Who are the best managers in the world?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
3 games each for Mane and Salah (and maybe some more for Milner actually I forgot about him) is plenty of opportunity to drop points. Their winning run also extends quite a bit into last season which we haven't counted the injuries for as well. Also I wouldn't call Fabinho a key player for them. Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum are probably more key but again my point is that it doesn't matter who they put out:

Mane/Salah/Firmino/Origi/Ox/Lallana/Shaqiri/Henderson/Wijnaldum/Milner/Fabinho/Keita/Matip/Gomez/Lovren/Alisson/Adrian

You can just pick any 8 out of those and it's the same winning result. I just don't see City having that amount of flexibility.

The only real constants are TAA, Robertson and Van Dijk, and so I feel the key to stopping them lies with these 3 players. Easier said than done though, of course.
You see that's why I say that it's recency bias, you are genuinely arguing that a team that has won the league against the same Liverpool that you are praising while having to deal with injuries to Fernandinho, Kompany, Mendy, Silva, De Bruyne or Aguero. You have actually seen City handle multiple injuries to key players at the same time and keep winning and performing at a high level, that's what happened last season. Liverpool are doing great this season but they are a very healthy team which is to their credit but there is nothing exceptional with their handling of players absences because their key players aren't really absent.

spiriticon

You see that's why I say that it's recency bias, you are genuinely arguing that a team that has won the league against the same Liverpool that you are praising while having to deal with injuries to Fernandinho, Kompany, Mendy, Silva, De Bruyne or Aguero. You have actually seen City handle multiple injuries to key players at the same time and keep winning and performing at a high level, that's what happened last season. Liverpool are doing great this season but they are a very healthy team which is to their credit but there is nothing exceptional with their handling of players absences because their key players aren't really absent.
Maybe i'm not giving City enough credit you are right. I'm not arguing against the fact that they are still dead good, I mean let's not get it wrong, Pep is one of the two best in England and I don't think Pep has faded at all.

I still think Klopp's team is more flexible though but maybe it's more a personal thing with me being amazed that average to shit players like Origi/Ox/Lallana/Shaqiri/Matip/Lovren can still get the job done without a hitch.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Ok I like Poch as much as the next guy but this is borderline insane. And I might remind you that Klopp was close to number 1 before he even arrived at Anfield and spent this "warchest."
Pochettino is close to number 1 before his potential move to another big club. So much similarity with Klopp that United will be complete idiots to overlook him.

JPRouve

Scout
Pochettino is close to number 1 before his potential move to another big club. So much similarity with Klopp that United will be complete idiots to overlook him.
I still don't know if you are trolling with that tweet about the FIFA best awards. The awards tells you nothing about the quality of a manager, Ranieri and Deschamp won it while Dalic finished third.

mu4c_20le

Not this again. Zlatko Dalic was named the #3 best coach in the world the year before that, for taking Croatia to the world cup final. If Poch was anything like Klopp, he would've won at least one league title when the other big clubs were rebuilding, probably the year Leicester did it.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
I don't think he is near them for the time being. He has done a fantastic job at Tottenham since he came there and he was close at a time imo. But he has never won a thing in his career, and is currently without a job because the wheels fell off. Guardiola and Klopp are far ahead Pochettino for now. He has to prove himself again at a new club and challenge for the big honours before he can be considered in the same bracket again.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Also I wouldn't call Fabinho a key player for them. Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum are probably more key but again my point is that it doesn't matter who they put out:
Nah, Fabinho is the main man in midfield. He was running midfield on his own at times this season.

Gini and Hendo just showed that they are better than they get credit for in his absence. Hendo especially.

JPRouve

Scout
Nah, Fabinho is the main man in midfield. He was running midfield on his own at times this season.

Gini and Hendo just showed that they are better than they get credit for in his absence. Hendo especially.
I suppose that you have become a fan of his. It's amazing how he seems to never pick the wrong option with and without the ball, he spots passes that most players won't and defensively he anticipates movements that most players won't, he also has a a clean technique.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I suppose that you have become a fan of his. It's amazing how he seems to never pick the wrong option with and without the ball, he spots passes that most players won't and defensively he anticipates movements that most players won't, he also has a a clean technique.
He's the closest thing I've seen to Vieira since Vieira himself played.

Mr Smith

I think Hasenhuttl has what it takes to manage an elite level club.
I agree, he looks really good. Same school of thought as Klopp, Nagelsmann, et al, and really seems a big personality as well. One to keep an eye on, that's for sure.

The way he has turned Southampton around when they looked a cert to go down before Christmas has been really amazing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Conte is criminally underrated for me. I don't understand how Pochettino or Julian Nagelsmann can be ahead of him. The style of play shouldn't trump results.
Correct.
Conte seems to know how to get results and has a fairly decent track record. He came to CFC and immediately won the title. He has now gone to Inter Milan and is getting immediate results (unlike Ole, who apparently needs several years) having bought several (new) key players.
Poch has never won anything and for me, that excludes him from being mentioned in the top brackets.

Last edited:

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I agree, he looks really good. Same school of thought as Klopp, Nagelsmann, et al, and really seems a big personality as well. One to keep an eye on, that's for sure.

The way he has turned Southampton around when they looked a cert to go down before Christmas has been really amazing.
Add the fact that in the last few years he has been hired by both Southampton and Leipzig, two clubs that have shown a good eye not only for player acquisitions but managerial ones too.

I think he should be on the shortlist of realistic candidates for most clubs.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I still don't know if you are trolling with that tweet about the FIFA best awards. The awards tells you nothing about the quality of a manager, Ranieri and Deschamp won it while Dalic finished third.
Those managers won it after an exceptional season they had. The difference is that those managers you listed are only one season wonders. Pochettino has been consistently good at Spurs for multiple years. The difference is huge and when Pochettino finally got recognized as one of the top three managers in football, it showcase his true managerial acumen, not just a fluke one good season as those managers you listed.

I don't think he is near them for the time being. He has done a fantastic job at Tottenham since he came there and he was close at a time imo. But he has never won a thing in his career, and is currently without a job because the wheels fell off. Guardiola and Klopp are far ahead Pochettino for now. He has to prove himself again at a new club and challenge for the big honours before he can be considered in the same bracket again.
There is no expectation to win anything at clubs like Espanyol, Southampton and Spurs (pre Poch revolution). The requirement for success is different than other big clubs and a Pochettino meet and overachieved in those requirements. As history shows he came close to winning big honors multiple times and not just a fluke trophy win, which speaks more about his abilities as a manager than other one season wonder managers who just got lucky. Also he is currently without a job because levy refused to give him the rebuild he wanted after the end of a cycle.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
There is no expectation to win anything at clubs like Espanyol, Southampton and Spurs (pre Poch revolution). The requirement for success is different than other big clubs and a Pochettino meet and overachieved in those requirements. As history shows he came close to winning big honors multiple times and not just a fluke trophy win, which speaks more about his abilities as a manager than other one season wonder managers who just got lucky. Also he is currently without a job because levy refused to give him the rebuild he wanted after the end of a cycle.
Pochettino did a damn fine job at Spurs and he is obviously a great manager. I am not arguing against that. But if you want to be considered as the best, you have to win things. Simple as that. It will be interesting to see whether he can take the last step at his next club.

Sea-Cow

I heard that Everton have not lost a game since Ancelotti arrived. Is this correct?
Don't quote me on this as I am too lazy to search and verify if its true, but I saw this one Twitter recently -- Everton has the 2nd most points in the Prem since Silva was sacked.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Don't quote me on this as I am too lazy to search and verify if its true, but I saw this one Twitte recently -- Everton has the 2ns most points in the Prem since Silva was sacked.
Since Matchday 16, they are indeed second with 22 points in 11 games.