Which youth product(s) will breakthrough next season?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
There seems to be an array of young talent coming through at the right time for a new regime who may be more inclined to giving the youngsters a chance. So who do we think will take their chance this season?

Garnacho, Shoretire, Garner, Mejbri, Iqbal, Fish, McNeill, to name a few.

I personally believe we will see quite a few feature regularly, and certainly will if things don’t pick up in the market.

jem

There seems to be an array of young talent coming through at the right time for a new regime who may be more inclined to giving the youngsters a chance. So who do we think will take their chance this season?

Garnacho, Shoretire, Garner, Mejbri, Iqbal, Fish, McNeill, to name a few.

I personally believe we will see quite a few feature regularly, and certainly will if things don’t pick up in the market.
Mejbri Garnacho? Mejbri Shoretime? Then again, Mejbri not.

Based Adnan

Garner and Garnacho will for sure be given a chance. Whether they take it or not is a different question. I think you could probably add Mejbri to that as well but that depends on whether Ten Hag has question marks over his temperament or not.

I imagine the rest won't be given a chance outside of an app or two at best this season.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Garner, Mejbri, Garnacho seem best placed. Mejbri and Garner most advanced. Think Fernandez looks a real talent but signing of Malacia probably puts him out on loan.

2 or 3 years ago I said that Garner was the best player in our academy, and most likely to succeed. His football intelligence and well rounded skill set seemingly positioned him as the one best equipped to handle the transition to the mens game. I don’t know if I’d still make that prediction today, but in ETH he has the perfect coach for the sort of possession based, pass and move football that I think he excels at. A player with not only an excellent passing range, and astute positioning, but one with a hammer of a shot. He also has a full season of men’s football at a successful side, to prepare him for the physical elements.

So I’ll stick with my prediction and say Garner.

SAFMUTD

I can't see anyone at the moment to be honest. I don't think we currently hold a really talented generation at this particular point.

bringbackbebe

Can see Garner, Mejbri, Shoretire, Fernandez, Garnacho & (Savage or Iqbal) take up squad positions at least as backups.

I can't see anyone at the moment to be honest. I don't think we currently hold a really talented generation at this particular point.
We just convincingly won the FA youth cup. You seriously think there's no player in that team who can make it?

SAFMUTD

Can see Garner, Mejbri, Shoretire, Fernandez, Garnacho & (Savage or Iqbal) take up squad positions at least as backups.

We just convincingly won the FA youth cup. You seriously think there's no player in that team who can make it?
In 2-3 years hopefully 2 or 3 will, but I'm talking about next season like the thread says if I understand correctly.

Realistically none of the youngsters have the level to be a starter, the closest one may be Garner but still it's a long shot.

NoPace

I haven’t seen anywhere near enough of them all to have an opinion but it seems like Garnacho would be the only one who could move for like 25M and it wouldn’t be surprising, right? Scoring goals for Argentina U-20 at 18. They haven’t been lacking for goalscorers for a while. He seems to have special one on one skills.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Garnacho and Garner.

Garner has couple of seasons at professional level, so he is in better position than other young players. Also we don't have good quality in midfield. So it's a position where he can get chances.

Garnacho because we don't have good numbers in attacking position.

I want to say Mejbri too but playing 3 young players is bit unrealistic. Hopefully these 3 get few games.

DevilRed

Mejibri is the most ready of them all. Followed closely by Garner.

But Gnarcho is probably the one to look out for. He looks a dead cert in the next couple years.

Would love to see McNeil and Hughill eventually too. Two top tier youth strikers. Something we havent' had in forever.

Red Rash

As always I think this is super hard to predict because the step up to first team is so huge. If I had to guess I'd say the following players are most likely:

Garner - now has first team experience at a good level and midfield is a problem position even if we sign FDJ

Hannibal - has international experience and one of the most highly rated youngsters we have

Garnacho - super highly rated and covers one of our problem areas which is wide positions where we currently have limited options. We could potentially use him on the left and shift Sancho to the right

Amad - ok maybe cheating a bit as he isn't a youth product but he seems way too talented to play under 23s and could also fix an issue on the right wing

wolvored

In the media its saying TH surprised Iqbal hasnt played for first team

JJ12

I think Shoretire is going to have a surprise breakout - whether with us or on loan.

justsomebloke

It would really, really help if one of the youngsters up front or in midfield could fill a squad slot that implied playing occasionally. And I think they will get the chance - often, it's tough to free up space for them but right now we're short of bodies on the flank, at striker and in central midfield. I'm hoping maybe one or more of Garnacha, Pellistri, Garner. Elanga did it last year, so why not?

Bertie Wooster

It's hard to tell until we know which areas we end up short in after the window closes.

Aside from Elanga - who himself may drop down the pecking order under a new manager - it's likely to be out of Laird, Garner, Mejbri and Garnacho.

Garner (and Laird) have got the most experience out of those. But I can see one or both going out on a PL loan to get, hopefully, regular top flight experience. If we bring in Eriksen and De Jong, to go with Fred, McTominay, VDB and Fernandes, then CM isn't going to be an area where we're short with a vacancy for a youngster to fill. So probably better for Garner to go on a PL loan?

Mejbri and Garnacho are both less experienced in senior club football. Garnacho still new to U23's. But if we're short up front, and Rashford and / or Martial have to play centrally more often - or just fail to recover their form - then there could be more opportunities in the front three for the likes of Garnacho and Elanga than in other areas?

Dazzmondo

I think Garnacho and Garner will both get decent mins. Doubt anyone else will

saik

I know he's not exactly our youth product, but I really hope Amad gets a chance in the first team next season.

I believe he has the same ceiling as Antony does and so if he comes good we may not need to spend whatever insane fees Ajax are demanding for Antony.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Garner Amad and Hannibal with Shola about 6-8 months behind them. They are being primed for it for the last two years since Ole. Out of the FAYC winners I’d say Garnacho is the obvious call. Obviously not all of them will make it here but I can see the players mentioned above getting minutes here and there and in the EL etc.

EricEricDjembaDjemba

What about Teden Mengi- what was the consensus of his loans with Derby and Birmingham? He was talked about quite a bit as a future first team starter a couple years ago.

JJ12

Iqbal looked very good today, add him to the list of potential breakthroughs

MrBest

Based on today, only iqbal. Savage is good but needs a loan, amad too as well as Elanga. Pellistri confuses me, I really don't know where and how to put him.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Look back through previous winning teams and see where the players are now, for any side.
it’s naive to believe that winning anything at youth level translates to mens football. Chelsea dominated the youth cup for years and only a couple of players made it.

Winning it a single time means nothing but congratulations none the less. Half the players listed in this thread will be loaned out.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Look back through previous winning teams and see where the players are now, for any side.
it’s naive to believe that winning anything at youth level translates to mens football. Chelsea dominated the youth cup for years and only a couple of players made it.

Winning it a single time means nothing but congratulations none the less. Half the players listed in this thread will be loaned out.
Historically United and Chelsea are two different kettles of fish in terms of integrating youth players into the first team, there's nothing wrong with that as both academies have served different purposes over the years. Statistically from United's FA youth cup winning sides a good portion make it to PL level, @Mr. MUJAC had the actual numbers but it was somewhere around 30% which I think is impressive whatever way you slice it.

Tallis

Unfortunately, I struggle to see any big breakthroughs in the senior team. But some may flourish on loan - Amad or Mejbri if he is given a loan.

SAFMUTD

one year ago I saw Amad as the closest one, but he hasn't developed at all. Not visible at least, he still looks skinny, weak and slow.

Sadly I doubt he'll develop to the physical standard required for the premier league.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am calling it; Zidane will be big player for us. He bought me totally today.

But my last padawan was Chong so i know shit :wenger:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Historically United and Chelsea are two different kettles of fish in terms of integrating youth players into the first team, there's nothing wrong with that as both academies have served different purposes over the years. Statistically from United's FA youth cup winning sides a good portion make it to PL level, @Mr. MUJAC had the actual numbers but it was somewhere around 30% which I think is impressive whatever way you slice it.
35% of all players from United’s FA Youth Cup teams play in the first team. 40% play in the top flight. 70% play league football.

So if you play for United in the FA Youth Cup you have a 70% chance of making it in league football.

It’s the best record of any British club.

Already Garnacho, Mejbri, Elanga, Fish, Shoretire, Iqbal, Savage, Mengi, Laird, Garner, Bernard, Galbraith have reached the first team. Will they all be regulars? No. The maths don’t work.

History tells us more will come through to contribute.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
35% of all players from United’s FA Youth Cup teams play in the first team. 40% play in the top flight. 70% play league football.

So if you play for United in the FA Youth Cup you have a 70% chance of making it in league football.

It’s the best record of any British club.

Already Garnacho, Mejbri, Elanga, Fish, Shoretire, Iqbal, Savage, Mengi, Laird, Garner, Bernard, Galbraith have reached the first team. Will they all be regulars? No. The maths don’t work.

History tells us more will come through to contribute.
Cheers for the insight, always interesting to read your posts.

bringbackbebe

What's going to make a difference this time is there is an opportunity to step up for some of these players that has not existed for us in the last couple of decades (same with Chelsea). The squad is so miserable that some of these players are going to be used as backups purely out of pragmatic necessity rather than an agenda.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
What's going to make a difference this time is there is an opportunity to step up for some of these players that has not existed for us in the last couple of decades (same with Chelsea). The squad is so miserable that some of these players are going to be used as backups purely out of pragmatic necessity rather than an agenda.

The original post is misleading. It might be true for Chelsea and other clubs but United have always had very good success with youth cup winning teams. Our team in 2011 for example:

Sam Johnstone - 300+ first team appearances and England international
Michael Keane - 300+ first team appearances and England international
Jesse Lingard - 300 first team appearances and England international
Paul Pogba - 300+ first team appearances, French International
Ravel Morrison 150+ first team appearances and Jamacian international
Will Keane - 200+ first team appearances and Irish international

Ryan Tunnicliffe - 150+ first team appearances
Tyler Blackett - 150+ first team appearances
Michele Fornasier - 150+ first team appearances

In addition two of the subs in that Cup run:

Tom Lawrence - 300+ first team appearances and Welsh international
Mats Daehli - 200+ first team appearances and Norwegian international

This isn't a one-off for United either. So there is nothing naive in suggesting that players in Youth Cup winning teams will go on to decent (and more than decent) careers...at least at United.