Which posters have gotten it right all along?

Andersons Dietician

Moyes- what were they even thinking.
LVG - didn’t think he’d be the one and I wanted Poch at the time but generally I think LVG has been the best of the lot.
Jose- should never have gone near him but I think most predicted what would happen when we signed him.

Ole- I’m not really that fussed about. Wasn’t really any stand outs available at the time so he was worth a punt to see what he could do. I’m kinda leaning towards giving him another season if the recruitment could be good over the next 2 windows.

Siorac

I wanted either Mourinho, as a "safe" pair of hands, or Klopp, as an actual progressive manager, after Fergie. But I convinced myself that the great man knows what he's doing and to an extent I did feel that doing the work Moyes has done with Everton had to be enough for a chance, like how the aforementioned Klopp's work at Mainz was enough to convince Dortmund to take a chance on him.

I was mostly enthusiastic about Van Gaal after the stone age football of Moyes but I had slight niggling doubts, partly because I'm a pessimistic feck at the best of times, and partly because his Netherlands team was actually pretty fecking dull, mostly carried by Arjen Robben. Yeah, yeah, they destroyed Spain in that one game. Remember Costa Rica, though.

Mourinho I had major doubts about after his Chelsea disaster. But hey, his Real Madrid scored tons of goals in that one season and he broke their "last 16" duck in the CL so he's probably still got it. He disillusioned me pretty quickly, bar those few giddy games at the start of 2017/18.

Solskjaer... initially I thought it was a sensible move to appoint him as a caretaker while we sort out the club. I jumped on the bandwagon of giving him the job after the miracle in Paris, with the qualifier that it should come with a revamp of the club structure and establishing key requirements of results, style of play, and so on. None of which happened, as we very well know.

So I mostly got it wrong - had I not been naturally pessimistic when it comes to football, I would have got everything wrong. As a bonus, signings I really wanted include Schneiderlin, Depay, Mkhitaryan and Sanchez. Didn't want Lukaku though so I have that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Was very much against Moyes, thought he was a horrendous appointment and destined to fail but gave him support once he was in the job until it was clear he had to go.

LVG I wasn’t sure about but had more confidence in him than Moyes so was happy with the appointment at the time. Didn’t take long to become bored of his brand of football and couldn’t see us getting back to where we need to be under him.

Mourinho I was 100% for, and he’d been the one we should have hired after SAF in my mind. Even given how things ended up I still think that would have been the right move as he was the only one who could take the pressure without being phased. I also think it could have worked better for him if he’d joined us straight from Madrid but who knows.

At the end it was clear he had to go.

Ole wouldn’t have been my choice for caretaker as I didn’t think he was up to it. The run of results he went on was very impressive but I did think at the time there was a large element of “Jose has gone” bounce about the way the team lifted and I was dubious as to how long it could continue. I think I made a thread about this at the time which didn’t go down well.

Giving him the permanent job when we did was beyond idiotic, had no advantage to it and just backed us into a corner once things inevitably went tits up again.

Had he ended the season as caretaker with the exact same results I doubt many people would have been advocating giving him the job full time at that point and we could have spent that time carrying out a proper recruitment process on a new manager with an actual plan.

I have no idea who should be the next manager though I must say. Ole shouldn’t be here best season though, I do know that.

Maccataq

Based on my initial reactions...

Moyes - wanted him to do well but deep down could never see us succeeding under him.
LVG - initially I was fuming when we were linked with on the basis of his age. After the World Cup I was pretty excited to be honest.
Mourinho - never really wanted him but at the time it was a relief to the LVG era (even if I liked some of what he did). Thought he would win us a league title but only last a few years - I was half right!
Ole - was happy about his caretaker appointment and hoped it would be Pochettino appointed at the end of the season. I was of the opinion he should get the permanent job based on how well he had done but like many, I had let emotions get the better of me.

OleBoiii

I never liked Mourinho, but I thought the tables were gonna turn when we got him, Pogba and Zlatan in the same window. Boy was I wrong.

But honestly, I don't think our managers have been the biggest issue post Fergie. I tend to be on the positive side, but since Fergie left I've never looked at our squad in august and thought "this is a potential title winner". And that has pretty much everything to do with our poor transfer windows. Until we can fix this, I don't see us bouncing back to former glory.

lex talionis

I was outraged by the appointment of Moyes. No record of achievement to his name and his brand of football was beneath United.

I thought LVG was an odd choice but was cautiously optimistic that he would bring order to chaos that had fallen on the club. He did bring order, but his "philosophy" was hideous.

As four Mourinho, I was worried that he was doomed to fail. And, despite a few trophies, he did.

I felt Ole was the right choice as caretaker. When we look back after his sacking in May we'll look back at his time as a caretaker with a bit of sadness.

ExoduS

Something more than just a coach/manager was lost when Ferguson left. He had weight in the club that far exceeds just being a manager. He had that winning aura and everyone respected, feared him or both.
I think Moyes just didn't have it. What we should have done is get a proven manager at big clubs. Someone who knows to manage big egos/stars. Moyes lost respect of all the players so freaking fast. Another strategy should have been to get assistant coach under Ferguson who would be elevated to the manager when Ferguson retired.

I had some sort of indifferent opinion of LvG. I was not dissapointed as I didn't expect much.

As far as Mourinho goes, I was against it from the very start. He is just a t*at and totally not Man Utd character. Wrong hire, terrible. What you doing coaching us after coaching Chelsea twice. Then that shameful comment after elimination against Seville . Wtf... I hate that guy.

Ole... I will give him this season to sharpen his toolset and will judge him next season.

hobbers

Pretty close to getting them all right, the one blemish being that I was sure we'd win a league title under Mourinho. But I still thought his appointment would be a short one, essentially that we'd have won the "2nd place trophy" season and then it would have gone south and the fallout would have been similar, if taking slightly longer to unravel.

Moyes was obviously going to be a disaster from day 0, same with Ole. It really isn't rocket science to see those catastrophes coming.

With LVG I was quite sceptical given his age, tactical stubbornness and that he'd just been managing international football, which is a massively different ask to competing in the Premier League. But the signings that first summer gave a real shot of optimism. Ultimately though he did prove too old and stubborn to adapt.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I've been trying to find my quotes on Moyes at the time, but I'm struggling to find any of my 'content' pre-2015.