Which Premier League team had the best transfer window?

Varun

Staff
How the feck can it be arsenal with their joke of a defence?

City are up there for me. Spurs with them if they can keep Eriksen.

Lee565

Funny thing is, I'm on an Arsenal forum too and most of the guys there are crying about how bad their transfer window has been because they didn't sign a decent centre half and that includes side show Bob (thought they like the signing of Pepe and Tierney, but again, neither is EPL proven). And City had a better window than us? No you are really having a laugh. They signed one player FFS. As for our players, I love how our own supporters love to underrate them. I have no issues with our attack. They are young and hungry. As for Lukaku's replacement, we already have him with Greenwood. And Everton? Are you really going to tell me that Everton had a better window? They may have signed a few players, but who did they sign of real quality?
They signed 3 players, rodri will probably be first choice over fernandinho, cancelo to replace Danilo who will be real competition for Kyle Walker and young promising left back angelino who has replaced an ageing and make shift left back in delph. They have basically added even more strength in depth to their team, it's not like they needed major improvement on their first 11 based on last season's performance.

Red Star One

How the feck can it be arsenal with their joke of a defence?

City are up there for me. Spurs with them if they can keep Eriksen.
I think Pepe will come really good for them and Tierney can prove to be a bargain. Any chance for a poll? Interesting what majority of Cafe things

Womp

idiot
I'd say City imo. Didn't do much business but Cancelo improves a team that if really can't be improved all that much anymore. (At least for what Pep is going for)

snowkarl

I think you are massively underrating our players. And you are going to try and tell me we are weaking than last year? Wow...
We lost, in the past 6 months;
- Fellaini
- Herrera
- Lukaku
- Valencia

Replaced by:
- James
- Maguire
- Aaron WB

We are stronger defensively but considering Matic (and Mata!) has only gotten older since last year and we now have zero depth at striker and central midfield while only strengthening our defence - while all our rivals have massively improved. Standing still is going backwards and even if we'd brought in Longstaff and Mandzukic we'd have barely improved on last years' squad our rivals have improved much more which means our squad is weaker relative to our opposition.

How can anyone look at our striking and midfield options and say "yeah that looks like it's better than Sane-Salah-Firmino/Auba-Lacazette-Pepe/Silva-Aguero-Mahrez (etc)" is beyond me. We need a right winger AT LEAST, while increasing Rashford and Martial's output twofold in order to even equal them in production.

MrSingh2002

Lukaku, Felaini, Herrera, Valencia moved on isn't bad. I think Rojo and Darmian will move too.
I wouldn't call Lukaku (1 goal in 2 games career record including international), Fellaini or Herrera deadwood though.

Valencia and Darmian fit the bill for sure.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
An honourable mention to Villa, bought 8 players for £107m and a further 4 for undisclosed. They've clearly thrown everything they've got at it, and if it doesn't work then as a club they'll have gone down fighting.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Spurs and Arsenal had the most 'newsworthy' window, but given that City have just won back to back titles and didn't really need much, they have yet again gone out and replaced what they had with much better options, so in terms of what it does for the coming season, they have had a good window. Rodri and Cancelo are both top class players, both young and it's all 'planning for the future'. I'm really happy with our window for the same reason. We are, at last, planning ahead. This will probably take four or even five seasons, but it is the first steps on the road back. My only concern is that the size of the task is so big that our new £80m centre half will be in his thirties by the time we are ready to challenge for the Title again.

The Purley King

On paper has to be Arsenal.
I’m not convinced with Pepe personally but they seem to have plugged the obvious holes.
Luiz was a smart addition too as Saliba will arrive next year.
Managing to get £34m for Iwobi is nothing short of a miracle he’s fecking useless.

Gandalf

On paper has to be Arsenal.
I’m not convinced with Pepe personally but they seem to have plugged the obvious holes.
Luiz was a smart addition too as Saliba will arrive next year.
Managing to get £34m for Iwobi is nothing short of a miracle he’s fecking useless.
Luiz only replaces Koscielny though so they still have a hole in the center of their defence and I am not convinced by the fullbacks. Pepe may be a hit but I think they are going to need to keep the ball in the opposition half for most of every game or that backline will be torn apart.

flappyjay

Arsenal for me considering their budget. It wasn't just about identifying ideal targets but then convincing the clubs to accept small amounts now and the rest in small installments

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Quality defense will help our offense concentrate more on their main job. Scoring goals...
I feel like it's wishful thinking though. There were so many games where we looked alright until the final third, or transitioning though midfield. Admittedly then it'd seem like our defence would feck up once the opposition attacked, so there should be a bit less of that.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
We had a good window, a solid 7.5/10 IMO.

The main negatives were not completely sorting out our CB situation, but with Koscielny leaving I think we did OK given the circumstances. We really needed to sort it out though and I'm entirely unconvinced by Luiz. Never mind Chambers and Mustafi.

I'm also very disappointed we sold Iwobi, but kept Mhki. Clearly we should have sold him instead (though I realise there would be no takers). The only silver lining out of this is that we will hopefully see a lot more of ESR and Nelson.

And whilst I'm excited to see what Ceballos can bring to the side I'm frustrated that it's only a loan deal with no option to buy. Hopefully we can convince him to stay if he has a good season.

Signing Pepe is huge. He's the best wide player to move this window and was a player we desperately needed.

Tierney is a great deal on paper. It was a key area we needed to address and we've signed a top young talent at a very reasonable price (in these times).

Saliba is a top young CB talent who will hopefully improve with constant games this season. Could prove to be a huge bargain if he takes another step in his development this season.

Martinelli is a cheap hit on a potential talent who would have re-sale value.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Very happy with Brighton’s window, we’ve strengthened in all areas without buying stupid numbers of players so the core team stays settled.

MyDevil

United, if only we have signed a midfielder....
But it is Arsenal and Spurs for me.

Trezeguet17

Not sure about which club had the best transfer window. All i can say is that City made the transfer of the window with Rodri. Massive Player

Smores

Anyone saying united is just being a wum at this point. Not sure what kind of sad person like winding their own fans up but there you go.

I'd say Spurs or City. City did exactly what they needed and reinforcing whilst on top is underrated. Arsenal made two very good signings like us whilst strengthening elsewhere and getting rid of some shite.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Of the traditional big clubs (plus City), only Liverpool can be said to have a worse summer than us. Not strengthening while their stock is high seems quite mad.

Then again, their squad is much better than ours, and we've lost first reamers and not replaced them, and still have not gotten rid of our deadwood, so I'd say we have the worst summer window.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Very happy with Brighton’s window, we’ve strengthened in all areas without buying stupid numbers of players so the core team stays settled.
I'm looking forward to seeing Mooy play for you guys.

stepic

Why did City buy a RB (when they have one) as opposed to a LB (Mendy is a crock)?

diarm

Those 5 clubs appear to have had the standout summers.

Arsenal:

- Gabriel Martinelli
- Dani Ceballos
- Nicolás Pepe
- Kieran Tierney
- David Luiz

Tierney and Ceballos are excellent signings. Not sure how well Pepe will do and totally unconvinced that Luiz is the answer to their defensive woes. Koscielny, Iwobi, Lichtsteiner, Ospina, Jenkinson, Cech, Ramsey and Welbeck gone. Will be interesting to see how they get on but I still think we have a better squad than theirs.

Aston Villa:
- Tom Heaton
- Matt Targett
- Ezri Konsa
- Bjorn Engels
- Frédéric Guilbert
- Jota
- Trézéguet
- Douglas Luiz
- Marvelous Nakamba
- Wesley
- Tyrone Mings
- Kortney Hause
- El Ghazi

A lot of players, a lot of money spent. Some are already bedded in at the club which will help but a lot more will have to settle in quickly for them. Heaton at 8mil could well be the signing of the summer.

Everton:
- Jonas Lössl
- Fabian Delph
- Djibril Sidibé
- Jean-Philippe Gbamin
- Alex Iwobi
- Moise Kean

Looks really good. Would have been the winners here had they landed Zaha but even still, they'll be a tricky challenge for us this year.

Tottenham Hotspur:
- Tanguy Ndombélé
- Giovani Lo Celso
- Ryan Sessegnon

A good summer supplementing an already good squad. Feel they may be lacking a bit defensively as their two (rarely injured) CB's get a bit older and in Alderweirelds case, possibly a bit marginalised. Not convinced about their fullbacks either.

West Ham United:
- Roberto
- David Martin
- Gonçalo Cardoso
- Pablo Fornals
- Sébastien Haller
- Albian Ajeti

I don't know enough about some of their signings to say too much, but Haller is a real coup for them and has looked excellent when I've seen him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Relative to where teams were and what they needed, I'd say City.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Relative to where teams were and what they needed, I'd say City.
-World class left back to replace perennially injured Mendy?
-World class centre back to replace Kompany?
-Definitive stick-or-twist on Sane given his contract situation and their impending transfer ban?

He'sRaldo

Hopefully not us. Winning the transfer window is never a good sign, at least historically.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Spurs looks good.

City is now one left back away from having a perfect squad (although Sane is now seriously injured). The lack of a substitution option for Fernandinho was hurting them — now they've signed Rodri and kept Gundogan.

Arsenal did okay.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Isnt Angelino a left back?
Yeah, that's my ignorance talking. Forgot about him. It'll be interesting to see the battle for that left back position. Zinchenko, for all his good performances last year, is not perfectly suited for the role (and Salah had exploited him in the Charity Shield)... Mendy is probably injured again and Delph is sold. It's all in Angelino's hands now.