Who are the top five Premier League CBs?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He really isn’t. It seems to be the cliche that everyone is sticking with at the moment.

Hyped up by a few pundits and a huge price tag and everyone thinks he is world class. Along with Liverpool being the media and pundits darling club where no player can do any wrong.

He is not great at all.

Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Laporte
Otamendi
Kompany
Maguire
Azpilicueta.

All the above are better and have proven it, all looked better than him last season.

He was riddled with mistakes last season. I am sorry but he is not top 5 CB in the PL. Yes he is good on the ball but pure defending he is not that great, which is first and foremost the most important trait for a CB.
Laporte has proven it? Sure you probably watched a shitload of Athletic games last year. Maguire? Wasn’t even in the discussion last season before he had a decent WC in which he lost 3 of the 7 matches they played, actually lost against any decent team they played. Otamendi :lol: He is dogshit, and Kompany hasn’t been on his top level in the last three years.

Lmao what a trainwreck of a post.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He really isn’t. It seems to be the cliche that everyone is sticking with at the moment.

Hyped up by a few pundits and a huge price tag and everyone thinks he is world class. Along with Liverpool being the media and pundits darling club where no player can do any wrong.

He is not great at all.

Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Laporte
Otamendi
Kompany
Maguire
Azpilicueta.

All the above are better and have proven it, all looked better than him last season.

He was riddled with mistakes last season. I am sorry but he is not top 5 CB in the PL. Yes he is good on the ball but pure defending he is not that great, which is first and foremost the most important trait for a CB.
Our defence prior to Van Dijk’s arrival was awful, our defence after his arrival was dramatically better.

You’re opinion on him is incorrect. If he’s so bad why have so many in this thread put them in their top five?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Laporte has proven it? Sure you probably watched a shitload of Athletic games last year. Maguire? Wasn’t even in the discussion last season before he had a decent WC in which he lost 3 of the 7 matches they played, actually lost against any decent team they played. Otamendi :lol: He is dogshit, and Kompany hasn’t been on his top level in the last three years.

All the top clubs in Europe were circling Laporte, and he ended up going to the best team in England.

No one was really circling VVD hence the reason he went to Liverpool and not a top club.

Otamendi was in PL team of the season last season so pipe down. He was a rock last season and is superior to VVD.

Our defence prior to Van Dijk’s arrival was awful, our defence after his arrival was dramatically better.

You’re opinion on him is incorrect. If he’s so bad why have so many in this thread put them in their top five?
Because people are easily swayed by media hype and pundit hype when half of the pundits are ex Liverpool players and the other half are failed managers. That along with his high price tag and Fifa/FM rating and the average fan such as on here will have you believe he is a great CB. He is bang average.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
All the top clubs in Europe were circling Laporte, and he ended up going to the best team in England.

No one was really circling VVD hence the reason he went to Liverpool and not a top club.

Otamendi was in PL team of the season last season so pipe down. He was a rock last season and is superior to VVD.

Because people are easily swayed by media hype and pundit hype when half of the pundits are ex Liverpool players and the other half are failed managers. That along with his high price tag and Fifa/FM rating and the average fan such as on here will have you believe he is a great CB. He is bang average.
:lol::lol::lol:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

He is not great at all.

Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Laporte
Otamendi
Kompany
Maguire
Azpilicueta.

Since he joined Liverpool, no one conceded less than them. That was next to fecking Lovren. He was brilliant at Southampton. It's really not media hype (which sometimes can play a part), he's just very good. Your bias against Liverpool is showing, saying Lindelof, Bailly and Smalling are his equal (at this moment in time) is embarrassing, anyone who has watched enough of those 3 and VVD will know who the better CB is. I imagine 99% of United fans would agree (plenty would argue that Bailly could potentially be better and that's understandable).

Not true, anyone who had watched enough of him at Hull and Leicester knew that he was a contender for being in a top 5 PL CB list. There's a narrative that people only rate him due to his WC performances, it's not true. This is what I said about him back in february (to egotistically quote myself)

I definitely agree with your sentiments, the media always overplay CBs at smaller clubs, especially if they are competent on the ball or playing in a defensive set up. I thought that when the press was raving about Keane, sometimes it is easier to stand out at a smaller club.

I disagree when it comes to Maguire though, I think he is an excellent CB and rate him very highly. Time will tell though mate!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The 2 best teams in the league, defensive record wise, by far, were United and City. Yet some people think it's ludicrous that defenders from those teams are being mentioned here.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
There's been some discussion about Van Dijk over the last day or so with Neville comparing him to Jaap Staam (too many a's).

So who would you currently pick as your top five defenders in the league? Full-backs who play as the third CB in a back three are fine.

I'll go for (in no particular order):

Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Van Dijk
Bailly (I rate him very highly)
Azpilicueta
Don’t think Bailly is up there at all. Hasn’t even had a proper run of games for us yet.

Smalling is underrated, not saying he deserves to be top 5 but he deserves more recognition than Bailly so far.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We don't have the same quality of CB's anymore in this league. Either the newer generations of CB's struggle to keep a consistent level, or maybe we are quick to forget about the ups and downs of earlier legends. Todays top CB's in the PL have all had their good few seasons but non, bar maybe Kompany has reached a noteworthy level over time.
Im not going to include fullbacks who only play CB when three at the back. That being said, i think Azpilcueta is great.
And, I'm going of what they've proven before and current abilities as an allround Premier League CB.

1. On top form: Kompany and Smalling has the highest level all around.
2. Usually when fit and in form they are close: Alderweireld / Vertonghen / Koscielny(not much anymore tho)
3. Top attributes but lack a bit as allrounders: Bailly / Van Djik

I think Maguire might become great, and Otamendi could have been great too with his allround qualities, but he just isn't. A lot of talents not quite there yet in terms of stability, or top level. Sure as shit someone is going to be rated as the best CB in the league this season, and maybe someone not on everybody's list.. as it is up for grabs anyways, but I'm kinda doubtful they will carry that form on to the next season, like Rio, Vida, Stam, Terry etc. Not a great time for watching CB's in the PL tbh.

Javi

Top 3: Van Dijk, Otamendi, Alderweireld

Tier 2: Vertonghen/Bailly/Kompany/possibly Laporte.

Minimalist

No love for our own Phil Jones? Shame on all of you.

/s

the big goober

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Smalling is better than Bailly, no question about that. I've not seen Bailly play a single game without making a error that gives the opportunity a chance to score. He has the potential to be a top 5 CB in the league but he's not there yet.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I didn’t list any of City’s CB’s because I’m of the opinion that City’s defensive numbers make the players look like better defenders than they are.

Guardiola sets his teams out to dominate games and starve the opposition of the ball. How often do his defenders actually have to defend?

JMack1234

Hmm a tricky one i'd say,

Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Van Dijk

Then a gap and

Laporte
and maybe Bailly

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I didn’t list any of City’s CB’s because I’m of the opinion that City’s defensive numbers make the players look like better defenders than they are.

Guardiola sets his teams out to dominate games and starve the opposition of the ball. How often do his defenders actually have to defend?
I take it you didn't watch the same City side 2 seasons ago, when, with the same system, they conceded a good amount of goals.

Of course City's defenders do their fair share of preventing goals. To suggest otherwise indicates you just don't watch them that often, or are restricting defending to English trench warfare.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I take it you didn't watch the same City side 2 seasons ago, when, with the same system, they conceded a good amount of goals.

Of course City's defenders do their fair share of preventing goals. To suggest otherwise indicates you just don't watch them that often, or are restricting defending to English trench warfare.
But how much possession do they give up to the opposition compared to other sides? I’m pretty sure they have more of the ball than most sides do. They also try and win the ball back higher up the pitch and commit tactical fouls which reduces the vulnerability of their defenders in open play you would think?

Educate me City lover!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Van Dijk
  2. Vertonghen
  3. Azpilicueta
  4. Alderweireld
  5. Bailly/laporte/maguire/fit kompany etc..
I'd say Van Dijk is the best one by a distance, has it all. Smalling aerial dominance (except in both boxes), very good ability on the ball, reads the game well, doesnt panic, dominant 1v1 and physically and with pace, etc.
Bailly can probably be top 3 if he can stay fit and play to his potential. As it is, cant have him too high.

Theonas

Scout
It says a lot about how the quality of CB's in the league has dropped when you try and list a top five from 10 years ago.

Terry
Ferdinand
Vidic
Carragher/Hyypia maybe?
Carvalho
That is not a fair comparison. Those CB were facing very different challenges to the ones today. 10 years ago nobody had the attacking power of City or even Liverpool or Spurs nowadays. I am not saying those teams were weaker overall but attacking wise, they indeed were. 10 years ago almost everybody played a more patient game where the big encounters were boxing matches with two teams sitting off each other and waiting to capitalize on mistakes. The best teams in us and Chelsea and briefly Liverpool relied more on the individual brilliance of Ronaldo, Torres and Drogba to unlock those big games. It is a totally different ballgame now with many teams pressing high and committing more men forward. It makes them concede more goals but it also means the CBs deal with a different challenge. That's not of course to say the defenders on your list were not world class because they did what was needed in their specific environment but I am not sure they would fare the same way in today's PL as John Terry himself admitted when talking about the current City team.

ErranMorad

It's a sad state of affairs that the league cannot boost off many top quality defenders previously seen in the league. There is no one right now who can match the quality of Rio, Terry, Vidic, Carvalho, Campbell etc. Kompany is the only one who comes close.

My List:

- Van Dijk

- A fit Kompany

- Verthongen
- Koscielny when fit
- Smalling

I am in the minority who doesn't rate Bailly very highly. Cannot head the ball to save his life. Is too erratic, takes too many risks for a defender and is too injury prone. Injuries are not always in your control & some of the erratic stuff can be corrected, but his lack of heading ability will always be a hindrance for him in this league.

99withaflake

It's a sad state of affairs that the league cannot boost off many top quality defenders previously seen in the league. There is no one right now who can match the quality of Rio, Terry, Vidic, Carvalho, Campbell etc. Kompany is the only one who comes close.

My List:

- Van Dijk

- A fit Kompany

- Verthongen
- Koscielny when fit
- Smalling

I am in the minority who doesn't rate Bailly very highly. Cannot head the ball to save his life. Is too erratic, takes too many risks for a defender and is too injury prone. Injuries are not always in your control & some of the erratic stuff can be corrected, but his lack of heading ability will always be a hindrance for him in this league.
United fans saying Smalling is one of the top 5 centre backs in the league is what gives us a bad name.

I know the quality isn’t what it used to be, but Smalling is nowhere near the top 5 IMO.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
That is not a fair comparison. Those CB were facing very different challenges to the ones today. 10 years ago nobody had the attacking power of City or even Liverpool or Spurs nowadays. I am not saying those teams were weaker overall but attacking wise, they indeed were. 10 years ago almost everybody played a more patient game where the big encounters were boxing matches with two teams sitting off each other and waiting to capitalize on mistakes. The best teams in us and Chelsea and briefly Liverpool relied more on the individual brilliance of Ronaldo, Torres and Drogba to unlock those big games. It is a totally different ballgame now with many teams pressing high and committing more men forward. It makes them concede more goals but it also means the CBs deal with a different challenge. That's not of course to say the defenders on your list were not world class because they did what was needed in their specific environment but I am not sure they would fare the same way in today's PL as John Terry himself admitted when talking about the current City team.
And Terry, Vidic and Carragher lacked quickness. And Carragher was not great on the ball. Who knows how the guys he listed would look in an era where almost every top side plays with a high line and CBs are expected to break the lines with their passing. Look at City's goals in the community shield the build up for their first goal started with Laporte and their second goal started with Stones winning the ball and playing it forward.

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
Quality of defenders in the league has gone down a lot over the last decade. There was a time when LFC had like the third best defence in the country with Carragher and Agger, with Ferdinand and Vidic miles ahead, and Terry and Carvalho running them close.

Now, I don't think anyone is really world class as a CB in the league.

Top 5:
1) Alderwereild
2) VVD
3) Vertonghen
4) Bailly
5) Lovren.

Only kididng about Lovren. I'd put Otamendi there.

Theonas

Scout
And Terry, Vidic and Carragher lacked quickness. And Carragher was not great on the ball. Who knows how the guys he listed would look in an era where almost every top side plays with a high line and CBs are expected to break the lines with their passing. Look at City's goals in the community shield the build up for their first goal started with Laporte and their second goal started with Stones winning the ball and playing it forward.
Exactly. Even if one holds the view that defenders should be able to defend first and foremost before any ball playing abilities, the fact is the defending those players had to do was simply very different to defenders in the current climate. When AVB tried to play a high line, we all saw what happened to Terry. I love Vidic and think he is one of the best defenders in the PL era but we all saw how fragile he looked when faced with the interchanges and fluidity of that Barcelona team. Even the great man himself Sir Alex pointed to how his plans to counter Barcelona's dominance was to have quicker defenders who can play 40 yards from goal. His judgment that Jones was the man to do that is maybe questionable but the principle was solid. Vidic and Terry would find it very difficult against the forwards lines of today. Add to that how the role of full backs changed with that Chelsea backline consisting of fullbacks of the ilk of Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Fereira and Ashley Cole or ours having converted defenders like Brown or O'Shea and again you cannot ignore that level of protection when evaluating the defensive abilities of CBs 10 years ago.

Theonas

Scout
Exactly. Even if one holds the view that defenders should be able to defend first and foremost before any ball playing abilities, the fact is the defending those players had to do was simply very different to defenders in the current climate. When AVB tried to play a high line, we all saw what happened to Terry. I love Vidic and think he is one of the best defenders in the PL era but we all saw how fragile he looked when faced with the interchanges and fluidity of that Barcelona team. Even the great man himself Sir Alex pointed to how his plans to counter Barcelona's dominance was to have quicker defenders who can play 40 yards from goal. His judgment that Jones was the man to do that is maybe questionable but the principle was solid. Vidic and Terry would find the challenges significantly more difficult against the forwards lines of today. Add to that how the role of full backs changed with that Chelsea backline consisting of fullbacks of the ilk of Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Fereira and Ashley Cole or ours having converted defenders like Brown or O'Shea and again you cannot ignore that level of protection when evaluating the defensive abilities of CBs 10 years ago.

Ahsan_6386

Top 5 defenders :

1. Azpilicueta : Probably the most under rated defender in the league .
2. Fit Kompany :Absolute boss in both the boxes when fit .
3. Verthonghen : Great at reading the game
4. Van Dijk : Great potential who had an excellent end to last season as he controlled the defense well . Can go top if he has a good season at Liverpool.
5. Smalling : Under rated and ridiculed who has a mistake in him from time to time but has been mostly good for us for quite some time now .

Alderweireld and Otamendi would probably make the list but I am trying to keep single player from one team .

Laporte,Maguire,Lascalles and Baily are the the set of serious challengers to them this season .

ErranMorad

United fans saying Smalling is one of the top 5 centre backs in the league is what gives us a bad name.

I know the quality isn’t what it used to be, but Smalling is nowhere near the top 5 IMO.
Yeah, me having Smalling as one of the top defenders in the league really gives "United fans" a bad name. Come on now. This hyperbole doesn't really make any sense.

To expand on my position, I had a really hard time coming up with that list even though I am a premier league fiend who watches a lot of the games besides United's. There really isn't very much quality in the league in terms of pure defenders. There are different types defenders better at various different facets based on the preferences of their managers. Smalling will be benched swiftly under Pep, in the same way Stones or Otamendi won't find many favors with Jose. Smalling has really good qualities and done well for a team that has been among the best defensive units in the league over the last few seasons. His ability on the ball can be shockingly poor but his defensive skills are very good. He is a good header of the ball, reads the game decently well, has recovery pace to come out on top in tricky situations and defends well. He is without a doubt in my top 5.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
The 2 best teams in the league, defensive record wise, by far, were United and City. Yet some people think it's ludicrous that defenders from those teams are being mentioned here.
I think people dont rate them as highly because City dominate games so much, last season they averaged 66.4% possession, the next closest was a distant 58.8% from Spurs, followed by 58.4% Arsenal and 58% Liverpool, given that against top 6 sides you are probably looking closer to 50/50 it means they are averaging probably around 70% possession vs the rest of the league.

Theonas

Scout
I think people dont rate them as highly because City dominate games so much, last season they averaged 66.4% possession, the next closest was a distant 58.8% from Spurs, followed by 58.4% Arsenal and 58% Liverpool, given that against top 6 sides you are probably looking closer to 50/50 it means they are averaging probably around 70% possession vs the rest of the league.
One of the reasons they dominate to such extent is having good defenders. You can defend by making clearances and tackles but you can also defend by pushing higher up and helping your team keep the ball. Both are difficult skills to pull off and help equally at the ultimate goal; not allowing chances against your team. Neither are anymore or less "pure defending" unless one also thinks that wingers are not real wingers until they hug the touchline and cross. If anything the modern type of defenders is more effective considering the success of the likes of Barcelona or the record breaking season City had last year.

99withaflake

Yeah, me having Smalling as one of the top defenders in the league really gives "United fans" a bad name. Come on now. This hyperbole doesn't really make any sense.

To expand on my position, I had a really hard time coming up with that list even though I am a premier league fiend who watches a lot of the games besides United's. There really isn't very much quality in the league in terms of pure defenders. There are different types defenders better at various different facets based on the preferences of their managers. Smalling will be benched swiftly under Pep, in the same way Stones or Otamendi won't find many favors with Jose. Smalling has really good qualities and done well for a team that has been among the best defensive units in the league over the last few seasons. His ability on the ball can be shockingly poor but his defensive skills are very good. He is a good header of the ball, reads the game decently well, has recovery pace to come out on top in tricky situations and defends well. He is without a doubt in my top 5.
Chris Smalling couldn't even get into the England squad, and after about 7-8 years at United, still hasn't established himself as a top class defender and guaranteed starter.

Because of his lack of quality, we've been on the look out for better players. He may be more reliable the Jones and Rojo, but he's a decent squad at best, and nowhere near the best 5 centre backs in the Premier League.

We're all entitled to our opinions, and it just so happens we completely disagree with each other :)

M Utd

Van Dijk, Azpilicueta, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and fully fit Kompany in no particular order.
Agree with this.

Id say Kompany on his day is outstanding. He's such a good leader and organiser. If really hurts saying that given who he plays for but credit where credit is due. Every time he is interviewed or on a panel I'm always impressed by his mentality and knowledge.

tonnas

Bailly when he has a proper run of games, imo, will be the nos 1

chisnall_red

Supports
Citeh
Stones and Laporte looked (annoyingly) good, thought they’d be second choice pairing but if they get a run of games they could get on the list. Stones can be better than his reputation and had a decent World Cup

ErranMorad

Chris Smalling couldn't even get into the England squad, and after about 7-8 years at United, still hasn't established himself as a top class defender and guaranteed starter.

Because of his lack of quality, we've been on the look out for better players. He may be more reliable the Jones and Rojo, but he's a decent squad at best, and nowhere near the best 5 centre backs in the Premier League.

We're all entitled to our opinions, and it just so happens we completely disagree with each other :)
He definitely is a guaranteed starter when fit. Started all four of our cup finals under Van Gaal and Jose. Made 55 appearances in LVG's last season and had 46 last season. Even in an injury plagued season, Jose's first, he made 36 total appearances.

Like I said, managers can have different preferences. So being out of the English squad is not that big of a deal. A quality player like Leroy Sane couldn't get into the German squad. Martial didn't make France's. Alex Sandro who most people wants as our starting LB couldn't get into Brazil's. These are just a few examples.

I think he is top 5 for me in a very poor pool of central defenders. But, yeah, different opinions and all that. :)

tomaldinho1

Whilst that post was a bit of a joke, I actually don't agree on VVD necessarily massively improving your defense. I think he's been good but nowhere near the levels some people seem to think - I have made the point before that your issue is Klopp's tactics not with which CBs you sign.

For example, please correct me if wrong, but pre Jan (where you have way more games across all comps) you actually conceded less than post VVD's arrival? In terms of conceding goals, for the me the barometer of a great defense, you actually got slightly worse after he joined...

GM K

100% agree with your list. Bailly for me is underrated primarily because Mourinho dropped him with very little justification and caftards have internalised that. But like so many in our squad he's not a Mourinho type player. Mou thinks football matches are won by the team who make the fewest mistakes, and that if you make no mistakes you will win every match. This is patently untrue - you must take risks to win most football games. Bailly does have the odd mistake in him, but these are massively outweighed by the number of very proactive interventions he will successfully make when other very good CBs would not have got involved at all.
Bailly is not a Mourinho type player?
How is he not? Mourinho scouted and bought him. He has played him every single time he has been fit except for that brief spell at the tail end of last season when there was a rumour about a rift between player and coach (no one really knows the truth or do we?).
Did you hear his comments about Bailly in preseason? About his commitment?
How about defenders Jose has used before? Verane, Ricardo Carvalho, Ramos etc. How is Bailly different that makes him not a Mourinho type? I am just genuinely curious.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Stones and Laporte looked (annoyingly) good, thought they’d be second choice pairing but if they get a run of games they could get on the list. Stones can be better than his reputation and had a decent World Cup
I think it was always the plan for them to eventually be the first choice pair. That is why City paid so much for them. They are the type of ball playing defenders Pep wanted for his system. They are CBs with the ability to break the lines.

Brightonian

How is Bailly different that makes him not a Mourinho type? I am just genuinely curious.
The ways I said in my post. Just because a manager buys a player doesn't mean that player always works out to be well suited to the manager. Fortunately I think Bailly is so good that Mourinho will keep him as first choice regardless, but it explains why he has been too willing to drop him a couple of times with very little reason to do so. And for more than just a 'brief spell' - it was basically most of the second half of last season, to my recollection.

Njord

City wouldnt concede more with smalling. They wouldnt score as many though
City plays it out from the back every time (unless Ederson can kick it into open space to counter attack). If they tried to do that with Smalling, they would concede a lot more, through his errors in the build up. If they kicked it long from every goal kick, they would lose the ball more often, which also means they would concede more.

Camilo

I don't think there's a standout player - they're all much of a muchness.

Azpilicueta is proven good, but I still don't see him as a CB. The Spurs trio are solid enough, but nothing special. VVD looks good but it's too soon to draw any conclusions.. City's defenders all look good, but then again so does the entire team.

And our lot also look perfectly decent, if a little old school in the case of Smalling.

But really, all this shows is a change in the way football is played. Rio and Vidic would be shown up in modern football, because the way it's played is changing. Defenders are footballers first, not defenders, so the classic CB is a dying breed.