Which was the better signing - Mata or Fellaini?

Which has been the better signing so far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiber

The question is absurd. It's obviously Mata.

Though if the choice was between Fellaini and Mata's blogs? I might still pick Mata

AndyMUFC

Mata for sure. He's maybe not hit the heights of his Chelsea days but he's still been more consistent than Fellaini, who has been effective in fits and starts.

To be honest, neither has been amazing but we've had worse than both.

Loublaze

ATLien
Im surprised this is even being asked. Mata and its not even close

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
E) boue

Both have stank the place out as far as I’m concerned.

Can’t wait to see Mata follow him out the door and then the entire Moyes era will finally be over.

Both simply do not fit the style of Manchester United and have been a curse on the club since their arrivals.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well no, that's patently false and a reductionist way to enter a discussion. Whether you like him or not (I don't), Fellaini is a player who has given the opposition far more to think about than Mata has in his time here, been utilised in many a donkeyish way as an important conduit we've utilised time and again and has enabled others to play. If you're going to be objective, you take that into account. If you're not, then you make your own view redundant.
Well, yes. It's spot on and sums up the underlying cause of many of the views very well. I mean, it's redundant to cry foul over objectivity when you aren't privy to whether I have taken that into account or not. PS - I have.

Look these things do play a part in people formulating these views. You're taking it rather personally whereas it's only natural to feel that way.

As for the actual point raised, Fellaini has often made an impact for us and effectively being used as a tool to force opponent to feel uncomfortable. However this is clearly interlinked with him being a "Plan B" or "Curve ball" thrown by is at teams which sometimes works and sometimes fails. It does not inherently mean that he's better than a footballer who isn't a curveball, and a slam-bam impact does not always mean a better contribution. Peter Crouch also made teams think differently but that doesn't necessarily mean players who didn't, were necessarily lesser contributers/of lower importance than him.

All in all, I do like Fellaini's mentality and appreciate the odd times he allowed us to shock our opponents, but the downsides of his game were far too significant. On the other hand, while Mata was disappointed he operated on a much standard rendering the comparison rather pointless. Even a disappointing Mata, for me, comfortably beats Fellaini.

On the 'donkey' point, let's be honest here. We didn't 'misuse' Fellaini like a donkey and that's the actual point. His best qualities fit that style of play and this is clear to everybody who watches him play. The rest of his game is far too mediocre for his best utilisation to be of any other way. Not that it didn't help us, but let's not pretend he's had to deal with any sort of mis treatment. His actual midfield play is absolutely terrible. His SS/disruption play can be effective.

cyril C

None of the above. None have any real impact to the squad that you will miss any of them at all. The only success under Moyes is Herrera who was identified during Moyes time. Under LVG were loads of disaster, only Depay, Di Maria would be missed, and perhaps Martial was the only correct signing although he wasn't cheap.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
None of the above. None have any real impact to the squad that you will miss any of them at all. The only success under Moyes is Herrera who was identified during Moyes time. Under LVG were loads of disaster, only Depay, Di Maria would be missed, and perhaps Martial was the only correct signing although he wasn't cheap.
Romero was a great signing under LvG

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Should be two questions. Who is the better player? Mata obviously. Which player has had more of an impact? Fellaini I reckon. Mata has been unfortunate in playing for managers who didn’t utilise him properly with an attacking team therefore The style of football United played at the time suited Fellaini better. If Mata was signing now for us in this current attacking team, then he would undoubtedly be the more influential.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why are they even considered close? They’ve both scored significant game changing goals

Why is it absurdly not even close? Fellaini generally both directly and indirectly caused us to have a horrible habit of poor football when the going gets tough. He didn’t have significant qualities to really provide anything in a starting 11 and most of his use came through impact odd long ball last 20 minute which also coincided with the worst football period ever seen by Manchester United. Mata scored game changing and winning goals out of nothing like fellaini but even though he’s rather unremarkable as a starting 11 he doesn’t debilitate us as fellaini does. Not even close. Just ffs don’t play mata on the right wing with young if we’re set up to break with pace.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Why are they even considered close? They’ve both scored significant game changing goals

Why is it absurdly not even close? Fellaini generally both directly and indirectly caused us to have a horrible habit of poor football when the going gets tough. He didn’t have significant qualities to really provide anything in a starting 11 and most of his use came through impact odd long ball last 20 minute which also coincided with the worst football period ever seen by Manchester United. Mata scored game changing and winning goals out of nothing like fellaini but even though he’s rather unremarkable as a starting 11 he doesn’t debilitate us as fellaini does. Not even close. Just ffs don’t play mata on the right wing with young if we’re set up to break with pace.
Fellaini was a key part of that run under LVG in his first season which remains our best period of football since SAF retired, Ole possibly on his way to eclipsing that. But Fellaini was magnificent in that 4-2 win over City, great against Spurs and Liverpool too. He had his part to play and he bounced back from some of the worst treatment from the fans I've seen a player at this club receive after his first season. Him and Young showed serious balls after the Moyes season. He deserves credit, he always gave it everything.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Voted Mata. But really don't care about him one way or the other, if he starts or not, here or not..meh.. Watching Fellaini actually made me angry

Roboc7

Fellaini was a key part of that run under LVG in his first season which remains our best period of football since SAF retired, Ole possibly on his way to eclipsing that. But Fellaini was magnificent in that 4-2 win over City, great against Spurs and Liverpool too. He had his part to play and he bounced back from some of the worst treatment from the fans I've seen a player at this club receive after his first season. Him and Young showed serious balls after the Moyes season. He deserves credit, he always gave it everything.
He got booed twice by a section of the fans not sure where this myth that he suffered so much adversity has come from or why he deserves any credit for it.

A midtable player who performed like a midtable player, some very good moments, some shocking ones but overall simply not good enough.

Mata has never hit heights of Chelsea days and looks way off the pace now, overall he has been a better player than Fellaini for us. Neither has deserved to stick around so long though, been plenty of others even less deserving though I suppose.

Bobski

Neither was the right type of player for Utd.

Perhaps many expected more from Mata but to me he has always been a poor mans David Silva, more of a goalscorer but lacking the creative passing or ability to take the ball under pressure and turn away from his man. Clever player, but limited physically and without that touch of genius to make up for those limitations. He was the start of that period of Utd panicking and throwing money at names hoping star power could fix things.

Fellaini had to go. He has had his moments in recent seasons but little encapsulates Utd's fall more than our reliance on him. Instead of building a team and style 3 different managers found it easier to just load it to the big lad at the back post, medieval football. That option had to be removed.

Suedesi

Fellaini's best years were under Louis van Gaal when he was used in a very unorthodox fashion as an advanced midfield target man. United would go long to Fellaini and he would hold the ball up in a deep, central position. While not pretty, it was effective and on a number of occasions came to United's rescue when causing havoc in the box.

Thankfully, we've moved on from those days.

Walters_19_MuFc

Both have had their stand out games, but id have to say Fellaini.

Mata, apart from Liverpool game, doesnt really play in the 'big' games, whereas Fellaini, more often than not, played in most of them and often made a big impact.

Will never forget that little run under Van Gaal where he dominated Spurs, Pool and City.

Dinghy

Voted for Fellaini just because how overrated Mata is amongst most United-fans. Never seen a player get as much praise for doing basically feck all in games.

RedNed77

Fellaini

Truth be told we've very rarely played either in their best position - Fellaini as a number 9, Mata as a number 10 (although the idea of those two playing together in those positions sends shivers down my spine) so given that we've played neither in their best position it comes down to who's done the best in the roles they've been asked to play. Mata's done better against the cannon fodder but it feels like Fellaini has had more big moments so for that I'll give him the nod
Fellaini as a Duncan Ferguson style target man with Mata as a Peter Beardsley style no 10 in a traditional 4-4-2 would have been a thing of beauty during the late 80's early 90's. It kind of makes me wish we'd have tried this at some point :(.

RedNed77

A equally good question would be who was the better signing, Di Maria or Fellaini. Both were mercenaries, one substantially better than the other, but I cant imagine there are many true united fans who would take the cowardly rat over Fellaini. Fecking hope we stuff PSG in the CL just to laugh at that spineless cnut.

That, was a shit signing.

Last edited:

AndyJ1985

A equally good question would be who was the better signing, Di Maria or Fellaini. Both were mercenaries, one substantially better than the other, but I cant imagine there are many true united fans who would take the cowardly rat over Fellaini. Fecking hope we stuff PSG in the CL just to laugh at that spineless cnut. That, was a shit signing.
Di Maria is the worst signing in the history of our club. Fellaini is a legend compared to that odious prick

hobbers

Can't have people lumping Fellaini in with absolute turd signings like Di Maria. A guy who literally gave up on his career at this club in the middle of a match. One of the weakest minded players in the history of the game.

Fellaini and Mata actually have tons of similarities as signings. Both panic buys in the Moyes era. Both regularly played out of their best positions by all of our managers. Both always give their all on the pitch and never complained off it. Both have scored some incredibly important goals. Neither meet the blueprint of a United player in terms of the sort of style we should be looking to play. Neither should have been signed in hindsight.

El Jefe

Fellaini slightly.

Mata has been extremely underwhelming in his time here. When we bought him, we were expecting him to be the catalyst for change in our team but 5 years down the line he's failed to come close to those expectations.

We thought he'd be our Silva but he's been closer to Gylfi Sigurdsson in his time here.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Since Fergie left, no player has frustrated me more than Mata.

Is Mata the better player? Easily but I believe Fellaini hit expectations whereas Mata has underachieved

HackeyC

Mata marginally but in fairness to Fellaini he did a job whenever he came on. Sometimes you need that type of player who does the ugly work when your back is against the wall. For that reason I have no issues with him in his time with United. He did what was expected of him but copped a lot of grief, most of which was due to the fact that we bought him a time when we needed someone more dynamic.

Will Singh

I think Fellaini not being your normal UTD player has a biased against him, yes Mata is a much better player but for what each players role is Fellaini delivered I'm not sure I could say the same for Mata. Personally I think he's not strong enough for the PL and during LVG's term here he got shoved off the ball like a adult taking the ball off a toddler!

starman

Fellaini for me, he is the best at what he does. Did it at Everton and when required did it at United.

Mata at Chelsea was one of the best players in the league, he's never been anywhere near that at United

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Mata marginally but in fairness to Fellaini he did a job whenever he came on. Sometimes you need that type of player who does the ugly work when your back is against the wall. For that reason I have no issues with him in his time with United. He did what was expected of him but copped a lot of grief, most of which was due to the fact that we bought him a time when we needed someone more dynamic.
This is actually a myth, there has been many times where he came on and did nothing, and most of the games where he starts he offers nothing. I suppose part of that is down to the tactical instructions hes given , when he stays in midfield he offers nothing but clumsy fouls and sideway passes, but when he bombs forward he can be a threat in the box. It's just that whenever he did contribute it was usually when we were chasing the game and people tend to remember it.

BlakeUtd

Are people saying Fellaini trolling :lol:
I sincerely can't believe people are considering it. Mata by mile. For instance just checked and Mata has 32 goals for us in the league and Fellaini has 12. And the "important goals" argument doesn't stick as Mata has definitely scored as many if not more important goals for us than Fella. True Mata has been a weak link for us and has never really been consistent but he's still been one of our most creative forwards. Fellaini has done his part as well but i don't think you can compare their achievements or influence. Mata might be one of those who even end up serving the club in the future.

Moriarty

To be honest, I thought Mata might have left also during this window. As much as I like him, his preferred number 10 position is taken and he's not really as effective out wide. Too good to be a bit-part player here so maybe he'll return to Spain.

AndyJ1985

To be honest, I thought Mata might have left also during this window. As much as I like him, his preferred number 10 position is taken and he's not really as effective out wide. Too good to be a bit-part player here so maybe he'll return to Spain.
He really isn't

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
He’s not even good enough to be a bit part player here.

MrSingh2002

Neither signing made any sense at the time but both gave their all and have delivered in their own way. Both brought committment and personality to the team.

I think both did well in difficult circumstances and tough managers to work under.