Who do you class as "deadwood" in the current squad?

MrSingh2002

With Juan Mata's current resurgence and alot of players now gone who we all knew had seen better days...

With no more Sanchez, Young or Smalling. Pereira and Dalot out on loans and in the shop window.

Who is left that you would identify as deadwood?

I'd go with sell/release on a free:
Jones

Can have one more season before a ruthless decision can be made:
Rojo
Shaw
Bailly
Lingard

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Romero - only due to us recalling Henderson though
Jones - seriously just retire, you're utterly useless
Lingard - he's out of contract in the summer isn't he?
Rojo - can't believe he's still here tbh and I guess proof that we might not have seen the last of Andreas and Dalot just yet

Those are the 4 that surely can't survive another year at the club after them I think you're looking at Dan James next unfortunately just as the drop off from the normal front 3 and him is just so huge that even as an impact sub he's now looking pretty useless

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rojo
Romero (because he’s not needed anymore)
Lingard
Jones - probably the biggest due to overstaying his welcome by half a decade

With regards to Bailly, I’m on the fence. He’s like Anderson for me, no matter how bad he might be and how injury prone. I still think he has something to offer.

Tibs

A bit tight to call Romero deadwood imo

Jesse will have a role to play this season I feel

Jones - We should gift him to a club as a good will gesture

Bailly - Too many injuries

Ole has done a good job of moving players on, gotta give him that

Strats

I'd want Lingard, Rojo and Jones gone as soon as possible.

Romero is unfortunately expendable aswell considering that we are stacked in the goalkeeping department, he is a good keeper who deserves first team football elsewhere

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Romero - harsh to call him deadwood, more surplus to requirements. Club should've engineered a move for him this year.

Jones - speaks for itself, way too injury prone so doesn't play enough to be of any worth. Cant see who would want him tbh.

Bailly - plays less than Jones.

Lingard - his days are numbered, cant see him even making may squads this year and I don't see him as being capable of forcing himself into contention.

Rojo - cant even be arsed to explain that one.

el3mel

Shaw and Romero aren't deadwood. That's a little bit harsh.

Rojo, Jones and Lingard definitely are.

The squad has improved a lot in terms of quality over the past few years to be honest. Though not all of our signings in Ole's reign we can agree on, we got rid of many players that have no business being here.

ravi2

I cannot believe Jones is still at United. He has managed to overstay his welcome more than Anderson.

edcunited1878

It's Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Romero, and I'd throw in TFM. Ighalo's time is coming to an end as well, but his role has been very clear.

The first two don't even make themselves available for selection for whatever reason. United only have 3 senior centerbacks, there's no other senior CB to push them or to play a different centerback pairing for a domestic cup game. Lingard and Romero are coming up on their last six months of their contracts and the positions in the squad have been taken over by VDB/Mata (Lingard) and Henderson (Romero).

Everyone else in the first team not on loan has some function and has featured thus far.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Romero
Jones

Rojo

Lingard
Bailly

Tuanzebe (probably, although he deserves a chance to prove me wrong, I'm just sick of injury prone defenders)

Ollie Derbyshire

Deadwood - Jones, Rojo, Grant, Ighalo
Happy to go but not deadwood - Romero, Lingard, TFM, James
Keep in the squad - Mata

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
........................Grant............................

........TFM........Jones...........Rojo

.............James.......J.Lingz......

Waiting list.
Ighalo,Bailly,Romero.

Last edited:

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
With Juan Mata's current resurgence and alot of players now gone who we all knew had seen better days...

With no more Sanchez, Young or Smalling. Pereira and Dalot out on loans and in the shop window.

Jones

Rojo
Shaw
Bailly

Lingard
If we have adequate cover Id let all 3 of them go.

Paul_Scholes18

I think everyone could still prove value if we get injuries and problems.

Our injury prone central defenders is a problem though.
Jones, Rojo and Tuanzebe. You can't trust them to be ready when needed.
I don't even how a clue if they are ready now or not or all out for a long time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  • Romero
  • Grant (basically a coach anyway though)
  • Jones
  • Rojo
  • Ighalo (loan til January only so no biggie)
These are definites. Lingard and Mata still have their roles as squad players, especially given that we don't have that many attackers. If you look at players who can or will play in our front 4, it's Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, Cavani, James, VdB, Mata, Lingard. That's 2 attacks, plus 1 extra. Any attacker we sign will knock one of Lingard/Mata/James into being unnecessary. Probably Lingard, as Mata seems like he'd be happy enough in his role retiring here. Lingard is still at an age where you expect he'll want regular football, so I'd guess he'll move on.

cyril C

Jones and Rojo should be let go on a free, no point struggling due to accounting issue.

Lingard can contribute in cup games, wait and see for another season

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Mata's form needs to be established over a longer run of games to be called a resurgence. But I would rather have him than Lingard. Jones, Lingard and Rojo are the only remaining absolute deadwood.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Rojo - can't believe he's still here tbh and I guess proof that we might not have seen the last of Andreas and Dalot just yet

Those are the 4 that surely can't survive another year at the club after them I think you're looking at Dan James next unfortunately just as the drop off from the normal front 3 and him is just so huge that even as an impact sub he's now looking pretty useless
As if ole's gonna let him go, he'll give him 2-3 games, do the bare minimum and extend for 4 more years.

You hear it first

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Mata's form needs to be established over a longer run of games to be called a resurgence. But I would rather have him than Lingard. Jones, Lingard and Rojo are the only remaining absolute deadwood.
True, but many here, myself included, had basically written him off at this point, which just shows how fickle fans are. I'd honestly keep him just for the positive influence he is, even if he only plays 15 games a season. Model pro and a great character

Agreed on the deadwood too, which also is another reason this was such a shit summer window. Why are so damn slow in the market? These players hardly play at all, so its no point keeping them around.

CG1010

Lingard is a deadwood as soon as VDB arrived. Barring injuries I don't see any role for him going forward.

Extremely harsh by the OP to call Shaw deadwood. We have to see how Telles performs and as of now Shaw is the first choice LB. Even at worst, I imagine Shaw would certainly be an important player against top teams where we need a solid defence.

Kopral Jono

There are tiers to deadwoodery and Rojo has to be the deadest of all our deadwood.

You can’t call Shaw deadwood. He’s currently our No 1 left back. Telles has been here a week.

Rojo and Jones without question.

hadn’t actually seen Dalot had gone out on loan. Is he going to get game time, or just be used as cheap cover? Has no future either way.

those are the only ones. They could go tomorrow and no one would even notice.

Bailly is nowhere near good enough. He’s maybe not quite in the deadwood pile, but on borrowed time.

Lingard, and Romero also need to go. But they aren’t deadwood, just fallen behind in the pecking order

lysglimt

Scout
Resurgence?

It's one bloody match ffs
2 - he was good in the cup game as well. But used correctly, Mata can always be useful because he is so smart and has a brilliant left foot.

stevoc

Never underestimate Phil, he's got a contract for another 3 years with an option for a 4th and i firmly believe he'll be here for at least another 3 years.

As we saw in the window that just closed there is simply no interest in him from other clubs. And the reasons are simple he's on too much money, too injury prone and too average/shit.

This is his testimonial year, he has been on record as saying he didn't want one as he was afraid no one would turn up. Well with Covid restrictions there probably won't be anyone allowed in now anyway.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
2 - he was good in the cup game as well. But used correctly, Mata can always be useful because he is so smart and has a brilliant left foot.
Not this again, we've had him for 7 years and suddenly he's re surging. He had a good game because our opponent have forgotten he existed, give him 2-3 good runs they'll assign a hatched man on him and he's back to useless Mata.

For the love of god, you gotta love the caf, you're never really finished as long as you pop a good game very odd year.

He's not smart, he looks smart, blogs nicely, but he's anything but smart. Don't let his chappy nice look fools you, he's been deadwood for as long as Moyes. Smart is something you attribute players like Scholes/Pirlo/Giggs that ages like a fine wine. Mata is not smart, he can't even reinvent his game with all his skills.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
RoJones
Grant
Lingard

Just 4
(7 if we're still including Dalot, Andreas and Joel Pereira)

Deadwood potential: James, Axel, TFM, Bailly, Matic, etc.
We'll see how it goes...
Axe/TFM/Matic/J.Perreira shouldn't fall under deadwoods to be fair

They are youth prospect, it's not expected for youth prospect to made it, anything more than fringe player is a bonus. Matic isn't a deadwood, if he's sold to Italian Serie A you'll see his career reignite, it's our manager that can't formulate a formation that makes the best use of the squad.

High press with Slow midfielder and a slower CB

Matic can still do a job, as long as that job is not tracking EPL runners.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not this again, we've had him for 7 years and suddenly he's re surging. He had a good game because our opponent have forgotten he existed, give him 2-3 good runs they'll assign a hatched man on him and he's back to useless Mata.

For the love of god, you gotta love the caf, you're never really finished as long as you pop a good game very odd year.

He's not smart, he looks smart, blogs nicely, but he's anything but smart. Don't let his chappy nice look fools you, he's been deadwood for as long as Moyes. Smart is something you attribute players like Scholes/Pirlo/Giggs that ages like a fine wine. Mata is not smart, he can't even reinvent his game with all his skills.
He's actually been decent for the better part of this calendar year when called upon.

sillwuka

Interesting how opinion can change so quickly on Mata. Create this thread 1 month ago and he would appear on everyone's list.

I like Mata and he offers something different but we really need to let him go at the end of the season and bring in a quality replacement.

GBBQ

Interesting how opinion can change so quickly on Mata. Create this thread 1 month ago and he would appear on everyone's list.

I like Mata and he offers something different but we really need to let him go at the end of the season and bring in a quality replacement.
Yes but deadwood really are the players who are no longer useful or productive. Mata has proven that he can be impactful (in two of our six games played so far this season) so while it doesn't make him an automatic starter or a player to hang your hopes on in the long term he's definitely not deadwood by the definition of the word.

archiebald

Jones

Rojo
Shaw
Bailly
Lingard
Jones and Rojo have to go so we can actually get another CB to partner Maguire and have Lindelof downgraded to #3. Would not renew Lingard's contract so Pellestri can get more playing time.

Bobade

Mata would never have been on my list. He is a clever player who has lost pace and can definitely be used in the right situation. Yes, I'd like us to bring in a quality replacement due to his age etc, but I would hardly call him deadwood.

To me, deadwood describes players who are basically stealing a living. Not that I mean that as an insult to them, the club gave them the contract after all.

But players like Jones, Rojo, and TFM to a lesser extent are basically contributing nothing.

sillwuka

Yes but deadwood really are the players who are no longer useful or productive. Mata has proven that he can be impactful (in two of our six games played so far this season) so while it doesn't make him an automatic starter or a player to hang your hopes on in the long term he's definitely not deadwood by the definition of the word.
You're right, I'm guilty of calling him 'Deadwood' per se in the past but that's harsh.

There's still an inherent belief that he will produce a game changing moment even with little game time. I don't give him enough credit.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's actually been decent for the better part of this calendar year when called upon.
This is the recurring theme with United post SAF. We think they're back, in truth they're just surprises to the opponent who doesn't expect them to play hence they have a little day out. Once they start making runs then teams could easily nullify them. It's like Daniel James, teams doesn't know what to expect, now that team does he's back to Championship level player.

So... unless Mata starts doing it week in week out then he's not back in my eyes.

Bwuk

Romero - no fault of his own. Great keeper but we've got Henderson and De Gea so he won't play.
Grant - we could probably get away with having Bishop or Kovar as the third choice keeper, it's extremely unlikely that De Gea and Henderson will both be out at the same time.
Jones - don't really think anything needs said here.
Rojo - he's probably our 5th/6th choice CB at this point, is he really required? I actually like Rojo at CB but it's clear Ole doesn't.
TFM - just isn't good enough.
Lingard - not good enough.
James - not good enough.
Ighalo - not good enough.

We've got others such as Bailly, Fred etc who I'd happily move on but we'd need to sign someone to replace them in the squad. The above we could get rid of and not even notice.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Romero because of dean (deserved to play those cup games ole is a knob for droping him)
Rojo not good enough
Jones not good enough and injuries
Bailly because of injuries
Matic because of age. Doesnt have the legs to do the job we need.
Fosu mensa (what is he good at?)

For players people consider deadwood:

Id keep lingard because i still think he has squad player quality and is a manc. He is getting up there in age though so maybe 2 more seaons max.

Id keep james because hes still young and raw and deserves more time to develop. He wasnt signed to perform at a worldclass level within 1 season.

Id keep mata because hes still performs when asked upon and is okay with his role at his age. Also a great rolemodel to have at the club.

Id keep shaw because behind telles hes a really decent back up. Has a good performance in him as well. Replacing him isnt worth it a the moment with so many other problematic positions.