Who had the best transfer window?

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
As the title says. Some contenders:

Man Utd:
You can't look past three world class players in one window.
On the downside, hardly sold anyone and didn't add a crucial piece in midfield.

Aston Villa:
Lost Grealish, but invested wisely. Danny Ings is a very capable midtable striker. Buendia and Leon Bailey are solid as well. Plus they added Ashley Young for some experience and Tuanzebe as an option from the bench.

Leicester City:
Added some useful players in Vestergaard, Bertrand and Soumare.
More importantly, they didn't lose Ndidi, Tielemans or any of their other important players.

Chelsea:
Two big additions and a healthy window on the selling side.

Lots of other teams had a solid window, including Spurs, West Ham and Leeds.

Arsenal is the strangest one. Spend more than anyone else, yet they don't seem to have really improved that much.

Our other title rivals had just the one big transfer.

RedDevilRoshi

Us with Chelsea a very close 2nd.

Getting no DM is annoying but if you said to me at the start of the window we’d be signing Sancho, Varane & Ronaldo, I’d be saying you’ve been playing way too much FIFA career mode.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
United had the best transfer window since they got 3 great players while Chelsea only got 2. The difference is that United didn't address the problem in midfield while Chelsea don't really have a position that lacks quality in their squad anymore.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
I think City downgraded personally, Do not think Grealish is anything better then what they have, infact, Foden on the left over Grealish IMO

peridigm

Us with Chelsea a very close 2nd.

Getting no DM is annoying but if you said to me at the start of the window we’d be signing Sancho, Varane & Ronaldo, I’d be saying you’ve been playing way too much FIFA career mode.
I think we inquired about Rice but he's waiting for Chelsea. Could be wrong but I recall seeing he is a Chelsea fan and all that. Not that players don't move to other clubs but it could hold true if he ends up there next season.
Not arsed we missed out on Camavinga. Didn't want to come here by all accounts and he's young and not very experienced. I feel Ole would not have played him much anyway and he could have been thinking about DVB riding the bench and thought, feck that!

I think we had a window not many expected. Sancho was expected but Varane and Ronaldo came out of nowhere really. We've been linked with Varane forever but I don't recall us being linked with him until his contact situation came up so, yeah, came out of nowhere.

Glad we sold James. Seems a good young man but not what we needed. Annoyed we didn't sell others. Stop giving deadwood new contracts FFS. If you're not going to play them, move them on. It's not a charity.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo. It's not even debatable who had the best window.

Even without Ronaldo United killed it. Varane was a massive pick up. No other club brought in a player as good as him.

croadyman

I think we inquired about Rice but he's waiting for Chelsea. Could be wrong but I recall seeing he is a Chelsea fan and all that. Not that players don't move to other clubs but it could hold true if he ends up there next season.
Not arsed we missed out on Camavinga. Didn't want to come here by all accounts and he's young and not very experienced. I feel Ole would not have played him much anyway and he could have been thinking about DVB riding the bench and thought, feck that!

I think we had a window not many expected. Sancho was expected but Varane and Ronaldo came out of nowhere really. We've been linked with Varane forever but I don't recall us being linked with him until his contact situation came up so, yeah, came out of nowhere.

Glad we sold James. Seems a good young man but not what we needed. Annoyed we didn't sell others. Stop giving deadwood new contracts FFS. If you're not going to play them, move them on. It's not a charity.
Well at least when he finally snubs us for them Ole will finally look at sensible alternative cheaper options like Bissouma/Tchouameni because when Pogba leaves we will still need money to fund a replacement as well. I haven't included Ndidi because pretty certain that Leicester will want similar money for him than West Ham for Rice.

Blood Mage

Chelsea had a close to perfect transfer window, although missing out on Kounde was a blow for them. He might have made them title favourites.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
United and Chelsea are the only big teams that considerably improved.

Excluding the big boys, both West Ham and Leicester had excellent windows.

croadyman

United and Chelsea are the only big teams that considerably improved.

Excluding the big boys, both West Ham and Leicester had excellent windows.
You lot edged it for me because addressed your biggest issue whereas we still have a major problem at CDM which will cost us

Cloud7

Us by a significant margin. The only club in world football who had a window on par with us is PSG. No other club had a window that even comes close.

Betson

We can't really complain about our own window , on paper we have greatly improved the quality of the squad , disappointing we did not go all out and get that quality DM that might make us realistic title contenders. I think we will regret that.

Chelsea also done well this window.

krazyrobus

you think Midfield was a weak spot? after striker i thought it was obvious that CB was the next area of weakness
They have one of the best defences out there. I personally consider Georginho the weaklink.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Leicester did well I think. Daka, Soumare and Vestergaard all look like astute purchases.

We probably did well, bit harder to say. Sancho might take a bit of time to flourish. Ronaldo's impact may not be all positive, but could of course be huge.

City bought one of the best players in the league so hard to argue with that. Glad they didn't get Kane or Ronaldo.

Chelsea's business made sense, they needed a striker and there aren't many around that fit the profile. Glad they didn't get Haaland. They will challenge for the title.

Liverpool don't really have issues that needed transfers despite the fans' outcry. Maybe a bit odd they weren't in for Saul though. But Van Dijk coming back is huge and Elliott is more promising than Jones.

Spurs and Arsenal both look like a mixed bag. Also not sure about West Ham spending big on Zouma and Vlasic who both look short of the top level to me.

Flytan

Chelsea by miles. Filled holes in the squad and even signed players to positions that may be weak in a year or two. It's extraordinary.

Us second.

Arsenal 3rd, just have to wait a year or two for those players to mature/also get a good manager.

City 4th

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
United had the best transfer window since they got 3 great players while Chelsea only got 2. The difference is that United didn't address the problem in midfield while Chelsea don't really have a position that lacks quality in their squad anymore.
And that will come back to bite us in the arse as games are mostly won in midfield.

Chelsea addressed all the holes in their squad, CB still could have been icing on the cake for them but they don't have any weakness anymore whereas we are stuck with 4231 and McFred for another year.

Last edited:

croadyman

Chelsea by miles. Filled holes in the squad and even signed players to positions that may be weak in a year or two. It's extraordinary.

Us second.

Arsenal 3rd, just have to wait a year or two for those players to mature/also get a good manager.

City 4th
Yeah extraordinarily easy to do when money is of no object and FFP are just words on a bit of paper

croadyman

And that will come back to bite us in the arse as the team is as games are won in midfield.

Chelsea addressed all the holes in their squad, CB still could have been icing on the cake for them but they don't have any weakness anymore whereas we are stuck with 4231 and McFred for another year.
Yeah Ole, Carrick & Mckenna could well be made to find out the hard way just how costly that decision proves to be

Flytan

Yeah extraordinarily easy to do when money is of no object and FFP are just words on a bit of paper
Yeah obviously. Don't disagree with any of that at all. Still as long as it's allowed, don't have much choice but to think it's the best.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Chelsea had a close to perfect transfer window, although missing out on Kounde was a blow for them. He might have made them title favourites.
Perfect would have been Haaland. Lukaku makes sense give they couldn't get him but he definitely has limitations. Saul has quality but Atletico happy to let him go... shades of Thiago to Liverpool perhaps? They still lack creativity sometimes too...

ChaddyP

They have one of the best defences out there. I personally consider Georginho the weaklink.
I think they lack individual quality in defence. Koude would have been perfect for them especially as a Zouma replacement. I think Jorginho is class especially for them

croadyman

Utd have that chance to make it a 10/10 window next summer but second signing hinges on what happens with Pogba, so if he leaves personally we may well have to pass on Haaland and buy BOTH a CDM and playmaking CM, however if somehow he stays then obviously all in for Haaland and FINALLY get that CDM to secure things nicely in front of Harry & Rapha

Diabovermelho

Definitely United. We are the only team in England that brought in 3 world class players. And also in europe, together with PSG.

Shame it wasn't a 10/10 for us.

But there's no way Chelsea had a better window. CR7>Lukaku. Also, Saul doesn't improve them, he's bench, together with Kovacic. And they failed to bring a CB after selling Zouma.

SmithLogic

Imagine getting Varane and Ronaldo for basically the same price as Ben White. Just imagine it. Oh wait….

SecondFig

Us second.

City 4th
Agree on Chelsea and us.

Think West Ham have had a decent summer (Zouma and Vlasic plus Kral on loan) - but they could really have done with another striker. Leicester's looks solid too.

Not convinced by Arsenal's - they don't look any stronger now than they did in May, and they've spent a lot. That said, they have moved on some ageing high earners (Willian and David Luiz) and have reduced the age of their squad... Maybe with a better manager they could challenge for top 6 but they're still absolutely miles off the top-4

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
you think Midfield was a weak spot? after striker i thought it was obvious that CB was the next area of weakness
We brought Chalobah into the squad, and for his sake, I kinda wanted the Kounde deal to collapse. I couldn't see where the minutes would come for him if we added Kounde to the team, so I'm glad that deal didn't happen.

red4ever 79

Arsenal without a shadow of a doubt. Brought in 5 or 6 really talented youngsters who will all contribute in their fight to stay in the Premier league

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In terms of quality of signings, it’s between us and PSG

Man Utd:
Ronaldo - GOAT
Sancho - best young playmaker WF in Europe
Varane - worldclass CB

PSG:
Messi - GOAT
Donnamurra - best keeper in Euro
Wijnaldum - top class DM
Hakimi - top class RB

In terms of filling the holes in the squad, probably Chelsea.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
4 best for me:

Manchester United. Fixed the most pressing needs in the team. Center defence and a dead right wing. People cock sure midfield is an Achilles heel will be in for a nasty surprise.

Chelsea: brought in a lead striker. Brought in the missing midfielder. Decent window

PSG. Took their squad to a higher level
Added a super keeper. The experience of Ramos to center defence. Hakimi and Nuno Mendes as fullbacks. The excellent Winjauldim in the middle. Plus the incredible Messi upfront. Inspite of being set to lose mbappe for free. Possibly in a year. They have done well. They now truly lack nothing.

Poch simply has to win it all with what he has.

Last edited:

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I think Spurs had a quietly good summer. I think quite a few teams have strengthened in the PL. As a result of the pandemic the PL is the only league really making money and the quality up and down the league is immense. I wouldn't be surprised if the top 4 are all really close together and the points total is on the low side with lots of teams taking points off everyone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Us followed by Chelsea. We added a top goalscorer, CB and a hugely talented RW, three weaknesses upgraded in a summer. Only question is whether midfield will prove to be a problem this year and something we should have prioritised.

Who all have Spurs signed? If someone can list their signings. Gil and Romero seem to be good additions.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Chelsea by miles? Why do you guys always have this grass is greener approach? We signed Sancho, Ronaldo and Varane. I'm lost. It's not even a debate. The CM not being signed is a minus but cmon we signed a better winger than any Chelsea have, a better striker than Chelsea have and a better CB than Chelsea have, we had the best window comfortably. Now Chelsea has a solid squad and are incredibly well coached, their midfield is better(defensively) but trust me, once we are playing at full tilt in the coming months and everyone has beded in, our team will be blowing teams away for fun. We have the second best player in the world, to add to an incredibly talented squad, cmon guys you're acting like because we didn't sign Neves or Rice we are weak.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Surely you mean pleasant surprise?
Chief feels the defence was holding the midfield back which isn't actually a problem. So the people he argues with on this topic will get a slap on their faces this coming season. Hence, nasty and not pleasant :lol: