Who else is excited about next season's defence?

Red_toad

Agreed.

AWB looks so much better than Shaw, that’s the level we should aim for. He’s the weak link in that back 4.

Assuming Maguire and AWB settle in, we’ve got the strongest defence we’ve had since Ferguson left.
I'd say we'll have more issues with lack of pace if Maguire and Lindleof are going to be the starting duo. Shaw is fine as a defender, makes the odd mistake but so do others and it's just brushed off as they're fan favourites.

Carl S Bridge

I'd say we'll have more issues with lack of pace if Maguire and Lindleof are going to be the starting duo. Shaw is fine as a defender, makes the odd mistake but so do others and it's just brushed off as they're fan favourites.
Shaw was double player of the year last year and all of a sudden he's the weak link.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
We're getting close to a first eleven i would be happy with, if the Dybala rumors end up in a transfer.

Martial - Dybala - Rashford
Pogba -

Shaw - Maguire - Lindelöf - AWB
De Gea

I think McTominay might prove to be good enough for the spot beside Pogba.
Out of those my worries are in Martial's work-rate, Rashford's technical ability (and willingness to pass to a open team-mate), Shaw's injury history and Lindelöf being "ok" rather than good in my eyes.
Meaning if we do end up signing Sancho, a proper DM and backup for Shaw next summer window then I'll hopefully be content with quality in the first team as well as the talents we have in attack being given chances. It would be the first time since Ronaldo's years where I would feel like we have a first eleven that has a set standard in every position.
(not saying it would be better than some of our title-winning squads post Ronaldo, before someone jumps down my throat)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Apart from AWB none of them are world class but it's a good defence.

SAFMUTD

We should be rock solid in the back now, it will mostly depend on whether Maguire can show the leadership that we lacked last season and if we will have DDG or his last year impresionist at goal.

I would’ve liked more offensive fullbacks to provide with to the team, but defensively AWB is as good as it gets and Shaw is pretty solid to.

We should be much better than last season.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Don’t understand the sudden downer on Luke Shaw, Lindelof aside you’ve got next seasons england defence. It’s a massive mark up for you between them Maguire and awb will save a fair few points and Luke Shaw was last years player of the season for you!

wolvored

I think its a decent defence Shaw -7 Lindelof - 7 Maguire -8.5 Wan - 9 out of 10. Hopefully De Gea will resort to his form prior to last season. Maguire can put the ball in the net as well so a small increase in goals spread around.

m1tch

It's looking like a good defence on paper, very attack minded. So let's hope we have a better option than having that statue of Matic to lineup in front of them.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Don’t understand the sudden downer on Luke Shaw, Lindelof aside you’ve got next seasons england defence. It’s a massive mark up for you between them Maguire and awb will save a fair few points and Luke Shaw was last years player of the season for you!
It's less a downer on Luke Shaw, who had a good - not great - season but more a reflection of the extra quality around him. And I reckon Shaw can still improve plenty, especially going forward.

Infestissumam

no more De Gea hoofing the ball towards Lukaku or Fellaini, but actually playing out of the back with ball-playing CBs. What kind of sorcery is this?!

can't wait to see it all in action.

Pavl3n

I really don't get why Shaw is getting so much stick. He's been solid throughout the entire season. He's chipped in with a couple of assists and has been good going forward. Totally shut out Messi in the game at Old Trafford.
Back four is looking solid. I think top 4 should be the bare minimum and next summer we should sort out the RW (thinking Sancho).

criticalanalysis

The number of English defenders we have is insane.

Jones, Smalling, Shaw, AWB, Maguire, Young and Tzuanabe.

Damn actually we could field a pretty decent all English team:

Henderson

AWB Maguire Tzuanabe Shaw

Young Jones Lingard

Gomes Rashford Greenwood

AFC NimbleThumb

Verdict still out for me on Shaw & Lindelof.

Shaw - Still very injury-prone & I just don’t see what he does particularly well. Defensively he made some howlers last season & offensively he’s anonymous.

Lindelof - I’m just never impressed with the guy; he’s a typical front runner type. Points the finger and looks the part when things are going well but gets turned or outmuscled then suddenly his heads gone.

Maguire needs to seriously stand out as AWB already looks the part.

ManchesterYoda

Why do so many posters keep putting Maguire at RCB and Lindelof at LCB? Makes zero sense. Lindelof is much better playing RCB and Maguire is the one that plays LCB.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
AWB yes... Shaw I'm pretty happy with whilst accepting he's not a world beater. Centre backs... Meh. I've never been impressed with Maguire whenever I see him for England, Lindelof is good but not great (he's weak in the air and he often infuriates me on the ball)... And we know what we get with Smalling (solid defending until he has a mare of the game) and Jones (see Smalling but less solid and more injuries)

Happy to be proven wrong though

cyril C

I won't be surprised to see Smalling end up at Newcastle by the time the transfer dealings are done. Either him or Tuanzebe as a part of a swap plus cash deal for Longstaff...but our first 4 defense looks as solid as anyones with Maguire and AWB coming in...

I have seen consistent and persistent abuse on Smalling, who for a few seasons unfortunately has been our ONLY consistent CB. When we have Rojo and Darmian warming the bench and never play even when fit, Jones being fit every 3 months for 2 months, and Bailey - OK leave him alone for the time being. Smalling is our LEAST problem and we definitely need him as 3rd choice CB, unless you think the club will spend another 60m for a backup CB....

Marcus

Finally! This is a base upon which to build a title winning team! Woo hoo! Erm not excited at all.

minh_loc_xoay

Shaw -- Lindelof --- Maguire --- Awb
De Gea

This thread might backfire on me, but honestly I am really excited to see how this defence functions. If our full backs can increase their offensive output, we should have a fluid buildup from the back next season. I feel optimistic right now.
The moment one of them gets injured, we are immediately back to a disjointed defence...

SCJY

Don't understand the stick Shaw gets at all either, because last season he was the only performant fullback. I believe with a more balanced defence like we have now, he could further shine. Jury is still out on him, so he needs at least this season before a full assessment can be made on him.

Personally, I'm very happy with him and can't wait to see him part of our new look defence next season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well I'm excited. AWB and Maguire are solid signings. I'm happy with all four positions in the back line with probably Shaw now being the weakest.

Greck

Shaw went from our POTY to our weakest starting 11 defender

Levels.
Yeah Shaw doesn't deserve this stick. In fact he may be the best ballplaying defender in that back 4. We just take for granted his ball carrying and passing. AWB may be a better tackler but he's got nothing on Shaw's on ball ability

hobbers

AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw Not half bad on paper at least.

Shaw's fitness is the weak link. And not really having good cover there. Young isn't good enough on either side now. Dalot is better as a winger. Smalling and Tuanzebe are at least good cover for CB.

Fer

I may be wrong but it looks a bit slow the partnership Lindelof-Maguire.

IMO we overpaid for Maguire but at least we have a new defender. I hope he does well.

Are you more excited with Maguire compared when we signed Bailly?

Pavl3n

Yeah Victor and Harry are slow, but I think Tuanzebe will develop well and could become a good partner for Maguire.
Also Smalling could form a good partnership with Maguire, too. Smalling's good at defending and defending only, while Maguire could add what Mike's missing.

I think we will be definitely more solid. And AWB brings great balance to the entire defense.

If Matic is restricted to only PL action, then he'll have the legs to be at his best and I think he still has a lot to offer. Looking forward to it.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I have seen consistent and persistent abuse on Smalling, who for a few seasons unfortunately has been our ONLY consistent CB. When we have Rojo and Darmian warming the bench and never play even when fit, Jones being fit every 3 months for 2 months, and Bailey - OK leave him alone for the time being. Smalling is our LEAST problem and we definitely need him as 3rd choice CB, unless you think the club will spend another 60m for a backup CB....
My post was in no way a slight to Smalling. I just see him as the one to make way. Jones just signed a new deal and Smalling is the one with some value that a club like Newcastle might want. Sometimes you have to give up a player to get a player, and if we really want Longstaff I can see him as part of the deal seeing as he just went from a starting position to a squad player...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Shaw needs replacing and that defense.will.srill have a challenging time with Matic and his walker ahead of them.

UpWithRivers

People are nuts. Shaw player of the year sht. AWB couple of friendlies...best player ever! Get rid of Shaw! Common. Its ridiculous.
I like our defense. I pray they all stay fit and we play the same 4/5 for 90 percent of games.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I honestly can’t wait to just watch Lindelof. He has transformed into a rolls Royce of a defender for us. So enjoyable to watch these days

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have high hopes on the defense this season. Maguire is very good ball playing CB and also plays as LCB. Lindelof is very good when he plays as RCB. Then we have AWB who looks very good addition.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Shaw -- Lindelof --- Maguire --- Awb
De Gea

This thread might backfire on me, but honestly I am really excited to see how this defence functions. If our full backs can increase their offensive output, we should have a fluid buildup from the back next season. I feel optimistic right now.
Maguire will be the left center back and Lindelof the right center back. But yes, it is very exciting to finally see some proper defenders in our back 4. Add to that Tuanzebe will be able to come in as well.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Shaw - Lindelof - Maguire - Wan Bissaka

It looks promising and we can settle our defence for years, but... our bench isn't that good and when you realise how much injuries we usually have during the season... I'm not that calm, I must admit.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Shaw and Lindelof were arguably our two most consistent performers last year. Now we look at that back 4 and they're the ones that look like the weaker links (on paper. AWB and Maguire need to prove it out on the pitch first).

That's a good thing though. That's how transfers and squad building should work.

JK-27

Very excited. Looks a very good defence although I think the jury is still out on Shaw.
But the jury is in on AWB and he's fine, considering to date he's played 1 Prem season at Palace and that's it? AWB is at the same stage as when Shaw left Southampton to join us, a very promising talent. Time will tell whether he can handle the step up.

-Supreme-

The only area that concerns me with the defence is the strength in depth in the FB positions