Which striker should we sign this summer?

Sea-Cow

I like Jiminez and would love him here, but I think we should try for Jota instead if we are going to poach a Wolves player.

Mitrovic is similar to Jiminez and would be much less expensive.

Was anyone else impressed by Emannuel Dennis and his work against us? He was very quick, looked like a hard worker, and he caused us problems all night. Could be a punt worth taking. Will be interested to see how he does against us on Thursday.

Julz10

Dries mertens, out of contract in June. As long as he doesn’t mind being 2nd choice.
Yes 32 years old but still a class player.
Will give room for greenwood/martial to develop.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think, whoever it is, he should be an experienced player; content being Martial's back-up. Like a Pukki or a Ben-Yedder.

buckooo1978

In 2 years Rashford/Martial/Greenwood should be a very reliable and talented group of options in attack

We are obviously light right now and I think we should blow almost of our budget on a quality RW and a playmaker in midfield

We could use a short term experienced striker to rotate - This summer Cavani is out of contract- I'd love to see him at United for a year or two

Dries Mertens is also available on a free and would be an alternate decent squad option

Willian - not a striker but could add some good depth with hopefully Lingard/Sanchez/Pogba leaving

my choice would be Cavani..... a top top striker that our players would learn from and Mason will be 20/21 by the time he leaves

Macedonian Red

Martial will never be world class striker. I hoped he can be til this season but he spend all the credits. And Greenwood is too young. We dont need back up striker but someone who will push Martial out of startin 11. Someone with pasion, someone hungry for goals.

James Ward

Do we actually need another striker? We have Rashford, Greenwood and Martial who can play there and I think a quality signing on the right could gel these players together.

If we sign Jack Grealish there is cover for Bruno Fernandez which is badly needed and also cover for the left to free up one of the three above to play striker. Sounds like an ideal signing.

I think Pogba, Matic, Jesse and Andreas will be moved on in the summer so another quality midfielder is needed. Perhaps Soumare.

Forward options: Grealish, Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood, New RW
Midfield: Grealish, Bruno, Scott, Fred, Soumare.

I can't stick another season of watching Jesse and Andreas.

Steamboat Willy

I can’t understand why we are not all over Odsonne Edouard from Celtic. He is comparable to Dembele, but a bit younger and cheaper option, with amazing stats for Celtic in both the premiership and in european competitions, as so in his caps for different youth-national teams of France.

I believe he could be a perfect match instantly an in years to come, to partner Greenwood.

If not him, then let’s have Mertens for free...

Untied

I would look very seriously at Calvert-Lewin. Aerial threat (which we lack at the moment) and his stats put him up there with the PL's best.

Chillosophy

I like Jiminez and would love him here, but I think we should try for Jota instead if we are going to poach a Wolves player.

Mitrovic is similar to Jiminez and would be much less expensive.

Was anyone else impressed by Emannuel Dennis and his work against us? He was very quick, looked like a hard worker, and he caused us problems all night. Could be a punt worth taking. Will be interested to see how he does against us on Thursday.
If i recall Dennis wont be available in the return leg thankfully.

sp_107

Do we actually need another striker? We have Rashford, Greenwood and Martial who can play there and I think a quality signing on the right could gel these players together.

If we sign Jack Grealish there is cover for Bruno Fernandez which is badly needed and also cover for the left to free up one of the three above to play striker. Sounds like an ideal signing.

I think Pogba, Matic, Jesse and Andreas will be moved on in the summer so another quality midfielder is needed. Perhaps Soumare.

Forward options: Grealish, Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood, New RW
Midfield: Grealish, Bruno, Scott, Fred, Soumare.

I can't stick another season of watching Jesse and Andreas.
Like it and an additional stop gap forward can be a bonus but RW along with 2 midfielders should be our top priority.

croadyman

I like the idea of bringing in a striker who would be happy to be a backup which could well end up being Ighalo on a permanent deal as he genuinely seems so thrilled to be at the club. I also feel people like Mertens and Ings could be options but not so sure they would be content in playing a second fiddle type role.

Drz

I really like Richarlison at Everton, but let down when I saw the 100mil price tag rumour in december (Barca interest apparently).

zenith

I don't think we'll be signing act striker in this summer. Even if we do, it'll be a very underwhelming signing by caf standards. Purely because our need for a DM, AM and RW far superseeds the need of a CF.

croadyman

Would if Aubameyang is interested in following in the footsteps of RVP if we get champions league.

ricky-romeo

the main priority should be a RW (Sancho) , a Pogba replacement (Grealish) and a DM (maybe Partey). We'll probably spend the Pogba money on Grealish and a DM and that's the midfield sorted. and then our whole summer budget on Sancho.

But i can see us not signing a DM as we will use Fred , McTominay and maybe Matic to fill that role, which leaves us that extra 50million to spend on a striker.

My first and easy choice would be Timo Werner, if he is interested in joining us of course as Liverpool are the favourite now.

Moussa Dembele would have been a good back up to Martial and have that Ole kind of role (20 starts, 40-50 in total appearances a season) but he might cost more that Werner which is ridiculous.

Odsonne Edouard is another one worth having a look at. He is at the right age where he needs a platform to be a better player in a bigger stage. His ceiling is definitely higher than Dembele and he might actually be a better number 9 than Martial.

RedCurry

Dries mertens, out of contract in June. As long as he doesn’t mind being 2nd choice.
Yes 32 years old but still a class player.
Will give room for greenwood/martial to develop.
Isn’t he too similar to our current options? Can be a good option on a free but I think Ole wants a Chicharito type bench player.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not convinced we need to spend much or prioritise a striker. The issue we've had this season is Greenwood has been forced to play more than expected and Rashford and Martial have both suffered with injury. It all depends on how Ole wants to play really but the rumours point to Sancho coming in and hopeful Grealish which suggests to me you won't see Greenwood, Rashford and Martial on the pitch together all that much.

Ole wants his first team to be a fluid front line which can interchange. Rashford, Martial and Sancho would give that. You'd also have Bruno and Grealish who could get involved in play or in Grealish case drop to the left of a three.

With Greenwood we have the perfect back up but you could also drop one of Martial/Rashford depending on form or tactics. I think if we do look at a back up it will be a poacher and they will be a cheap addition.

PowerupMushroom

I have no idea if we got the finances, but my dream is to see Ronaldo in red for 3-4 more years. Only has 2 years left on his contract this summer. I know he's old and a lot of fans feel the last chance for this was when he went to Juventus, but with the lack of good options he could be a gamechanger. We would of course need to make CL for this to even be a slim chance. Thoughts?
I don't see many others worth the prices touted, so I'm not against Ighalo for a short period either.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I have no idea if we got the finances, but my dream is to see Ronaldo in red for 3-4 more years. Only has 2 years left on his contract this summer. I know he's old and a lot of fans feel the last chance for this was when he went to Juventus, but with the lack of good options he could be a gamechanger. We would of course need to make CL for this to even be a slim chance. Thoughts?
I don't see many others worth the prices touted, so I'm not against Ighalo for a short period either.
Think Ron in any red either than Portugal are long gone chap.

Dve

While I one year ago would sneeze at such a suggestion, I think it´s just a matter of time before we get linked to the top goal scorer in Turkey, Norwegian Alexander Sørloth. He has 26 goals and 8 assists in 39 games this season, and of late, Real Madrid are reported to be scouting him. He has some of the same qualities as Haaland, and is much of what United needs.

arthurka

If we want to buy Sancho there isn't a chance in hell we will buy someone expensive. Ighalo might be in for another season at Utd.

croadyman

If we want to buy Sancho there isn't a chance in hell we will buy someone expensive. Ighalo might be in for another season at Utd.
Yeah could quite easily see our summer consisting of Pogba leaving for around the £100m mark with us bringing in Sancho & Grealish for about £180m which would be damn good. We might then look at deciding to bring in Ighalo on a permanent deal depending on the cost and performances until the end of the season.

My gut feeling is that we will look at the DM situation again in either January or make it the big priority for next summer as expect Utd to go big Sancho this summer provided that we get champions league football of course.

Josep Dowling

I can’t understand why we are not all over Odsonne Edouard from Celtic. He is comparable to Dembele, but a bit younger and cheaper option, with amazing stats for Celtic in both the premiership and in european competitions, as so in his caps for different youth-national teams of France.

I believe he could be a perfect match instantly an in years to come, to partner Greenwood.

If not him, then let’s have Mertens for free...
Because he’s scoring goals in Scotland? Don’t see the hype on Dembele as well, his record in France is like 1 every 2 games. Lacazette had 1 to 1 goals to game over there and can’t score in the Premier League.

Dve

While I one year ago would sneeze at such a suggestion, I think it´s just a matter of time before we get linked to the top goal scorer in Turkey, Norwegian Alexander Sørloth. He has 26 goals and 8 assists in 39 games this season, and of late, Real Madrid are reported to be scouting him. He has some of the same qualities as Haaland, and is much of what United needs.

I don´t have the habit of quoting myself, but that didn´t take long...

https://turkish-football.com/man-un...-sorloth-e30m-rated-goalkeeper-ugurcan-cakir/

Hawks2008

I reckon test the waters for Jiminez, an experienced #9 who can be a good focal point in attack for us for a couple of seasons before Haalands release clause comes into play.

lysglimt

Scout
I would look very seriously at Calvert-Lewin. Aerial threat (which we lack at the moment) and his stats put him up there with the PL's best.

Agreed - if we are looking in the P.L - him or Jimenez are the obvious choices.

forevrared

I didn't think much of Calvert-Lewin before, but I've watched him a few times this year and he's genuinely impressed me. Decent hold up play and more dynamic than I expected. Not sure how high his ceiling is though, and I'd really like someone genuinely capable of pushing Martial. If we don't keep Ighalo, I'd at least have him in that spot.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Jimenez is a bad idea. He's going to be 29 the start of next season, paying 50m or big bucks of money on 29 years old is not worthy. I like Timo Werner, it's nice to have 3 players for 2 position (Timo, Rash, Martial) to rotate especially if we get CL next season. Or we can trust Martial again and sign cheap decent bench striker.

UpWithRivers

There is no point targeting any Prem players - Anyone decent would be 60 mill plus and thats a Pukki level player. Richarlison and Calvert lewin you will be talking 80-100. Not happening. Werner is a no brainier if we could get him for 60 mill euros. But if not Greenwood and Martial with a cheap back up will be fine for another season simply because we need to spend in other areas first. Whilst I like Ighalo I think we can do better as a back up striker. Not sure who but there must be someone at around 30 mill that can do a job for us.

RedIan

Why not sign Ighalo on a permanent deal? He has been class for us since signing and I believe a fee of around £45m will do. Which is fairly cheap and we can use the money saved to focus on other areas.

Hes done reasonably ok, nothing more nothing less. He looks fine as a stop gap and a wise move to bring him in.. I wouldn’t say he has been class though, Bruno has been class Ighall hasn’t made anywhere near Brunos impact.... hes a typical CF sniffing out chances. Is he in the RVP Cantona Rooney RVN York’s Cole class? Doesn’t look like it. We cant be settling for just ok... and no way is he worthy £45mil -