Which Premier League team had the best transfer window?

Red Star One

With the transfer window now closed, who do you think did the best business this summer? Arsenal bringing in Pepe, Ceballos, Tierney? Spurs with Ndombele and Lo Celso? I'm torn between these two clubs, probably Arsenal slightly ahead.

Mods, maybe we could have a poll for that? With United also as an option of course :lol:

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
With the transfer window now closed, who do you think did the best business this summer? Arsenal bringing in Pepe, Ceballos, Tierney? Spurs with Ndombele and Lo Celso? I'm torn between these two clubs, probably Arsenal slightly ahead.

Maybe we could have a poll for that? With United also as an option of course :lol:
Spurs would get my pick as they got Sessegnon as well. Strong window from Arsenal mind.

pablotatt

United. Strengthened in 2 positions where we severely lacked with the best available players on the market who understand the ethos of the club and seem to mix well with the current squad. Proven quality instead of players people only know through FIFA.

fps

Spurs - quality players that fit their profile, they now have enormous strength in depth in midfield for their pressing game.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
United...we bought two first team defenders that were desparately needed as well as a young up and comer who will have his fair share of first team games. We also sold Lukaku. Just wish we could have done it sooner as well as selling Rojo and Darmien, but there is still time to sell them outside of the EPL...

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Everton have done really well. Kean's going to be really big for them.

Revan

Assumptionman
Spurs have done pretty well, City also added smart, Arsenal and United improved some weaknesses but not enough. Liverpool should have done more if they were planning to win the league.

Ralph1386

I would say Spurs. We were one or two good signings away from having had a better window than our rivals.

Also need to take into account the first teamers that left and were not replaced.

MrSingh2002

Arsenal - Good buys and got rid of lots of deadwood
Everton - Good buys and got rid of lots of deadwood
Tottenham - Good buys

Best 3 windows by a long way.

We were two midfielders and a number 9 impact sub away from challenging for best signings.

We were awful and probably the worst in the league for getting rid of deadwood.

mu4c_20le

Spurs, Arsenal, United, in any order. Its been an underwhelming window, with the top 2 not doing anything and Chelsea transfer banned.

Lee565

Probably between arsenal and spurs

Celso and ndomble could be real game changers for them and moving on trippier whilst bringing in sessegnon is good move when you have manager like potchettino developing sessesgnon.

Arsenal have made good improvements at left back, central defence and in attack, plus replaced Ramsey with cabellos which may be seen as an improvement considering Ramsey tended spend about half of the season on the sidelines, also getting close to 40 million for Iwobi ain't bad business, when you think they only just missed out on a top 4 spot and their main competitors in United and Chelsea are going into to next season with with weakened sides and inexperienced managers and Emery has had a season to settle in already I think they will comfortably get 4th spot next season.

I think man city are worth a mention, they brought back angelino on the cheap to replace an ageing delph, they brought in one of the best defensive midfielders in the world in rodri at a good price and replaced Danilo for Cancelo for decent deal and a player that will fit well with Guardiola's way of wanting to play, so overall they have strengthened their squad further with the odd exception of not replacing kompany?

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Easily Arsenal. Ceballos looks mint and they signed Tierny and Luiz to strengthen their defense. One of the best right attacker in football last season according to who scored in Pepe and one of the best youth center backs out there. Plus Martinelli as well.

Spurs wasn’t bad either. They kept their key players and also added some good players in N’dombele and lo Celso.

beingshe7don

I think Spurs have hands down done the best piece of business. They've strengthened by getting Ndombele and Lo Celso in midfield. They've added Sessegnon who was a shrewd purchase and will end up being a huge bargain for the future. I think his purchase is almost equivalent to the Dan James signing. Harry Kane and Son are terrific forwards..... I think they've done well.

Arsenal have managed to resurrect their window with Pepe, Tierney and David Luiz without losing any key players. So they've done well.

United have done well to improve the defense but our midfield is worse from last season with losing Herrera and striking department, we lost Lukaku. So we are down over there as well. It was a break-even window for us.... Almost as good as not doing any business.

Chelsea despite the ban were able to do deals with Pulisic and Kovacic being made permanent and the zillion players that they had out on loan will come in with more experience. However, losing Hazard may be too crucial for them to tie up top 4.

City and Liverpool still light years ahead of us.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
it must be Man City to me. They identified the areas they need to improve and the players they need to bring in. All the deals are done smoothly.

snowkarl

Quite clearly our window was far from the top clubs in every aspect, from selling unwanted and surplus-to-requirement players to acquiring targets for key positions like RW, CM and maybe also a versatile attacking midfielder/forward. Arsenal and City meanwhile got players (top players as well) for every position they wanted and didn't even spend that much money.

While we have James at RW (although a good prospect, hasn't even played premier league football or even top tier football yet), zero backup at striker aside from u21 players and obviously extremely weak central midfield options they have signed players like Rodri, Ceballos, Pepe on top of players they needed like Angelinho, Cancelo, Saliba/Luiz, Tierney among others. Not to mention how much Wolves, Leicester and Everton have improved.

I think we'll be extremely likely to lose a lot of points to teams like Leicester and Wolves especially, because their midfields are honestly much stronger and well rounded than ours right now, which is honestly unbelievable to me.

Would you really say Pogba-McTominay-Fred or Mata as 10 with Pogba/McT or Matic behind him is stronger than midfields like Wolves (Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Saiss) or Leicester's (Praet, Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison, Silva)? They have very energetic and strong midfields and I think we'll struggle to win the midfield battle in most games sadly, which will put even more pressure on Rashford/Martial to score goals on the counter, which seems we're betting the mortgage on.

What's problematic is that if teams just sit back against us to prevent us from countering (which is what will obv happen if we keep playing that card) we have to be able to dominate the midfield but there is just no way we do that with the oil tankers and complete lack of athleticism we have in midfield right now.

Hope Pogba can play out of his skin with McTominay and Jesse because we are going to need it to make top 4 this year - and we might as well scrap the EL from the get go since we have zero depth in midfield/up front and can't compete on multiple front.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You don’t actually believe that do you?

I mean honest to God, hand on heart, scouts honour believe we had the best transfer window?
We addressed the two biggest concerns on our field in signing AWB and Maguire as well as signing a promising your winger with the right attitude at a low cost fee. Who did better than us? Arsenal stregthened their attack but still have Mustafi starting in central defense. Chelsea did nothing notable. Either did City. Liverpool did nothing. Everton signed a bunch of players other clubs didn't want. The only club who can possibly be debated as having a better transfer window is Tottenham, but they also signed players who haven't played in the league yet, and a guy who failed to impress when he did...

Gandalf

Tough to judge until the continental windows close as some of the clubs who did well could still lose a player or two. Spurs had a great window so far but if they lose Eriksen then that would cancel out the gains of Lo Celso pretty much. I think City had the best window I hate to say, two absolutely top class signings and they don't even need them yet because they didn't lose anyone of note.

snowkarl

We addressed the two biggest concerns on our field in signing AWB and Maguire as well as signing a promising your winger with the right attitude at a low cost fee. Who did better than us? Arsenal stregthened their attack but still have Mustafi starting in central defense. Chelsea did nothing notable. Either did City. Liverpool did nothing. Everton signed a bunch of players other clubs didn't want. The only club who can possibly be debated as having a better transfer window is Tottenham, but they also signed players who haven't played in the league yet, and a guy who failed to impress when he did...
Arsenal signed Tierney, Saliba and David Luiz.

They probably had the best transfer window this year, but Everton/City/Spurs are way ahead of us too.

We did not manage to sell any of our deadwood, we sold our most productive striker without a replacement, let Herrera go without a replacement and although we signed two very good defenders it is nowhere near enough if we are relying on a 21 year old Championship winger to produce 20 assists in his first year in the top tier.

It wasn't a total disaster because AWB and Maguire are great potential keystones in defence for years to come, but it was far from the great success Arsenal especially had.

Right now we don't have a single forward who would start for City, Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool. Imagine and ponder that for a minute. 5 years ago saying that would be totally unbelievable and you'd get laughed at - but it is now reality.

AlwaysRed66

Man City. Kept all their main players except the injury prone & aging Kompany, & their younger players will have matured. Add to the fact that they don't have to await their team gelling as they are similar to last season. That used to be us in a distant past.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Arsenal signed Tierney, Saliba and David Luiz.

They probably had the best transfer window this year, but Everton/City/Spurs are way ahead of us too.

We did not manage to sell any of our deadwood, we sold our most productive striker without a replacement, let Herrera go without a replacement and although we signed two very good defenders it is nowhere near enough if we are relying on a 21 year old Championship winger to produce 20 assists in his first year in the top tier.

It wasn't a total disaster because AWB and Maguire are great potential keystones in defence for years to come, but it was far from the great success Arsenal especially had.

Right now we don't have a single forward who would start for City, Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool. Imagine and ponder that for a minute. 5 years ago saying that would be totally unbelievable and you'd get laughed at - but it is now reality.
Funny thing is, I'm on an Arsenal forum too and most of the guys there are crying about how bad their transfer window has been because they didn't sign a decent centre half and that includes side show Bob (thought they like the signing of Pepe and Tierney, but again, neither is EPL proven). And City had a better window than us? No you are really having a laugh. They signed one player FFS. As for our players, I love how our own supporters love to underrate them. I have no issues with our attack. They are young and hungry. As for Lukaku's replacement, we already have him with Greenwood. And Everton? Are you really going to tell me that Everton had a better window? They may have signed a few players, but who did they sign of real quality?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The biggest concern was RW and RB though. Plus creativity, being able to pass quickly, and making runs...just scoring goals really. We've not addressed that very well unless James is a world beater from the off.

snowkarl

Funny thing is, I'm on an Arsenal forum too and most of the guys there are crying about how bad their transfer window has been because they didn't sign a decent centre half and that includes side show Bob (thought they like the signing of Pepe and Tierney, but again, neither is EPL proven). And City had a better window than us? No you are really having a laugh. They signed one player FFS. As for our players, I love how our own supporters love to underrate them. I have no issues with our attack. They are young and hungry. As for Lukaku's replacement, we already have him with Greenwood. And Everton? Are you really going to tell me that Everton had a better window? They may have signed a few players, but who did they sign of real quality?
City signed Joao Cancelo, Rodri, Angelino for the first team (all superb players) and some youngsters. They got all their targets. Perfect window for them.

Do you really believe that, comparatively and relatively in the PL, we are in a better position to finish 4th today than we were with the squad we finished the season with? Because we are pretty objectively weaker in both attack and midfield.

Everton signed Iwobi (easily better than James currently), Gomes (better than Fred&Pereira last year for sure), Gbamin who we could definitely have used as holding mid, Sidibe. Although not all of them are better than what we have, calling them sub par players is delusional imo. Obviously our squad is still stronger, but theirs improved greatly in this window.

TheReligion

Abusive
Arsenal - Good buys and got rid of lots of deadwood
Everton - Good buys and got rid of lots of deadwood
Tottenham - Good buys

Best 3 windows by a long way.

We were two midfielders and a number 9 impact sub away from challenging for best signings.

We were awful and probably the worst in the league for getting rid of deadwood.
Lukaku, Felaini, Herrera, Valencia moved on isn't bad. I think Rojo and Darmian will move too.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The biggest concern was RW and RB though. Plus creativity, being able to pass quickly, and making runs...just scoring goals really. We've not addressed that very well unless James is a world beater from the off.
Quality defense will help our offense concentrate more on their main job. Scoring goals...

SAFMUTD

1) Spurs - Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon while managing to keep all their starting XI, except Trippier, specially Alderweireld and Erikseen (until today).
2) City - Rodri, Cancelo, Angeliño plus kept all their starting XI
3) Arsenal - Pepe, Tierney, Luiz, Ceballos. Only lost Koscienly from their XI, but replaced with Luiz who is way better.
4) Liverpool - some youngster, kept all their starting XI.
5) Man Utd - AWB, Maguire, James. Lost 2 starters in Lukaku and Herrera.
6) Chelsea - Pulisic, lost Hazard and Luiz.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
City signed Joao Cancelo, Rodri, Angelino for the first team (all superb players) and some youngsters. They got all their targets. Perfect window for them.

Do you really believe that, comparatively and relatively in the PL, we are in a better position to finish 4th today than we were with the squad we finished the season with? Because we are pretty objectively weaker in both attack and midfield.

Everton signed Iwobi (easily better than James currently), Gomes (better than Fred&Pereira last year for sure), Gbamin who we could definitely have used as holding mid, Sidibe. Although not all of them are better than what we have, calling them sub par players is delusional imo. Obviously our squad is still stronger, but theirs improved greatly in this window.
I think you are massively underrating our players. And you are going to try and tell me we are weaking than last year? Wow...