Who are your 3 GOATs?

izec

The brains of one of the most dominant club and national teams ever is worth at least a discussion here... Or may be he should be considered S.O.A.T (smartest of all time).

Xavi Hernandez

When he left, both "legendary" teams went south!
players like him arent in the discussion because they dont score enough goals. Similarly for the ballon d'or. It is just the way it is

Xavi is definitely in the discussion of GOAT midfielders though

fps

Look, football’s a team game, but if I had first 3 picks for an 11 a side against anyone else’s 11 a side, from the players I’ve watched at length since the mid 90s, I’d take Messi, Ronaldo and Zidane. Goals tempo possession and supply line all sorted, and they’d fit together beautifully positionally in a variety of configurations.

Cloud7

As much as I don't doubt Maradona was something special, I have no memories of actually watching him play live, so I won't feel right putting him in a list like this. With that in mind:

1) Messi
2) Ronaldo 9
3) C Ronaldo

KeanoMagicHat

Good lord, the arguments for Maradona so often boil down to what he did in a single month one time.
Not true, Maradona was the level of someone like Neymar before the 1986 World Cup, he was still one of the best around. He had already gone for two world record fees before that World Cup, you don't do that unless you're really highly rated. Young Maradona was a phenomenon, but it was 1986 and the following seasons with Napoli where he became a legend and rose above the top 5 in the world to this is a true great.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
My GOATS (I've seen play)

GK position:
- Pre-injury Neuer: the most complete keeper to play the sport, IMHO
- Buffon: at his prime, he was a great shot stopper and could handle most of the crosses into the box.
- Schmeichel: a no brainer for me. Miraculous saves, great on handling crosses and physical strikers. Had his brain freezes once a while, though :D

RB position:
- Cafú: Best RB I've seen. Aggressive, ridiculously fast even at veteran age, very strong defensively and could cause some troubles going up the field.
- Thuram. Started as a CB, but I think his prime was at the right, where his pace and power would cause the opposition to disrupt positions.
- Zambrotta: Very well balanced. Could play well with both feet, great positional awareness and his crossing delivery was actually quite nice.

LB position:
- Roberto Carlos: the king of left backs! Aggressive, fast, amazing skills and his powerful shot...
- Paolo Maldini: a more sober version, but his defensive skills were fantastic. Rarely caught out of position.
- Brehme: this german guy not only could defend well, but he was also a threat with the ball on his feet.

CB position:
- Cannavaro: he was short for a defender, but he leaped as high as an eagle and was strong as a charging bull. His anticipation was outstanding.
- Franco baresi: his elegance will never be matched.
- Jurgen Kohler: hard german mofo, but still had some skills on the ball. He was solid as a rock.

Defensive mdf / Center defensive mdf:
- Roy Keane: mean bastard, but he was just not a hard player: his ball skills were actually pretty damn good.
- Rijkaard: the tactical player. Depending the opposition he could be deployed as an anchor or as a false sweeper. And his runs from the back were amazing.
- Mathaus: Maradona himself said he was one of the most complete and intelligent players to set foot on a field.

Box-2-Box mdf:
- Paul Scholes: amazing passer, accurate shooter... what else could you ask
- Lampard: can't deny his skills. He was a fantastic joker to have on the team.
- Iniesta: probably the most complete of the lot: amazing incisive runs and ball control, and his vision was probably one of the best ever.

Trequartistas:
- Zidane: Creative, hard-worker, etc
- Michael Laudrup: one of my favorite players ever. His passing skill is above none. He even made the spoon pass and no look pass his signatures.
- Diego Maradona: a tricky choice because even though he was considered a trequartista at the time, he played more like a support striker. If only he stayed away from drugs.

Right Winger/Mdf:
- David Beckahm: his crossing accuracy was just ridiculous.
- Luis Figo: Drible and by-line cross. Could also score a good number of goals per season.
- Robben: his close control dribble was just amazing. If only his composure was a bit better, he would be a GOAT imho.

Left winger/mdf:
- Cristiano Ronaldo: goals gallore from the left.
- Paulo Futre: impossible to deny this one. If it wasn't for injuries (he was pretty much half the player at 27 y.o.) people would remember him as one of the GOAT's. His dribbbling is the best I've seen from a player.
- Giggs: pace, power, dribbling passing and shooting. He was something special.

Support Str/False 9:
- Messi: he's been playing centrally most of his career, so...
- Thierry Henry: influential, talented and sharp shooter.
- Del Piero: There's even a move called Del Piero shot.

Striker:
- Marco Van Basten: injuries ruined him, but he's the most complete striker I've witnessed.
- R9: a beast, like using a cheat player.
- Zlatan: hard to ignore him: not only a great goal scorer, but also top skill and vision.

D4X73r

Please don't hate me for my opinion

Passitlikescholes

I agree with you, but that world cup really is the one exception. Maradona was scoring solo goal after solo goal, setting up teammates from nothing, etc. The final is probably the one game that he didn't win basically by himself(still was the best player on the pitch)
He set up the winning goal with a beautiful through ball withone touch.

In that WC he setup chance after chance that his team mates couldn't finish, especially when they played Uruguay. Maradona set up tap in after tap in and his teammates blew easy chance after easy chance.

Peak powers, the man his head and shoulders above any player who has ever played the game.

Messi (with a more talented national team than what Maradona had) blew it time and time again.

Ronaldo complained (before Portugal won the euros) that he would never won anything internationally because his international teammates weren't good enough.

Diego rose above it all and dragged his team to a WC win in 86 and then backed it up in 1990 where he had just recovered from another ankle injury before the tournament.

Not forgoing that his Napoli took on AC Milan, Juventus and Inter, and won 2 Serie A.

The man had every obstacle/hurdle put in front of him and he won.

Andersonson

GK: Schmeichel, Buffon and Neuer
RB: Zanetti, Cafu , Alves
LB: Carlos, Zambrotta Irwin
CB: Nesta, Maldini , Rio
CM: Xavi, Pirlo , Scholes
LW: Messi, Maradona, Ronaldinho
RW: Cr7, Del Piero, Beckham
CF: Ronaldo, Batigol, Totti

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
GOAT:
-Pelé
-Maradona
-Cruyff

GTIS:
-Zidane
-Ronaldo
-Messi

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Fainting Goat
Pigmy Goat
Stealth Goat(Ibex)

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Everyone has their own definition of greatness. For me, the following have their own table (in no order) and are the five kings of football:

Pele
Johan Cruijff
Franz Beckenbauer
Diego Maradona
Alfredo Di Stefano

Players can join their table but noone can surpass surpass it.

Irwin99

Messi
C.Ronaldo

....hipster choice possibly but Pirlo was just majestic so i'll go with him in third place :drool:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ronaldinho
Scholes
Messi

Never seen anyone play like Ronaldinho, that guy just bled confidence and technique. Was just unplayable most of the time.
Scholes was an artist, the game was dictated by him, scorer of class goals, deliverer of perfect passes, he just couldn't tackle particularly well.
Messi, nothing really needs to be said about him, just a machine,will probably go down as the greatest by the end of his career.

Son

All time:
1. Messi
2. Pele
3. Di stefano (Maradona 4th)

That I’ve watched:
1. Messi
2. Zidane (Magical player rather than his consistency)
3. C. Ronaldo