Which players would you sell to raise funds ?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Definitely Pogba. In additiont to the fee, he'd free up a huge amount of wages.

I wouldn't sell Martial. He gives us a dimension in terms of technical quality in attack we don't otherwise have.

AneRu

At that point Pogba has 3 years left on his contract.
But he wanted to leave then meaning that the chances of him signing another deal were slim at best.

Our bargaining position would only get weaker by the day and it has while he is no longer as important on the pitch as he was then because we eventually signed Bruno, something we could have done six months earlier whilst evicting Pogba and his circus from OT.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
...................... Henderson.................. .
Dalot..........Jones..........Bailly...........Rojo
....................tfm.............Pogba...............
Lingaard.............Mata...................James
...........................martial..........................
Probably something like 200m there?
But also probably a million quid a week off the wage bill

davidmichael

Dalot, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah, Matic, Pogba, Lingard and Mata which probably only brings in around £100 million in total but probably saves £1 million a week in wages too.

We’ve got Laird and Williams to pick up Dalot’s minutes and be back up to AWB, we’re after a centre back plus have Tuanzebe and Mengi to replace the Bailly/Jones/Rojo ‘triangle of terror’, we’d no doubt bring in a pure defensive midfielder to replace Matic plus it looks like we’re signing Caceido, DVB is Pogba’s replacement, Diallo and Pellestri replace Mata and Lingard plus Chong is to come back and we’ll likely go in for Sancho again which means Greenwood can play central.

Gopher Brown

The OP said to raise significant funds. martial would generate at least £70m, o don’t think the players you have mentioned do, unless we sell the whole lot.

I suggested Martial because we have Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood who can play at CF plus we have Mata and James as cover for the wings/Inverted forward positions, and Diallo and Pellistri within 18 months. Also the incoming player suggested in OP is like Sancho or Grealish, who can also play wide.

id love to keep Martial, he is versatile and can be a sensational player at times, very useful to have in a top level squad, but he is expendable if the situation demanded so.
£70m for Martial? What planet do you live on? This is us selling him, not a club trying to buy him from us.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Pogba
Martial
De Gea

My thinking is, regardless of Pogba's recent form, there has been a circus around him for years now, and his recent form doesn't negate the fact he's been awful a lot of the times and that he apparently wants to go, just sell up this summer.
Martial just blows too hot and cold for me, great player on his day, but, i'd prefer to keep Rashford and Greenwood, and then have a proper striker like say Haaland instead of Martial.
De Gea, still our best goalkeeper by a mile, but not as good as he used to be, and I think Henderson will eventually become the No.1, i'd chuck him in whilst we could still potentially get something for De Gea

Bearing in mind this is if we have to sell to raise funds, as per the OP, ideally id rather not sell Martial or De Gea
Completely agree

Though i agree about Martial, the problem with replacing him is that there are not really an abundance of good CF's available and the ones that do fit the bill are going to cost an arm and a leg

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ddg, lindelof, Pogba, Shaw, Martial, Fred, Tuanzebe

Kweku Amonoo

People actually want to get rid of Martial!? Shocking! He’s just coming off a season where he had 30 something goal involvements and won poty.
Hasn’t started the season well, but the recent signs are that he’s getting his mojo back. You lot are very very impatient.

Alemar

Sell Pogba, Martial and De Gea. Sign Sancho and Grealish
Why to sell Martial and de Gea when they are first team starters? We need to sell dross, not to weaken our starting XI. If you manage to sell leftovers to generate cash, then you may strengthen the team. But if you sell your better players to buy other good players, you just replace

As such, we don’t need to sell anyone who starts for the team (apart from maybe Pogba if he doesn’t want to extend - that’s fair enough). And whom we need to sell / get rid of are those who don’t play and have some value, in particular:
Lingard
Dalot
Williams
A Pereira
Fosu-Mensah
Bailly
Romero

Players like J.Pereira, Jones and Rojo have zero value, so it’s not about “selling” them - here we just need to discontinue their services

Last edited:

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Maguire, Pogba, Lingard, Dalot, Pereira should bring in around £130m. Sign Upamecano/Konate and Grealish.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sell Martial to fund Sancho or Grealish? No chance. I'd get rid of Anthony only if we were certain we can land Haaland / Kane type of striker. I wouldn't target Grealish and Sancho anyway.

Selling Pogba basically forces us to go for another midfielder, so first we need to know what exactly to make of van de Beek. It's about time we start playing him in midfield.

Edit: De Gea would be a good shout. If Henderson proves to be on the level as he is rated on this forum, we could get decent money for Dave and free up a lot of cash in wages.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Pogba - Love him but it would best for both parties if he left at the end of the season

Bailly - Decent when fit but he never is. Would replace with Mukiele or Klostermann, who can play centre back and cover for right back.

Lingard - Obviously surplus but could reignite his form at another club.

Rocknrolla69er

If I could get enough for Pogba £60m and Martial £70m to sign haaland and Sancho I'd do it in a flash.

Sancho on a reduced fee £70m contract running to an end
And Haalands £60m release clause.

£130m doable .

crossy1686

career ending
Why to sell Martial and de Gea when they are first team starters? We need to sell dross, not to weaken our starting XI. If you manage to sell leftovers to generate cash, then you may strengthen the team. But if you sell your better players to buy other good players, you just replace

As such, we don’t need to sell anyone who starts for the team (apart from maybe Pogba if he doesn’t want to extend - that’s fair enough). And whom we need to sell / get rid of are those who don’t play and have some value, in particular:
Lingard
Dalot
Williams
A Pereira
Fosu-Mensah
Bailly
Romero

Players like J.Pereira, Jones and Rojo have zero value, so it’s not about “selling” them - here we just need to discontinue their services
All those players are given, of course they should be sold also. If we want to raise funds and reinvest on quality then we should sell the players I mentioned.

Their performances have dropped massive or they’re too inconsistent to be a starter for Manchester United. Don’t kid yourself into thinking we’re dependant on anyone, some people seem to think we have some players bigger than the club.

sparx99

Definitely Pogba. In additiont to the fee, he'd free up a huge amount of wages.

I wouldn't sell Martial. He gives us a dimension in terms of technical quality in attack we don't otherwise have.
I’d sell Martial if we were buying Haaland.

reddevilz007

Completely agree

Though i agree about Martial, the problem with replacing him is that there are not really an abundance of good CF's available and the ones that do fit the bill are going to cost an arm and a leg

Sell all 3 and get Haaland, and we’re good

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I take it the OP means raise funds for the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Haaland etc?

Pogba it seems wants out, so that one is a obvious one which should get us a good transfer fee.

Lindelof next because it's widely reported that Solskjaer still wants a commanding CB who will allow him to play a more expansive game. So signing someone who can defend in 1v1 scenarios when the fullbacks are caught up field would make Lindelof a squad player. I can also see the positives of keeping him as a rotation player to rest the first choice pairing from time to time.

And last but not least I'd sell DDG, but selling him will be very difficult due to his ridiculous wage. But if we did manage to sell him then the wages we'd free up would give us even more scope in the transfer market. But the biggest advantage to selling him would be that it would open up the possibility of us having a keeper who could sweep and command his area. That keeper may or may not be Henderson, but it will be easier to move Henderson on if he doesn't live upto the standards required.

Solskjaer has spoken about wanting to play a particular brand of football and he has said that he's working towards that transition which seems like it's coming to fruition. So signing players that will allow him to complete the transition will be key, which will give us the option of sacrificing defensive stability for goals.

So from my understanding it seems like Solskjaer wants the team to give him the option of attacking with 6 and defending with 4 or attacking with 7 and defending with 3 in a higher line. Obviously we can't play like that in every game but against the so called lesser sides it will prove to be very effective due to the sheer volume of players that will be involved in the transition in a higher defensive line. Our build-up phase would also begin 15 yards higher up the pitch which should make our transitions a lot smoother and give us the opportunity to pin teams in their own half. But the key thing is to have the right calibre of player in both the defensive and offensive phases of play which would provide defensive balance which in turn will give the attacking players a solid platform to sustain waves of attacks.

Khalif_20

Sell - 160 million
Martial (70 m)
De Gea (30 m)
Lindelof (30 m)
James (20 m)
Matic (10 m)

Buy - 160 million
Onana (20 m)
Demiral (30 m)
Camavinga (40 m)
Adama Traoré (70 m)
Çalhanoğlu (free!)

Amad - Rashford - Adama
-----------Çalhanoğlu
----Pogba-------------Bruno
------------Camavinga
Demiral - Maguire - AWB
---------------Onana

The only weakness there is Maguire, but I don't believe we can realistically get rid of him anytime soon. He'll be replaced by Mengi eventually, while Greenwood needs to develop and displace Rashford from the #9 spot.

Tallis

Agree with Adnan. On Lindelof, my preference would be to keep him and rotate our 3 CBs plus give some time to Axel.

I was trying to count and think we have around 8 senior players out of contract by next summer (assuming Lingard doesn’t get an extension which seems unlikely). We obviously won’t get any transfer free money here but would save some wages and open up squad spots.

For sales - Pogba, Andreas, Bailly and perhaps Dalot are obvious ones. For Dalot - if he has a good season at Milan and Ole wants to take him back and give him some time, I think that could be a useful move.

If we sign another MF in the summer, we can get move Matić.

If we sign another established forward in the summer, we can move on James and give the squad spot to someone from the academy.

Reactions: Sultan

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Sales:
Pogba (50-60M), Dalot (10M), Lingard(Free-10M), Martial *(50M), Mata (5M), Bailly (20M), James (20M)

*Selling Martial is not essential at this stage but in the next 2 years he needs to be replaced, he's not at the level we need.
Release:
Jones, Rojo, Romero, Pereira

MrSingh2002

Considering we have an outside chance of fighting for a top 2 position this season I wouldn't sell anyone that we may need at some point in the season.

Sell in January
Jones
Lingard
Pereira

Summer Exit
Mata
Rojo

Keep
Dalot and Williams to battle it out for backup right back
Romero and make a decision on who our number one should be next season out of De Gea and Henderson as neither would be content with number 2.

Andersons Dietician

Pogba probably the most obvious one but honestly if we turned around sold Lindelof, Bailly, Maguire ,Tuanzebe, I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

Stevieboy

Rojo
Jones
Martial
Lingard
Romero (with a heavy heart, he’d be my number one, but he’s gonna go on a free anyway)
Daniel James

Craig Ward

Pogba
Martial
Lingard
Lindelof
Bailly
Jones
Periera's loan to perm
Rojo loan to perm
Matic (Retire or sod off to a league to his level (MLS/Similar))
Mata (See Matic)

We dont really need a replacement for Lingard/Periera/Mata - they dont feature anymore anyway.
We need a better CF than Martial
Pogba's off, just a matter of time.

We are desperate for a CB so best to get the one's out that dont feature/arent good enough (not a chance we sell Maguire despite his flaws - Ole loves him and no one would want him!)

De Gea seems to be a popular shout - but in covid times no one is paying his wages. Likely we'd let Henderson go, despite him being our better option long term

Polar

Pogba
Martial
Lingard
Lindelof
Bailly
Jones
Periera's loan to perm
Rojo loan to perm
Mata (See Matic)

We dont really need a replacement for Lingard/Periera/Mata - they dont feature anymore anyway.

We are desperate for a CB so best to get the one's out that dont feature/arent good enough (not a chance we sell Maguire despite his flaws - Ole loves him and no one would want him!)

De Gea seems to be a popular shout - but in covid times no one is paying his wages. Likely we'd let Henderson go, despite him being our better option long term
Agree:
Martial
Lingard
Jones
Periera's loan to perm
Rojo loan to perm
Matic
Mata
De Gea

SirScholes

Pogba
Martial

Lingard
Lindelof
Bailly

Jones
Periera's loan to perm
Rojo loan to perm
Mata (See Matic)

Absolute madness, changes of this scale would change the whole dynamic of the dressing room
We’d likely only be able to bring 3 players of real quality and have the most fragile squad depth

Polar

Absolute madness, changes of this scale would change the whole dynamic of the dressing room
We’d likely only be able to bring 3 players of real quality and have the most fragile squad depth
I hope and thought he listed up or suggested alternatives and didn’t mean to replace the whole bunch:D

Next transfer window is probably the last opportunity to receive money for Mata and Matic

Lindgaard, Jones, Rojo and Pereira are no-brainers.

Perhaps we have to add one of our more valuable players on the list to be able to finance what we need. If so... my suggestion is either De Gea or Martial.

SirScholes

I hope and thought he listed up or suggested alternatives and didn’t mean to replace the whole bunch:D

Next transfer window is probably the last opportunity to receive money for Mata and Matic

Lindgaard, Jones, Rojo and Pereira are no-brainers.

Perhaps we have to add one of our more valuable players on the list to be able to finance what we need. If so... my suggestion is either De Gea or Martial.
Agreed
Just think even mata and matic have added to our season, even if it’s just boots on the field
Matic has been alright for me, I like the way he drops into an 3 man defence when in possession, it’s different.
Mata will retire here I think, I can imagine he’s a great influence in the camp
Lingard Jones rojo periera yes all gone.
If ole sells pogba martial we’re back at square one for me with the squad
Martial annoys the living daylights out of me but he’d be a strong option from the bench if he had to fight for his place against real quality and not an ageing cavani

Craig Ward

Bailly barely features
Pogba is off - just a matter of time
Lindelof isn;t good enough
Martial isn't good enough

These are the only players from my list who make the x11, or even the squad. So it's no big deal really

I agree it's hard to shift the volume of players we need to in a short period of time - but these are the changes we HAVE to make to transition the squad and start competing again.

Lindelof and Bailly are decent players - but they've been here a while now and we aren't exactly where we want to be. CB is an area we can immediately improve on, easily.

Pogba - he divides our fan base but his long term future isn;t here. He's had a long time here and has overall underwhelmed. He's had good moments, has great talent but he's not lived upto it here. He's off to Madrid - better accept it now.

Martial - again great talent but he's in and out with consistent form. Last season great, this season he's pretty average. Again he can be replaced easily.

Dynamic of the dressing room? We've had a pathetic dressing room for years - it's no bad thing shipping these players out, it will be a change for the better.

We cannot have the likes of Lingard/Jones sitting around for the money with NO motivation. We need change. We need players who want to be here.

Pogba/Martial are no real loss as long as we replace them with quality. Which we will

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Can instantly tell who plays football manager here :D not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Considering how the last 12 months have gone, I don’t see the need for wholesale changes that some do. I don’t agree with shoehorning Pogba in if it means playing him on the right wing, but I also don’t see the problem with quality strength in depth. Pogba, Matic, Bruno, Fred and McTominay have enough about them to cover the midfield for the variety of home and away games and the type of opposition that we face. I wouldn’t rush to get rid of any of them. Matic will need to be replaced soon, but it’s not worth selling him as his value is too low at his age. He has played well enough as a bit-part player and I would keep him as that.

The main position we need is a right winger, so we would have to sell enough deadwood to make up the money. Players who aren’t playing and won’t be missed: Pereira and Dalot are playing in serie A so they’ll be worth 10-15 million each, Lingard 5-10m, VDB is probably around 25m still, James 10m. Jones, Mata, Romero off the wage bill. That should be enough to get a RW without hampering the team.

Those wanting Pogba and Martial to be sold would be the first to complain about the drop in quality from first XI to the back up when injuries and suspensions kick in.

This team has done extremely well recently and we shouldn’t actively look to break it up.

Lentwood

Apart from the obvious, I would sell De Gea.

The time has come for Henderson to get his chance next season and unfortunately with Dave on such ludicrous wages we can’t have him sat on the bench playing the odd cup game.

The only trouble with that is we allowed Sam Johnstone to go too soon, we have alienated Romero and the young lad from Shrewsbury is still very young. So we would need a cheap and reliable backup GK.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Romero, Dan james, Mata on top of those already out on loans with options to buy.

if we could get 30-40 million should help.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I'd be open to selling Martial to get a clinical striker in. I think having two inconsistent forwards who are capable of changing games with moments of brilliance is one too many and I'd rather keep Rashford.

I'd love to have Grealish but that would mean Rashford at CF, a position he hasn't really adapted to.