Which striker should we sign this summer?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
It supposedly comes in to effect 2 or 3 years in to his contract. It would be hilarious if he becomes the best striker in the World and leaves Dortmund for 50-60 mil :lol:
They agreed to it. The entire world knows about it. Barring injuries, he will be one of the best in the world. Where is the hilarity?
The fact that they agreed to such a low clause shows that they did not expect to hold on to him in any case. Having said that, I am sure Dortmund would have wanted the clause to be 150mils ans not 50 mils.
Hopefully when it happens clubs will finally realize the fallacies of dealing with certain agents.

jackal&hyde

They agreed to it. The entire world knows about it. Barring injuries, he will be one of the best in the world. Where is the hilarity?
The fact that they agreed to such a low clause shows that they did not expect to hold on to him in any case. Having said that, I am sure Dortmund would have wanted the clause to be 150mils ans not 50 mils.
Hopefully when it happens clubs will finally realize the fallacies of dealing with certain agents.
We can only hope but for me, the only way to stop this agent nonsens of encouraging players to make as many moves as possible is with a cap on agent fees. UEFA is doing the right thing for one with their proposals.

I'm a fan of Martial and i think we have to get the best out of him and Greenwood has huge potential. Saying this, i would not be opposed if we'd try to make Ighalo permanent should he prove to be a good squad player that can score a few and change the dynamics of a game when needed. Between RW and a possible Pogba replacement and maybe even a DM we have a lot of work to do in the summer.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We can only hope but for me, the only way to stop this agent nonsens of encouraging players to make as many moves as possible is with a cap on agent fees. UEFA is doing the right thing for one with their proposals.

I'm a fan of Martial and i think we have to get the best out of him and Greenwood has huge potential. Saying this, i would not be opposed if we'd try to make Ighalo permanent should he prove to be a good squad player that can score a few and change the dynamics of a game when needed. Between RW and a possible Pogba replacement and maybe even a DM we have a lot of work to do in the summer.
Yes. I think overall Dortmund see this as a loan for a very talented player. Who knows, maybe he will choose to renew his contract with them and then his release clause will be removed or hiked.

If Solskjaer stays I do not see any new striker signing. Summer will be spent chasing Sancho, which will most likely prove to be futile.

If we do recruit a central striker it's has to be someone with experience, preferably in the 26.-28 age bracket. Strong, agile, good first touch and ball retention.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So you'd rather we sign a top CF and play James or Greenwood on the right?
Or you think we can afford to buy everyone we want?
not what I said... we are after a forward it might as well be one who scores goals. Ole isn't picking greenwood, in case you hadn't noticed

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
not what I said... we are after a forward it might as well be one who scores goals. Ole isn't picking greenwood, in case you hadn't noticed
Greenwood is only 18. He will be better and play more when he grows, I assume.

Captain Paris

I try to stay away from transfer talks outside the transfer window but for once I would like to try conclude business before the summer. Do like Bayern with Lucas Hernandez or Dortmund with Haland. Let's try to do our business before August to get players available for preseason.

Anyway I would us to try go for either Kasper Dolberg or Victor Osimhen.

Dolberg is only 22 even it seems like he's been around forever. It would give us a diverse profil over our current options. We could finally have someone to be at the reception of the crosses and someone who would be able to answer the physical challenge of opposing CB. The negative part of his game is mainly is that he may be the only other striker that I could think who runs even less than Martial.

Victor Osihmen is 21 and I believe that he's the real deal. I see a young Fernando Torres, he's that good IMO. He's raw but what I prefer about him is his attitude, he never gives up on a play, he's relentless. However the problem would be the same than Haaland, he would want to be a guaranteed starter if he leaves Lille and I am not sure we can offer him that.

Also they are both playing in Ligue 1 and as we saw with Nicolas Pepe, the step up can be too much for some players. But once again let's not wait for the last minute, let's be proactive.

LuckyScout78

3 months until the season ends. I’d start the enquires now if I were Woodward.

Ighalo is a short term Lukaku void filler who I doubt we’ll make permanent. We still need the long term solution.

I can’t think of anyone obvious. Aubamyang?
If i was United manager and Dof

I will try to buy Federico Chiesa and one of Sancho or Gnabry....Then move Rashford back to United CF and go for a different CF who are both good in the air and on the ground on Mitrovic

And when i buy a CF, i am thinking of a really good and consistence nr.8 that is feeding them with assist passes from the central. Beside Bruno, i want a more creative cm in Kristoffer Olsson

Definitive go for 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1

One of Sancho/Gnabry - Olsson/Bruno - McTom - Chiesa + Bruno/Mitrovic/Greenwood - Rashford/Martial

My point is. I prefer and prior to spend big on a right winer/winger instead of a CF. Why?Because the level of Sancho/Gnabry is higher than a CF in the market. Sancho/Gnabry will make a bigger impact then a CF. Then i will go for a cheaper and different, tought and powerful CF, who is good to play with his back to the opponent goal. Keep the ball and get his his teammates with him.

Transfer targets:

Right winger/both sides : Sancho, if not Gnabry. Another option is Federico Chiesa.

But right now, Sancho and Gnabry are on a higher consistent level than Chiesa.

Price = around 100 - 120 mill Euro plus add on im willing to pay

CF: Mitrovic = around 30 mill Euro

Another creative cm in Kristoffer Olsson, who also can play as a nr.6 too.

Sum up: 4 new players in the summer. Two new wingers, one CF to squad depth and different kind of striker and a nr.8.

Sancho/Gnabry + Mitrovic + Chiesa + Olsson

Kag

I would stay with what we have, especially if Ighalo impresses and stays permanently because I regard the signings of Grealish and Sancho/another Right Winger more important as they will raise the overall creative output of the team. A prospective front three of Rashford - Martial - Sancho/productive right winger being fed by Grealish and Bruno elevates this team a level up but if Martial can't hack it again then we use the 2021 summer budget wholly on a new striker whilst Greenwood would be 18 months older and hopefully ready for a back up role.
Correct.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yes. I think overall Dortmund see this as a loan for a very talented player. Who knows, maybe he will choose to renew his contract with them and then his release clause will be removed or hiked.

If Solskjaer stays I do not see any new striker signing. Summer will be spent chasing Sancho, which will most likely prove to be futile.

If we do recruit a central striker it's has to be someone with experience, preferably in the 26.-28 age bracket. Strong, agile, good first touch and ball retention.
Unless we get CL, I don't think Sancho would come, although I think we would try, otherwise I would look at David Brooks, if he gets over this nasty injury he has had. As for a striker, if Ighalo comes off, then I would try to sign him for two years, with a view to Greenwood taking over eventually (otherwise an old head up front would be ideal). I would then look at Haaland at that time, as I believe he has stated that he would like to play in the PL (probably with Leeds if they ever get promoted).

tjb

Raul Jimenez for me. Put him in our side and we’re a different team altogether. Sancho to the right and Rashy on the left and we’d be up there, no doubt.
I agree. People won't like his age, but fact is he is a top striker. We can use him with Greenwood and Ighalo as a back up till Greenwood is good enough to take over from him.

croadyman

I think we are right to prioritise Sancho over a striker as think he would offer us more and has a higher ceiling, ideally we are able to bring in him, Grealish and a decent option at DM who wouldn't cost us the earth this summer

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think we are right to prioritise Sancho over a striker as think he would offer us more and has a higher ceiling, ideally we are able to bring in him, Grealish and a decent option at DM who wouldn't cost us the earth this summer
Striker is more priority than DM. Having that option on the bench and also someone who can challenge Martial is more important, before we signed Ighalo & Bruno, we rarely have a decent option from the bench to change the game. If we have Pogba, Fred Matic & McTominay, we don't need anymore DM. But if we lose Pogba then replacing him is a priority.

Macedonian Red

Za
Striker is more priority than DM. Having that option on the bench and also someone who can challenge Martial is more important, before we signed Ighalo & Bruno, we rarely have a decent option from the bench to change the game. If we have Pogba, Fred Matic & McTominay, we don't need anymore DM. But if we lose Pogba then replacing him is a priority.

Pogba is done at United. He must leave.
Matic, Mctominay, Fred with 1 new signing and Bruno if needed is enough for those positions.

Aubameyang is 30yo with 1y left at his contract and i am wonder which is his prize? He is better then Jimenez.

RooneyLegend

Luis Muriel. We don't need an expensive striker, all we need to do is sort out the rest of the side out. Martial is too talented to give up on.

NoPace

A Chicharito type buy and player, competing with Martial and being an actual option in the box to finish crosses and grab some ugly goals would be a great fit. Either they become the backup to Greenwood in time or we resell them if Martial is here for a long time and those 2 are our 9s. I know some people like Diallo on Metz or Moreles at Rangers. As a biased Canadian i've been impressed with Jonathan David (11 in 12 for Canada and that's mostly on the wing and 30 in 58 in Belgium) as a young player who was basically 1 in 2.5 for his club last year and is 3 in 4 now. Also gets assists.

An interesting alternative would be someone like Haller on loan if West Ham don't know what to do with him and want to recoup some money with a healthy loan fee and hope he plays better for a decent side. He's great in the air and brings others into play very well, could be a nice fit with Martial or Rashford like he helped make Jovic (another loan option) great at Eintracht. Or Bakambu was set to go to Barca and he looked a proper striker at Villareal to me. Kalinic is probably too slow at this point to make sense. Could we get Pukki on loan for a year if we sent them a decent loan fee and Dalot or someone like that on loan? Another out of the box option would be McBurnie on loan for a year instead of cash from Sheffield for Dean Henderson going back there again. He's not been a hit there but he is a proper #9 type which we don't have, and this would really be backing Greenwood to be the 9 when Martial is out with McBurnie

If Greenwood is going to be a starting quality player by the 21/22 season and we are really backing Martial, I'd say the best options are hungry/unproven goal scorer in a bad league with resell value, or a proven player who needs a loan like Giroud and Batshuayi and some pretty big name strikers have gotten over the years.

Vargo Hoat

Supports
Union Berlin
Although my loyalties lean towards Liverpool in the Premier League (not a fan per se, but I like to watch them play), I would like to see an attacking trio of Rashford, Martial and Jimenez for United. In fairness, I would also think Jimenez is among the best players Man Utd in its current state can attract from today's market.

RedIan

Stick with Martial, Rashford and Greenwood until Haaland's release clause kicks in.

Really,?? have we not learnt that you need 4 top strikers this season. A long term injury to one of these 3 and suddenly you are left very short. 100% we need a top striker in. Haaland would have been ideal but forget him now. He wont move so soon.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Although my loyalties lean towards Liverpool in the Premier League (not a fan per se, but I like to watch them play), I would like to see an attacking trio of Rashford, Martial and Jimenez for United. In fairness, I would also think Jimenez is among the best players Man Utd in its current state can attract from today's market.
He would be ideal. He is 29 in May so he wouldn't be holding back Greenwoods development.

But he has 3 years left on his Wolves contract and they would look for silly money. I can't see it happening.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

I would prefer to go all out for Sancho. Then have a rotational front 3 of Martial, Rashford, Sancho with Greenwood given more opportunity as a CF.

I would then buy a striker who is more of a target man and happy to sit on the bench but could be used as alternative if plan A isn’t working. Someone like Dzeko or even Giroud.

I think our biggest priority is finally sorting out a RW as we would have a threat from both wings.

Given the Pogba situation we will need to buy at least one CM, more like two.

A world class striker is going to cost £80m plus. If we sort out Sancho and need a replacement for Pogba we won’t have enough funds to buy someone upfront. Plus who do you buy?

Skåre Willoch

Really,?? have we not learnt that you need 4 top strikers this season. A long term injury to one of these 3 and suddenly you are left very short. 100% we need a top striker in. Haaland would have been ideal but forget him now. He wont move so soon.
Sure, a top striker would be great. I just don't see who fits the description and is available, while we still have funds/room for Haaland next summer (2021). Jimenez is mentioned, and I agree he would be ideal. But, as mentioned, he has three years left on his contract with Wolves and will demand a crazy salary.

It would be a real shame if we lose out on Haaland again by having 4 "top" strikers in the squad already. I say sign Sancho, and wait for Haaland.

A long shot is going for Vardy. He's very late in his prime, and will (probably) be eager to play for a massive club late in his career.

dal

Imagine chasing a game and we can field the below

——————Ighalo ——greenwood
——rashford-Grealish—————sancho
————————————-Bruno———-
———————-mctominay———————
————————————————-wan Bissaka
———————Maguire——Lindelof———-

last 10 mins taking off martial shaw and feed for Ighalo greenwood and Grealish

man can dream

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They're watching the United game means feck all. I know its slightly tongue in cheek but still annoying. Fair enough if it was the treble season review VHS but a live football game which they are paying no attention to :lol:

redshaw

More like he landed on a United game and thought nothing is on so I'll dance with my girlfriend

hungrywing

If you can afford it, Richarlison.
Wouldn't he want to be a nailed-on starter. (I have no idea but seems like it)

Odsonne Edouard.
Woodward saw a picture of Edouard and then pulled out his framed photo of Varane with the heart drawn around it and murmured No, more like this'.

But having only watched youtube highlights I do agree with the Edoouard > Dembele crowd. Doesn't even look like a close race.

Devil may care

My unpopular opinion (shock horror! :D) is that the 3-5-2 is what we should build on rather than looking to add a conventional #9, to me the best forwards out there to try and get are Sancho, Werner, Thuram and Latauro Martinez, none of whom are oldschool #9's but would operate great in tandem with any of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood, and in Sancho's case he could also operate in the #10 as with 3 CB's Bruno could operate as more a #8 with that cover.

So for me the priority this summer would be Sancho and one of the others I mentioned as well as a DM.

Would take her..I mean him in a heartbeat

:lol: Isn't there someone else in the background on the couch watching the game? Looks like Dybala had other things on his mind.

tjb

Luis Muriel. We don't need an expensive striker, all we need to do is sort out the rest of the side out. Martial is too talented to give up on.
I would havily rotate with martial as opposed to having someone else completely replace him. No great strikers to chose from.

#CR7

I don't think Dembele is worth the 80m quoted. I think we could definitely pick up a decent striker from any of the PL relegation contenders at a good price if they go down.

West Ham - Haller
Norwich - Pukki
Watford - Deeney

Either one of them could be a good bench option and bring different qualities. Personally I would buy Haller. Even though he hasn't set the PL alight this season, playing in the right system with other forwards playing off him will bring the best out of him.

Alfie092

Why not sign Ighalo on a permanent deal? He has been class for us since signing and I believe a fee of around £45m will do. Which is fairly cheap and we can use the money saved to focus on other areas.