Who else is excited about next season's defence?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I mean we are getting to the stage where we have so many centre backs that we can nearly fill a team... so if things go wrong we can really park the bus!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Looks as solid as anyone's back line. All of them can and will play out from the back, too. Let's hope Matic is nowhere near our starting XI so they can get a least a modicum of protection. It's scary how important Mctominay has become.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am excited about seeing how high both fullbacks play.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I mean we are getting to the stage where we have so many centre backs that we can nearly fill a team... so if things go wrong we can really park the bus!
We'd have to rename this tactic to parking the ambulance.

SteveW

With the midfielders we have the defense will need to be fantastic

SteveW

Looks as solid as anyone's back line. All of them can and will play out from the back, too. Let's hope Matic is nowhere near our starting XI so they can get a least a modicum of protection. It's scary how important Mctominay has become.
I'm scared. Matic can't move. Herrera hasn't been replaced.

We are very weak there with all of them fit. We are one injury away from being absolutely walked through.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm scared. Matic can't move. Herrera hasn't been replaced.

We are very weak there with all of them fit. We are one injury away from being absolutely walked through.
Particularly in the high press system Ole wants to play. The DM needs mobility to plug the gaps when the press is beaten, and not just stand on the toes of the CBs as Matic does.

SteveW

Particularly in the high press system Ole wants to play. The DM needs mobility to plug the gaps when the press is beaten, and not just stand on the toes of the CBs as Matic does.
100% Fingers crossed they've something up their sleeves. Supporters can be dumb as hell but you'd imagine Ole and the staff are well aware of the problem we have in that position. You'd have to be blind to not see Matic can't handle the high press style.

Hard to think they won't do something about it even if it's just a stopgap. My feeling is they'll have another go for Longstaff. If Newcastle are interested in Jones perhaps something can be done. Sort out midfield and I'd genuinely be excited for next season.

Gordon S

I'm excited to see what Ole's plans are. Maybe he don't want to play with a classic dm and give more space to Maguire and Lindelöf who both are decent on the ball? Both can step upfield a bit and not look completely out of place. Could improve our attack a lot if all cm's had freedom to stepup and join attack.

spaceboyRSA

Why all the doubts about Shaw. Wasn't he our player of the year last year. Sure that probably doesn't say much, but does imply he isn't exactly shit. We haven't changed that many players to drop him so far down the pecking order.

For what it's worth, I think we've gone from one of the shittier defences to at least having a defence worthy of top four. If we dont do well this year, I dont think it will be because of our defence.

RedDevilRoshi

For the first time in a very long time, I can say we have a very solid looking backline.

There were two massive gaping holes to address this summer and that was RB & CB.

From what I’ve seen of AWB in pre-season, I feel he’s going to be a fans favourite. That RB position has been a problem position for a very long time and he looks absolutely defensively solid (not surprised that he had the best defensive stats for a EPL RB last season) and is nowhere near as bad offensively as people on here suggested.

It’s been pretty clear all summer that Ole’s number one target for CB was Harry Maguire and I’m glad we have finally got our man. He’s the sort of CB we’ve been crying out for since Ferdinand & Vidic. A commanding, no-nonsense leader. Maguire will also give us a threat from set pieces as well now. Something our other CB’s don’t really provide.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah Shaw doesn't deserve this stick. In fact he may be the best ballplaying defender in that back 4. We just take for granted his ball carrying and passing. AWB may be a better tackler but he's got nothing on Shaw's on ball ability
The boys do call Shaw the Tiki-taka master as apparently he is king of the tight passing drills.

Does look a solid back line although it would be better if we had an upgrade on Matic infront of them but I also don’t expect Shaw and Bissaka to be the flying wingers so many want. Think they’ll mostly hold a position just behind the press depending on where Pogba and Dybala find themselves if Dybala is signed of course.

Enfant terrible

I like to think in the context of organic rather than mechanical. I think we haven't seen the best of Lindelöf or Shaw yet. I am positive that Maguire s presence will boost their confidence and increase their performance. I am also certain that it will reflect on DDG as well, and we will soon forget his last season performance.

MalcolmTucker

Staggers me how many people put Lindelof on the left side and Maguire at right side of central defence. Also the amount of people who keep saying Lindelof is slow and want Smalling to partner Maguire completely ignoring Ole's noise about playing out from the back.

I'm very very happy with our defence now.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm very happy with it, but DDG needs to seriously raise his game. The end of last season was extremely worrying. A couple more mistakes and I hope Ole has the bottle to put Romero in net.

AWB-Lindelöf-Maguire-Shaw - very good back four. Smalling is a very adept backup.

Kostov

Why all the doubts about Shaw. Wasn't he our player of the year last year. Sure that probably doesn't say much, but does imply he isn't exactly shit. We haven't changed that many players to drop him so far down the pecking order.

For what it's worth, I think we've gone from one of the shittier defences to at least having a defence worthy of top four. If we dont do well this year, I dont think it will be because of our defence.
The same people that were claiming Shaw was shit and Young is better when Mourinho was persisting with Ashley and how he was right, are at it again telling us how Shaw is not good enough.

He's a pretty good LB and will want to improve on that, if he doesn't he will be replaced eventually by someone better, same goes for Lindelof.

To answer the topic, NO I'm not very excited about next season defense with Matic and Fred as projected CDM. Both are not good enough and we need a proper CDM.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I am very excited not only about the defensive line, but generally about the season. As I mentioned in numerous posts during summer, Ole has a plan. I was not discouraged by the bad performances in the end of season, I felt Ole got a good sample of data. For the first time after Fergie left, we are seeing long term strategic work at the top. Ole, Ed, scouting and coaching working as a team.

I would like to remind the chronology of the last season.

Ole’s effect:

Ole inherited a team with obsolete system, which passed its peak in mid-2000. A broken 1:0 winning machine. Today, that system would function only if Mourinho gets right players. Very specific niche players like Perisic. Recruiting players of that type is very expensive. It’s a hit and miss buying. I have to mention Ed’s sanity who realized that if Mourinho gets all what he wants, we will spend 1 billion pounds to replace entire first 11 when he leaves. United refused to give JM money last summer for that reason.

Without any investment, Ole went on impressive run. He had to use Mourinho tactics but with much more freedom. That was a time when Ole And the squad showed that they were quite capable. It was an interim fix though. Then, the opposition managers found unrepairable holes.

Major problems post 2018/2019:

Defending as a team: man marking (Mourinho style). Major reason why we leaked so many goals. Midfielders and defenders were making a lot of mistakes, opposition teams targeted our system as a whole. Everton loss is a good example. Everyone failed.

Smalling. Shit at bringing ball forward (Pogba dilemma starts here), shit at zonal marking. Good 1 v1, good at man marking and in the air. We had to play him because our GK is not imposing and doesn’t provide any aerial defense. Troubles against pressing teams.

Young. No comments.

Fitness.

Pogba Dilemma. Not because he’s bad. Quite opposite. The only player who can bring ball out of defense, the only player who can provide a final pass. If he contributes to attack, he’s lazy and not disciplined. If brings ball out of defense he has a bad game because he “is invisible on the pitch”. What the f**k?!

Summer 2019 starts. RedCafe is moaning as usual :)) “Ole sucks, Ed sucks, United sucks...Life sucks”.

1. First signing: James. Important position (RW) but not a key one. Cheap one, Giggs influence. We have nice networking in a highly perspective region, I must note.
2. AWB: MAJOR signing. 50 M pounds, “too expensive, can’t cross blah blah blah”.
3. Pre-season. Every single game one setup. Huge relief. We know how we play, we know who And how we buy. Fitness addressed. Again, a huge relief.
4. Maguire. Never been more sure than about this particular transfer.. just flow of things.
5. Number 10, a forward to replace Lukaku or another CM? (Bruno-Dybala discussions).
6. ?

Defense is sorted. It is one of the best in league on paper now.

Last edited:

Green_Red

Thats a title challenging back 4. No doubt about it. We'll be very hard to beat this year. My bet is on the best defensive record for the seaon is us.

RobbieBerns

This will be the first time since Fergie retired that we’ve had an obvious first choice back 4. By playing every game together, they’re only going to get better as time goes on. A point that I think many are overlooking is how much better DDG will be with the ball at his feet knowing he’ll have a fully competent back line that’s capable with the ball at their feet and playing out from the back.

Shark

@NotShark
Aside from the actual defending, the thing I love the most is the fact that all four of them are actual footballers. They will all contribute to goals which will be a massive help to our attack, especially if we don’t strengthen much more this summer.

Ekeke

Thats a title challenging back 4. No doubt about it. We'll be very hard to beat this year. My bet is on the best defensive record for the seaon is us.
Based on what?

Leicester's defensive record wasnt that good, ours was even worse. And they'll have even less protection than when Ander was here.

Bestietom

Defence will be Ok, but I'm worried about who's in front of them. We need an SSD midfielder. Robbo or Keano type.
Steel
Dynamism
Drive

IrishRedDevil

Shaw has shown more in the PL over the years than Lindelof. Let’s not forget Shaw has had to overcome a devastating injury.

Shaw is also a full year younger than Lindelof. It feels like he has been about for years, but he is only 24.

I like Lindelof, but I feel he is becoming overrated. He has shown he is a solid enough defender, but he has weaknesses such as lack of strength and poor in the air. I’m hoping he can step up another level with Maguire beside him.

Bestietom

Shaw has shown more in the PL over the years than Lindelof. Let’s not forget Shaw has had to overcome a devastating injury.

Shaw is also a full year younger than Lindelof. It feels like he has been about for years, but he is only 24.

I like Lindelof, but I feel he is becoming overrated. He has shown he is a solid enough defender, but he has weaknesses such as lack of strength and poor in the air. I’m hoping he can step up another level with Maguire beside him.
Yes, I have seen this in Lindelof, he lacks that bit of devil in the tackle, and is not commanding enough in the air. But he has improved over last season and he should improve more with Maguire alongside him.

Infestissumam

the amazing thing is that Shaw was one of the better players last year, but is now, after signing Maguire and AWB, seen as a weak link in the back 4 by some. Just goes to show how big the improvement is, on paper at least.

I think we will have a much better defense this season, but we'll probably only see the best of them after we upgrade the DM next summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bit hard to get excited about a defence tbh.

Yakuza_devils

All the back four are comfortable on the ball and also very good at defending. IMO, we have the best defence in the league. Hope DDG will be back to his best too.

Shaw is one of the best defender in the league last season and we haven't even seen his best yet. He can improve a lot next season playing alongside these good defenders.

I'm very excited for the defence next season.

Eli Zee

Looks really good and for some reason it looks like something SAF would use.

Only thing missing is someone in front of the defence. Let’s hope Matic will surprise us all
Unless Matic can get a new pair of legs, I don’t think he’ll be surprising any of us

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This time last year I was in Sunny Beach,Bulgaria and myself and other Utd fans despairing about the coming season. We were proved right!

Lesson: don’t go to Bulgaria pre season

Irwin99

But the jury is in on AWB and he's fine, considering to date he's played 1 Prem season at Palace and that's it? AWB is at the same stage as when Shaw left Southampton to join us, a very promising talent. Time will tell whether he can handle the step up.
That's actually a good point and as fans we do have a tendency to hype up raw talent, which is natural. I've got a good feeling about him though that he'll do well.

Foxbatt

Not me as we need to revamp the midfield. The midfield has been poor from the day of SAF and bringing Pogba has not solved the problem. Getting Dybala, Mario, is not going to sort things out as we still have Martial, Rashford, Greenwood who can play as CF. Not to forget Sanchez is still around. But we have lost Herrera and Fellaini in midfield and we have not replaced anyone of them. Matic is over the hill and Pogba does not want to stay.

Jezpeza

100% Fingers crossed they've something up their sleeves. Supporters can be dumb as hell but you'd imagine Ole and the staff are well aware of the problem we have in that position. You'd have to be blind to not see Matic can't handle the high press style.

Hard to think they won't do something about it even if it's just a stopgap. My feeling is they'll have another go for Longstaff. If Newcastle are interested in Jones perhaps something can be done. Sort out midfield and I'd genuinely be excited for next season.
I agree thats an issue. Hoping perhaps Mctominay can really emerge this year.

ManchesterYoda

With Bailly injured I think CB pecking order should be

RCB = Smalling - Lindelof/Jones - Tuanzebe
LCB = Maguire - Jones/Lindelof - Rojo

Steven-UK

Decent defence now. We just need somebody who can score goals consistently, which we are still sadly lacking.

DoomSlayer

This time last year I was in Sunny Beach,Bulgaria and myself and other Utd fans despairing about the coming season. We were proved right!

Lesson: don’t go to Bulgaria pre season
I'd advise you to not go to Sunny Beach at all, it doesn't do our country justice. :lol:

On topic, super excited to see how we do in defense now. AWB, Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw has huge potential to be an amazing quartet of defenders.