Who has had the better season?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Chelsea. When we won the FA cup and finished 5th it still felt like a disappointing season.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Chelsea.

Fa cup probably needs a revamp, because most teams of that stature would rather Chelsea's finish to the season than arsenal's and it shouldn't be like that.

IAmAWinner

Arsenal! It's not like Chelsea will do anything much in the UCL next season.

Crashoutcassius

Probably Chelsea, but to be fair to Arteta (I know the question is club not manager) I think he has probably done a similar job to Lampard having come in mid season. They have managed to get some performances going towards the back end with a fairly nothing squad, and I thought were better today

Sylar

As a player? You would rather the trophy.

As a fan, in terms of building, I think CL qualification helps more than Europa (and trophy)

I think given the way things have changed, Chelsea.

dbs235

Definitely Chelsea. Fair play to Arsenal for winning the trophy. But 4th to 8th is far too big of a gap. If Arsenal finished 5th and won the FA Cup then I'd say Arsenal.

AshRK

Finishing 8th is shit, no way to cover up that. Chelsea has had a better season hands down.

Cloud7

If you were to ask me which team's season I would have preferred to have, the answer would be Chelsea. Added to that, things look much more promising going forward for Chelsea than Arsenal.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Chelsea lost their best player and brought in a new manager that had only managed in the Championship before and still finished 4th and got to an FA Cup Final. Still in the CL too despite looking like they will be going out.

Arsenal had one of their biggest transfer windows in ages spending 150m yet scraped to 8th in the league and won the FA Cup. Sacked the manager that spent all of that money too. Knocked out of the EL by Olympiacos.

Overall - Chelsea.
Post lockdown - Arsenal.

Future? Probably Chelsea considering the signings they have made and the uncertainty right now over Aubameyang and transfer funds for Arteta.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Between Chelsea and Arsenal?

CL spot better than trophy?

I'd take the CL spot based on the circumstances of both clubs rebuilding.
Definitely Chelsea. Top 4 worth far more than FA Cup, both as an achievement as well as financially, no matter what critics of the ‘top 4’ cup have to say!

Chelsea can attract better players simply on that basis. It’s so obvious.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd probably prefer Arsenal's in and of itself but, taking into account the effect the league places will have on their futures, Chelsea's was probably better as having champions league footy will help bring in better quality players which, in the long run, will probably be more beneficial to them.

Still, I preferred our 15/16 season (5th but an FA Cup) and 16/17 season (6th but we won the Europa league and league cup) to our 17/18 season where we finished 2nd.

el3mel

As I said in the match thread, definitely Chelsea. This has been a disastrous season for Arsenal and this is just a nice ending for it that's all. Anyone who believe Arsenal had better season than us should also ask themselves if he believes they will have better season than us if we don't win EL.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Chelsea.

Even from economic perspective Champions League gives you more money than FA Cup win. Correct me if I'm wrong...

JustAGuest

Chelsea.

They have been the better team, and look to be in a better spot going forward.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea had the better season. Qualifying for the CL is easily better for the club than winning the FA cup.

But, as a fan, I've been much happier with our recent FA cup wins than the years when we were consistently finishing in the top 4 but not winning anything.

Fooza

Bit difficult to ask this question now when we don't know the outcome of the transfer window. That to me will determine who had the better season. (already Chelsea winning this)

But, in terms of rebuilding, CL is better than the FA cup, financially it's huge. If Arsenal has a poor window now (and maybe Auba still leaving?) than winning the FA Cup is nothing but just short term success.

So for me, Chelsea.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Well, Chelsea it’s not even about the CL spot they were just better all the way through. Arsenal saved theirs from being a joke massively though with that great victory.

cyberman

United. We have something we can actually build fron this season.
Chelsea seem to be ripping everything up next year. Its been a very ragged season from them.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Arsenal have to play Europa League next season. Won't help their cause one bit.

cyberman

Who has had the better season, Chelsea or Arsenal?

"United".
Oh my, im so used to the flame war on here I just jumped ahead.
Chelsea by a mile, its not even close. They finished 8th ffs

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Arsenal’s finish has been really positive and Arteta changed things up and outfoxed Lampard today. Players want medals so I think Arsenal will be the happier.

Top 4 is important for the big teams but medals still matter and the FA Cup is still such a nice one to win.

If United win the Europa, I will be delighted too. Don’t understand this downplaying of trophies and absolutely hated the “play the kids in Europa” thread. If we get to the final, it’s the grandest occasion of the season and one I will really enjoy.

el3mel

Arsenal’s finish has been really positive and Arteta changed things up and outfoxed Lampard today. Players want medals so I think Arsenal will be the happier.

Top 4 is important for the big teams but medals still matter and the FA Cup is still such a nice one to win.

If United win the Europa, I will be delighted too. Don’t understand this downplaying of trophies and absolutely hated the “play the kids in Europa” thread. If we get to the final, it’s the grandest occasion of the season and one I will really enjoy.
There's no downplaying trophies. Winning the cup today is nice for them but it's not going to miraculously make their season look good. It was a disastrous one. They finished 8th in the league with only 14 wins out of 38, and got KOed from EL in round of 32. The season included a sacking of a manager and appointing another one midway too. Overall, a disastrous season that's all.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal qualified for the CL 19 times in a row. No one really gives a feck for that stat.

14 FA Cups is a decent stat though.

Maluco

There's no downplaying trophies. Winning the cup today is nice for them but it's not going to miraculously make their season look good. It was a disastrous one. They finished 8th in the league with only 14 wins out of 38, and got KOed from EL in round of 32. The season included a sacking of a manager and appointing another one midway too. Overall, a disastrous season that's all.
Its tumultuous but it looks like they have finished it with a promising young manager, a team with actual shape and a trophy. They also get the European place they would have gotten finishing 5th.

I was very impressed how Arteta changed things up at the water break today and turned the game around. He looks pragmatic and I like that.

Chelsea will start next season with a better squad and in the CL, but I think Arsenal just might have the better manager and a trophy could well give them, and him, confidence going forward.

I think it’s a close call.

el3mel

Its tumultuous but it looks like they have finished it with a promising young manager, a team with actual shape and a trophy. They also get the European place they would have gotten finishing 5th.

I was very impressed how Arteta changed things up at the water break today and turned the game around. He looks pragmatic and I like that.

Chelsea will start next season with a better squad and in the CL, but I think Arsenal just might have the better manager and a trophy could well give them, and him, confidence going forward.

I think it’s a close call.
I also think Arteta has done a decent job there all things considered, as their squad is terrible and he got the job midway in the season. To salvage a cup and EL from such season deserves celebration from them no doubt, but all I'm saying it's not going to make their overall season look good in my opinion that's all.

But you're right that they ended the season on a positive note and they might start looking forward for the future, if they manage to have a good market.

Fooza

Arsenal qualified for the CL 19 times in a row. No one really gives a feck for that stat.

14 FA Cups is a decent stat though.
And yet now you're struggling to qualify for the CL. If you think that's not falling, then I don't know what is; no matter how many FA cups you win.

How are you going to compete with the teams with more financial power for the future? will the FA cup money help you? Come on... trophies are important, but the FA cup ain't important if it's comparing PL and CL success/or the road to compete for those trophies. CL spots do (money wise).

Maluco

I also think Arteta has done a decent job there all things considered, as their squad is terrible and he got the job midway in the season. To salvage a cup and EL from such season deserves celebration from them no doubt, but all I'm saying it's not going to make their overall season look good in my opinion that's all.

But you're right that they ended the season on a positive note and they might start looking forward for the future, if they manage to have a good market.
As you say, it’s so hard to tell with young managers and how the summer will go. I think Arteta has the biggest issues, with a lack of funds and problems all over the field, but he has done really well.

I agree that it could well hinge on transfers. All the top teams need to get things right this summer. The pressure will be on for everyone.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Chelsea by a decent margin, the only thing Arsenal have to look forward to is Aubameyang. Their transfer budget looks dire and it doesn't look like there are any game changing players coming through the academy either.

Amarsdd

Seriously, people can't be saying finishing 8th in the league and winning the FA cup is a better season than finishing 3rd or 4th when there were similar expectations of the teams at the beginning of the season. Winning a cup like FA cup is a great moment but should not really define the season.

Castia

Chelsea for sure. FA cup win is nice but finishing mid table for a club like Arsenal is piss poor.

Pretty sad state of affairs that 3/4th place is better than silverware but in the grand scheme of things with the money and player pulling power it certainly is more important than an FA Cup.