Who had the better start under Ole - Bruno or Pogba?

Walters_19_MuFc

As the question says really.

Making this thread because people having been raving about the start Bruno has made to life in the Premier League, and rightly so. He has been nothing short of amazing, but I think people are forgetting the effect Pogba also made when Ole first arrived.

Obviously, quite a few factors come into play such as new league for Bruno, different formations, different team (both played with and against) etc, so it's not going to be completely valid, but just be nice to hear some opinions.

Both Pogba and Bruno played in advanced positions. Slightly different formations, but both the most advanced of the three midfielders.

Will only do the first 5 games because that's all Bruno has had in the Premier League so far.

Stats (Premier League):

Bruno

Goals: 2
Assists: 3

Pogba

Goals: 4
Assists: 4

Not sure what's going to happen with the current situation, but really hope to these two play together.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Pogba. We went on a ridiculous winning run under caretaker Ole and Pogba stats were ridiculous then.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Pogba was actually playing unbelievably in that period, there was people saying best midfielder in the world which was pretty fair on that form! Doubt this thread will reflect that though, many have selective memory with Pogba.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Pogba had the best start without a question. And that's saying something because Bruno has been phenomenal.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Pogba. We went on a ridiculous winning run under caretaker Ole and Pogba stats were ridiculous then.
We were on a good run before COVID-19 stopped everything. It's possible this run could have been even better with Pogba available. I miss football.

mu4c_20le

Stats wise can't beat Pogba, but I'd still pick Bruno because he came at a time when we were desperate for creative spark, while Pogba was part of that bounce and he never could recreate that form again.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Stats wise can't beat Pogba, but I'd still pick Bruno because he came at a time when we were desperate for creative spark, while Pogba was part of that bounce and he never could recreate that form again.
That’s a bit final considering he’s played so little since then surely.

He'sRaldo

You're judging him from after his start, while you're judging Bruno by his start only. Since Bruno could easily drop off with his 1:1 goal contribution, it's not an equal comparison.

cyril C

What happened after the 1st 5 games, and then the next 5 games? What happen to Pogba-Mourinho in 2nd season?, and 3rd season? What if Bruno flop like Pogba after 5 games? Many questions that I cannot answer.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You're judging him from after his start, while you're judging Bruno by his start only. Since Bruno could easily drop off with his 1:1 goal contribution, it's not an equal comparison.
And Pogba is being judged in a team he’d played in for years, whereas Bruno has only just met them.

The other thing to think about here is - Bruno clearly lifted the entire team, whereas the entire team was lifted when Ole came.

Not knocking Pogba here, but Bruno wins for me. And he’s yet to play with our two best players.

He'sRaldo

And Pogba is being judged in a team he’d played in for years, whereas Bruno has only just met them.

The other thing to think about here is - Bruno clearly lifted the entire team, whereas the entire team was lifted when Ole came.

Not knocking Pogba here, but Bruno wins for me. And he’s yet to play with our two best players.
The issue with that is the circumstances aren't the same, so there will always be caveats. This is why I think it's best to take the question at face value and maybe after answering then add some context, instead of using the context to shape your answer.

For instance, I could say Bruno slotted into an Ole system that has been trained for a while now, while Pogba had to carry a large bulk of the attack for the initial bounce (as seen by our lack of creativity once he was targeted and shut down). And that would simply be another way of looking at things.

However, I'd rather take the question at face value, and when I do, it's hard to answer Bruno over Pogba.

Nikelesh Reddy

As the question says really.

Making this thread because people having been raving about the start Bruno has made to life in the Premier League, and rightly so. He has been nothing short of amazing, but I think people are forgetting the effect Pogba also made when Ole first arrived.

Obviously, quite a few factors come into play such as new league for Bruno, different formations, different team (both played with and against) etc, so it's not going to be completely valid, but just be nice to hear some opinions.

Both Pogba and Bruno played in advanced positions. Slightly different formations, but both the most advanced of the three midfielders.

Will only do the first 5 games because that's all Bruno has had in the Premier League so far.

Stats (Premier League):

Bruno

Goals: 2
Assists: 3

Pogba

Goals: 4
Assists: 4

Not sure what's going to happen with the current situation, but really hope to these two play together.
Pogba probably.He was phenomenal when Ole took over...

RedCurry

I think Bruno shades it for me due to how much he lifted the entire team up and instantly looks like a leader. Pogba though was imperious at the start.

lex talionis

Pogba, but praise the gods Bruno has been fantastic.

After all these years of suffering, we deserve to see these two play together. It really could be something beyond merely special.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not a huge Pogba fan in general but it's not often you see genuine 10/10 performances on a football pitch and he gave 2 or 3 during that purple patch. He is a ridiculous talent.

If he's genuinely committed next season and builds an understanding with Chuta Chuta then we will play some great stuff and he will probably earn his move to Madrid finally.

Canagel

I crowned Pogba as the best midfielder in the world during our initial hot streak
He was not just the best midfielder, he was the best player in the world full stop and causing all kinds of havoc until we made a weird decision and asked him to play defensively again and thanks to this decision we failed to reach top 4 (along with DDG stupid mistakes). Unfortunately his attacking stats were killed but he was still producing 3/4 world class passes a game from deep while doing majority of the defensive work too

Stats from 22 Dec to 24 Feb

He'sRaldo

He was not just the best midfielder, he was the best player in the world full stop and causing all kinds of havoc until we made a weird decision and asked him to play defensively again and thanks to this decision we failed to reach top 4 (along with DDG stupid mistakes). Unfortunately his attacking stats were killed but he was still producing 3/4 world class passes a game from deep while doing majority of the defensive work too

Stats from 22 Dec to 24 Feb
One of the reasons I don't think I'll ever warm to the 4-2-3-1 Ole has insisted on us playing, where Pogba is a 2nd DM.

It just makes no logical sense given what he showed in the 4-3-3, and it makes even less sense to have played him deep and Lingard at no. 10.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Need to price in that Bruno was new to the League and team.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Pogba was lethal during the caretaker spell. When this thread was created I would have said him but has to be Bruno at this stage. He has totally transformed the team.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's a hard pick now but I would say Pogba. He was probably top 3 midfielders in the world that period

Matriac

It's almost impossible to compare. Pogba "start" under Ole meant he still had to play alongside a lot of deadwood, whereas Bruno rocked up to a quite drilled side that just missed a little creative spark. It was easier for Bruno to do well in this specific comparison.

It is essentially asking which player do we think is the better one (while hiding the question behind constraints).
I would prefer to not have to choose. They are both brilliant players that bring a lot to the team in their own ways.

If I had to choose to keep only one of them? Pogba. He is simply outstanding in what he does. His ball delivery looks so effortless that I think that's why a lot of people don't rate him as highly as they should. "Doesn't look like he's trying that hard", cause he's that good.

Bruno is excellent as well, I will cherish having him in the side. I just think that of the two, Bruno is the one that is more easily replacable by another creative player.

I don't know of any better, and don't want anyone else either. But I think it's easier to find the budget version of Bruno than the budget version of Pogba.

Now, both of them in the team? That's amazing, and will help catalyst us to multiple triumphs for many years to come! :devil:

Reactions: roonster09