Which striker should we sign this summer?

ROFLUTION

Ighalo.

Let the spending be used on Sancho, Bellingham and Grealish. We'd seriously compete in 1-2 years with that trio. Summer/winter after that: Buy a central defender to partner Maguire.

Also just Ighalo, would make Greenwood develop more. hype-players like Sørloth are a waste of time+money when we have Greenwood who's a much bigger talent.

UpWithRivers

Kane is not happening but I cant for the life of me see why anyone would not want him

Rashford------Kane-------Sancho
------------------Fernandes-----------
---------Pogba--------DM (Fred, McTominay, Matic etc)----------

Thats a team that will be contenders for all competitions

Bondi77

Maybe Josh King or Callum Wilson depending what happens to the Cherries this season. I think we will be stuck with Alexis next season and he is not going to dislodge Rashford from the left so he could be our backup no.9

Last edited:

Stacks

If we are buying a striker that isn't cheap it better be a significant upgrade on Martial. Jimenez and Dembele are mentioned by some here and will be costly. However both these players are putting in similar stats with Martial

Martial - 14 goals in 26 games (first season in a long time as a striker)

Jimenez - 16 goals in 35 games

Dembele - 17 goals in 32 games (playing in the French league)

Martinez - 18 goals in 31 games

None of Jimenez Dembele and Martinez are significant upgrades on Martial and both of them would be costly. I think we can do with a cheap back up "for now". With Martial Rashford Greenwood Bruno and Ighalo , we have enough goalscorers in the team "for now" so we should be looking at other pressing positions. I say for now because we're still not ready to compete for the big trophies like the champions league. But when its time for that in two season maybe, we should have a consistent 20-30 goal a season striker whether that's Martial or Greenwood or getting a new striker
This!

He's a busted flush in the same mould as Torres when he left Liverpool. Do not want.
At his current rate of scoring this season he would score 34 goals if he played a full season of games. One of few strikers who you can assure will get 20 plus league goals when fit. Very few strikers do this here. I don't know if you know what busted flush means

christian bennett

No need for a expensive striker ill be happy with ighalo. Think martial deserves to be the number 1 striker again next season.

Reynoldo

Pre corona virus (and Levy) football economics would be roughly what? (At the high end)
  1. Pay €200m for Kane
  2. Pay €250m for Haaland and Sancho
I'd go with number 2 every time!

Eli Zee

Kane is not happening but I cant for the life of me see why anyone would not want him

I was going to say because we want to build for the future and he’s old and will need replacing in like 2 years... but turns out he’s only 26. Price tag may just be too high

Rocknrolla69er

Ighalo on a cheapish deal

Allowing us to do the Sancho deal and possibly another central midfielder depending on what we can take in sales.

Wouldnt suprise me at all if Lingaard/Peirera are used as make weights for Grealish or other targets.

croadyman

Allowing us to do the Sancho deal and possibly another central midfielder depending on what we can take in sales.

Wouldnt suprise me at all if Lingaard/Peirera are used as make weights for Grealish or other targets.
Yeah I could definitely get on board with that idea, do still get the impression that any move for a midfielder is hinging on whether Pogba stays or goes this summer and the longer it goes the more chance he stays in my opinion.

Pavl3n

Definitely Ighalo. He's the stop gap, until Greenwood develops into starting XI player, which I don't think is too far. May be another season at most - it's not about skill, but more about physique.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think we'll be able to offload Sanchez. I'd rather see us retaining him rather then loaning him again in exchange of like 10% of his salary. Hence why it would be nice to keep Ighalo as well especially on loan. Greenwood, Sanchez, Ighalo should provide us with enough experience and firepower upfront. Unfortunately We don't know if his club would sell him for a reasonable sum of money and even if he is available, we'll be asking for him to take a massive pay cut. That's a big ask for a player whose probably on his last pay cheque.

Under such circumstances I'd go for someone cheap. I'd go for someone either heading into his last year on contract (example Milik) or whose club is going to be relegated (Pukki? Wilson?)

Garry Buck

Ole likes Martial as a 9 so we won’t be signing any world class striker anytime soon. Ighalo on a permanent is the best we can hope for.

Bondi77

I don't think we'll be able to offload Sanchez. I'd rather see us retaining him rather then loaning him again in exchange of like 10% of his salary. Hence why it would be nice to keep Ighalo as well especially on loan. Greenwood, Sanchez, Ighalo should provide us with enough experience and firepower upfront. Unfortunately We don't know if his club would sell him for a reasonable sum of money and even if he is available, we'll be asking for him to take a massive pay cut. That's a big ask for a player whose probably on his last pay cheque.

Under such circumstances I'd go for someone cheap. I'd go for someone either heading into his last year on contract (example Milik) or whose club is going to be relegated (Pukki? Wilson?)
Pukki is a good one.
He has been good this season and will probably not want to drop a division next season so a cheeky bid could work.

Macedonian Red

I am not biggest Martial fan in last time but will be hard to buy 20(30)+ goals striker with Sancho in. But Sancho and Bruno with Rashy and Pogba may can make Martial to be that 20+ goals (in league) striker. I can see this will be the last chance for him to show he deserve place in starting 11 in Man Utd.

Scholsey2004

If we complete the Ighalo signing then that gives us him, Martial and Greenwood in a good range of ages so we should be sorted imo.

jesperjaap

I would go with the general consensus of giving a deal to Ighalo which I thought I would never say. Bar maybe Haaland that I dont see happenign at all, dont see a single out and out striker worth pursuing at all at the moment, certainly not value wise.
If we were to sign Sancho or somebody similar on the right, it would allow more appearances for Greenwood in the middle, doesnt look ready yet to start but that is where I see him long term and he is another year on now. Let Martial start and have Ighalo and Greenwood avaialble from the bench

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ighalo or Edouard! Cavani is on ridiculous wages. Kane is way too expensive and Tottenham wouldn't sell. The likes of Martinez Dembele and Jimenez are putting in similar numbers to Martial so what's the point of spending big on those players(60-100m).

But with Ighalo, it's low risk because he will be cheap and already fits in. And with Edouard he's of the best young strikers while being cheap and the type of striker we need

MattofManchester

We're not gonna sign a Striker this season, but if we did, I feel like there's a few things to consider. A lot has to do with this club's seemingly lower ambition for transfer targets.

If and when we do choose that we want a new forward, I dont think the likes of Ighalo and Dembele or Sorloth should be options.

We're a club that wants to win league titles, no? Hell, Champions League titles. So we need players of that quality. In that regard, I'm willing to say Martial is a top 6 striker but he's never going to be in the tier of Aguero, Van Persie or Kane. Not saying we should sign someone THAT good, just that Martial shouldn't be considered for the long term.

So, if we decide we're going for someone a bit older, to allow Greenwood's development, and yet still want to compete. We need a forward, aged 26 and up who looks like a player that can win you league titles.
I have a slight leaning towards Aubemeyang, given he is so very prolific, and there's much more to him as a forward than people give credit for.

However, if we still want to look at someone younger such as Haaland or Lautaro(no chance), I don't think that's a problem. Halaand is well developed for his age, and Lautaro looks like a player about to hit the top level in a season or so. Another young striker to compete with Greenwood wouldn't really be such a bad thing, especially given Greenwood is versatile enough to play across the line, for when we feel like changing it up. Competition and quality depth is still what we need.

Martial can prove me wrong over the next season, but I'm not seeing his fit in this club long term.
Don't get me wrong, I used to be his biggest fan, but some of the glamor has worn off.

Long story short. We need influential, exceptional strikers who can win titles.
Players who take it to the next level.

Bruno was the first player we signed in a long time who showed that quality. We need more.

RkkMan

We're not gonna sign a Striker this season, but if we did, I feel like there's a few things to consider. A lot has to do with this club's seemingly lower ambition for transfer targets.

If and when we do choose that we want a new forward, I dont think the likes of Ighalo and Dembele or Sorloth should be options.

We're a club that wants to win league titles, no? Hell, Champions League titles. So we need players of that quality. In that regard, I'm willing to say Martial is a top 6 striker but he's never going to be in the tier of Aguero, Van Persie or Kane. Not saying we should sign someone THAT good, just that Martial shouldn't be considered for the long term.

So, if we decide we're going for someone a bit older, to allow Greenwood's development, and yet still want to compete. We need a forward, aged 26 and up who looks like a player that can win you league titles.
I have a slight leaning towards Aubemeyang, given he is so very prolific, and there's much more to him as a forward than people give credit for.

However, if we still want to look at someone younger such as Haaland or Lautaro(no chance), I don't think that's a problem. Halaand is well developed for his age, and Lautaro looks like a player about to hit the top level in a season or so. Another young striker to compete with Greenwood wouldn't really be such a bad thing, especially given Greenwood is versatile enough to play across the line, for when we feel like changing it up. Competition and quality depth is still what we need.

Martial can prove me wrong over the next season, but I'm not seeing his fit in this club long term.
Don't get me wrong, I used to be his biggest fan, but some of the glamor has worn off.

Long story short. We need influential, exceptional strikers who can win titles.
Players who take it to the next level.

Bruno was the first player we signed in a long time who showed that quality. We need more.
We will definitely sign a ST lad. Either Ighalo or if we don`t buy him permanently someone else like Dembele maybe. You are forgetting how threadbare we were in that department before we scrambled for a ST on deadine day, we`d be going back to square one and I`m sure the club knows and remembers that. More concerned we will neglect our midfield unless Pogba goes.

MattofManchester

We will definitely sign a ST lad. Either Ighalo or if we don`t buy him permanently someone else like Dembele maybe. You are forgetting how threadbare we were in that department before we scrambled for a ST on deadine day, we`d be going back to square one and I`m sure the club knows and remembers that. More concerned we will neglect our midfield unless Pogba goes.
Sorry, my bad, I should have made my point a little clearer and well written.

It's likely that we will sign Ighalo permanently, and I'd already considered him to be here on a permanent basis after all the fanfare.
My point stemmed in fact to where we go from there, and that the club needs to elevate its ambition in the transfer market from next season.

Odion Ighalo and Dan James aren't going to be the players that win you titles.

We've mostly signed good players, but we've consistently missed out on "special" players, if that makes sense.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Sorry, my bad, I should have made my point a little clearer and well written.

It's likely that we will sign Ighalo permanently, and I'd already considered him to be here on a permanent basis after all the fanfare.
My point stemmed in fact to where we go from there, and that the club needs to elevate its ambition in the transfer market from next season.

Odion Ighalo and Dan James aren't going to be the players that win you titles.

We've mostly signed good players, but we've consistently missed out on "special" players, if that makes sense.
Ahh yes let's write off a 22 year old who's currently playing his first season in the prem because he's had a topsy turvy season and his names not m'bappe or Sancho.

Great work.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

What happens to Greenwood in this scenario?

Devil may care

The sample size of Igalho is very small, if he's free then sure, but I think Cavani could be an interesting option. Obviously there are better choices than both if we were buying a starter but I don't think that will be the criteria.

Rocknrolla69er

I wouldnt bring in Cavani , his wage would be a problem, it looks like were already making moves to bring the ridiculous wage bill under control. As seen on Fernandes wages. Lets not add 200-300k a week for someone the wrong side of 30. For this reason no chance its Cavani.

Id take Ighalo on a sensible wage, and have Martial, Ighalo, Rashford nd Greenwood as the strike options.

Be shrewd in the Ighalo purchase and it leaves funds for Sancho and possibly one or two more.

croadyman

I wouldnt bring in Cavani , his wage would be a problem, it looks like were already making moves to bring the ridiculous wage bill under control. As seen on Fernandes wages. Lets not add 200-300k a week for someone the wrong side of 30. For this reason no chance its Cavani.

Id take Ighalo on a sensible wage, and have Martial, Ighalo, Rashford nd Greenwood as the strike options.

Be shrewd in the Ighalo purchase and it leaves funds for Sancho and possibly one or two more.
Yeah that would be my thinking as well, do you think that is why we haven't been that strongly linked to Aubameyang or do you see him as a very different prospect to Cavani.

ghagua

If we are going keep Martial as the main striker, then we have the perfect backup in Ighalo. No other young striker would want to come and keep the bench warm, they would want to start. If we were looking to replace Martial, then that opens up the field quite a bit. I would go with what we have and develop Greenwood over the next 2 seasons.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Does he really? Or did he just not have any better option?
Ole recent quotes came out where he reiterated how he expects Martial to score even more goals and be a better goalscorer in the coming seasons. I don't even know where some people get this idea that Ole doesn't fancy Martial. I know it's a few section of people but I still don't know where they get this idea. Ole quite simply likes Martial(and hasn't shy away from showing it) and sees him as his main striker now and for the future.

Art Vandelay

Ole recent quotes came out where he reiterated how he expects Martial to score even more goals and be a better goalscorer in the coming seasons. I don't even know where some people get this idea that Ole doesn't fancy Martial. I know it's a few section of people but I still don't know where they get this idea. Ole quite simply likes Martial(and hasn't shy away from showing it) and sees him as his main striker now and for the future.
People are just suggesting that he's had no competition so we don't know if Ole actually likes him, you're the one stating it as fact that he likes him. He came out in January and said Sanchez will come back and prove his doubters wrong. Doesn't mean he wants him as first choice here either.

IrishGlen

There’s not a lot of suitable options. No way we could spend £150m on Kane in a post Covid-19 market after bringing in Sancho, etc. The likes of Jiménez, Dembélé at fees of £60-80m are not great value.

Martinez and Werner could be options. I believe Werner has a €50m release clause and has spoken positively about the club and the league in the past but all the reports are linking him with Liverpool.

The situation also becomes more complicated due to Martials age and Greenwood’s planned development meaning a first choice ST is probably not what the club have in mind.

Dve

Ighalo for now, then Haaland next summer (or in January).

Garry Buck

Ighalo will sign no doubt about that. Haaland next summer would be great but I feel he is Madrid bound. Werner would be an option if Liverpool don’t move for him. With all that being said, I think we will target Moussa Dembélé.

Pav1878

Cavani for free and ighalo, will give us good options for not much outlay