Who is better at football between Bruno and Eriksen?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Take 'football' to mean whatever you want. If you're a statto, you're probably just going to look at goals and assists, if not, there'll be a broader range of things to consider. Seems to be a worthwhile topic given how diverse the outlook is on the both of them.

Who is better, and why?

Could this be a poll, please?

OL29

They’re both good at different things but I’d say at their best Bruno provides more value to a team.

NYAS

Just reads like another thread to shit on Bruno, tbh.

What’s your opinion on it @Fortitude?

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Eriksen has a better track record. Bruno on his first year at Man Utd is right up there with Eriksen, but obviously Eriksen has shown that level basicly 10 years. Eriksen did have a bad spell at Inter, but after that and what happened at EC, he has shown already that he's still got it. I personally think Bruno is still the player that you saw the first year. I don't believe he is a one year wonder, eventhough there are people writing him off already. But at this point you have to say that Eriksen's track record provides more certainty that he will bring top level than Bruno. On the other hand, as I said if Bruno gets back to the level he's shown in his first year at United he is right up there with Eriksen and obviously he has a whole carreer ahead of him. Eriksen is 30 now, so might start declining in the coming years.

MrEleson

Eriksen has a better track record. Bruno on his first year at Man Utd is right up there with Eriksen, but obviously Eriksen has shown that level basicly 10 years. Eriksen did have a bad spell at Inter, but after that and what happened at EC, he has shown already that he's still got it. I personally think Bruno is still the player that you saw the first year. I don't believe he is a one year wonder, eventhough there are people writing him off already. But at this point you have to say that Eriksen's track record provides more certainty that he will bring top level than Bruno. On the other hand, as I said if Bruno gets back to the level he's shown in his first year at United he is right up there with Eriksen and obviously he has a whole carreer ahead of him. Eriksen is 30 now, so might start declining in the coming years.
Eriksen is only 2 years older than Bruno.

And to answer the OP; they offer slightly different things. I’d say if you want someone to lead a side, Bruno is your man. His style is more erratic and wasteful but he’s a better goalscorer while Eriksen is a better set-piece taker (FKs & corners). I’d say both are close in most other attributes although I’d take Eriksen at his best as I’m simply not a fan of Bruno’s gung-ho style and always wanting to play the difficult pass as opposed to keeping it calm and simple which Eriksen is much better at. His football intelligence just seems higher.

NewYorkRed

This is actually tough. Bruno has a higher ceiling but Eriksen is more consistent. Bruno scores way more goals but Eriksen’s passing is better.

I would pick Bruno just because I think when consistent (which will come) he is up there as the very best in his position in the world.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Eriksen is only 2 years older than Bruno.

And to answer the OP; they offer slightly different things. I’d say if you want someone to lead a side, Bruno is your man. His style is more erratic and wasteful but he’s a better goalscorer while Eriksen is a better set-piece taker (FKs & corners). I’d say both are close in most other attributes although I’d take Eriksen at his best as I’m simply not a fan of Bruno’s gung-ho style and always wanting to play the difficult pass as opposed to keeping it calm and simple which Eriksen is much better at. His football intelligence just seems higher.
Almost 3, but I did think he was at least a year younger. Nevertheless I think Bruno is now really (getting) in the peak of his carreer whereas Eriksen is getting towards the end of that peak. But obviously Eriksen at Bruno's current age had done more than Bruno has so far. Furthermore I agree with your last two sentences. I think that's the main difference between the two.

MrEleson

Almost 3, but I did think he was at least a year younger. Nevertheless I think Bruno is now really (getting) in the peak of his carreer whereas Eriksen is getting towards the end of that peak. But obviously Eriksen at Bruno's current age had done more than Bruno has so far. Furthermore I agree with your last two sentences. I think that's the main difference between the two.
Fair enough. 2-3 years is a lot in football tbh, especially around the late-20s range. Bruno may well be getting to the best part of his peak while Eriksen is at the end of his as you stated.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Before he got snubbed out of a move out of Spurs I'd say Eriksen. Now however... I haven't been following him since he did leave them, but assuming he's a similar player now, just as technical and great a passer but less work-rate.

If my assumption is correct, then I'd say Bruno. Big fan of Eriksen, and i think he is a brilliant players that even if he is somewhat reduced from his prime at Spurs would still offer us a lot, and something very different to Bruno. Bruno tends to be on the end of things, Eriksen tends to be the one to make the player around him get into those situations.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Bruno is worth an awful lot more money. I’d say there isn’t much between them ability wise currently.
You don’t think Bruno cost us in the big moments last season? Villa home, Boro cup, Watford away, Watford home, Arsenal away cost us top four on his own, palace away almost individually put us in europa conference or do you just like him? Does he run about enough for you despite his horrific last season. Because it was just horrific last season and he better buck up this season because Erickson is a better player in any case. There’s a gulf in ability.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Is this really a question? Bruno has six months of form. Erickson has been absolutely quality for years

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The stats say Bruno but my eyes say Eriksen.

Currently Id prefer Eriksen if I was building a team but I'm sure their are plenty of reasons that I'm wrong.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
This is actually tough. Bruno has a higher ceiling but Eriksen is more consistent. Bruno scores way more goals but Eriksen’s passing is better.

I would pick Bruno just because I think when consistent (which will come) he is up there as the very best in his position in the world.
Are you serious with this? Eriksen has been consistently a functional part of a team week in week out where Bruno is purely individual. Eriksen is absolute quality

The_Midfielder

Bruno is twice the player Eriksen was/is

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Eriksen can help to control a game better than Fernandes, who's pretty wasteful at times.

Caesar2290

I don't quiet understand the comparison. Despite being similar, these players are quiet different.

Both of them are basically a better version of Juan Mata.

Bruno is Juan Mata with more pace, grit, attitude and workrate, but less technique and finess.

Eriksen is basically Juan Mata with the same technique, finess and vision, slightly faster with more workrate, but still less than Bruno.

While being similar, these 2 are still different players.

The only reason Eriksen is rated so highly is because he didn't play for us. I already see how the caf would react when he attempts a through ball, losses possession and just site there and jogs back a la Pogba. This place would eat him for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For those of you wondering what I'm talking about, this season he has a 74.4% pass completion rate, where Bruno has 75%. And Bruno is supposed to have a mare of a season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Eriksen can help to control a game better than Fernandes, who's pretty wasteful at times.
Just like with Lukaku I'll never take to Bruno no matter how many stats get launched in my face.

Kaushal

If goals and assists are your measurement yardsticks about a player only - Bruno

If you love football - Eriksen

Blood Mage

Not much between them technically but Eriksen is a more intelligent and polished player. Let's see what ETH can do with Bruno, who's been lumbered with some fecking shite coaches, while Eriksen was coached by Poch and Conte.

Kaushal

People saying Bruno better than Eriksen would never say Lampard better than Scholes.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
For those of you wondering what I'm talking about, this season he has a 74.4% pass completion rate, where Bruno has 75%. And Bruno is supposed to have a mare of a season.
Are you sure that's correct?

All the places Ive looked (May not be as accurate as your source though Infogol/ whoscored) say Bruno's was around 79% and Eriksen 81%.

Plus it looks like Eriksen never dipped below 80% in the premier league while Bruno never achieved 80% over a season.

I think their stats are actually quite close in their "Best Season" (for goals and assists).

2016/17 Eriksen scored 8 (0 pens) and assisted 15 while in 20/21 Fernandes scored 18 (9 pens) and assisted 12.

I think they were more or less the same age too.

So the Pens make the big difference, of course there is the fact that there is a skill in scoring them too.

I think people forget just how good Eriksen was. (16/17 highlights)

He could do all the flashy stuff AND control a game.

In saying that Eriksen is older and has his health issues to realistically he won't reach that peak again.

Last edited:

NewYorkRed

Are you serious with this? Eriksen has been consistently a functional part of a team week in week out where Bruno is purely individual. Eriksen is absolute quality
Do you know what the term having a higher ceiling means?

I am absolutely serious about what I said. Also purely individual players don’t create the amount of chances and get the amount of assists Bruno does.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
You don’t think Bruno cost us in the big moments last season? Villa home, Boro cup, Watford away, Watford home, Arsenal away cost us top four on his own, palace away almost individually put us in europa conference or do you just like him? Does he run about enough for you despite his horrific last season. Because it was just horrific last season and he better buck up this season because Erickson is a better player in any case. There’s a gulf in ability.
He was terrible and I’ve been saying it for ages. I don’t get why you keep jumping on me about saying in the past that I admire Bruno’s energy :lol: It’s his first really bad season in ages though. If you check my posts from the start of the season I had major doubts that Bruno could keep it up with Ronadlo arriving into a team with notably lower energy and aggression players such as Greenwood Pogba Sancho and Rashford just seemingly sent out with no plan. It’s a joke.

Bruno definitely needs to improve again but at his best which is not that long ago he was very productive in a position we don’t currently (and probably can’t afford) anyone else of similar quality. If he has wiling runners and players pressing with and for him I still think he can be a top player again for us. I have more hope in him being the answer again next season than I do of Ronaldo really catching fire or Rashford resembling an international footballer again.

allen7

Bruno for me.
Eriksen is a level below Bruno and so many are judging bruno based on last season’s poor form. I personally feel eriksen will be a Mata type of signing for us, fighting for the No.10 spot and will end up as a squad option.

Idxomer

Eriksen at his peak was better but both are generally overrated.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
What is with this forum always wanting to pit our players against each other? Then people get entrenched in their views and then there’s a BrunoFC and EriksenFC. It’s toxic. Please stop.

dasty

Ridiculous how the so called "supporters" of this club turns on one of the important players of the club so quickly. Seriously one of the worst fanbase in the world.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Top level - Eriksen as he retains the ball better and is more tactically diverse
Our Level - Bruno as he tries something all the time and in a team of people who have been scared / reluctant / incapable of making things happen he has been a catalyst for opportunities (albeit at the expense of pressing and giving the ball away a fair bit)

Personally id like to have both here next season but my gut feel is that Erikson does not fancy it as it seems we made an offer more than a week ago but there is no progress

Jev

Eriksen has never been anyway near as decisive as Bruno was during his first year with us. But he's also never been near as destructive as Bruno was for half his games last season.

It depends what you need really. If I were to field a team tomorrow, I'd have Eriksen ahead based on Bruno's recent displays and reasonable doubts as to whether his true level is closer to his lows than his peaks.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
They both have there qualities and both have some negatives. Bruno has the stats to show which is outstanding for a midfielder. Eriksen is better on the ball and can probably control a game a lot better. Both will bring a lot of creativity. I’d say Bruno has better work rate… the question is which one would you start as the deeper midfielder? Who has the better range of passing?