Who’s the penalty taker when/if Bruno, Pogba and Rashford are all fit?

Doracle

I think with pens it’s beginning to look like Ole doesn’t have a first choice pen taker, or if he does the players don’t listen to him.

Kinda odd Bruno didn’t take our last one, great pen taker, never misses but Rashford has it? Which wasn’t the best pen either.. I don’t know, just unsure on the players just choosing on the day. Feel like a manager should say ‘ Bruno you’re clearly our best pen taker, you are our designated taker’
I’d have had Bruno taking it but it was a very good penalty. The keeper didn’t commit himself so striking it perfectly along the ground into the corner was great technique. Even though the keeper went the right way, it was too well struck for him.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I’d have had Bruno taking it but it was a very good penalty. The keeper didn’t commit himself so striking it perfectly along the ground into the corner was great technique. Even though the keeper went the right way, it was too well struck for him.
Best way to take a pen, hard and low into the corner.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I reckon Bruno will take the considerable amount of pens.
I think Rashford just really wanted / needed that goal yesterday

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bruno seems to have zero ego about him, yet still the confidence in himself. Perfect mix.

Selflessly letting Rashy score the pen as he needed it.

fps

Not Pogba.

Should be Bruno, then Rashford.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why is this up for debate? Did Ole again say something about the players deciding in the spur of the moment? I only thought Marcus took it yesterday to get his confidence going - that Bruno "allowed" him to. Surely it's Bruno as a default.

Doracle

Why is this up for debate? Did Ole again say something about the players deciding in the spur of the moment? I only thought Marcus took it yesterday to get his confidence going - that Bruno "allowed" him to. Surely it's Bruno as a default.
The score was 1-1 at the time, so it would be madness if this was true. I presume Marcus, now he’s fit, is the de facto first choice penalty taker.

Revan

Assumptionman
Bruno seems to have zero ego about him, yet still the confidence in himself. Perfect mix.

Unfortunately, it didn't look that he 'let' Rashford take the penalty. More like Rashford decided to take the penalty, same as he did against Spurs (at 1-1, with a few minutes remaining), though of course the penalty got revoked from VAR.

Which is kind of bizarre. Rashford is good at them, but Bruno is better. There is no need to share penalties, one Bruno, one Rashford as it seems is right now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unfortunately, it didn't look that he 'let' Rashford take the penalty. More like Rashford decided to take the penalty, same as he did against Spurs (at 1-1, with a few minutes remaining), though of course the penalty got revoked from VAR.

Which is kind of bizarre. Rashford is good at them, but Bruno is better. There is no need to share penalties, one Bruno, one Rashford as it seems is right now.
Maybe it's been agreed between them behind the scenes, as Ole has seemed quite casual about it in the past.

Obvs no problem at all when it hits the onion bag!

Mcking

I'm of the opinion that a single player should take every pen. I have no problem with Rashford taking them, but if he is to take them, then he's got to be taking everyone.

He is a forward, so taking them will help his stats, and I'm a fan of his technique too.

lysglimt

Scout
With Martial, Greenwood, Rashford; Bruno and Pogba on the pitch - I would rate our chances against anyone in a penalty shoot-out

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Found it odd Rashford took it, but I do agree with the logic that if you have 3 very good penalty takers on the pitch, no one needs static assignment. They can go for whoever most confident at the time.

lsd

The Oracle
Was surprised Rashford took the penalty especially as the score was one each and while he scored not sure i like that it happened .

Seemed a bit arrogant to do something like that at a crucial point of the game . If we were three goals up then sure but all square ? I think Ole should have a word and make sure everyone on the team knows who is the penalty taker and not to just chop and change like that

Brightonian

I really think Bruno is our regular taker and probably Rashford asked him for this one and he agreed because it's so clearly important for the team to get Rashford's scoring boots back on him. Which is totally fine by me, as Rashford himself is a respectable penalty taker.

Skills

Snitch
Yep, this is the thing where Ole should intervene. Rashford is good at pens, but Bruno is one of the best at it. No reason to divide the penalties between them.
I mean the question is why wasn't this already decided before they even walked out onto the pitch? It's mental that our coach has such a laissez-faire attitude towards this.

Do they also decide on the spot, who'll go up for corners? Or who'll be taking the free kicks?

Skills

Snitch
I'm of the opinion that a single player should take every pen. I have no problem with Rashford taking them, but if he is to take them, then he's got to be taking everyone.

He is a forward, so taking them will help his stats, and I'm a fan of his technique too.
So why doesn't Martial take them? He scores more open play and add in a few penalties (even at a lower conversion rate) he'd be in the hunt for the golden boot.

lsd

The Oracle
I really think Bruno is our regular taker and probably Rashford asked him for this one and he agreed because it's so clearly important for the team to get Rashford's scoring boots back on him. Which is totally fine by me, as Rashford himself is a respectable penalty taker.

Yeah but it was one each and he had an hour or more to get a goal from open play. Unless he is going to take every penalty from now on and it was agreed upon before the game it really shouldnt have happened

paulscholes18

Such a horrible and nervy run up from Rashford, a far cry from his confident one vs PSG, honestly thought he was going to miss. Should be Bruno, understand why Rashford took it, but he shouldn’t have

Eire Red United

Bruno probably first choice at the minute but Rashford is excellent at them and did need a goal yesterday just to keep himself scoring. Pogba should be nowhere near.

-Supreme-

Such a horrible and nervy run up from Rashford, a far cry from his confident one vs PSG, honestly thought he was going to miss. Should be Bruno, understand why Rashford took it, but he shouldn’t have
Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed it, I think he tried to be too clever with his run by trying to look where the goalie was diving but didn't succeed, luckily his shot had accuracy as the keeper saw it coming.

Mcking

So why doesn't Martial take them? He scores more open play and add in a few penalties (even at a lower conversion rate) he'd be in the hunt for the golden boot.
It will most likely remain a mystery. Maybe Rashford is viewed as the better penalty taker or maybe more like a spread of responsibility. Martial gets to lead the line, while Rashford takes the penalties.

mu4c_20le

Yeah I knew something was off at the time but I'm glad this has been confirmed by caf body language experts.

Nickelodeon

I hope the penalty against Bournemouth was a one-off. We absolutely shouldn't take Bruno off penalties, he's by far the best we have. Rashford just doesn't inspire that level of confidence.

MartinRed

I think one should take them until he miss them the other one until he miss and that is how they'll rotate.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I don't see the issue with having different penalty takers? Surely it's better to have to keep the keeper guessing who he will face before the penalty.

Doracle

On the basis that Marcus was also going to take the 2nd one against Spurs, I’m guessing that they’ve currently agreed that he and Bruno alternate. Will be interesting to see who takes the next one which, on that theory, should be Bruno. Id probably prefer Bruno taking them currently but I’ve no real issue with that as Marcus’ record is also very good.

I disagree that Rashford’s run up was nervous. I thought he looked very confident, watched the keeper the whole time and then stroked an unstoppable penalty into the corner.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Just a reminder that we already dropped points because of it. That two points could result with us losing CL. Ole must cut this anarchy about it. Yes, i know that when things go well it looks like how our players are all friends and that and that we have good mood in squad but it could be costly (like it did).

Enough is enough. If it is 3.0 or 4.0 then ok, give it to AWB or Dave to score because it is their birthday or they got a baby or something. But when game is tied best pk MUST take it without any conversation with others. I am personally very pissed on Rashford here.
:lol:

I'm torn. Earlier in the season I was firmly in your camp i.e. the policy of the players choosing among themselves on the pitch is horseshit, designate a rigid hierarchy of takers that can change when a penalty is missed. However though I'd probably still prefer designation, as I just hate the spectacle of two players fighting over the ball and so want to minimise that possibility, I'm starting to see the pros of a grown-up conversation between Rashford, Bruno and maybe Pogba. I doubt it would ever be the case but if one of those players didn't fancy a penalty, maybe they'd taken a bit of a knock during a game or they'd been involved in an incident that had fecked with their head a little bit, I'd prefer someone else having the licence to step up rather than that player thinking they had to take the penalty. It could also be a certain keeper may be percieved to be more vulnerable to a given technique, many something Rashy has been working on that Bruno hasn't etc.

It's a whatever works thing for me, if we're putting them away I'm less bothered how the taker is decided but obviously if we miss one this will come back under the microscope.

bdecuc

On the basis that Marcus was also going to take the 2nd one against Spurs, I’m guessing that they’ve currently agreed that he and Bruno alternate. Will be interesting to see who takes the next one which, on that theory, should be Bruno. Id probably prefer Bruno taking them currently but I’ve no real issue with that as Marcus’ record is also very good.

I disagree that Rashford’s run up was nervous. I thought he looked very confident, watched the keeper the whole time and then stroked an unstoppable penalty into the corner.
That's what I thought Bruno meant when he said it after the Spurs game. That they'd take penalties alternatively. I don't particularly have a problem with it. Bruno has a great record obviously and Rashford has a very good one. Seems fair enough if they've come to an agreement on it.

Skeezix

I dare say all penalties and set pieces, freekicks be taken by whoever Bruno decides. He's the Don Corleone of God Father, the Banker in Monopoly. I trust his wisdom on who needs goals the most at the same time who has the confidence to take it. He's the unnamed and unofficial Captain at this point really.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought it was pretty obvious that Fernandes was doing Rashford a solid and letting him have it to get the ball rolling.

Rashford was the only one of our forwards who hasn't scored yet so it'll let him feel more relaxed.

paulscholes18

Yeah I knew something was off at the time but I'm glad this has been confirmed by caf body language experts.
There’s a big difference between his what I would call confident penalty’s like he believed he’s going to score vs PSG & Columbia

To his pen vs Bournemouth which I think laced confidence and he hoped he’s going to score

Watch from the 1 minute mark

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think it's Bruno and in my opinion, the only reason why Rashford took the penalty on the weekend is to get his confidence up. Rashford has been playing well, and the only person who has been able to stop him is himself. So after potting that penalty, hopefully that helps to open the flood gates and he starts scoring again (should have had another that I am still struggling to see where the offside was). But if/when we get another penalty, I fully expect to see Bruno step up and put it away...

romufc

This is something that is good to see, a player of that ilk with no ego.

it was clear he let Rashford take it for confidence, he came up to Rashford at the end of the game and joked about it.

He seems to have such a good relationship with the players.

mu4c_20le

There’s a big difference between his what I would call confident penalty’s like he believed he’s going to score vs PSG & Columbia

To his pen vs Bournemouth which I think laced confidence and he hoped he’s going to score

Watch from the 1 minute mark
The only difference is he whacks it harder in those videos. Given that he's been off form, its understandable that he chose to hit the target by placing it over sheer power. You said his run up was horrible, but I didn't notice anything different, he just does it a bit faster when he's in blistering form.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Personally Im quite happy that whoever "wins" the penalty gets to take it out of Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Pogba... If somebody else wins it share them out... would make it much harder for keepers to prepare and if we ever do end up in a shoot out situation we have five players used to taking pens in pressure situations (albeit shoot outs are a bit more pressured)

Revan

Assumptionman
This is something that is good to see, a player of that ilk with no ego.

it was clear he let Rashford take it for confidence
, he came up to Rashford at the end of the game and joked about it.

He seems to have such a good relationship with the players.
It was not clear at all. We saw against Spurs, a penalty happening in the 89th minute, and Rashford directly going to get the ball. Potentially, it was worthy 2 points (the penalty was revoked by VAR).

It seems that they are alternating (same as at the beginning of the season when it seemed that Rashford and Pogba are alternating, but then Pogba lost goodwill and also got injured).

I think it is a non-ideal strategy. I don't have anything against Rashford and I think he is quite good at penalties, but I just think that Bruno is better, so it needs to be the better penalty taker who takes them.

Tony247

Not confident about rashford taking penalty. Has to be Bruno and manager must decide. If Bruno not available then I would go for either Martial or Greenwood.

Tony247

I think one should take them until he miss them the other one until he miss and that is how they'll rotate.
Respectfully disagree. We are in do-or-die type of situation in all remaining matches. Every goal is important (even from GD perspective). This is not the time to be generous and take a chance. Bruno has the best record, then he should take them.