Who’s the penalty taker when/if Bruno, Pogba and Rashford are all fit?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
People in this thread acting as if Rashford wasn't our regular penalty taker and hardly missed. It's fine if other players take penalties and free kicks. This random deifying of Bruno on these boards is starting to get out of hand. There seems to be this urge to downplay everyone else and their contribution for some odd reasons. I personally don't see any issue with a good penalty taker, feeling confident taking penalties. Ole has already said we don't necessarily have a single designated penalty taker and whoever from the better taker feels confident can take it. I don't see any issue with that.

MartinRed

Respectfully disagree. We are in do-or-die type of situation in all remaining matches. Every goal is important (even from GD perspective). This is not the time to be generous and take a chance. Bruno has the best record, then he should take them.
Of course you are right, but there is no guarantee that he won't miss occasionally.As for Pogba I don't think he should take penalties at all.

SAFMUTD

We've been given 23 penalties in the last two season, from those we have scored 16. 69% which is without a doubt a poor number, we should be near 90%. I would let Bruno take them since he has hardly missed in his career, then Rashford and at last Pogba.

Revan

Assumptionman
We've been given 23 penalties in the last two season, from those we have scored 16. 69% which is without a doubt a poor number, we should be near 90%. I would let Bruno take them since he has hardly missed in his career, then Rashford and at last Pogba.
69% is really bad. I think that 90% is very hard to achieve, but 80% should be totally doable.

SAFMUTD

69% is really bad. I think that 90% is very hard to achieve, but 80% should be totally doable.
Bruno has taken 23 penalties and converted 21, thats a 91% effectiveness. Rashford has completed 12 from 14 attempts, a 85% effectiveness. While Pogba has scored 13 from 18 attempts 72%, I think as long as we let Bruno or Rashford take the penalties 90% is perfectly achievable.

jlecesne

I don't think Rashford is getting enough credit. He's a really good penalty taker and he hardly put a foot wrong until his miss against Norwich. (I give him a pass for the one he smashed off the post against palace).

I think Bruno just edges him out but its closer than people will admit.

Pogba? Stay away

Alemar

Bruno must take all and any of them if he is on the pitch, period. For as long as he converts, he must continue, without letting Rashford (or anyone else) taking some.

Withnail

There’s a big difference between his what I would call confident penalty’s like he believed he’s going to score vs PSG & Columbia

To his pen vs Bournemouth which I think laced confidence and he hoped he’s going to score

Watch from the 1 minute mark
I think you're reading way too much into that and possibly seeing what you want to see.

His run up is different as he is planning on placing it rather than blasting it.

Maybe he's been practicing them differently during lockdown or he doesn't trust himself to hit them with that much power yet after his injury but he didn't look like he was lacking confidence in the run up to me.

Micky Targaryen

I am of the opinion that there should always be one designated penalty taker i.e Bruno. Unless we have a player on a brace and chasing a hattrick, I'd be happy to let him take the penalty. :cool:

norm87cro

Since he hasn't missed yet it has to be Bruno. Aldo I don't like his style. Rashford second, Pogba third

dove

Why is Pogba even mentioned? He is not a good penalty taker, wouldn’t have him even in penalty shootout.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah have to agree. I'm more and more of a Pogba fan but not for pens really. 4th choice for me and a ways behind Bruno and Rashford. Greenwood might be good but a bit unfair to try him in any pressure situations just yet.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Of course you are right, but there is no guarantee that he won't miss occasionally.As for Pogba I don't think he should take penalties at all.
Pogba should have the duty after Rashford. Fernandes should take when one of them allows him too.

He came and found them taking penalties, at any other club, Madrid for instance that would have caused some smoke behind the scenes. But Pogba and Rashford are overly nice. I don't care what type of run in we are in the manager should stick to his original takers.

1) Fernandes
2) Rashford
3) Martial

5) Pogba
1) Rashford
2) Pogba
3) Martial
4)Greenwood
5)Fernandes

Bruno must take all and any of them if he is on the pitch, period. For as long as he converts, he must continue, without letting Rashford (or anyone else) taking some.
Like he must take all the freekicks? This worship and overrating of this player over everyone else, will soon end.

I am of the opinion that there should always be one designated penalty taker i.e Bruno. Unless we have a player on a brace and chasing a hattrick, I'd be happy to let him take the penalty. :cool:
It should be based on seniority and conversion rate second, therefore it should Rashford then Paul and then Martial.

Scenes when Bruno misses the next one he takes
Agreed.

People in this thread acting as if Rashford wasn't our regular penalty taker and hardly missed. It's fine if other players take penalties and free kicks. This random deifying of Bruno on these boards is starting to get out of hand. There seems to be this urge to downplay everyone else and their contribution for some odd reasons. I personally don't see any issue with a good penalty taker, feeling confident taking penalties. Ole has already said we don't necessarily have a single designated penalty taker and whoever from the better taker feels confident can take it. I don't see any issue with that.
Best for last, good stuff.

Rafaeldagold

It’s not great management to just let your players do what they want with pens is it? Bruno is our best pen taker & should be our designated taker.

Not sure Ole is tough enough as a manager to dictate things like that which is a bit worrying

Web of Bissaka

How confident are you?
Bruno -- 90%
Rashford -- 60% (sometimes he take it with high confidence posture, so 70%)
Pogba -- 55%

Martial -- 45%
Pereira -- 80% (the way he took it is just convincing)
De Gea -- 0%

Dread Devil

I think we are rotating for three reasons...

1) To keep the opposition keepers on their toes.

2) So that when we have penalty shoot outs, we will have lots of players comfortable with taking penalties in pressure situations.

3) To create a bond between the strikers. I hope Greenwood becomes part of the rotation.

If not, Bruno all the way.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Pogba should have the duty after Rashford. Fernandes should take when one of them allows him too.

He came and found them taking penalties, at any other club, Madrid for instance that would have caused some smoke behind the scenes. But Pogba and Rashford are overly nice. I don't care what type of run in we are in the manager should stick to his original takers.

1) Rashford
2) Pogba
3) Martial
4)Greenwood
5)Fernandes

Like he must take all the freekicks? This worship and overrating of this player over everyone else, will soon end.

It should be based on seniority and conversion rate second, therefore it should Rashford then Paul and then Martial.

Agreed.

Best for last, good stuff.
Such a strange post...