Which United players will excel at the World Cup?

Parma Dewol

Might just be my misconception, but I feel as though United players often struggle to shine on the international stage.

2022's unusual winter World Cup is arriving with the team in decent form and players showing signs of turning it around.

With squads starting to be announced, which of our traveling players do you think will continue their good form, completely defy expectations, or flop badly?

I've got a feeling Fred and Anthony will both deliver the goods for Brazil. Maguire will hit rock bottom with a sending off, Martinez will be vital in seeing Argentina through to the latter stages, and super-sub Garnacho to announce himself on the biggest stage. I have been wrong before, mind.

Raw

I think Shaw will shine for England like he did in the Euros. Been playing really well for us this season.

Can see Bruno flopping for Portugal. This will be Ronaldo's last World Cup so he's definitely going to be up for it but I reckon he won't really do all that much in the end.

Chairman Steve

I can’t think of too many instances where a United player has looked amazing in a World Cup either. They’re always just kinda there at best. Rooney famously underwhelmed at tournaments after Euro 2004. Ronaldo never really hit the heights internationally in his first stint with us. Maybe Pogba because he won it and he did play well in that tournament, even though he was quite flaky for United. RVP in 2014?

Providing they play, I can see Martinez and Dalot being hits. I also see Bruno being somewhat a dud. God knows with Ronaldo but I wouldn’t put it past him that he’s saving himself for this to the detriment of United. I think England overall will be a dud team so they’ll all underwhelm for the most part.

Hopefully our Brazilians will represent us well. I’d put a sneaky outside bet on Antony wowing.

Steffa Barnesa

I was waiting for a United player to play in a World Cup final (I think the last one was Bobby Charlton in '66) . . . and then it was Pogba, which was slightly underwhelming. (Saha I think would have played a part in the 2006 final, but was suspended).

Agree with some of the above. Dalot could emerge, Antony could do really well. Casemiro could further enhance his repuation and maybe be in contetion for the golden ball (maybe I'm biased because he's shot to the top of my current favourite United players). I remember seeing Bruno in the last World Cup and he didn't impress me at all, then in the last Euros (now a United player) he barely played and didn't do much when he did. Portugal under Santos have obviosuly got some good results, but the attacking players don't seem to gel.

Irwin99

The evil thought but...which players would we like to see sent home early so that they can prepare themselves for our hellish fixture schedule? I like France but Varane coming home early wouldn't be a tragedy for us (more so for him)

On topic I expect all our South American players to do well. I also expect Maguire to be decent in England's set up, which could actually be good for us to get his confidence back.

demetre

I think Rashford would do well playing off Kane in Southgate's counter-attacking setting. But unfortunately Southgate won't play him much.

Shaw is always really good for England, so he's a safe bet. I think Eriksen and Casemiro will have good tournaments as well.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I can’t think of too many instances where a United player has looked amazing in a World Cup either. They’re always just kinda there at best. Rooney famously underwhelmed at tournaments after Euro 2004. Ronaldo never really hit the heights internationally in his first stint with us. Maybe Pogba because he won it and he did play well in that tournament, even though he was quite flaky for United. RVP in 2014?

Providing they play, I can see Martinez and Dalot being hits. I also see Bruno being somewhat a dud. God knows with Ronaldo but I wouldn’t put it past him that he’s saving himself for this to the detriment of United. I think England overall will be a dud team so they’ll all underwhelm for the most part.

Hopefully our Brazilians will represent us well. I’d put a sneaky outside bet on Antony wowing.
Rooney was great in 04 and Ronaldo was great in that tournament and also in 06. Pogba was great when France won the World Cup.

As for this tournament I think Casemiro and Martinez will do very well. Maguire might do well for England because they play a system that suits him and have a manager that is risk averse.

NICanRed

I was waiting for a United player to play in a World Cup final (I think the last one was Bobby Charlton in '66) . . . and then it was Pogba, which was slightly underwhelming. (Saha I think would have played a part in the 2006 final, but was suspended).

And Nobby Stiles!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think Shaw will do well and rashford. Think Antony might take us all by storm if he starts games for Brazil that is.

afatzp

I would play my bet on Casemiro and he win it with Brazil .

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Bruno
Ronaldo
Maguire
Shaw

These 4 are likely to have a very good tournament.

Martinez
Dalot
Mejbri

Will gain a lot of recognition.

Casemeiro
Eriksen

Will just do them.

Fred (market)
Anthony
Malacia
Pellistri
Will gain a lot from the experience.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
how many of ours are even nailed on starters?

Casemiro
Eriksen
Ronaldo
Shaw
Martinez
Varane (if fit)

Probably Fred, Bruno and Maguire but I dont think they are nailed

the_cliff

how many of ours are even nailed on starters?

Casemiro
Eriksen
Ronaldo
Shaw
Martinez
Varane (if fit)

Probably Fred, Bruno and Maguire but I dont think they are nailed
Fred is nailed, starts with Casemiro in midfield.
Antony is backup to Raphinha but will defo get chances.
Maguire will probably start knowing Southgate.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Some Caf members won't be amused if Ronaldo is one of them...

NoPace

Eriksen and Shaw are both in good positions to have the tournament of their lives. Good form, QF quality teams, nailed on spots in the team.

Lisandro is in a weird spot because he might need his team to concede a few for him to get in, but he could make the difference for them if he gels well with Romero.

padzilla

Hipster
world cups are always festivals of shite defensive football with the fear of losing overriding the courage to win. I expect defensive players to excel if previous tournaments are anything to go by.

Swordsman

world cups are always festivals of shite defensive football with the fear of losing overriding the courage to win. I expect defensive players to excel if previous tournaments are anything to go by.
they don't want to end up like the greatest losers of world cup. the 1974 dutch team.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think Eriksen, Shaw and Casemiro will perform well.

Martinez isn’t first choice but if he plays you can add him to the list. Same with Antony and Dalot.

CallyRed

Not sure who will Excel but rest Azured I think the Brazilian contingent have OneDrive to lift the trophy and that's 20 years of not winning it. I think they will have the last Word.

mctrials23

So what you are saying is we have a chance :drool:

In all seriousness thought, its much easier to play negative defensive football as a manager when you are pulling a load of random players from 5 different teams together a few times a year. The best international sides have almost always been when they are made up of a couple of domestic teams players and in a country with a strong footballing identity so that players naturally gel without a lot of training/coaching.

Its one of the big reasons I think England have done so poorly in tournaments. We haven't had a national identity for years.

shaky

Yeah, I expected this will be the case again, though I'm hoping the fact that the WC is mid-season rather than after the end of a season will have an effect on the quality of football compared to the dross it usually serves up.

RedDevilRoshi

Might just be my misconception, but I feel as though United players often struggle to shine on the international stage.

2022's unusual winter World Cup is arriving with the team in decent form and players showing signs of turning it around.

With squads starting to be announced, which of our traveling players do you think will continue their good form, completely defy expectations, or flop badly?

I've got a feeling Fred and Anthony will both deliver the goods for Brazil. Maguire will hit rock bottom with a sending off, Martinez will be vital in seeing Argentina through to the latter stages, and super-sub Garnacho to announce himself on the biggest stage. I have been wrong before, mind.
He’s not even in the squad

OT_United

Cody Gakpo. At 80/1 for golden boot, he's worth a punt...can't wait for his price tag to double come January
Enzo Fernandez will shine too.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Yeah, not sure about that one! North African countries haven't always excelled on the world stage
He was the only bottom price midfielder I knew, and after putting Kane, Neymar and Gakpo up front, something had to give!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Fred.

Just to continue the tradition of Man Utd midfielders heroically carrying their team to world cup glory, only to look completely out of their depth against Aston Villa two months later.

Chief123

So I watched Argentina today in their pre world cup friendly and Martinez started and played the whole game. I think Martinez may be a starter in the world cup.
I hope so as he deserves it. Although I’d prefer him to get a rest.