Who are the top 5 centre-backs in the world?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The Varane pursuit has thrown up some interesting views, one of which being Varane is not in this grouping for some people.
That's the prompt for this thread, really, as times do move on and it's no lie to say he's not flawless. But not top 5? Really?

Let's assume Van Dijk returns to his best and include him: who fills out the remaining four placings in a top 5 CB's on the planet list?

Fingeredmouse

I think this is an incredibly hard question to answer as central defenders need to be watched regularly to really assess them as consistency is such a key requirement for the position.

Our own mad Eric can look exceptional if you catch him on the right day for instance. I just don't see Varane enough to fully judge.

AndrewMac

1) Van Dijk
2) La Porte
3) Cheillini
4) Varane
5) De Ligt

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Marquinhos and Van Dijk are the certainties. Everyone else seems more of a debate. Chiellini and Bonucci are moving on, we've yet to see if Ramos is over his injuries. In the Premier League Dias and Maguire are probably the other two beside Van Dijk to make the top 3.

Tough call.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Well I will have a crack at answering:

Van Dijk
De Ligt
Ramos
Dias
Marquinhos

Kaos

VVD, Varane, Marquinhos, Ruben Dias....not sure who I'd add as a fifth - Is Koulibaly still good? Di Ligt? Skriniar?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Marquinhos and Van Dijk are the certainties. Everyone else seems more of a debate. Chiellini and Bonucci are moving on, we've yet to see if Ramos is over his injuries. In the Premier League Dias and Maguire are probably the other two beside Van Dijk to make the top 3.

Tough call.
Don't mean to be mean, but I would take Matip, Gomez and Konate way before I had to consider the Manchester Barge.

Scottynaldinho

1) Varane (4x CLs and 3 league titles, a world cup and still 28)

2) Virjil Van Dijk

3) Ruben Diaz

4) Harry Maguire

5) Marquinhos

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Van Diyk
Marquinhos
Dias
Varane
Rudiger

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Don't mean to be mean, but I would take Matip, Gomez and Konate way before I had to consider the Manchester Barge.
It's not mean, it's just your opinion. There is no way I'd swap Maguire for Matip, nor for Gomez who is a crock, and Konate is super promising, but still doubts over his injury problems. I'm not saying Maguire is top 5 in the world, but I don't think I'd swap him for another defender in the Premier League other than those two I mentioned.

Both Konate and Upamecano are hugely promising, but I think the latter will prove to be incredible over time.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Van Dijk, De Vrij, Marquinhos, Varane, Dias/Maguire.

Kaos

There's biased opinions, then there's sheer insanity. Neither of those are better than Maguire, and its debatable whether they're even better than Lindelof.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
A lot of this relies on the season and form, so top 5 might be Van Dijk, Upamecano, Dias, Varane and Bastoni (or one of the other Inter center backs de Vrij or Skriniar).

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maguire is definitely in there. I thought he was top 5 at Leicester, too, which is why I was like the only one here okay with the fee. Van Dijk is the only CB I can confidently say is better than him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
A lot of this relies on the season and form, so top 5 might be Van Dijk, Upamecano, Dias, Varane and Bastoni (or one of the other Inter center backs de Vrij or Skriniar).
Not sure this is the thread for it but Upamecano is not a top 5 CB, either on form or in general.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's become a bit of a position where there really aren't [m]any names who are proven world class CBs, so it really does vary from season to season.

Koulibably was supposedly number 1 a few years ago, for about 12-18 months. Dias is having his moment in the sunshine right now. Van Dijk is probably the constant since he's joined Liverpool, but after being out for an entire season - who knows if he's still top dawg entertainment?

I think there's a whole bunch of good CBs across Europe - likes of Varane, Maguire, de Vrij, De Ligt etc. who all push into 'top 5' form for periods, but I don't think there's any one you can straight up put in top 5 with assurance.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Rudiger is underrated, yes, but no way is he top 5 in the world.
We had the best defense in Europe after Tuchel turned up and he was our best defender. Ran the show against all our opponents and bullied every player he came up against. Granted it's based on 5 months of game time but what a top top player he was in the months leading up to us winning the Champions League.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We had the best defense in Europe after Tuchel turned up and he was our best defender. Ran the show against all our opponents and bullied every player he came up against. Granted it's based on 5 months of game time but what a top top player he was in the months leading up to us winning the Champions League.
yeah, Rudiger is quite solid.

izec

Van Dijk
Marquinhos
Dias
Maguire
De Ligt

6th Varane
7th Rüdiger/Hummels

Not sure Ramos and Chiellini still are with their age and injuries catching up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Besides the few genuine monsters - VVD, Ramos, maybe Marquinhos and Thiago Silva - depends on how you play really

Varane is great if he has not much ground to defend and the action happens in front of him, far less so when he has to step up, for example

Sigma

I have always believed that Varane is vastly overrated. Don't think he is that great.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Stefan de Vrij is easily the most underrated centre back in the world. He's much better than De Ligt at this point intime, but is never mentioned. Well aside from being voted best defender in the Serie A last year.

Infra-red

I'd probably go with Dias, Marquinhos and Van Dijk as the top three.

Not sure who would be fourth/fifth, but Bastoni, Varane, Romero, Maguire, de Vrij and Savic might perhaps be in with a shout.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
we can make a top 5 but gonna be a weak one compared to when
Ramos
Chiellini
Thiago Silva

were in their prime
Best defenders in the past 12-13years

VVD is good but peaked up late in his career

Nick7

1. Maguire
  2. Lindelof
  3. Jones
  4. Bailly
  5. Varane
Obviously. Silly question.

Oranges038

One mention of Bonucci, the guy is easily in the top 5.

VVD
Bonucci
Dias
Marquinhos
Chiellini

hobbers

VVD
Chiellini
Marquinhos

Then a tier below them any two from Ruben Dias, Varane, Maguire, Laporte, De Ligt, Bonucci..

We're in a really, really poor era for centrebacks, probably the poorest in the last 3 decades.