, and make us less voulnerable to injuries on Bruno/Rashford. I think Bruno/Grealish would be really complementary aswell.

Do we have the cash to sign Grealish? Probably not, and we need other players too.
What's frustrating is that we could have got £80m for Pogba 18 months ago and Bruno was there for the taking then. We also sold Lukaku so we could have had a significant war chest to sign both Grealish and Sancho in the summer, a little foresight could have told us that Pogba wasn't going to sign a new deal but what's done is done.

Alemar

Martial's importance to the team continues to get misunderstood. Rashford and Greenwood are forwards who score first and have a hard time bringing others into play.
That said, Rashford is currently joint 2nd (together with Martial) in the team on assists made...

Martial has 4G+5A, which is not bad. Rashford has 12+5...

edcunited1878

That said, Rashford is currently joint 2nd (together with Martial) in the team on assists made...

Martial has 4G+5A, which is not bad. Rashford has 12+5...
Martial hasn't played nearly as much as Marcus has due to his suspension and whatever injuries he may have had.

Deery

Dreary
I wouldn’t sell any of the best players to bring Sancho or Grealish in.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think quality should be retained. Martial is a very useful squad player and one I would like to keep. The savings can be made in the wage budget over time.

Romero, Rojo, Jones, Mata, Lingard are five names that can be sold between now and next summer.

According to spotrac, those 5 names alone account for about £24 million a year in wages.

In other words, two years of those players on our books doing nothing, is the price of one Paul pogba in 2021.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Pogba could fetch £50 million, which would be the most that the club could bring in in one go. De Gea is the next highest fund raiser, but whether the club would sell him is debatable, could be £30 to £40 million. Matic is interesting, if we do bring in Moises, then Matic could be regarded as surplus, and I think he could bring in a tidy sum from Italy, possibly £10 to £15 million, he certainly struggles with the pace of the prem, but technically speaking, he still has a lot to offer, so could be a surprise sale.
Most of the rest would be negligible, Dalot £10 million, if he performs well at AC. Romero £4 million, Lingard £5 million, Rojo £4 million, Jones £5 million (would think he would go on loan initially to prove his fitness, or otherwise), Pereira £3 million.
We are also bringing through a lot of youngsters, so some of those could bring in a nice sum, but we need to get them on slightly longer contracts. I think most of our activity will be in the summer.

What's frustrating is that we could have got £80m for Pogba 18 months ago and Bruno was there for the taking then. We also sold Lukaku so we could have had a significant war chest to sign both Grealish and Sancho in the summer, a little foresight could have told us that Pogba wasn't going to sign a new deal but what's done is done.
At that point Pogba has 3 years left on his contract.

L1nk

Pogba
Martial
De Gea

My thinking is, regardless of Pogba's recent form, there has been a circus around him for years now, and his recent form doesn't negate the fact he's been awful a lot of the times and that he apparently wants to go, just sell up this summer.
Martial just blows too hot and cold for me, great player on his day, but, i'd prefer to keep Rashford and Greenwood, and then have a proper striker like say Haaland instead of Martial.
De Gea, still our best goalkeeper by a mile, but not as good as he used to be, and I think Henderson will eventually become the No.1, i'd chuck him in whilst we could still potentially get something for De Gea

Bearing in mind this is if we have to sell to raise funds, as per the OP, ideally id rather not sell Martial or De Gea

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Away from the obvious candidates that everyone would want out — Dan James, Brandon Williams, Axel Tuanzebe, and Dean Henderson. The latter two (mostly Henderson) I would sell with a very generous buy-back or sell-on clause. Williams would be good to go on loan for a season to someone mid table who play decent football before fetching a nice fee.

Nothing against the players particularly, I’d just love for us to act proactively with our youth players and sell at their highest value, rather than let them depreciate for the next 3 years, barely playing any football.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I know it's not the de Gea vs Henderson thread but since I don't doubt a good amount of such claims will happen I'd like to hear one credible argument for 'Henderson is as good as De Gea' and therefore, good enough for United camp. Just a bit of reasoning behind that. And no, I'm not talking about playing for Sheffield United as Ben Foster himself proved that playing for a nothing side can make you look great.

NoPace

Away from the obvious candidates that everyone would want out — Dan James, Brandon Williams, Axel Tuanzebe, and Dean Henderson. The latter two (mostly Henderson) I would sell with a very generous buy-back or sell-on clause. Williams would be good to go on loan for a season to someone mid table who play decent football before fetching a nice fee.

Nothing against the players particularly, I’d just love for us to act proactively with our youth players and sell at their highest value, rather than let them depreciate for the next 3 years, barely playing any football.
Yeah we did it with Pereira and a way too big option to buy (I think it's 27M when it should be like 18-20M and then maybe put in if he hits double digits in goals and assists in the season then sure, 25-30M), but I agree that Brandon Williams or Tuanzebe would be a good fit for that.

I'd keep Deano and De Gea and if a massive offer for De Gea comes in then sure we can sell and buy another keeper to compete with De Gea and use the 40-50M difference somewhere else, sure, but if they're down to compete then having 2 keepers is good.

James I think we should keep because a pacy winger who works hard is a classically useful bench player in the way a poaching 9 or a CB good in the air or a DM who can shut down a game is. You just want those types of players on the bench, whether it's hitting crosses from the right providing real width against a packed defence, or running at a tired fullback or in the front 3 once you're playing purely on the counter.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pogba & de Gea are the obvious ones, we could fetch good money for them & they aren’t essential to the team anymore. Other then them, probably Wan-Bissaka & Maguire, we’d get good money for both with the English tax & both are very limited & could be upgraded on.

Martial is well underrated on here. He’s essential to our build up. I swear if he was English you would rate him higher, unconscious bias to British players is so prevalent on the caf I’ve noticed it for years. Foreign black players have especially thin ice.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
David De Gea and Pogba, having said that I like both players.
More chance of getting a good fee for Henderson than Dave.

I'd rather we just sign young hungry players who are desperate to prove themselves. Unless a character becomes available, a winner to influence the dressing room (like Fernandes).

Red_Orchestra

Jesse Lingard
Andreas Pereira
Joel Pereira
Sergio Romero
Marcos Rojo
Phil Jones
Eric Bailly
Brandon Williams
Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Diogo Dalot

If we sell all of those players for around £5m each, that's £50m in total! Add Pogba to the list for another £50m.
We can only dream of axing all of those players.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Romero, Jones, Rojo, lingard, Pereira. Pogba probably wants to leave also but who knows the future :)

binary bot
Never understood people strengthening one area to significantly weaken another. A keeper and Pogba you can argue the depth is there to handle it, but the likes of Lindelof, Martial, Maguire, AWB? You need a squad to challenge for trophies. We'd be worse off with any of those for Sancho or Grealish.

Dante

Average bang
One out of DDG and Henderson will almost certainly be sold this summer. That's £30m+ off the bat.

Then throw Pogba (£60m+ if he has a good Euros), Lingard, Jones, Rojo, Bailly, Mata, Pereira, TFM, Romero and Dalot into the mix. I think we could easily raise £150m+ with a bit of negotiation from Woodward.

KennyBurner

Martial's importance to the team continues to get misunderstood. Rashford and Greenwood are forwards who score first and have a hard time bringing others into play. Martial has a better balance of bringing others into play from the left, upfront, and dropping back. He allows Bruno to drift up the pitch as a forward. You can run off him knowing he can pass to you.

If it's only 50M pounds to be raised, then it's Pogba and only Pogba. A Grealish or Sancho walks right into Pogba's wages with some to spare.
Well said. Martial is irreplaceable for me. No other player in the team has his skillset. Can hold up the ball and score.

I would sell Pogba and De gea. Dont even think anyone would be willing to take De gea off our hands. Maybe PSG but even they are not that stupid. Pogba has really fecked us if he is worth 50 million instead of the 120 plus posters were so sure of last season.

Web of Bissaka

Pogba definitely.
Then De Gea, Matic, Mata, Williams, TFM, Fred, James in that order.

Last choices are Martial, VDB (not anytime soon), Axel (if his injury issue persist) and then lastly Greenwood (if we have to) in that order.

Of course other than RoJones, Bailly, Grant, the two Pereiras, Dalot, Lingard that I would sell all first along with Pogba at the top.

Web of Bissaka

David De Gea and Pogba, having said that I like both players.
This. You wanna raise serious money, them's your two cash cows!
De Gea? Doubt many clubs are willing to splash that high for him.
We need him to produce one last World Class performances for many months first then maybe. Face it, he's not that top level this season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Which club in world football will pay De Gea wages on top of a big fee??!?

SpanishMain

Which club in world football will pay De Gea wages on top of a big fee??!?
This is the crux of the matter. De Gea's wages are too high for anyone to pay a high fee for him.
We could only get a nominal fee. We are better off keeping him for now, unless getting his
wages off the book is our goal - which I believe is not the intent of this thread, but to raise cash.