Which transfer saga stung the most?

PoTMS

So many to choose from but this one hurt especially considering the respective divergent paths player and club took.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Vidal and Sneijder, oh and Thiago.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Thiago for me... damn that signed football to hell!

romufc

Thiago has to be the one for me.

It was just after Fergie left which make it a sour blow.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I remember being gutted about Ozil when he moved both to Madrid and Arsenal. I'm pretty sure we were heavily linked both times.

More so when he went to Madrid after watching him at the 2010 World Cup where he was outstanding.

Lukuku - wish he’d gone back to Chelsea. Showed how few strikers there were about when we were chasing an average striker and got stung for £75-90m. Shocking.

the one that got away was Ronaldinho.

Thiago. It looked done and dusted.

Maybe in hindsight it wasn't all bad, he hasn't turned out quite as expected and Moyes wouldn't have had a clue what to do with him.

Ronaldinho was horrible but we didn't know it was so close at the time, and i never really expected him to come to us.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There was probably little in it but when Stam left we were constantly linked with Nesta or Ayala. Either one of those would've been a brilliant replacement.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Kevin Hofland and Julien Escude in 01 and Nicolas Burdisso in 02.
It's so sad that I remember these.

Sylar

Ronaldinho.
Agreed with this one. It might have not worked out, but its always a case of 'I wonder what' with him especially as we saw how it turned out for those years at Barca and what he helped transformed them into.
And it would have been at a time when we had prime Ruud. Can only think we would have played 451 / 4411.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Ronaldinho was probably the biggest what if.

If we're talking about redcafe sagas I remember Thiago most vividly. I think there was less than a week between the first time the Bayern rumour popped up and the eventual signature. Meanwhile the United rumours had been going for months.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Vidal: Chilevision
Thiago: Message on ball
Griezmann : watching a united player on Insta.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ronaldinho followed by Thiago even though I never rated him that highly

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ronaldinho teletext and newspaper speculation daily. Also you knew he was good but not how good as it was before all the scouting clips became the norm.

Vidal
Refresh Refresh Refresh
Thiago

I refuse to spend whole summers hoping we sign a player since. It’s basically a form of torture expecting this club to be ruthless in the market, especially since 2009

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Retrospectively Ronaldinho although I can't say I was that arsed about him as a player at the time. Didn't really know much about him. I'd never watched the French or Brazilian league, were they even on tv in England when he was in them? I don't think they were and there was no youtube to watch clips of him on. Only knew of the goal he scored against Seaman. Was maybe a bit annoyed that we didn't get someone we wanted but that would have applied whoever it was. He went on to become one of my favourite non-United players of all time.

At the time probably George Donis. :lol: Like Ronaldinho I didn't really know much about him but was younger when we were supposedly interested in him so thought he must be great if we wanted him. Don't know if we ever were and he ended up at Blackburn about 3 years later where he was rubbish.

freeurmind

weak willed
Ronaldinho seems like the kind of player who would have been fed up living in Manchester within 2 weeks tbh. We saw what happened with Di Maria.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Agreed with this one. It might have not worked out, but its always a case of 'I wonder what' with him especially as we saw how it turned out for those years at Barca and what he helped transformed them into.
And it would have been at a time when we had prime Ruud. Can only think we would have played 451 / 4411.
Ronaldinho would have been another Veron type had he signed. World class but wouldn’t have worked out. That United team was going through transition...

Had a prime era Ronaldinho signed between 2006 and 2008, different story...

izec

Pretty much this. I wonder if it would have worked out well with Sir Alex or if it would have been a personality clash. Anyway, it's the biggest "what if" transfer I've ever thought about. Still wish he came here (and we also signed Ronaldo).
He wouldn't care if Ronaldinho performed like at Barca. He was a master of man management, so i doubt they would have clashed for quite a number of years, with so much talent on both sides.

Himannv

He wouldn't care if Ronaldinho performed like at Barca. He was a master of man management, so i doubt they would have clashed with so much talent on both sides.
I feel he's an extraordinary man manager but he also had a close eye on what his players were doing off the pitch. I'd like to think it would have worked brilliantly, but it's also a bit hard to tell without the gift of hindsight.

RUCK4444

Don’t really remember the Ronaldinho on teletext, was a little young at the time, however it would be by a country mile the biggest stinger.

Imagine him here taking the pi*s of players at OT, what an absolute dream that would have been :drool::drool:

Imagine if Fergie had tamed his nights out and focussed him to maintain that peak he had:drool::drool::(

RUCK4444

I feel he's an extraordinary man manager but he also had a close eye on what his players were doing off the pitch. I'd like to think it would have worked brilliantly, but it's also a bit hard to tell without the gift of hindsight.
He wouldn’t have stood for the nights out but SAF proved he was willing to embellish players like Cantona if they were that good.

I often think that if Fergie couldn’t focus a players mind and attitude then no manager could.
Same goes for players like Gazza, fact is that Gazza bottled working under SAF as he knew he would have to knuckle down, its a load of boll*x that he went to Spurs because they bought his sister a car or whatever nonsense, you don’t turn down United and Fergie for a feckin BMW

Thiago one was really bad. Griezmann permanently broke me though, felt like nothing could go right for us when he decided not to be a prick for once in his life and renewed when Atleti had that transfer ban.

I still get invested mind you, I'm prepared for devastation with regards to Sancho

SirSteve4

Thiago

Ronaldinho

Batistuta (Unicorn)

Celio Silva (although that worked out ok as we got Jaap Stam instead)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Fellaini...
It cant be true...
nah we wouldnt be in for him...
phew his buyout clause has expired ... bullet dodged
then we go and splaff several million more than his buyout clause ... OUCH