Who has had the better international career? Messi or Ronaldo?

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It's still Ronaldo but it could change after this world cup as the Argentinian team has a good strike going on and has a more balanced team now.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
As of now Ronaldo but 5his world cup could be the deciding factor depending on them winning it or not.
As of now Messi seems in a much better position to do so.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Why? Messi Has 3 trophies, 7 finals and has been twice player of the tournament with Argentina.
Cristiano has 2 trophies and 2 finals.
What am I missing?

MUW4Eva

Why? Messi Has 3 trophies, 7 finals and has been twice player of the tournament with Argentina.
What am I missing?
An under 23 tournament doesn't really count, in terms of senior level achievements.

kthanksbye

What am I missing?
That you're on the caf.
Messi is so clearly the better player of the two that I'm in shock every time I see people debate about it.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
What am I missing?
Euro is worth much more than any international trophy Messi has won. Copa America is a joke trophy at this point, they might well make it yearly tournament. Not to mention that Argentina is always (along with) Brazil the main candidate to win it.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
That you're on the caf.
Messi is so clearly the better player of the two that I'm in shock every time I see people debate about it.
Messi is or was better than Ronaldo, Messi offered more to the game each time than Ronnie did. Most games would pass Ronaldo by and then he scores a hattrick in the last ten mins. Messi is involved a lot more in the overall gameplay.

Internationally speaking, Ronaldo has had the better career, winning the Euros is quite an acheivement, held every 4 years unlike the Copa which is annually providing more opportunity to win the competiton.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ronaldo won the euros then Messi responded by helping Argentina become the champions of South America and champions of the world. The debate is settled.

youmeletsfly

Ronaldo won the euros then Messi responded by helping Argentina become the champions of South America and champions of the world. The debate is settled.
When did they become "champions of the world"?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Euro is worth much more than any international trophy Messi has won. Copa America is a joke trophy at this point, they might well make it yearly tournament. Not to mention that Argentina is always (along with) Brazil the main candidate to win it.
Seen this a lot, about the Euros being "worth' more than the Copa. It makes no sense and in any case, Messi cannot play in the Euros so we're stuck with what we have. Overall, Messi has been much better in international competitions than Ronaldo, I'm not even sure how that is debatable. Also, the fact that Argentina had won the Copa twice in 60 years before 2021 suggests that it's not quite as easy for them as you would imagine.....

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Seen this a lot, about the Euros being "worth' more than the Copa. It makes no sense and in any case, Messi cannot play in the Euros so we're stuck with what we have. Overall, Messi has been much better in international competitions than Ronaldo, I'm not even sure how that is debatable. Also, the fact that Argentina had won the Copa twice in 60 years before 2021 suggests that it's not quite as easy for them as you would imagine.....
Let the thread die please for the love of all that is good in the world let this thread die and never be resurrected. If there are no replies underneath this post then we will solve global warming and world hunger. The world will heal. As long as this inane point scoring bollocksology continues the world will continue to descend into flames.

Messi is a good footballer. Ronaldo is a good footballer. They are both good footballers. Further analysis is unnecessary, feck me.

Pickle85

Messi is or was better than Ronaldo, Messi offered more to the game each time than Ronnie did. Most games would pass Ronaldo by and then he scores a hattrick in the last ten mins. Messi is involved a lot more in the overall gameplay.

Internationally speaking, Ronaldo has had the better career, winning the Euros is quite an acheivement, held every 4 years unlike the Copa which is annually providing more opportunity to win the competiton.
This is an absolutely terrible take.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Let the thread die please for the love of all that is good in the world let this thread die and never be resurrected. If there are no replies underneath this post then we will solve global warming and world hunger. The world will heal. As long as this inane point scoring bollocksology continues the world will continue to descend into flames.

Messi is a good footballer. Ronaldo is a good footballer. They are both good footballers. Further analysis is unnecessary, feck me.
I mean, you could help the situation yourself by not posting in this thread? But you'd rather demonstrate how you are above such petty squabbles. It's all good bud....

Red the Bear

Something less generic

It seems they're here to stick around.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
What am I missing?
Personally I value the Copa America a lot less than euros, specially with how often they've been playing that tournament lately and relative to his country I think Portugal has done very good in the Ronaldo era, at least beyond expectations. Messi has been doing better lately but I think Ronaldo has been even better for Portugal.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What am I missing?
Argentina has an insane degree of footballing heritage compared to Portugal in fact i think Argentina is one of the only countries to have won more games against Brazil than losing, that just shows you how good they are and were.
They won 15 copa americas and came second an another 14 times while Portugal never won an international trophy in their entire existence, Ronaldo winning his country's first European must surely mean a lot more , quality of the competition aside.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Copa Winner just played Euro winner off the field. This week I think

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
This is such a meh thread tbh, compared to the great elites both fall quite short when it comes to big tournament matches in international career. Especially Cristiano given his poor world cup record. But than gain he is Cristiano, I won't be shocked if he breaks the WC goal scoring record in 2022 edition.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Pretty much even. Messi has better result on World cup so he is maybe slightly better.

Edit;
I forgot in how many finals Messi played (and how much i dislike "slave" Ronaldo) so Messi is better. By far...

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
This is an absolutely terrible take.
So its not true? I can think of quite a few games when he does absolutely nothing for nearly the full game and then scores. Portugal Vs Republic, done nothing the entire game and then scores a hattrick. 70% of the games hes played for United this season, same at Juve. Even at Madrid when he moved into the striker role he was less involved, he doesnt need to be but comparing Ronaldo and Messi overall play then Messi is ahead by a distance.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Italy didn’t qualify for the World Cup failing to beat Macedonia. Stop the bullshit. The answer to this is clear.
They won the Euros.
It's an indictment on the euros.
Same way as if it would have been an indictment on the copa if Argentina failed to qualify for the World cup

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Argentina has an insane degree of footballing heritage compared to Portugal in fact i think Argentina is one of the only countries to have won more games against Brazil than losing, that just shows you how good they are and were.
They won 15 copa americas and came second an another 14 times while Portugal never won an international trophy in their entire existence, Ronaldo winning his country's first European must surely mean a lot more , quality of the competition aside.
People are overstating the Euros here a bit I think. We're talking about a tournament that has been won by Greece, Denmark and Czechoslovakia. Yet people would have you believe it's pretty much the same as winning the World Cup. It is not. Have a look and try and find the last time a team like Greece won the World Cup. Portugal winning the Euros was not astonishing in the slightest; nations with way less pedigree have won it before. However, it was great for them to win their first major prize.

tomaldinho1

Personally I think it’s hard to argue the Copa isn’t essentially a 3 team comp depending on which Chile show up whereas there are much stronger teams in the Euros. That said, it’s kind of irrelevant as Messi can’t help where he’s from. I do think Argentina should have won more Copas but it’s just pointless to compare Ronaldo/Messi outside of their shared time in LL when they were both in good teams and playing against the same opposition.

Pintu

Since the 2 of them started their international careers, 6 different European sides reached a WC final.

European teams won all 4 WC played in that period (3 of them opposed 2 European teams in the final).

This underlines how Messi’s Argentina faced a relatively poor competition in South America and failing to win more trophies there is a failure (a collective one).

For Ronaldo, winning 2 trophies in Europe is more than enough to consider that his Portugal was globally successful.

Pogba ’s international career is better than both. Even though winning for France is easier than winning for Portugal.

GinobiliTheGOAT

This is such a meh thread tbh, compared to the great elites both fall quite short when it comes to big tournament matches in international career. Especially Cristiano given his poor world cup record. But than gain he is Cristiano, I won't be shocked if he breaks the WC goal scoring record in 2022 edition.
He may not even start all the WC matches based on the lineup against Spain.

Gurtej

Since both have started playing football, only European countries have won the World Cup!! Shows how difficult it is to win euro…… hands down Ronaldo!!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Since both have started playing football, only European countries have won the World Cup!! Shows how difficult it is to win euro…… hands down Ronaldo!!
Depends on the opposition. Portugal was completely outplayed by France but managed a jammy win. Without Ronaldo which was no fault of his. However a country like Denmark actually won over the big dogs in Europe in their run and in the final which was far more impressive than what Portugal did.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Since the 2 of them started their international careers, 6 different European sides reached a WC final.

European teams won all 4 WC played in that period (3 of them opposed 2 European teams in the final).

This underlines how Messi’s Argentina faced a relatively poor competition in South America and failing to win more trophies there is a failure (a collective one).

For Ronaldo, winning 2 trophies in Europe is more than enough to consider that his Portugal was globally successful.

Pogba ’s international career is better than both. Even though winning for France is easier than winning for Portugal.
Since they started their careers, the Euros have been won by Greece. In Portugal, against a team featuring Ronaldo. Now which Copa winning team in the same period is as weak as that Greece side? Please let me know.

Furthermore, which of these European behemoths did Portugal actually beat to win in 2016? We know about France, a good side but worse than in 2018 and 2022. And also CR got injured in that game so they essentially won in the final without him. Who else did they beat?