Who are the best ball playing goalkeepers that are attainable?

kaku06

Which goalkeepers are elite in their distribution combined with all round abilities and are gettable without costing a bomb? I mention that because I really want us to get a goalkeeper who is supreme in ball playing and distribution. When I see the likes of Ederson, Allison and now Ramsdale pinging balls with accuracy like it’s nothing, I can’t help but wonder what difference it would make to us if we get a goalkeeper like those above?

I have seen the likes of Raya, Sanchez etc being mentioned. How do they compare against the likes of Ederson etc? Don’t get me wrong I prefer other attributes too like commanding in the box, shot stopping etc but I believe this particular attribute is holding us back so much.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Which goalkeepers are elite in their distribution combined with all round abilities and are gettable without costing a bomb?
My guess is none, they will all have soem deficiences

Ederson has a tendency to go walkabout, Ramsdale catches like DDG on the evidence of the other day, not watched much of Allison

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
People may disagree, but I would take Pickford personally, would be obtainable for sure next season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
People may disagree, but I would take Pickford personally, would be obtainable for sure next season.
I think that would be a reasonably good choice, he'd wake up any dozy defenders for sure

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Don’t know anything about him. Is he that good?
Extremely comfortable with the ball at his feet and makes the saves you would want him to make. For the club he is at you would get him at a decent price and he would, at worst, be a Romero level back up.

His career to date has been defined by one pant shittingly hilarious howler where a team goes on the counter attack quickly and scores while he is having a sip of water. But that is an outlier.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd say it's less that I would disagree and more that I'd rather stab my own eyes out than watch Pickford play for United.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Raya’s distribution and ability on the ball is superior to De Gea but De Gea is a better shot stopper I would say. I reckon his distribution/ability on the ball is better than Ramsdale and comparable to Edeson and Allison. After all you don’t get into Spain’s squad without having those attributes given their style of play.

Posh Red

Extremely comfortable with the ball at his feet and makes the saves you would want him to make. For the club he is at you would get him at a decent price and he would, at worst, be a Romero level back up.

His career to date has been defined by one pant shittingly hilarious howler where a team goes on the counter attack quickly and scores while he is having a sip of water. But that is an outlier.
Christ. I need to see this. I’m laughing my head off just at the thought.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Raya’s distribution and ability on the ball is superior to De Gea but De Gea is a better shot stopper I would say. I reckon his distribution/ability on the ball is better than Ramsdale and comparable to Edeson and Allison. After all you don’t get into Spain’s squad without having those attributes given their style of play.
I was just about to say that Raya probably has the best distribution of any goalkeeper in the league not already playing for a top side and it seems he will be available this summer. To my casual eyes he also seems surprisingly good at claiming crosses into the box too.

I say "surprisingly" because it has to be said he is quite short for a goalkeeper. I'm not sure how much that actually hinders him?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
I was just about to say that Raya probably has the best distribution of any goalkeeper in the league not already playing for a top side and it seems he will be available this summer. To my casual eyes he also seems surprisingly good at claiming crosses into the box too.

I say "surprisingly" because it has to be said he is quite short for a goalkeeper. I'm not sure how much that actually hinders him?
I am never concerned about him on crosses and corners and tbh the only time I’ve thought he might have got that if he was a few inches taller have been a few long range efforts that were just out of reach - but you could say that about all keepers at some point. He is going this summer without a doubt. Would do well at United I’d have thought, ideally an auction with United winning it with £25m heading our way ;)

Flanders Devil

I remember a lot of people saying Bazunu is the one we should be lining up. Has anyone watched enough of him? Anytime I've seen him (which isn't a lot), he hasn't look great at the traditional goal keeping parts of the Job Description, but I also don't know how much that is due to Southampton's defence. Decent distribution though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It has to be David Raya. There was a report said he can be available for 15m due to his contract expired in 2024. It's no brainer signing IMO because if he flops, it's only cost 15m. But if he doesn't flop 15m becomes a bargain price. Check out for comparison. The FBref stats reflects to how the team trust him lot by passing the ball to him (94 percentile touches), capable to make save (89 percentile) and very good at stop crossings (85 percentile).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I remember a lot of people saying Bazunu is the one we should be lining up. Has anyone watched enough of him? Anytime I've seen him (which isn't a lot), he hasn't look great at the traditional goal keeping parts of the Job Description, but I also don't know how much that is due to Southampton's defence. Decent distribution though.
Definitely not. Talented but his season so far has shown he has a lot of developing to do. And when I say a lot I mean a lot.

Mwooyo

It has to be David raya. He is miles ahead of de gea in every area. He is available this summer....we shouldnt even bother spending 50m on the porto keeper when David raya is available. He plays aggressively as a sweeper keeper....he claims crosses...he passes really well. Sanchez at Brighton passes better but he will cost way more...we should be all in for raya

Flanders Devil

Definitely not. Talented but his season so far has shown he has a lot of developing to do. And when I say a lot I mean a lot.

Thank you! That's very helpful-confirms what I thought I was seeing. Quite clear too.

gregwar

Sanchez or Raya for me. Both probably affordable.

I'll go with whoever ten Hag fancies regardless. First time since 2013 we've had a manager I actually trust.

Long Time Red

David Raya has the best distribution of any keeper I've seen at OT in the last few seasons.

He's even more impressive in person than he looks on TV.

He really is a no brainer signing.

EtH

In the PL, Martinez at Villa or Sanchez at Brighton.
I want Emi at United next season. Send Deano the other way. We could do with a few more cnuts in the team who have the quality to back it up.

mav_9me

It has to be David Raya. There was a report said he can be available for 15m due to his contract expired in 2024. It's no brainer signing IMO because if he flops, it's only cost 15m. But if he doesn't flop 15m becomes a bargain price. Check out for comparison. The FBref stats reflects to how the team trust him lot by passing the ball to him (94 percentile touches), capable to make save (89 percentile) and very good at stop crossings (85 percentile).

Excellent post.

mav_9me

The biggest area of improvement for us is obvious, a striker. But after that, as we hopefully continue to get better, there will be incremental improvements. In that a GK like Raya offers a fairly big improvement imo.

croadyman

The biggest area of improvement for us is obvious, a striker. But after that, as we hopefully continue to get better, there will be incremental improvements. In that a GK like Raya offers a fairly big improvement imo.
Yeah still say it goes ST, CM (progressive) & GK needed to sort out first XI,can then focus on squad depth with shrewdness

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
When you see some of that playing out from the back on Sunday it's not surprising
Fair enough. Personally, I think the criticism of his passing and ball-playing is excessive. He's not the best at it, but I've seen Ramsdale have similarly average performances in that respect - and he is rightly lauded as one of the best keepers in the league. As far as shot stoppers go, DDG is still one of the best in the league.