Which striker should we sign this summer?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You got some issue.

What about you take a nap first, wake up, carefully re-read my first post and see where I said we should buy Jimenez. You are moaning for no reason and it's sad.
Chill out with the moaning and napping stuff. I dont know how I offended you. Now tell mum to wash that stone island jacket. Goodnight.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I would think the financial situation would be the biggest consideration. Can we afford to buy, and who has to sell?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Chill out with the moaning and napping stuff. I dont know how I offended you. Now tell mum to wash that stone island jacket. Goodnight.
I asked you to re-red my post again and you replied with such a bad manner.

Why someone who is chilled right now being told to chill out by a poster who is currently all over the place?

Please highlight my post which part of me moaning? I moan nothing and you moan about Jimenez & Martial to me for no reason.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I asked you to re-red my post again and you replied with such a bad manner.

Why someone who is chilled right now being told to chill out by a poster who is currently all over the place?

Please highlight my post which part of me moaning? I moan nothing and you moan about Jimenez & Martial to me for no reason.
Because you replied to a person I was talking to before mate that subject. Read a thread and not just a post. Now leave it.

Art Vandelay

For your own sanity you're best to just put him on ignore.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because you replied to a person I was talking to before mate that subject. Read a thread and not just a post. Now leave it.
Clearly I was replying to your post and you replied back with a moan for no reason.

Bondi77

We will not buy Jimenez for many reasons and they are;
Ole wants a backup option and he will be too expensive.
Wolves are serious competitors now and they do not need to sell unless offered stupid money (see first reason)
Ole wants to play high tempo game and he does not fit into mould.
Seems like all the top teams do not play with target men now (not saying it is not effective) and that is the way Ole is going too.
I personally think we will either tie down Ighalo or we will get a young player with potential in for around the 20-25mil mark and that will depend on the Sanchez situation.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't know what you are moaning about Martial on my post when I said nothing about Martial.

I was specifically referring to your view about Jimenez. People who viewed him on goals was wrong because it was never his strength. Jimenez actually offer something different to Martial on aspect of aerial duel & height which also something Haland has. There is a reason why I compare Jimenez to Benzema more than Firmino, much more athletic. Whoever the striker we'll bring this summer, it's very unlikely to be someone that is worth to buy to replace Martial.
:lol:

Bondi77

Can anyone remember the name of that Argentinian u21 player that we were linked with?
I think it sounded German.

ovoxo

Can anyone remember the name of that Argentinian u21 player that we were linked with?
I think it sounded German.
Adolfo Gaich?? I think he has a low release clause of around 12m from memory.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm interested to know the type of striker people think we need. I've seen different opinions. Some think we need competition for Martial eg Jimenez, Dembele, etc. Some think we need a world class striker eg Kane, Icardi. Some think we need a gem eg Edouard, David. Some think we need a striker that would be happy on the bench eg Ighalo, Rondon
I think we should be looking for somebody who combines the first and last option. That's what makes it quite difficult. We want somebody who is good enough to compete with Martial if he only stays at his current level and push him to improve, but who will probably be happy to be more of a squad option if Martial does take the step up to the next level. And obviously we don't want to pay too much for that player.

Jimenez might fit that bill which is why a lot of people like him, but I'm pretty sure he'd be too expensive for the role. One player who was linked to us a few days ago and I personally think might be the perfect option is Ben Yedder. Good enough to compete, low profile enough that he might be happy to regularly be on the bench, and Monaco having financial problems so might be able to get him for relatively cheap.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Thanks, he is the sort of player we should be targeting
Good technique, decent turn of speed,can score a goal and lots of potential.
He’s nothing like what we need. He’s hardly done anything of worth on any substantial stage. He’s a YouTube highlight at best but would be a depressingly unambitious signing for what we need.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think we should be looking for somebody who combines the first and last option. That's what makes it quite difficult. We want somebody who is good enough to compete with Martial if he only stays at his current level and push him to improve, but who will probably be happy to be more of a squad option if Martial does take the step up to the next level. And obviously we don't want to pay too much for that player.

Jimenez might fit that bill which is why a lot of people like him, but I'm pretty sure he'd be too expensive for the role. One player who was linked to us a few days ago and I personally think might be the perfect option is Ben Yedder. Good enough to compete, low profile enough that he might be happy to regularly be on the bench, and Monaco having financial problems so might be able to get him for relatively cheap.
This is funny because reading the first paragraph I was about to suggest Ben Yedder who i think is the perfect choice for what we're looking for.

Other strikers we could get that combine the first and last options are young strikers with potential. Players like Edouard, David etc but why trust a young striker banging it in Scotland or America when you can just trust one who is already banging it in here in England - Greenwood.

Going forward I think Martial and Ben Yedder at the very least can make us top 3 until maybe Greenwood comes good or a world class striker becomes available and that's without mentioning the possibility of Martial becoming world class himself

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ben Yedder is a shout similar style to what we’re used to though so wouldn’t offer hold up play in the same way as others might.
Definitely wouldn’t say no though.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If we think that Greenwood is the real deal maybe we should be looking at someone older like Aubameyang, Lewandowski or Suarez

Andersonson

Thanks, he is the sort of player we should be targeting
Good technique, decent turn of speed,can score a goal and lots of potential.
A 21 year old with 7 senior league goals is someone we should target? He is tall and good with his head, but if we should buy a striker its Haaland. Someone who instantly replaces Martial and is a real goal threat.

SweetRightFoot

Not interested in Ben Yedder at all. Just don't see anything about him. Decent finisher, good poacher but I think he'd get eaten alive in the PL. No good physical traits.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
A 21 year old with 7 senior league goals is someone we should target? He is tall and good with his head, but if we should buy a striker its Haaland. Someone who instantly replaces Martial and is a real goal threat.
It’s laughable how we go from one extreme to another.

Bondi77

Do you listen to Ole when he talks about Martial?
He does not want to replace him!
Martial is on a long term contract.
Utd are not going to spend big money on a striker to warm the bench.
The reason why I brought up Adolfo is I think it is good reasoning to go for a young talent like him as he would be low risk with a big upside and he has been blooded ar international level so permit issues should not be a problem.
If I had to wager money on what will happen it would be we will go in for Josh King again with a 25mil bid and see what happens with it.
As far as I am concerned anyone talking about Haaland, Dembele or any other high profile striker coming to the club while Martial is there are living in La La land.

Andersonson

Do you listen to Ole when he talks about Martial?
He does not want to replace him!
Martial is on a long term contract.
Utd are not going to spend big money on a striker to warm the bench.
The reason why I brought up Adolfo is I think it is good reasoning to go for a young talent like him as he would be low risk with a big upside and he has been blooded ar international level so permit issues should not be a problem.
If I had to wager money on what will happen it would be we will go in for Josh King again with a 25mil bid and see what happens with it.
As far as I am concerned anyone talking about Haaland, Dembele or any other high profile striker coming to the club while Martial is there are living in La La land.

Some fair points, but I disagree on some parts. What Ole says about Martial in the media doesnt paint a picture about whats really going. Im not saying Ole is willing to get rid, but Ole aint a manager who goes out public and says he wants him go, or that he isnt good enough. He has for instance said that Sanchez is returning and we will see a new Sanchez. You beileve that?

I don't want a young striker either, has we already have Mason. And if we sign Sancho, it means less game time for Mason on the right. Meaning he needs game time up front. So IF we was to sign a striker, it should be some one better than Martial. And there are strikers out there who are attainable and better.

Martial is a decent striker, and has some very good skillset, but I dont think he's best upfront. He doesnt have enough goals in him. His best ever season is 11 goals. If he doesnt come up with better numbers soon, he will be replaced. Ole is that ruthless when needed. And maybe it will come to that.

The question the OP made was, ' Which striker should we sign this summer? ' And in my opinion, should we sign any, it should be someone better than Martial. Not a up and coming one. Though, I think we should give Martial another season or two to see if he can come up with the numbers and use the money elsewhere.

Mark Pawelek

I'm definitely with Bondi77. If we get Sancho we won't have any money left over for kind of centre forward people want. Adolfo will make an excellent plan B. I see no reason he shouldn't get a permit. A strike force from: Martial, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Adolfo, supported by James and Fernandes can beat any team in Europe and England. Pogba's going. So, I'd rather add to the creative midfield with someone like: Grelish, Nkunku, Van de Beek or Maddison to take pressure off Fernandes. Which leaves nothing left over for the experienced striker alternative. If not Adolfo, maybe another loan?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can't seem to think of a single stand out player we could potentially buy for the the forward position that will be cost effective or provide the versatility we require without shelling out a significant sum. And in the current climate I believe we should look to adopt a low risk, high reward strategy. We should look outside the box and pass on the likes of Ighalo, Jimenez, Moussa Dembele etc who seem to be the obvious targets if media reports are anything to go by.

The player i'd like to see us go for is 21 year old Adolfo Gaich from San Lorenzo in Argentina and a few posters have already mentioned him in the thread. I watched him play in several pre Olympic qualifiers for the Argentine u21 team and he was impressive in leading the line. He would give Ole tactical flexibility by not only providing the team plan b, but would also be more than capable of carrying out the original game plan due to his all round skillset. Physically he's very powerful and stands at 6'3 already and is nick named 'The Tank' (El tanque) in his homeland. Aerially he looks a huge threat which is something that would open up a different threat for the opposition to contend with and would give us tactical flexibility. His hold up play is also fantastic and for a player of his size, he's deceptively quick, technically good and can work the channels superbly well. According to reports from Argentina in January this year, he had a release clause of €12m and was on the verge of joining Belgian club Brugge before the move fell through. Currently Benfica are reported to be hot on his tail which would potentially be a very good move for both parties.

For £9m he's a no brainer imo and I would personally hope we attempt to make this sort of signing rather than spend much more on the likes of Dembele, Plea, Ighalo etc who I don't particularly rate highly. It would also allow to push the boat out to strengthen other more urgent positions.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don’t know how?
Weren’t we the only club interested in Longstaff.
I mean based on the fact that both Gaich and Longstaff have not done enough to be what United need right now. People can bring up all the hidden gems Ferguson signed in the past but we could risk that because we were already at the top. I didnt see us having players with the quality of Adolfo Gaich and Martial as our main striker and substitute striker.

Bondi77

I mean based on the fact that both Gaich and Longstaff have not done enough to be what United need right now. People can bring up all the hidden gems Ferguson signed in the past but we could risk that because we were already at the top. I didnt see us having players with the quality of Adolfo Gaich and Martial as our main striker and substitute striker.
Fair enough, I get that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don’t know how?
Weren’t we the only club interested in Longstaff.
Longstaff had a 50m price tag. With a 12m minimum fee clause this guy will cost us next to nothing.

I love Argentinians. They might be a bit greedy but they will give their 100% especially in the early part of their career when they want to prove themselves. If the guy has talent then at worst he becomes like Luataro M who will feck off to Barcelona for a crazy fee. At best we end up with a Javier Zanetti who'll stay at the club forever.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Longstaff had a 50m price tag. With a 12m minimum fee clause this guy will cost us next to nothing.

I love Argentinians. They might be a bit greedy but they will give their 100% especially in the early part of their career when they want to prove themselves. If the guy has talent then at worst he becomes like Luataro M who will feck off to Barcelona for a crazy fee. At best we end up with a Javier Zanetti who'll stay at the club forever.
I get that some see it as low risk high reward. But there's a higher chance of him flopping or taking time to adapt than there is of him coming in and performing. We should not put ourselves In a position where an unreliable Martial is the only striker we can rely on. And how the hell does he at worst become like lautaro Martinez even if he has talent

Bondi77

I look at this thread more as a ‘Which striker do you think we will sign’ than a ‘Which striker should we sign’ because the latter for me is a totally different question which implies money is not a factor.
If we are to put up our views on which one we should sign I would say Lewandowski as I think the guy is lethal and would succeed in any league in the world but We all know that is not going to happen.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I get that some see it as low risk high reward. But there's a higher chance of him flopping or taking time to adapt than there is of him coming in and performing. We should not put ourselves In a position where an unreliable Martial is the only striker we can rely on. And how the hell does he at worst become like lautaro Martinez even if he has talent
But we aren't doing that. There's Martial, Greenwood and Rashford can play there as well.

Regarding your second comment I am referring to the attitude a talented young Argentinian can take with us. At best he'll stay here forever like Zanetti did at Inter. At worst he'll feck off in 2-3 years for a ridiculous fee just like Lautaro will probably do.

Ace of Spades

I think all these big names are simply not possible right now in the current climate, I think we may try to make Ighalo permanent for a small fee like 10m odd, as he has settled down nicely and has the right attitude, or not sign anyone at all.

jamesjimmybyrondean

But we aren't doing that. There's Martial, Greenwood and Rashford can play there as well.

Regarding your second comment I am referring to the attitude a talented young Argentinian can take with us. At best he'll stay here forever like Zanetti did at Inter. At worst he'll feck off in 2-3 years for a ridiculous fee just like Lautaro will probably do.
Based on what I've seen. Rashford was terrible as our striker when Martial got injured and Greenwood looked overwhelmed when he played as our striker. This is why we signed Ighalo because it was a necessity and we were fecked if Martial got injured again. And this is why I think we shouldn't sign Gaich because other than Martial (who himself can be unreliable) we have no reliable striker and signing a 21 year old from Argentina to play in the premier league is not looking likely to solve that issue. My bad for missing the Lautaro Martinez point