Who is currently the face of Utd for you?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Was talking to a mate over the festive period (he's a Liverpool fan...), and we were talking about how every PL club will always have someone who is essentially the 'face of the club', or the 'figurehead' - might be a manager, might be a talisman player, might be an owner etc.

Obviously Utd has been built for over 25 years on a Cult of Personality, with Ferguson's image as the central focus, and for many PL clubs the manager is the face of the club - Liverpool with Klopp, Guardiola at City, Dyche at Burnley, Howe at Bournemouth and so on.

Other club's owners, for better or worse are the current face of their club - Daniel Levy, Abramovich, Tan Family (R.I.P to their former owner), Mike Ashley etc.

Some clubs will also have a player who is the face of the club - Vardy, Kane, Aguero, Noble at W.Ham, Terry when at Chelsea, Gerrard etc.

Yet for Utd, the actual owners are too hands off and distant to be viewed as the face of the club, and the managers post Fergie haven't had the power over the club needed to stake such a claim... the players are lacking any leaders at all, let alone one so strong that they could be viewed as 'face of the club'.

So the question is - who is the face of this, current Manchester United?

My mate put it to me that Ed Woodard is actually the face of Utd now... he's overseen every decision post Fergie, he's involved with the First Team (somehow), he oversees financial matters, and he's a regular sight at games home and away.

I scoffed initially, but the more I think about it, I think he's right.

I believe that we've slowly allowed our club to essentially become Ed Woodward Utd...

What say you lot - is there someone else I'm overlooking? For better or worse, who is the figurehead of current Manchester United? Whose identity is most upon this team / club at present?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Definitely Woodward. Which is tragic.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its not Woodward - he doesn't seek and he doesn't really have a public profile.

If its anyone its probably Rashford.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I feel like this is two separate questions, as we currently do not have an identity. But the figurehead? Pogba, DDG and Rashford- in that order.

svn

It's definitely Rashford. Probably our best player, English, came through the youth team, Manchester born and bred.

Rhyme Animal

Its not Woodward - he doesn't seek and he doesn't really have a public profile.

If its anyone its probably Rashford.
Is the most famous CEO in the PL (maybe in global football).

Briefs the press regularly - unlike say Abramovich, City's owners, Liverpool owners, Tan Family etc.

Has overseen every decision the club has made post Fergie - interacts regularly with the first team.

Regularly at games home and away.

The club has been shaped in his image.

Alexit

Pogba when he was fit and playing. At the moment it's Rashford.

Lebowski

Can we hide this thread from search results? If he finds it, you just know Woodward would be tugging one out to the idea that so many fans see him as the face of Man Utd.

In fact that sounds like the most apt state to catch him in for his face of the club photoshoot - standing on the OT centre circle, trousers down, mid-tug. J-Lingz would be dabbing by the corner flag and the Glazers would be driving off into the distance with a car full of our cash. How is that for on brand content delivery.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
And we all know the specific face we're talking about.

It probably is Woodward, or Ole looking doom-laden on the bench. On the positive side I'd be happy for it to eventually be Rashford, he's scored some great goals for us over this shitty period.

OleBoiii

If not Woodward, then perhaps Mickey Mouse?

Woodward is claimed to have said that United was ‘like an adult version of Disneyland’ in a bid to persuade Klopp that Old Trafford was the right choice. But the current Liverpool boss is said to have found Woodward’s sales pitch ‘unsexy’ and instead he opted to stay for another season at Dortmund.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
At the moment I would say Rashford as cannot guarantee Pogba will stay past the summer. Everybody knows Ed Woodward though and that really should not be happening.

djembatheking

This is amazing. I think this is evidence enough to close this thread!

He should be sponsored by a photo company. Ed bring them in and use this to show how you make a great picture.
Got another 4 years of faces to add to this so by the time he retires it will be quite an impressive portfolio. What it takes to be a United player.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ed Woodward. A redfaced accountant with a napoleon complex.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Rashford is the face of United in terms of your players and you should be marketing him as the face of United at every opportunity.

At the moment I would say Rashford as cannot guarantee Pogba will stay past the summer. Everybody knows Ed Woodward though and that really should not be happening.
This is a good point. Yes, we hear about people like Levy and other board members but they're spoken about during certain periods for Spurs. It feels like every single time United are in the news you'll also read a little bit about Woodward in that article. That's bad press.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rashford is the face of United in terms of your players and you should be marketing him as the face of United at every opportunity.

This is a good point. Yes, we hear about people like Levy and other board members but they're spoken about during certain periods for Spurs. It feels like every single time United are in the news you'll also read a little bit about Woodward in that article. That's bad press.
The press are pushing the Woodward narrative because they know United fans need a villain. The obsessing over his job is because random fans love to play expert on his role and they keep feeding it.

podurban2

The press are pushing the Woodward narrative because they know United fans need a villain. The obsessing over his job is because random fans love to play expert on his role and they keep feeding it.
I don’t think anyone needs the press to see that we are a poorly managed club.

Rhyme Animal

Not sure if serious... the press give Woodward an easy time given what he's done to the biggest English club.