Which posters have gotten it right all along?

Cliche Guevara

Was gutted we appointed Moyes. I wanted Jose

Thought LVG would win us at least one league title.

Thought Jose was the one to win plenty.

Was happy with Ole to be caretaker. Thought it was odd to give him the job before thre end of the season. I'm currently of the view that Ole can still be the man, but he has to be given at least two players in January.
Got as far as this and agree with every word.

Mainoldo

Moyes- Wanted Mourinho and was done with him after Newcastle.

LVG- Loved the idea of our style finally changing didn’t know the football would have been so boring and was done with him by Stoke away.

Mourinho - knew he’d eventually go Jose but hoped he would have brought us a title. Was done with him after Seville

Ole - Liked the idea but knew he was over his head after seeing 4 men in a circle deciding in game management and Everton away really felt it was him and not just the players. Turned out to be right.

Chairman Steve

I never warmed to Moyes and had a feeling he wouldn’t be good for us. I didnt realise that bad, I was somewhat expecting the old Arsenal of just about sneaking 4th except we’re playing awful football compared to Wengers teams.

I thought LVG could have take us close to the title and thought the signings he made were great at the time.

I thought Jose would be the guy to win the league for us and I had a feeling he’d have us winning the Europa League in his first season. I was also sceptical about how it would end in the third season but also thought he’d learn to curve it now that he’s at a place where there’s no meddling DoF around.

OGS... I was sceptical over due to his background and I believe in one of the threads asking what it would take to hire him permanently I said 75%-80% win rate by the end of the season, thinking it’d be impossible and looking at other names... and by god the son of a bitch was nailing it and when that PSG away win came... my jaw dropped to the floor, but once I gathered my thoughts, I thought we can hire him BUT if we get a DoF in who can do work concurrently and if OGS doesnt work out long-term, then we don’t have to reinvent the wheel again.

I can’t see OGS being here past the end of the season... He needs to go on a repeat of what happened last year, play much better football, get 4th or win the Europa League. If he really dips between now and May he’ll go sooner... although who the feck knows with this board. Hopefully they’re more proactive about it. Leicester ditched Puel with no fecks given... they weren’t in danger of relegation or anything. They just decided “feck it, let’s get Rodgers in now, make an offer so good he can miss out on a treble treble with Celtic, assess our squad, give him money and see where it takes us”

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I thought Moyes was a horrible appointment, but it went worse than I expected.

I was excited for LVG.

With Mourinho I was sceptical, but he had a history of winning a title with every team he managed.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Giving a team of champions to a man who'd never won anything (Moyes) was downright stupid. He never had their respect from the off.

Poch would be my choice for next manager and even though he hasn't won anything either.....he's not taking over a group of players who are used to winning titles is he?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Was gutted we appointed Moyes. I wanted Jose

Thought LVG would win us at least one league title.

Thought Jose was the one to win plenty.

Was happy with Ole to be caretaker. Thought it was odd to give him the job before thre end of the season. I'm currently of the view that Ole can still be the man, but he has to be given at least two players in January.
^ This. Although I did think maybe Fergie knew something about Moyes that I didn't. I was proven very wrong on that one, couldn't stand that ballbag in the end.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Moyes I hoped would work. Had to give up on that probably slightly later than most people but still fairly early on. There were so many awful games I can't pinpoint exactly what one it was where I thought "yep, this isn't going to get better"

LVG I called on his blatant contradictory bullshit after about 2 weeks. When someone keeps going on about their amazing plan, but can't even remember what they said that plan was from one week to the next, it means there isn't one.

Mourinho I think most people predicted correctly. The "third season syndrome" was being brought up on here even when he was first appointed.

Ole again I think most people just said he lacks experience so it's impossible to be more than hopeful.

The general mood on here used to change completely based on the last result. Now it just stays in a constant spiteful negative regardless of pretty much anything. Based entirely on who isn't our manager instead of who is. I don't think anyone can call "I told you so" on Ole if he ends up getting the boot somewhere down the line. It'd be a bit like whacking an iphone repeatedly with a hammer then saying "I told you these things break easily" when it finally smashes apart.

Teja

Moyes - Was less than excited, but thought Ferguson blessed his appointment that the time, so I was cautiously optimistic. Turned out to be a disaster, lost my patience pretty quickly.

LvG - Was excited by the appointment - thought it meant a change in style of play, we haven't had good posession based football even in Fergie's final years. We were finally more modern, we just needed to line up Pep to take over afterwards and we'd be set. Turned out he was the anti-thesis of how we're used to playing football, so lot of players struggled. Lost some good players like Di Maria because of his tactics.

Jose - Necessary appointment after LvG. Not a fan, but thought he was the right man at the right time. Stabilize, get us back to winning something and get sacked in 3 years. Went as well as I expected it to go.

Ole - Felt we should've waited till the end of the season before appointing him, but happy he got the job. Still backing him (atleast till the end of the season) even though he has some flaws. If he maintains the status quo (4th / 5th in the league), I'm willing to back him for another season because I see a lot of young players coming in and improving under him. Our transfer policy also is a lot more sensible these days, so one more summer, 2-3x more players in and let him have a proper crack at breaking into CL spots with a squad he built.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Posted this is 2014 in The Who would you want as United next manager thread. If I was at the board of United, we would have won the champions league by now. Pochettino at United rather than Spurs in the last five years would have given us one of the best United teams in history and Spurs would have most likely been relegated or competing with Everton for the most overrated, dysfunctional team.
Not only that but LVG would have been managing them.

Walters_19_MuFc

I actually wanted Moyes before Sir Alex's recommendation, and thought he'd do a fantastic job. Can't remember how I felt about LVG and said Jose was finished, having flopped with Chelsea the season before coming to us.

Didn't want Ole as interim. However, having done as good as he did, it was a no brainer. Hopefully, with another window, he can really stamp his philosophy on the team. We know he wants to play with direct quick wingers, but we lack the midfielders to continuously keep feeding them, play at a high tempo and peg teams back like we used to do under Sir Alex. Two creative additions in our starting midfield will make a major difference.

In Ole we trust!

L1nk

Moyes - Wanted Klopp first and foremost, have never and will never understand why this man was hired, he never showed anything in his career that warranted him getting the job and I was devastated when we did, knew where it was going from Day 1.

LVG - Uninspired but hopeful, I thought he was well passed his best but that he might be able to instill some good football, liked some of his signings, huge fan of Schweinsteiger, shame about the one we got. Honestly looking back I might have given him another year after the FA Cup, for lack of better alternatives at the time.

Mourinho, Didn't like it, the time to hire him, if we were ever going to, was after Fergie retired. I felt like he has never been the same since his stint at Madrid, we didn't do half bad in his first season but all the typical signs were there. Without doubt one of the best managers the game has ever seen, but I've always felt like he's had his day and football has moved on from humans his brand of football.

Solksjaer - Don't get it, never have. It's an experiment on a desperate ploy to claw back any link to the 'good old days'. Fair enough as caretaker and he did really well at first, though I think it's proven now that was on the breath of fresh air he provided after Jose left, absolutely amateur of the board to give him the contract when they did, they should have waited till the end of the season and we'd be avoiding all of this mess. Less credentials than Moyes and arguably less coaching ability, love the man, but he isn't good enough, the fact is if he wasn't an ex player he would be nowhere near in contention to manage Manchester United.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Was not happy with the Moyes appointment. Did not think he was the right man or that he had shown enough to deserve to take over from SAF. Thought it was strange to appoint someone who hadn't won a thing to steer the most succesful club in England. Recognized that it was at the behest of SAF and hoped that the boss was correct.

Was more unhappy with the LVG appointment. Seemed like most people that were happy were either just optimistic because of the name or because he subbed a goalkeeper before a penalty shootout at the WC. His legacy from Barcelona and Bayern did not sound great. He still represents to me the worst period post-SAF because it lasted longer than Moyes and also he put us into a worse position squad-wise. His football was also the most boring to watch but I do believe this season comes close.

Mourinho, I was optimistic because at least we had a manager that always won titles and that he did but we weren't close to the big two so they were mostly just a patch of hope. Perhaps down the line when we haven't won a trophy in years this will sound more entitled. Definitely the best of the lot but he got too negative outwards. His tenure did manage to highlight the biggest problem we have, namely the board. Money men with no football experience that just don't get football and despite all their experience seemingly aren't that good with money either if we look at their transfer and wage deals.

Ole, wilfully chose to see the glass half full despite knowing that his experience, abilities and squad at disposal would not see him challenge for any meaningful trophies for a while. There's some good qualities in him that the others have not, namely his general attitude. Moyes and Mourinho were not a good look in the press, LvG was not a good fit for many of the players but Ole at least has good relationship with both. His squad is awful so I basically expect nothing. I don't feel the same resentment towards him as the other managers but that's more because I don't expect anything of this squad. I'm sadly apathetic these days when a game isn't on.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Well after Sir Alex i'd have been happy with Giggs and I think he would have got more out of that squad. We still had good experience, we'd just won the league and I think it might not have lasted (you never know) but I think he'd have had a fair chance to build something because the mentality/the group was relatively stable. Moyes I've no real idea. I'd have preferred Giggs. LVG I would have expected more so been wrong. A lot more. Jose started well but many talked about the third season well before...the third season and it happened but I never felt it would get so bad. The ole one is similar to what we might have had with Giggs - only the HEART AND SOUL...has been ripped out the squad. I think when people are fair and objective, it ain't rocket science to know why we're inconsistent. But (and i'm NOT comparing the two), many 'supporters' would have sacked Sir Alex in his first 3 years....

Njord

I was certain Moyes would be a disaster. Didn't understand the appointment then, and I don't understand it now.

LVG I knew little about, but I was extremely hopeful after his first pre season. We played some fantastic football on that tour.

I have never been a Mourinho fan, and I never felt he suited the club. Went about the way I expected. Just glad he didn't get to buy more Matic's and Sanchez's like Bale, Boateng etc. who we were linked with.

I was sceptical of Ole, and felt he had everything to prove. I've been impressed with how he had set us up in a lot of the big matches, and if he gets a few more creative signings right to break down the smaller teams, I think he can stay here for a long time, winning a lot of trophies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Knew Moyes was a shit idea but figured they must know more than me and wanted to 'get behind the new manager' so wasn't too vocal about it.
Didn't have much to say about LVG.
I thought Jose might change his ways for us, but it was wishful thinking.
Was obvious Ole shouldn't have been given a permanent contract when he got it.

Paul_Scholes18

So.. Which posters? :D

Actually,
"Which posters have gotten it right all along at not gotten it right all along?"
What do people count as right? Knowing the exact dates when all our managers would get the sack? Know how many titles they would win? How popular they would be on CAF?

MrSingh2002

I knew Moyes would fail and was pining for Klopp, Jose or Pep at the time.

I liked the LVG appointment and appreciated his attempted overhaul of a squad. His playing style at times was exciting but the slow build up was painful overall. Disappointed he was sacked the way he was but for Jose it made sense.

Jose was the right man for the job after SAF and also the right man after LVG. In my opinion it was Woodward not backing him by signing Maguire or Perisic that meant Jose no longer wanted to be at United and this led to a poor 3rd season. I still feel if we'd signed Maguire and Perisic that summer we would have consolidated on the 2nd place finish and finished easily top 4 that season under Jose.

The Ole Permanent appointment was comical. We've been left with another Moyes learning on the job how to steer such a huge vessel.

2 appointments out of 4 have been correct. LVG and Jose. But they didn't back the special one and he burnt our house down as he would.

LVG was the only one that was fully backed. If only it had been Jose after SAF or a backed Jose in that 3rd season after finishing 2nd. Well never know what might have been.

Rafaeldagold

Me.
Was right that Ole will never be good enough & that VAR is an awful introduction to the game

ColvaleGoa

I thought Mourinho and United were a match made in heaven. I thought we were going to get mini SAF era with Mourinho being here long time. ( As soon as he decided not to move out of the Lowry, I had a sneaky feeling I was going to be massively disappointed)

Paul_Scholes18

Me.
Was right that Ole will never be good enough & that VAR is an awful introduction to the game
Some guys said Liverpool would struggle more with VAR since they would not let them get away with silly things as much.
That must be the most wrong someone has ever been about anything in this universe.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I knew Moyes would fail miserably and wanted Mourinho.
LVG, I was excited tbh. Possession football and we made some decent signings (or so I thought).
I was happy we eventually got Mourinho and felt like we were heading somewhere after the EL win.
Never wanted Ole to become permanent and thought we should have gone for Poch. I'm willing to wait until the end of the season but I don't see it.

All along I've had one thought though, Woodward and co are clueless and we are a very badly run club.

manutddjw

Called it with Moyes. Was completely wrong about LvG and Mourinho. Ole I had hope for but I knew he was nowhere near good enough but I kept trying to stay positive because I wanted him to do well so bad and I still do.

I would like to point out that I was constantly saying Lingard was terrible, but was always shut down with the “he’s a good squad player” and “fights for the shirt” nonsense. I honestly can’t believe it’s taken this long for people to see it.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Thought Moyes was crap from minute he was announced. I liked LVG and I think he was our best so far because he made crap players look good. Yes football was boring as feck, but so would Pep football if he didn’t have the fullbacks and genius midfielders.

Mourinho I got wrong. I thought United was the club that was made for him to prove his doubters wrong and also build a legacy. The perfect club. A club that has the ambitions and wealth of Real Madrid but the patience to allow managers time to develop a style of play, develop players and youth etc and not sack people for finishing 2nd or 4th in first season.
But beginning of his last season I said give it two months and we’ll see it he’ll collapse or get though the struggle.

Ole I think is a weak and pathetic excuse of a manager. Legend of a player. But will regress more than anyone by the time he’s finally sacked.

manc4red

I trusted SAF so was ok when we appointed Moyes.

However when Moyes fired the whole backroom staff of winners and appointed a whole new staff of never won, I was afraid.

I did not like LVG’s appointment. I thought we needed someone that was much stronger than he.

When Jose came, I was sure he would be successful. He wanted to be here and he had the pedigree to win over the egos. However, it became apparent that while he was battling the divas in the lockerroom, our management did not fully support Jose. So it became a slow death for Jose. He became more bitter and results slumped.

Im ok with Ole because he knows what it is like to be Utd. Also, alot of the SAF players (ones with a million medals) have now been shipped out. He definitely needs to be backed and supported. However a win vs City tomorrow will be just swell

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
With Ole and Moyes it's been very apparent they are out of their depth but overall it seems your board is doing everything they can to make managers fail.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
What do people count as right? Knowing the exact dates when all our managers would get the sack? Know how many titles they would win? How popular they would be on CAF?
Nothing too specific. Just being right in the sense that the manager was not going to be a success — winning league/CL, consistently competing for top places in table with good football. Mourinho was probably the closest in terms of results but the tumescent football + the meltdown in the third season makes him another bust. The other two, need not explain.

edit: better and simpler summary would be that being right about whether or not the manager lived up to his expectations. Moyes - expected to compete top 4. LVG - successfully implement possession based attacking football and winning a title. Mourinho - bringing us back to being top dogs.I’d say those were the general expectations from my memory.

Member 113277

I thought LVG was better than most did and I still think with more time he would have got us on the right track.
Van Gaal was not a disaster, he cleared out come players who needed to go, was unlucky with Di Maria (cnut) and won the FA Cup. We will never know where we would have gone if he had been given another couple of seasons, unlike Mourinho's reign.

I was surprised by the appointment of Moyes, as he didn't have a track record of managing a very large club, pleased with Van Gaal's and unhappy about Jose's.

Revaulx

Being generally supportive of a new manager isn't the same as genuinely believing in them, never mind being 100% convinced they'll be successful.

To some the former is just default behaviour - as in, you don't bring the pitchfork out before five minutes have passed. To others there's no point in showing any restraint if you think (or even suspect) the guy isn't right for the job. I definitely belong in the first category - which means that I can't claim to have been "right" about a single one of 'em. I can't say that bothers me very much, though.
I’m afraid my pitchfork came out for Moyes the moment I set eyes on that “Chosen One” banner.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The general mood on here used to change completely based on the last result. Now it just stays in a constant spiteful negative regardless of pretty much anything. Based entirely on who isn't our manager instead of who is. I don't think anyone can call "I told you so" on Ole if he ends up getting the boot somewhere down the line. It'd be a bit like whacking an iphone repeatedly with a hammer then saying "I told you these things break easily" when it finally smashes apart.
Exactly this, but there will certainly be a stream of 'I told you so's' if it comes to a sacking. Its far easier to justify an imaginary reality being the most favourable one for the club.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hated that we signed Moyes but decided to be optimistic but it was clear in pre season he was out of his depth.

LVG I thought we would win the league after 3 seasons.

Jose thought he would be a success. Second season especially I thought we would win the league

Ole I’m indifferent currently. And have been since his signing

fallengt

Never wanted Moyes. Always said Fergie should've picked Klopp or Pep as his successor.

A part of me wanted to believe SAF though, a great man could do no wrong but turnt out his retirement plan was extremely poor. Moyeses and Woody were recipe for a giant failure.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Van Gaal was not a disaster, he cleared out come players who needed to go, was unlucky with Di Maria (cnut) and won the FA Cup. We will never know where we would have gone if he had been given another couple of seasons, unlike Mourinho's reign.

I was surprised by the appointment of Moyes, as he didn't have a track record of managing a very large club, pleased with Van Gaal's and unhappy about Jose's.
Been saying this all along. The funny thing is that this thread made me do some key searches and its crazy how the agenda from the media and pundits started pretty much 5 matches into the reign.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I was right about Moyes.
When I first heard his name mentioned with United a few years before SAF retired, I absolutely ripped the piss out of the bloke that suggested it, because it seemed like the most ridiculous theory imaginable.
FFS..!!! :rolleyes:

Hoof the ball

Depends on what you qualify as "gotten it right". I don't like making unequivocal statements about successful trophy hauls since there's just so many variables contributing such as injuries, periods of transition, inherited squad balance, etc. In terms of minor predictions, I made the following :-

- Moyes would be a solid appointment, if not tactically unspectacular. Performance wise it pretty much ended up looking as I imagined it would on the field; results wise, far worse.

- I believed that LvG wouldn't have immediate success since I saw his appointment as the clubs intention to restructure the footballing culture within the club to something more continental and ball-retentive; I also thought that he would overhaul the youth setup and scouting department. In fairness, he did begin these things and get the ball rolling. His premature end and clubs decision to appoint a manager with and absolutely contrasting style was a major factor in that not coming to pass. LvG was seen as a foundation builder. You appoint him, he sets the footballing approach and then you appoint subsequent managers familiar with that approach.

- Mourinho was the most confusing of them all. Not knowing whether we was going to get Mourinho and his defensive style, or a Mourinho willing to engage the clubs attacking identity and working on harmonising with that. I thought we'd win a Premier League under him, however, since he did it was a fairly non-spectacular Chelsea side. Hey ho.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I got it all right but I was too afraid to say it in a Manchester United Forum, so I don't have the proof.

*I remember being very happy when LvG was doing very well in World Cup 2014. ;)