Who had the better season: Chelsea or Liverpool?

kthanksbye

I made that comment in jest more than anything but I don't feel the chance to be world champions is to be sniffed at even if the tournament set up is a bit meh, something that finally seems to be getting fixed.

I think the better season is subjective relative to expectations. Had the two penalty shootouts been flipped it would have certainly been a massive success of a season for us all things considered however in Liverpool's shoes (arguably their best ever squad in the peak of their powers) to miss out on both the big two I think they'll be a lot of regret on their part. I felt similar with us in 06-07 and 07-08 (despite the great United team we battled), to miss out on both the big two with Lamps/Drogs/Essien/Cech etc at their absolute pomp ultimately felt a bit of a wasted opportunity (especially in 2007 when we couldn't take advantage of you dropping points to Pompey/Boro at the business end and we lost that shootout to Liverpool).
It's important to win the CWC, and every team that gets a chance to play it should absolutely be sending their best team to play in it. I wasn't undermining the prestige of the competition, I just think that the credit for winning that competition should be accounted for in the previous season as getting to that competition is more difficult than winning it, same with the super cup. League cup might be mickey mouse, but imo it's still this season's achievement.

b20times

Liverpool winning the two lesser cups without scoring a goal in either is something Paul Daniels would be proud of. Neither team has had the better season, both underachieved.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Obviously Chelsea, because, reasons.

I'll go one further and say Chelsea have been better than Liverpool during the Pep vs Klopp era :lol:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Since Klopp’s arrival:

Premier League : Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1
UCL : Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1
Europe Super Cup : Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1
Club World Cup : Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1
Europa League : Liverpool 0 Chelsea 1
FA cup : Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1
League cup : Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
2nd and two minor cups or 3rd and the World cup and a European trophy.

It's pretty clear.

And lets be honest, those two minor cups Liverpool have were awarded after two draws with Chelsea.