Which United signing excited you the most before they played?

Pughnichi

Stam. Remember in the Manchester Evening News there was a pic of him attending a game after the announcement. This Beast of a man sat there with a mean look on his face. Couldn’t wait to see him get started. He didn’t disappoint

0le

Rooney. There was admittedly some nervousness over the price but his debut in the CL (on ITV) was sensational. Good memories.

Mr.Kaya

Definetly Pogba after he played like a monster for both Juve and France, I was just soo happy to get him back home.

acnumber9

Van Perise. He was basically the best striker in the world at the time and it was an obvious title winner. Especially as the alternative was him signing for City.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Cantona and Cole. Bring back the no transfer window.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Sort of I guess...although Pogba wasn't as established. If you had asked me just before we signed Veron to pick a ridiculous fantasy signing that I would love to make if reality collapsed I'd have said Veron.
Huh? Pogba was a world class star by 2017. He was fully established in the Juve and France squads.

Oystaboi

I was most excited by Veron. As previous posters have said, genuinely world class player who should have taken us up a level.

Most recent was Falcao. Was driving to a site in ramsgate, got so excited by the news on the radio missed the turning and ended up in Dover!!

stu_1992

Rooney was the first I can think of that I was very excited for. I was quite young at the time too tbf. I remember being excited by Saha too especially after he had a great game for Fulham against us!

After that I would say Van Persie for sure, and I had convinced myself that Kagawa would be fantastic.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I still shed the odd tear over Falcao. Can't tell you how stoked I was when he signed and how gutted I was when it never worked out. Also Sanchez to a lesser extent. Larsson was also a great shout but if only we'd signed those guys along with Ibra a few years earlier in their careers. :( United's recent history would be very different.

OrcaFat

Bryan Robson. But then I got annoyed as he took Coppell’s number (who was my favourite player at the time).

In the Ferguson years it would be Stam, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney and Berbatov.

Post Ferguson probably Zlatan.

If we get Grealish that will be up there with all of the above.

Gavinb33

Veron and Ruud

Veron because I thought he was gonna be our Zidane and dominate, Ruud because of the build up around the transfer and finally getting our man, you knew Ruud was special because Fergie didn't give up trying to get him even after the knee

Josh 76

So many to choose from.

Jim Leighton

AWB
Gary Pallister
Jaap Stamp
Luke Shaw

Neil Webb
Veron
DI Maria

Sanchez
RVP
Rooney

Falcow

Shocked at the lack of mentions for Cantona. I can still remember reading it on tele text. Closing in on 30 years now, scary.

Rooney also. He was exciting.

Josh 76

Shocked at the lack of mentions for Cantona. I can still remember reading it on tele text. Closing in on 30 years now, scary.

Rooney also. He was exciting.
The thing with Cantona signing, was more of a shock than excitement. He had only played 3 or so months for Leeds and was still unproven. Don't think anyone ever thought he would have the impact he did.

Falcow

The thing with Cantona signing, was more of a shock than excitement. He had only played 3 or so months for Leeds and was still unproven. Don't think anyone ever thought he would have the impact he did.
He played more than 3 months for leeds. He was part if their league winning team and I wouldn't say he was unproven as he was probably the best player in the league when we signed him.

But yeah it was definitely a shock for sure.

Monkey bus

Berbatov for me. Remember it was all a bit last minute so added to all the drama. Levy doing his best not to sell him to us and all that.

I’d seen a little bit of him at Leverkusen and then he’d gone up a level at Tottenham. I thought he’d step up a level at United and was absolutely made for us.

Didn’t have a bad time with us but I think I’d got a bit too carried away with what I thought would happen.

George the Cat

Might be an unpopular choice considering his career after he left us and some of the nonsense he has spouted about us, but I remember being very excited about Paul Ince signing and he was top quality when he was here to be fair.

stevoc

I was probably most excited by the prospect of signings that never actually happened like Overmars in 1995.

Then Shearer in 96, Laudrup in 97 and Kluivert in 98.

Sadly the mid to late 90's were not a great time for a young Transfer Muppet.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Last few years only - but Falcao was signed on my birthday and I remember being over the moon to have a world class striker competing with the likes of RvP and Rooney.

Obviously, it never really turned out to be anything, but I remember giving it the large on social media for 'El Tigre' for a few days certain he was going to set the PL alight.

SirScholes

Forlan. His highlight video they showed on sky on somewhere like that, was well before YouTube highlight reels with awful music and all that stuff.

It made him look like he was going to be awesome.

He wasn't.

Since then I don't ever get worked up over any potential signings or YouTube videos of linked players.
Out of al the greats, the signing that excited you the most was forlan? Over Rooney? Haha no chance

Tarrou

Rooney for sure

I had tickets for his debut but he wasn't expected to start iirc, was sat in the corner where he celebrated his first goal - amazing moment

Glorio

Ronaldo
Ji Sung Park!!! I know! But when we were getting schooled by Milan, he was schooling them!
Anderson
Nani
Saha
Tevez
Di Maria

Really? That felt like a bit of a punt to me at the time.
For me it was a bit anti climatic, we were linked all summer with Kluivert.

most excited signing was Veron. First world superstar we signed, after years of being linked with the worlds best and always missing out we got one.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'll be honest I was excited when the Djemba-Djemba transfer was officially announced. Sounded by the reports that we were getting our own Makélélé.

Granted, the YouTube compilations were in their infancy back then so I took every compilation as a truthful and an absolute representation of the player.