Who had or has the hardest shot?

MikeeMike

Straight away thought of Jimmy Floyd Hass Hasselbaink remembered always thinking I wouldn't want to be a keeper if he win a pen.

Quick Google says he hit a free kick at approximately 230 kph.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/football/5-fastest-ever-recorded-free-kicks-history/5
Well a google calculation says that is 65 meters per second which clearly cannot be possible. Depends on the measurement timeframe i guess. Maybe the first 2 or 3 meters are only considered?

Born2Lose

Always remember being at Old Trafford to the side of a Mark Hughes shot against Sheffield Wednesday.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That is impressive. Keeper is a fanny though! Should have got knocked out :lol:
The funny thing is, Bonhof has scored another free kick against him in the same week during the international games.

He had scored some absolute belters!

harms

Staff
Eder had one of the best left pegs that I’ve seen. Both in terms of the power and precision.
Free-kicks from 0:59

Jack-C20

Not sure if posted but I can’t imagine many have been hit harder than this.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
What are you doubting?
I'm skeptical that a ball can be hit over 100mph. I watched a few videos of a strike and it flashes up the proported speed, I mean that's hardly official verification. I could be wrong though just my feeling was that 90ishmph was about the limit.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm skeptical that a ball can be hit over 100mph. I watched a few videos of a strike and it flashes up the proported speed, I mean that's hardly official verification. I could be wrong though just my feeling was that 90ishmph was about the limit.
They are literally recorded speeds

do you also doubt the speeds of serves in tennis?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The funny thing is, Bonhof has scored another free kick against him in the same week during the international games.

He had scored some absolute belters!
That's just cheating at this point :lol:

harms

Staff
That's just cheating at this point :lol:
I love how you can only see the ball at the beginning and when it’s already in the net, the rest you just have to imagine for yourself :lol:

TwoSheds

In fairness it's not easy to measure the speed of a ball in sport given all the different trajectories and spins etc that can be applied. For example in cricket if you direct a bouncer at someone's head it won't be recorded as being as fast as the same ball directed as a yorker at their feet because it has slightly further to travel if it has go down and back up again. Modern technology should be better at it but it's still not perfect so if we're talking about something Koeman did for example then I would not be at all shocked to find the number was significantly out in reality.

harms

Staff
You have to also understand that the ball is gaining speed in flight, so the recorded speed is the maximum speed and you can “see” it flying slower at the beginning. Still, I envy your eye, it’s quite difficult for me to measure speed accurately just by looking at it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Definitely something going on with left backs...

Mihajlovic
Van Bronckhorst
There's a story that at Lazio, Eriksson put a bet on with Mihajlovic that he couldn't hit the ball over the fence behind the goals at the other end of the pitch. They were in the opposite penalty box at the time and he still managed to get it over the fence. Apparently.

This one from Gio has to be one of the hardest hit I've seen. Taffarel doesn't even move.

youngrell

I was kicking the ball at 98mph on San Antonio beach front back in 2001 :D

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In fairness it's not easy to measure the speed of a ball in sport given all the different trajectories and spins etc that can be applied. For example in cricket if you direct a bouncer at someone's head it won't be recorded as being as fast as the same ball directed as a yorker at their feet because it has slightly further to travel if it has go down and back up again. Modern technology should be better at it but it's still not perfect so if we're talking about something Koeman did for example then I would not be at all shocked to find the number was significantly out in reality.
It's easy for the purposes of this. Distance and time from point A to B. All you need is a decent quality video. Capturing any other movement/spin is largely irrelevant because we are talking about cleanly struck balls.

The main discrepancy is because all the recorded speeds out there aren't comparing like for like due to distance. For example the average speed of a Roberto Carlos free-kick from 35 yards will inevitably be slower than a David Hurst volley from 15 because Bobby's free-kick has had more time and distance to slow down the average.

TwoSheds

It's easy for the purposes of this. Distance and time from point A to B. All you need is a decent quality video. Capturing any other movement/spin is largely irrelevant because we are talking about cleanly struck balls.

The main discrepancy is because all the recorded speeds out there aren't comparing like for like due to distance. For example the average speed of a Roberto Carlos free-kick from 35 yards will inevitably be slower than a David Hurst volley from 15 because Bobby's free-kick has had more time and distance to slow down the average.
Depends where your speed gun is positioned relative to the angle of the shot.

Lebowski

Lmfao ffs i was gonna say this
That Inter side was just impossible to play against.

They had Adriano scoring from anywhere on the pitch, Obafemi Martins the fastest player in the game casually brushing off massive defenders, Recoba with lazer guided free kicks and deciding to score rabonas when he got bored of smashing free kicks in, and Toldo between the sticks who played like Gordon Banks on crack.

They were a good team at the time but jesus whoever did their stats for Pro Evo was definitely an Inter fan!

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Thread title feels a bit dirty... nsfw thread?

Just saying.
I like dirty.

I think "hardest shot" refers more to the strength the player puts into the kick whereas "fastest shot" relates to the speed of the ball afterwards. I know the two are directly related but I wanted it to be more about the effort of the player. Spin and bend may come into it. Does a straight shot go faster than a bent one?

Its semantics and its my question so I can ask what I like. You're being pedantic and not bringing anything to a discussion that seems to have caught the imagination of a few people.

I was thinking of starting a thread about who had or has the longest throw. Would you suggest it should be the fastest throw?

markhughes

I was thinking of starting a thread about who had or has the longest throw.
Dave Challinor had the longest throw I have ever seen, it was ridiculous.

If anyone hasn’t seen his throw then check it out on YouTube, imagine if the crazy gang had this guy in their ranks back in the day.

giggs-beckham

Clueless

No I don't doubt tennis because the speed of serve is measured every time. I just think some of these speeds aren't true just an instinct but I don't think one can kick a football at 130mph.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Will always remember Julian Dicks penalty against us.

Always seemed liked left footers had more of a rocket on them
Well, left footers are clearly more suited to make penalty kicks after all. That’s not a debatable point.

Gavinb33

That Inter side was just impossible to play against.

They had Adriano scoring from anywhere on the pitch, Obafemi Martins the fastest player in the game casually brushing off massive defenders, Recoba with lazer guided free kicks and deciding to score rabonas when he got bored of smashing free kicks in, and Toldo between the sticks who played like Gordon Banks on crack.

They were a good team at the time but jesus whoever did their stats for Pro Evo was definitely an Inter fan!
Used to piss my friend off so much, he was brilliant at the game and I am bang average at computer games, but with Inter I could generally always beat him just get it to Adriano within 40 yards of the goal smash the shoot button see what happens.

As for hard shots Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink used to have a fierce strike iirc

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ronald Koeman for me. Guy shot so hard they always har backup goals in the arena in case the bar bent

MikeeMike

What are you doubting?
simply not possible as I said. 130mph is approx 66yards per second. Equates to approx centre circle to goal. Noone could hit a ball from half way line to the goal in 1second

Supports
England
Does anyone else find it really hard to get a mental image of what most players' average shot speeds look like for reference? It makes it very difficult to compare without looking directly at clips one after the other.

Also the mechanics of kicking a ball can make shots look wildly harder or softer than they are. For example, a volley on a ball coming in from the right direction requires almost nothing on it to get it to go as far and fast as from a stationary start on the ground.

I'm entirely on board with the people who say we need to look at objective stats for this sort of thing. According to one poster's stats, Beckham had a thundercnut of a shot on him, yet I didn't have a mental image of him being a remarkably hard hitter. Another person mentioned that amazing Wanyama goal for Spurs, which I would suggest has the problem described above where it didn't actually require much power to get that result because of the way it sat for him.

MikeeMike

simply not possible as I said. 130mph is approx 66yards per second. Equates to approx centre circle to goal. Noone could hit a ball from half way line to the goal in 1second
The Ronny Heberson goal claims 131mph which is 64yds per second. As the free kick was on edge of box (18yrd line) the shot would have get from boot to goal in 0.2 seconds. Not remotely possible.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
RVP could smash the ball.

alexthelion

Not really, these guys work out more and build more muscle, so only natural to think they hit the ball harder. Some guy playing in the 70’s, never doing weight training and smashing the pub three nights a week isn’t kicking harder than Ronaldo or Roberto Carlos.
The ball's a lot lighter now, though.