Who does our signings?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Beginning of last season when Jose was smugly talking about how he's ok with transfers despite getting 3 out the 4 targets on HIS list. All forgotten now
Okay. But what happened this Summer?
We only made 1 first team signing, while MCFC finished 19 points ahead of us the previous season.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's reported that Spurs contact us over Alderweireld. Some reports say they wanted Mata or Martial. I don't think Toby was unobtainable in the summer at all. Mata + cash or straight cash deal. Would have improved us quite significantly.
Reports also suggest that he had a clause saying he can leave Spurs next year for £25m - if that is the case then I'm not surprised that Spurs want to cash in on him now, but I would also not be surprised if we choose to wait a year

But then this is all just media speculation and could be complete bollocks - I think the majority of stuff reported in the media about transfers is probably made up

JMack1234

Mourinho has state numerous times that he gives a list to Woodward who then goes and attempts to buy the players. Every player we've signed has been approved by Mourinho.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Agreed but I wouldn't discount that the amount of cash they wanted might not have been agreeable to United. Levy is notorious for getting the best deal and the fact they bought no one might suggest they were relying on a player swap deal because of the stadium issues.

Interesting to think if this was the reason they didn't move on Toby because it would allow Spurs to strengthen in other places.
I thought in the summer we shouldn't spend more than 50m on him, but even if it had been 60m or Mata + cash, I think it was an obvious thing to do, which would also take pressure of the two young defenders and help them develop. More than just signing a single player really.

Reports also suggest that he had a clause saying he can leave Spurs next year for £25m - if that is the case then I'm not surprised that Spurs want to cash in on him now, but I would also not be surprised if we choose to wait a year

But then this is all just media speculation and could be complete bollocks - I think the majority of stuff reported in the media about transfers is probably made up
It's very difficult to know anything as there is no transparency and loads of journos writing with highly varying degrees of integrity. Waiting a year for Toby though just to save some cash is being content with top 4 instead of trying to bridge the gap. For a club in our position it is embarrassing, if that's the case. We needed him now.

I guess the transparency about things won't really come through until Jose is no longer United manager and talks freely about his time here.

fellaini's barber

Okay. But what happened this Summer?
We only made 1 first team signing, while MCFC finished 19 points ahead of us the previous season.
So? How many did Poch sign this summer? Is that why we we're being thumped by Brighton? Is that why we still can't play any decent attacking football after two seasons?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Ah yes, good old penny penching Ed. What's he ever done to suggest he's not going for the cheapest option? Well, aside from world record costing Pogba, but other than that, noth... well, there was PL record Di Maria, oh and then PL record striker Lukaku, oh and then Martial, the 2nd most expensive teenager ever, oh and I guess Shaw, the most expensive teenage defender ever, but like... apart from that .. oh well, Sanchez, he gave him the biggest PL contract ever. I guess we have also been the world's biggest spending non-oil club since he took over too, but OTHER THAN THAT DAMMIT, he's been a stingy mother f*cker!
Two words: marketable assets.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
The board as a collective unit will approve all signings but only if they were on Joses wanted list. If they are on Jose’s wish list and the board vote is favourable and within the range of fees agreed agent, wages, transfer etc then it’s simple. Go for it.