Who has had the better season?

lysglimt

Scout
If my only player of quality was 31 years, I would be worried - even if we won the FA Cup

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
And yet now you're struggling to qualify for the CL. If you think that's not falling, then I don't know what is; no matter how many FA cups you win.

How are you going to compete with the teams with more financial power for the future? will the FA cup money help you? Come on... trophies are important, but the FA cup ain't important if it's comparing PL and CL success/or the road to compete for those trophies. CL spots do (money wise).
You’re asking questions for another day. Today we’re celebrating the reason for supporting our club. Which is winning cups.

We were thoroughly lambasted for years for the response to finishing in the top 4. Now it’s the be-all-everything and more important than actually delivering trophies?

Nothing is guaranteed going forward, Chelsea had 3 significant injuries today and that will have an affect on them, not to mention the COVID affect and life in general.

CL football is what any fan wants. But if qualifying for the CL just to be in with a chance of competing for a different medal and getting the money for it, is genuinely better than winning a medal then I’m doing this football thing arse about face. But like another poster (duffer?) said, I’m old and have a different perspective.

Finished 8th! Tragic!
No Europe!

Won 14th FA Cup!
Qualified for Europe!

Softens the blow.

SAFMUTD

Top 4 all the way, obviously winning a cup is better than nothing but the financial impact of the missing UCL is so high that its the difference between getting quality players or not, making it harder to be in the top 4 the next year.

Green_Red

Ultimately history will remember who won the FA Cup in 2020. People looking back on this will give two shits about Chelsea finishing 4th and getting into the CL.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Chelsea.

Fa cup probably needs a revamp, because most teams of that stature would rather Chelsea's finish to the season than arsenal's and it shouldn't be like that.
How big are the cash prizes? As we all know, CL football means money for a whole other top player in your budget, maybe more. If an FA Cup victory could do that thenI think it would mean more. There would need to be kick on clauses in all the contracts for an FA Cup win just like CL qualification.

cyberman

Ultimately history will remember who won the FA Cup in 2020. People looking back on this will give two shits about Chelsea finishing 4th and getting into the CL.
Hows history remembering Arsenal over the last decade? I dont think its as winners tbh

Fooza

You’re asking questions for another day. Today we’re celebrating the reason for supporting our club. Which is winning cups.

We were thoroughly lambasted for years for the response to finishing in the top 4. Now it’s the be-all-everything and more important than actually delivering trophies?

Nothing is guaranteed going forward, Chelsea had 3 significant injuries today and that will have an affect on them, not to mention the COVID affect and life in general.

CL football is what any fan wants. But if qualifying for the CL just to be in with a chance of competing for a different medal and getting the money for it, is genuinely better than winning a medal then I’m doing this football thing arse about face. But like another poster (duffer?) said, I’m old and have a different perspective.

Finished 8th! Tragic!
No Europe!

Won 14th FA Cup!
Qualified for Europe!

Softens the blow.
By teams who are challenging for titles, of course they would banter. Just as Manutd are being lambasted now in a way. However, let's not forget the main goal. Every top teams first priority coming into any season is top 4, because it's vital. No one goes into season thinking FA cup is a priority.

Having said that, you're right it's still a trophy and goes into the history books. Let's hope it don't have a negative effect on your team being in the Europa league next year, as personally I think for Arsenal a year away from that league would have been ideal for your rebuild.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chelsea.

Wonder what Spurs fans are thinking though. Doing a jig of joy at making europa by finishing 6th and then Arsenal usurp them as usual by making europa by actually winning a trophy.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Hows history remembering Arsenal over the last decade? I dont think its as winners tbh
4 FA Cups?

It’s not an amazing record, but it’s on record.

We qualified for the CL maybe half a dozen times as well. But who remembers that?

The football fans on here have some weird perspective.

Let’s take Spurs for example. They were semi darlings on here during our worst period since the 50’s/60’s. They’ve had their golden period and got a shiny new stadium. They even qualified for the CL several times and reached the final.

How many trophies did that get them?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
By teams who are challenging for titles, of course they would banter. Just as Manutd are being lambasted now in a way. However, let's not forget the main goal. Every top teams first priority coming into any season is top 4, because it's vital. No one goes into season thinking FA cup is a priority.

Having said that, you're right it's still a trophy and goes into the history books. Let's hope it don't have a negative effect on your team being in the Europa league next year, as personally I think for Arsenal a year away from that league would have been ideal for your rebuild.
Pros and cons really but as things stand Arsenal have far more chance of making CL by winning the europa than finishing 4th imo.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Chelsea, they're playing decent most of the time and have some cracking players who seem to want to stay there. They've got themselves into a champions League spot and will be able to attract players easily. Already have done a bit of business and look close to more. You've got players like mount and pulisic to excite you. Still got deadwood at the back to shift mind. End of the day you can see Frank's plan.

Arsenal have papered over massive cracks, they're going to struggle next season, their best player (auba) wants out, and they have a lot of bang average players in their ranks. They don't seem to be going anywhere, I don't see their plan. Sure Lacazette wants out too? Nobody in that squad excites me. Pepe is hit and miss.
I think they'll lose players, buy in average players and hope they hit the ground running, or promote useless youth.

Chelsea's season has been promising basically because you can see a plan, and they can attract top talent. Arsenal are still headless chickens and fluked a trophy really, they'll struggle again next season.

Paul_Scholes18

I would rather take the cup. Annoyed we got knocked out, but we can still win the europa league.
CL is nice, but not expecting us to win it. Although I still hope for it.

Fooza

I would rather take the cup. Annoyed we got knocked out, but we can still win the europa league.
I'll be interested to know if there are any utd fans on here expecting to win the CL anytime soon, cause I ain't. For me it's never about winning, if we reach the knockout later stages that'd do for me.

But I really thought it's obvious to everyone CL allows us to build the team to take us to challenge for the PL and perhaps one day win the CL quicker, it gives us the money and makes our team more attractive in the market.

That for me is as important and honestly, I'd take the top 4 more than the FA cup if it means we challenge for the premier league. Can't be letting city and Liverpool dominate all the time.

Edit: forgot to mention, it's also important our team start having experience in the CL, even if we fail. It'll be worrying if they don't experience what it's like to be at the biggest stage. So that's also another reason why CL is vital. FA cup comes nowhere in terms of that experience.

Last edited:

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal

I wouldn’t have missed us in the EL next season.
Don’t get me wrong I want to win it, it’s a European trophy and it would mean a lot our European history is crap, but I think our squad is a bit fragile for all those far flung destinations.

I’ll be delighted if we went on to win it, (and finish 5th!) :lol: but like you said, Top 4 is a priority for the top sides (only in financial terms) and we need to get back into that money pot.

But purely from a Arsenal fans perspective, winning the FA cup while knocking Spurs into the qualifying rounds of the EL is exactly why we do this football supporting thing. It’s those little wins that mean as much as a top 4 money spot.

Amarsdd

Given the expectations and starting point at the beginning of the season, getting the CL position is a benchmark for improvement and more opportunities to better the team next year. FA cup is nice to win but I don't think it is any benchmark for improvement esp. in a season when you finish 8th. But of course, we shouldn't to be happy just finishing 4th every season like Arsenal were but this specific season it was a benchmark for us.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
As if 1 extra win in the FA Cup = a better season for a side who finished 8th vs one that finished 4th

Chelsea hands down and it shouldn't even be a question

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I suspect that Arsenal themselves would trade the Cup for 4th place given the opportunity. They need investment in the team and winning the Cup gives them a nice day out but doesn't help them going forwards.

I mean, its shit that this is the case, but it is what it is. Top 4 is better than the cup nowadays.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
As if 1 extra win in the FA Cup = a better season for a side who finished 8th vs one that finished 4th

Chelsea hands down and it shouldn't even be a question
You went and answered the question that shouldn’t have been asked.

Does that mean your answer is a non-answer?

Don’t reply if you don’t feel my question is worthy of being asked:D

CM10

Chelsea, though I think Arteta's doing a better job than Lampard.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Arsenal qualified for the CL 19 times in a row. No one really gives a feck for that stat.

14 FA Cups is a decent stat though.
I agree with this. You own this cup. So a better season but not a better team hence the league position.

Reiver

Chelsea. Even though I can't stand the way the media loves Lampard. 4th place, after a transfer ban and lost their best player.

Paul_Scholes18

Given the expectations and starting point at the beginning of the season, getting the CL position is a benchmark for improvement and more opportunities to better the team next year. FA cup is nice to win but I don't think it is any benchmark for improvement esp. in a season when you finish 8th. But of course, we shouldn't to be happy just finishing 4th every season like Arsenal were but this specific season it was a benchmark for us.
Yeah I am happy with our season. Just want to win things. I think you can build from outside the CL too if you scout and do it well and still spend the cash. Although being in CL can attract players slightly more.
I think playing in the CL makes it harder to do well in the league since you do not rotate as much as in the europa league if you want to do well.
Although Pool manage it with almost no rotation in the last two years. Not sure what they give Mane and Salah?
We need a bigger squad with quality to be able to compete in both well enough. I hope we will add 3 good players and not let any quality ones go.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Considering Arsenal broke their transfer record for the third year running and only managed 8th, I'd go for Chelsea (biased though I might be). Would be a different story if Arsenal had never won the FA Cup previously but that's obviously not the case here.

It's nice for the players / Arteta to lift silverware, but for the health of the club as a whole finishing 4th is clearly worth much more, especially as it seems likely Arsenal will have to go into next year with major deficiencies in the squad unaddressed.

Amarsdd

Considering Arsenal broke their transfer record for the third year running and only managed 8th, I'd go for Chelsea (biased though I might be). Would be a different story if Arsenal had never won the FA Cup previously but that's obviously not the case here.

It's nice for the players / Arteta to lift silverware, but for the health of the club as a whole finishing 4th is clearly worth much more, especially as it seems likely Arsenal will have to go into next year with major deficiencies in the squad unaddressed.
And having to play Europa league turns into a hindrance for the league when you don't have a big enough squad.

Blood Mage

The FA Cup has been a joke trophy for years but that won't stop deluded Arsenal fans from declaring themselves the best team in the country on the back of this win. Chelsea comfortably had a better season as Arsenal's league campaign was a hilarious disaster.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The FA Cup has been a joke trophy for years but that won't stop deluded Arsenal fans from declaring themselves the best team in the country on the back of this win. Chelsea comfortably had a better season as Arsenal's league campaign was a hilarious disaster.
Thats a bit OTT.

I've been impressed with Arteta. He had a clear tactical plan in place in place for both the City and Chelsea games, and more importantly got the team to follow those plans very well. I actually think Arsenal will turn out to be a stepping stone for him and he'll end up taking an even bigger job somewhere else in a couple of years.

el3mel

Very good point especially as they have to go through the qualifying stages (unless I'm much mistaken).
Nope. They'll start from group stage as Fa Cup winners. Spurs will be the ones to play the qualifying stages.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nope. They'll start from group stage as Fa Cup winners. Spurs will be the ones to play the qualifying stages.
Oh! Well that's a nice perk for Arsenal. Still wouldn't say that tips the scales of this question in their balance, mind, but I appreciate the clarification!

lilcurt

Chelsea, this shouldn't even be a conversation. You just need to ask yourself if next season you'd rather finish 8th with the FA Cup or top 4.

It shouldn't be this way mind, but the revenue and prestige for being in the Champions League is massive.

FA Cup needs a revamp to make it relevant.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The football fans on here have some weird perspective.
Interesting you would say that

Think the answer is this is a manchester united board and most people here haven't forgotten what it is to be fans of a big club

Anyways, from the club's perspectives it's chelsea and it's not close. For the players...no idea. Maybe arsenal actually

For the fans, depends how much you care about the FA Cup/how you approach the CL. I can see how being fodder can take the shine off getting to play Bayern Munich...

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Pure hyperbole!

You might as well erase all of Manchester United’s FA achievements with that attitude. Do Trebles, Doubles and history making wins out of nothing mean anything without a magical FA cup thrown in?

Whatever you may think about Arsenal and the cup, don’t do a disservice by declaring it a joke.

Some of mine, and I guess many on here can remember amazing FA cup moments that conjured up as good as any European nights.

Trophies are as real as it gets, money leagues are as real as the imaginary money swirling around the football leagues.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Chelsea had the better season but Arsenal have the bragging rights. You can brag about the trophy, you won. Chelsea didn't win, they just did good.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think Chelsea for me, although I think the elation of European football and a trophy will be more than good enough for Arsenal fans. I think both teams have very promising trajectories, Arteta's done quite a good job, better than he's been given credit for.

arthurka

Chelsea.. not that the CL money will matter to Roman as he probably still have some leftovers from old CCCP retirement money he stole back in the days. Arsenal could have used that money and would have needed it more than Chelsea. But a cup is a cup and that is really what is counted not how many times you qualified for the CL in your career..

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Interesting you would say that

Think the answer is this is a manchester united board and most people here haven't forgotten what it is to be fans of a big club

Anyways, from the club's perspectives it's chelsea and it's not close. For the players...no idea. Maybe arsenal actually

For the fans, depends how much you care about the FA Cup/how you approach the CL. I can see how being fodder can take the shine off getting to play Bayern Munich...
I really believe that players want medals, particularly at the top clubs. I also believe that the majority of those players are only really at the clubs they’re at due to personal financial motivation. I’d rather finish my career with a few extra million in the bank than a few pieces of metal...

Fans, like myself like records and history. It’s what draws us in. We fans obviously care more for the trophies, but like you said, people forget.

Not having CL money is a challenge, but it’s not like teams can’t get back into it and be successful.

There is a shine to playing Bayern, but no one remembers past that if you lose..

Unless you just want your team making money and playing the big names..

There is a shine to playing Bayern, but no one remembers past that if you lose..

oh wait.. European Super League.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I really believe that players want medals, particularly at the top clubs. I also believe that the majority of those players are only really at the clubs they’re at due to personal financial motivation. I’d rather finish my career with a few extra million in the bank than a few pieces of metal...

Fans, like myself like records and history. It’s what draws us in. We fans obviously care more for the trophies, but like you said, people forget.

Not having CL money is a challenge, but it’s not like teams can’t get back into it and be successful.

Unless you just want your team making money and playing the big names..

oh wait.. European Super League.
Sorry mate how drunk are you? Perfectly understandable if you are even if your post isn't.

Tarrou

Right now you’d take Chelsea’s season if you were a player, as the team that is on the up

Looking back on your career you’d take the trophy. No one will give a feck about UCL qualifications when it’s all said and done - unless they win it

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Sorry mate how drunk are you? Perfectly understandable if you are even if your post isn't.
It’s still early here in Alberta..

I watched it this morning from 10:30 am..

It’s not just the beers, it’s the other legal stuff that’s problematic with the cut and pasting:D

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It’s still early here in Alberta..

I watched it this morning from 10:30 am..

It’s not just the beers, it’s the other legal stuff that’s problematic with the cut and pasting:D
Hah hope you have a good one mate. Enjoy yourself and have a great weekend!