Who can we buy to light a fire under Wan-Bissaka's ass?

Matthew84!

Bingo. The question is whether we're happy with what he is as a first-choice right back. Personally I don't even think he's very good at defending, he's excellent at tackling but he is useless with the ball in the air, so I'd say pretty good defensively overall at best.
Attacking wise I would be truly shocked if he ever improved to be up to the standards we require. Overall a decent to good fullback and that's it.

I don't rate AWB highly because you can't just judge him on one extraordinary attribute, and looking at him as a whole package he's not good enough and I doubt it'd be too difficult to upgrade on him. He could be the player we want to use in 10% of all games, against the likes of Mbappe, Mane and Hazards of football world, but overall he's overkill defensively considering how little he offers attacking wise.
Wow, thats a shocking opinion and I expect very few agree with this

Matthew84!

Aarons would be great. Can bring him in against smaller teams where we don’t need that added defensive protection AWB provides.
We need an experienced player to help teach AWB parts that he struggles with and someone who doesn't mind being sat on the bench, I'd expect Aarons wants to play regularly at his age

Peterfeeter

He was terrible up until a few weeks ago, but he looks to be improving on his form in the past couple of games. Undoubtedly needs competition but perhaps Ole has been looking into his attacking play on the side too.
I agree. In the last few games he has been attacking well. I think he is improving every game.

As a lot of people have already said, I'd focus first on giving Wan-Bissaka a dozen games or so with someone capable of playing (and staying) on the right ahead of him.

Then we can see whether his attacking deficiencies look way worse than they should because he's by himself on that flank 70% of the time. If he still looks clueless, time to think of an upgrade.

Haven't seen enough of Max Aarons, but nothing about his numbers suggests he'd be a massive upgrade. Trippier might, but he was fairly rubbish towards the end of his time at Spurs. Haven't seen enough since.

Stacks

How is a player who has apparently "been terrible" higher rated than Caf darling Luke Shaw on Whoscored in the PL this season? He's also our third highest rated player overall

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/32/Show/England-Manchester-United
Because he makes 3 tackles per game and 2 clearances. who scored must put weight into these actions for defenders. He's also higher than Pogba, Cavani and Co. Luke Shaw probably doesn't get targeted by opp like Wan so he doesn;t make much tackles. Luke Shaw makes 3 x the key passes and 8 x the crosses

Giggsy13

Aarons would be great. Can bring him in against smaller teams where we don’t need that added defensive protection AWB provides.
Norwich City are on pace for promotion, so I doubt they sell Aarons at this point.

Giggsy13

All of this would be a moot point if Woodward and the glazers took their fingers out of their arses and actually invested in a top RW (Sancho!!!). I’m sure Ole bought AWB understanding that he was a more traditional FB with the promise that the owners would deliver Sancho. Diallo might be the answer but for now we’re going to have to continue playing Greenwood and Rashford out of position where I highly doubt we’ll have much money to spend in the summer.

Lee565

Trippier ticks a lot of boxes, would be cheap, is a united fan, is home grown, great experience, wouldn't complain about playing second fiddle, great set piece taker, technically very good on the ball, good defensively and can comfortable play as a wing back.

Silverman

From Oles recent comments, AWB will be the RB for the next number of years.
He could genuinely improve with time but we're gonna have to start seeing it soon.

Ekeke

Nobody. He's been a fantastic rightback and one of our better players for the 1 and a half seasons hes played for us

Dve

Havn´t totally given up on Dalot yet. Getting game time for AC Milan seems to be doing him well.

Alemar

From Oles recent comments, AWB will be the RB for the next number of years.
But Ole isn’t actually known for comparing his players with shit in public domain. So it’s very Ole-ish to encourage his player this way - it doesn’t mean he won’t bench him later in case of underperformances

norm87cro

Not sure he needs "A light fired up his ass" at all because he seems motivated enough aldo his contribution up front is questionable. Wheter he can improve that over time or not remains to be seen.

Zoo

We already have this thread in the transfer forum. Boring

Okey

AWB, as young as he is and only in his second season here, isn't really doing badly at all. Robertson is probably still at the shops where AWB sent him twice in a matter of seconds. Laird is clearly our long term prospect barring injuries and hopefully his loan spell helps. Trippier would be a great experienced short term addition while the young uns develop. Once a competent RW is ahead of AWB, he'll look a different player anyway.

RC89

Bring Dalot back? Atleast he can demonstrate some of the attacking responsibilities of the modem full back.

youmeletsfly

We need an experienced player to help teach AWB parts that he struggles with and someone who doesn't mind being sat on the bench, I'd expect Aarons wants to play regularly at his age
Why would you buy an experienced player to teach AWB instead of buying a solid, experienced RB to actually play ahead of AWB? What the feck?

AWB is a decent player and would have been a great one 20 years ago. But let's be honest for a second, he offers almost nothing going forward and his positioning when defending is atrocious. He's a good tackler and a good 1v1 defender, but that's kind of it.

I'd go for Aarons and, if he gets to play ahead of AWB, so be it. We need more quality on that side.

pascell

No one, bring Laird in as cover next season, if he stays injury free this season and next, he'll take the starting spot by the end of next season.

Chairman Steve

I was under the impression from media stories that Trippier was going to be for AWB what Telles is for Shaw. I don’t think Trippier’s contract with Atletico has much long left (a year after this season?) so he’ll be cheap like Telles was too.

Silas

Best RB we've had since Gary Neville, TBH. Don't think there's an issue with him per se, he's just played c. 100 games in a relatively short period of time at a young age so his form is bound to dip slightly, especially when he's indispensable because we have no adequate cover.

Like someone above said, would be happy if we signed somebody like Tripper as a rotation option who we can play against the weaker teams with his superior delivery.
15-17 Valencia was better for me.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ethan Laird is highly thought of by the coaching staff and will be competing with AWB for that RB spot before long. It's just a matter of time. His loan spell with MK Dons will help expedite his progression.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Yeah, maybe you're right - feel AWB can surpass that leve though with timel, his improvements in his overall game have been really encouraging for me and he's actually started to play a little bit like Valencia.

- Constant running up and down the right wing.
- Taking on opponents by going down the outside with a heavy touch.
- Those body feints to open up passing angles and space where previously he'd have been pressed and potentially dispossessed.

Stacks

Yeah, maybe you're right - feel AWB can surpass that leve though with timel, his improvements in his overall game have been really encouraging for me and he's actually started to play a little bit like Valencia.

- Constant running up and down the right wing.
- Taking on opponents by going down the outside with a heavy touch.
- Those body feints to open up passing angles and space where previously he'd have been pressed and potentially dispossessed.
Rafael Dos Santos and Fabio says hi. Better players and started for a better team who made CL finals even. AWB would be relegated in our past teams as just being able to tackle isn't enough. Even Heinze got turfed.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Rafael Dos Santos and Fabio says hi. Better players and started for a better team who made CL finals even. AWB would be relegated in our past teams as just being able to tackle isn't enough. Even Heinze got turfed.
Rafael wasn't a better RB than Valencia, and including Fabio is laughable. Wouldn't mention Fabio playing in a CL final as a positive - we had no other option and he was shown up as being out of his depth, unfortunately. Wasn't he sent out on loan 1 year later? Also Rafael/Fabio were bit parts in one of the best teams in our history. It didn't matter whether we played Hargreaves/Brown/Smalling/Jones/Rafael/Fabio/Young/Valencia at RB because the other 10 positions were so strong.

sillwuka

I'd definitely welcome the experience of Trippier. Local lad from Bury as well.

More than enough games for him to displace AWB and vice versa over a full season, Let's see if we can get him cheap in the summer.

OmarUnited4ever

I watched Aaron play for the past 18 months (since he signed), and I liked his 1v1 ability, his tackling, interceptions, blocking crosses and recovery pace, not the best in the air, but not that bad really, and usually fullbacks aren't very strong in the air

My issues is his on the ball ability which i can't understand, some moments he will dribble past opponents or give a nice pass to a forward player on his own half, or exchange a nice one-two, and sometimes his touch is loose and he misplaces the pass!!.. perhaps he will improve there with time.

however, he hasn't played with a "Natural Right Winger/Forward" in Ole's preferred 4231 formation, Greenwood cuts to his left and attacks the space to shoot, Mata tucks into the center to exchange passes with Bruno or Martial or Rashford, he didn't play with a winger who uses his overlapping runs (Shaw and Telles are sometimes found by Rashford or Bruno when overlap), and as everyone can see, United play mostly from the left and overload that area, and once Shaw or Telles go up, Maguire goes to the left back area to cover, Lindelof comes to the center and Wan Bissaka drops back (which seems how Ole prefers his team to shape his defense when in possession and attacking from wide, Shaw also drops back if Wan Bissaka is high up)...

I still have high hope for him and as the topic suggests, perhaps we will need someone to cover him if Williams is moved on, I like Trippier and he is a quality player but i doubt he would be happy to play second fiddle to Wan Bissaka.

Perhaps someone like Max Aarons who could be tempted to join a big club, is young and willing to compete for a starting place against Wan Bissaka.

I also like Jonny from Wolves if he was fit, he is quite versatile and might be willing to be a backup to Wan Bissaka

Reactions: Jippy

Stacks

Rafael wasn't a better RB than Valencia, and including Fabio is laughable. Wouldn't mention Fabio playing in a CL final as a positive - we had no other option and he was shown up as being out of his depth, unfortunately. Wasn't he sent out on loan 1 year later? Also Rafael/Fabio were bit parts in one of the best teams in our history. It didn't matter whether we played Hargreaves/Brown/Smalling/Jones/Rafael/Fabio/Young/Valencia at RB because the other 10 positions were so strong.
I said Rafael was better than Wan bro. Valencia too was shown up vs Barcelona but doesn't mean he is a bad winger. Rafael was a better player than AWB. there, I said it

dinostar77

I'd definitely welcome the experience of Trippier. Local lad from Bury as well.

More than enough games for him to displace AWB and vice versa over a full season, Let's see if we can get him cheap in the summer.
Yep experienced RB is whats needed. A different option to AWB (who i really like and who is stoll developing). Gives laird time to develop out of the limelight for a few years to see of he can make the step up to compete with AWB.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We need first option right back. AWB is excellent rotation option to have but that is it. Complete rb is what we need. Someone like Shaw who is good in attack and defence.