Which was better: Van Persie's final season at Arsenal or first season at United?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Same amount of appearances but scored 7 fewer goals in 2012/13 for United.

Won the title with United but arguably he did better individually in his final season at Arsenal.

Some of the goals he was scoring for Arsenal were magnificent, he was burdened by a declining Arsenal team.

I don't know whether getting Arsenal to third or being the key part of a title winning team were more difficult but I will say that he was the best striker in the world at this time

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I remember feeling at the time that his last season for Arsenal was better than that season for us, IIRC he went on his longest goal drought for quite some time during that season for us

That's by no means saying it was a poor season for us though obviously

edcunited1878

Scored more goals, but the pressure of being the player to put United over City was immense, yet he took it in stride.

He also scored goals in big games and big moments. He was able to walking into the team and time and again will them to results.

Threesus

I know arsenal have had some pretty big names at striker position over the years, but I feel like RVP is second only to Thierry Henry in the PL, in terms of ability and peak.

He had no business dragging that Arsenal side into the CL places and us to the title. Hope mason can develop into a comparable player.

TsuWave

he won the league here breh. If anyone asked him he’d take the United season every time

Kane has had a bunch of good individual seasons but the guy is fighting to leave Spurs for a chance at getting crumbs of a trophy

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
RVP in that season for us was absolutely pivotal in our league win. Most players even in their best season have a barren spell.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They look a bit of different players: in Arsenal he had a more mobile role, being a bit all over the place, and played as winger or support striker, depending the game. In here he was leading our front line and he excelled at it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Thread should be ‘last two seasons at Arsenal’. Upsets me how the season before last is often overlooked. He was injured for the first few months of the season and came back in January, and still very nearly won the Golden Boot. He set a new record for consecutive away goals I believe, and scored in pretty much every game in both the league and CL for 5 months.

Incredible player who I don’t think gets his dues. One of the best I’ve ever seen in the PL and the best CF I’ve seen at United personally. Didn’t have a long spell here, but was like a cheat mode in his first season. Hard to say if he was better at United or Arsenal. They both formed part of a ridiculous three year spell for him. Before that spell, he was also world class, but just couldn’t maintain fitness. His goals to games was very good well before then, and they included big/quality goals too - two goals at The Bridge to beat Chelsea, brilliant winner at the Etihad, winner vs United etc.

RooneyLegend

His first half of our season was amazing but he had a complete amazing season for Arsenal. Has to be Arsenal.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He had a period of not scoring or doing much for us, he was brilliant all season for Arsenal the year before.

His season for us was still amazing but definitely not as good.

littleman

I think he peaked at Arsenal's last season and we still got some of the afterglow in his first season with us.

The weird part is how fast he declined. You'd think he'd have a few more years at the top but his decline was similar to Rooney, as in, they still had the name and ran around the field but the productivity just dropped off a cliff. Rooney stayed around for longer because of his legend status but they both essentially had the same downward trajectory.

El Jefe

His best period of form was at United from Aug-December but overall he had a better season for Arsenal in 2011/12. Those first five months at United might be the best I've seen from a striker since I've been watching us. He hit a bad spell just after that but great season nonetheless.

Redfrog

I know the one he prefers and that’s not even close !
Any player would prefer the medal then individual prize. In football, what you win with your tea is the real thing, the only one that matters.

The Cluck

I think he peaked at Arsenal's last season and we still got some of the afterglow in his first season with us.

The weird part is how fast he declined. You'd think he'd have a few more years at the top but his decline was similar to Rooney, as in, they still had the name and ran around the field but the productivity just dropped off a cliff. Rooney stayed around for longer because of his legend status but they both essentially had the same downward trajectory.
I think his heart went out of it when Ferguson retired. No wonder. The little boy inside of him signed for the greatest manager of all time, only to end up with David Moyes after one season.

Robertd0803

I think his heart went out of it when Ferguson retired. No wonder. The little boy inside of him signed for the greatest manager of all time, only to end up with David Moyes after one season.

Wasnt there a rumour that he had a specific training plan he followed under Sir Alex to minimize injuries which worked really well and then Moyes had him training regularly with everyone else and the injuries started up again.

In any case, the last season with Arsenal was great but 12/13 with us was incredible. Bias clouding my view obviously.

The Cluck

Wasnt there a rumour that he had a specific training plan he followed under Sir Alex to minimize injuries which worked really well and then Moyes had him training regularly with everyone else and the injuries started up again.

In any case, the last season with Arsenal was great but 12/13 with us was incredible. Bias clouding my view obviously.
I remember hearing that too. I think Ferguson basically let him train however he wanted in order to be ready for matches. Special treatment for a special player. Ferdinand got similar treatment when he developed his back problems, I think. Then it was one size fits all under Moyes and Van Gaal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definitely his last season at arsenal, though he carried that on until about January or February into our season. Did have an extended period of no goals but he was more unplayable in 2012 in general.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
His final season with Arsenal was better, but he had way more glory with us.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, harsh that. Was incredible under SAF. I can't remember a striker being better for us and so enjoyable to watch than in that title winning season.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Anybody have any idea what the feck was going on after 2:40 in the Arsenal video? :lol:

Leave John Terry flat on his face ✔
Round the keeper ✔
Stick the ball in the empty net ✔
Celebrate by running down the byline doing Heil Hitlers :confused:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Anybody have any idea what the feck was going on after 2:40 in the Arsenal video? :lol:

Round the keeper ✔
Erm.. Good question.

Jimmah

Round the keeper ✔
“It has been brought to my attention of some ridiculous allegations concerning my celebration of one of my goals.

“It is totally ludicrous to suggest that my action of brushing my shoulder could be construed as anything else but a showing of joy and celebration.

“To suggest this meant anything to the contrary is insulting and absolutely absurd as nothing else came into my mind.”

Bwuk

One of my favourite United players ever despite him not playing for us all that long.

Unbelievable. Wish we had him nowadays.

OleBoiii

His output may have been better for Arsenal. His team was also weaker, so that should count as a plus. But the pressure of joining United and then becoming a talisman does kind of even things out. If I recall correctly, he scored more advanced and beautiful goals for us as well.

Another aspect worth noting: while we were a better team than Arsenal, it's not like we were amazing either. Valencia had a really poor season(this was the beginning of the end for him as an attacker) and our midfield frequently featured Cleverley and Jones. Kagawa was decent in his first season, but he clearly hadn't adjusted to the league yet(and he never really did). Not to mention he was injured for over 3 months, so we had to play Welbeck and a severely out of form Nani a lot of the time.

EDIT:
This was our most used front 6:

Valencia - Carrick - Cleverley - Kagawa
------------------------ Rooney -----------------------
-------------------------- RVP --------------------------

No wingers, one proper CM and a no.10 who's biggest strength is scoring goals rather than creating. Yup, RVP did fecking well :lol:

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Individually, I think his last season at Arsenal was marginally, it was insane. But the issue is, I don't think that many United fans (me included) have watched all of his games from 2011/12, while we all saw his performances for us — and, obviously, his impact in us winning the title back, so it's harder to discount it.

The only downside that I can think of was that van Persie underperformed for us in Europe (games against Madrid happened right in the middle of his drought spell, he should've sent us forward with or without Nani's red card). I'm not sure if Arsenal's van Persie would've finished those chances though.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Round the keeper ✔
"Am I the baddy?" Robin Van ThirdReich

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The last two seasons for Arsenal and first season for us were incredible from RvP. Best no.9 in world levels.

RvP after 11/12 +12/13:
96 appearances, 67 goals, 28 assists.
95 G/A in 96 matches.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, as others said, individually he was just insane for us that season. Obviously in terms of what he'd prefer, it was the season at Utd where he won the title.

Such a shame it ended like it did for him at Arsenal. We had a very good team with the years leading up to 2011, we just couldn't get all our best players on the pitch at the same time. Vermaelen, Wilshere, Diaby, Rosicky, Ramsey, Eduardo, Van Persie himself, all players that suffered horror injuries or were out for massive amounts of time. By 2011 I think losing the likes of Fabregas & Nasri was the signalling the end of that team, & Van Persie knew it. The next team built was 2013 with Ozil which could have been great to watch if it was the Van Persie of that era, but by then he was already in a pretty steep downward slope at Utd.

JakeTheRed

An absolute goal machine, two footed, could score with his head & one of the best pure finishers to ever grace the PL.

If we're talking about peak RVP, surely his season at Arsenal was him at his best. Scoring more goals & on a consistent basis, carrying a team that really wasn't very good into third place is a huge feat in itself. His season at United was incredible too, slotting straight into a team that had just lost the league on goal difference, looking like he'd played at United for years. The only reason I give it to his Arsenal season is due to the small drought he had in the 2012/2013 season. It's clutching at straws, though.

He was a hero at United in that 2012/2013 season & I'll never forget that. Brought us United fans a lot of great moments. The winning header to beat Southampton to win 3-2 and seal his hat-trick. The incredible Rooney cross-field assist to Van Persie volley across the keeper vs Villa. Lest we not forget the winning free-kick vs City. Magical player, shame we didn't have him at his peak for longer.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
In terms of individual performance he was better at Arsenal.

But then he joined a better team. A team that was regularly winning league titles. So he then won a league title.

I'm not sure that there's really anything to discuss here.

Aboutreika18

The only downside that I can think of was that van Persie underperformed for us in Europe (games against Madrid happened right in the middle of his drought spell, he should've sent us forward with or without Nani's red card). I'm not sure if Arsenal's van Persie would've finished those chances though.
Even peak 2011/12 van Persie did this in Europe:

It would've put Arsenal level on aggregate...

His season with us. Clearly in my eyes.

He was brought in with huge expectations to be the main man and he delivered. From that first goal against Fulham you know he would be the driving force behind our season. He gave us a lot more than just goals.

Yeah he scored a couple more goals in the last Arsenal season but with no pressure and nothing else attached to it. It was a Kevin Phillips style achievement, just goals.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The year-to-year gaps were negligible, but if I had to rank his peaks as an individual...
  1. Final season at Arsenal: would have been a surefire league-winning contributor for a better organisation; put the club on his back and almost consistently brilliant as a focal point with 50 goals and assists in total. Of course, van Persie wasn't burdened with gargantuan expectations, but he was arguably the finest center forward in club football on his own — along with with someone like Ibrahimović: who had also put together the best season of his career at Milan with 52 goals and assists in total en route to their most recent Serie A title.
  2. First season at United: very, very good as the “final piece" for Fergie — hit the ground running, remarkable difference-maker in crunch moments and clearly his best campaign from a collective standpoint as he fulfilled a long-standing ambition; however a wee bit below par in Europe, and upcoming center forwards like Lewandowski (10 goals in the Champions League for Dortmund), Cavani (top marksman in Serie A with 29 goals) and Suárez (43 goals and assists for the season) were within striking distance by now.
  3. Penultimate season at Arsenal: on the whole, a weaker year than the aforementioned, but a force of nature in the second half with 25 goals and assists in just 20 league matches — who knows what he might have delivered with a full season of fitness (particularly with Nasri also going through a purple patch)?
On a general note, his big-match contributions in the league from that 2½ year window were historically great: 3 goals and assists in 3 matches vs. Manchester United, 6 goals and assists in 5 matches vs. Chelsea, 1 goal and assist in 4 matches vs. Manchester City, 5 goals and assists in 5 matches vs. Liverpool, 2 goals and assists in 2 matches vs. Arsenal, 5 goals and assists in 5 matches vs. Tottenham, and 5 goals and assists in 4 matches vs. Everton.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Even peak 2011/12 van Persie did this in Europe:

It would've put Arsenal level on aggregate...
Yeah, as I’ve said, I’m not sure. But still, he had a very bad spell for us with 1 goal in 10 games between the end of January and the middle of April, when he rediscovered his previous form and, sadly, right in the middle of it were the ties against Madrid that we should’ve won. His 11/12 season was a bit more consistent throughout the year.

I don’t hold it against him though. It was a brilliant season and one of the last truly magical seasons by any United player — only De Gea in 2017/18 (this one gets a bit forgotten because of his later shortcomings) and maybe Bruno (a certain yes over the 2020 calendar year, but his full season may fall a bit short of the truly magical status).

SoCross

What a player he was for us. Incredible. Surely in the discussion for one of best PL era forwards. Such a shame it was only one season for us.

That goal against Villa!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What a player he was for us. Incredible. Surely in the discussion for one of best PL era forwards. Such a shame it was only one season for us.

That goal against Villa!
If not for injuries I think Van Persie would have become one of the top Premier League scorers of all time.

He averaged 1 goal every 2 games in the Premier League which is no small feat after 280 appearances.

SoCross

If not for injuries I think Van Persie would have become one of the top Premier League scorers of all time.

He averaged 1 goal every 2 games in the Premier League which is no small feat after 280 appearances.
Didn’t Fergie try to sign him as as youngster or am I imagining that? Beautiful tekkers on the man.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
His last season with Arsenal was a thing of beauty. And if the schmuck had stayed for another year he could easily have won us the title instead of Utd.